Using TurboTax online

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
User avatar
tc101
Posts: 3030
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:18 pm
Location: Atlanta - Retired in 2004 at age 54

Using TurboTax online

Post by tc101 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:47 pm

I am going to start my taxes using TurboTax online. I experimented with several other cheaper online tax programs last year and I found them to be more trouble than they were worth, then ended up doing it with TurboTax.

I don't like the pricing games they play, but I don't mind paying them in order to save time and aggravation doing my taxes.

I went to the web site, signed in, and it looks like I need the Premier version for $54.99. Is there any cheaper way to use TT and be able to import all your tax info from Vanguard and other financial institutions?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

b23
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by b23 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:55 pm

I filed my tax with TurboTax both Fed and State (NC) free of cost.
You can manually input the Form 1099-* info. Did not take me much time.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13057
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by Toons » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:03 pm

tc101 wrote:I am going to start my taxes using TurboTax online. I experimented with several other cheaper online tax programs last year and I found them to be more trouble than they were worth, then ended up doing it with TurboTax.

I don't like the pricing games they play, but I don't mind paying them in order to save time and aggravation doing my taxes.

I went to the web site, signed in, and it looks like I need the Premier version for $54.99. Is there any cheaper way to use TT and be able to import all your tax info from Vanguard and other financial institutions?

That looks like a good price for Premier
Amazon 65.00
74-76 everywhere else. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
tc101
Posts: 3030
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:18 pm
Location: Atlanta - Retired in 2004 at age 54

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by tc101 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:27 pm

That looks like a good price for Premier
Amazon 65.00
74-76 everywhere else.
Well remember that is the online version which has always been cheaper.
I filed my tax with TurboTax both Fed and State (NC) free of cost.
You can manually input the Form 1099-* info. Did not take me much time.
It would take me a while. I would pay $60 not to have to do it.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

User avatar
powermega
Posts: 1137
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:07 am
Location: Colorado

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by powermega » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Are you not able to import the 1099? Does TT not see your Vanguard 1099?

I understand the need to import if you have a lot of transactions.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

carolinaman
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by carolinaman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:15 pm

b23 wrote:I filed my tax with TurboTax both Fed and State (NC) free of cost.
You can manually input the Form 1099-* info. Did not take me much time.
Please let us know how you did that?

User avatar
tc101
Posts: 3030
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:18 pm
Location: Atlanta - Retired in 2004 at age 54

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by tc101 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Are you not able to import the 1099? Does TT not see your Vanguard 1099?
I have not bought it yet, but it says on the website that to import you need the premier version.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13057
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by Toons » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:33 pm

tc101 wrote:
Are you not able to import the 1099? Does TT not see your Vanguard 1099?
I have not bought it yet, but it says on the website that to import you need the premier version.

Personally I would not pay the extra money to have data imported.
It doesn't take long to key in your own data
I do my own taxes and have since 1996'
Turbotax for years.
TaxAct the last 6 years :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Valdeselad
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by Valdeselad » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:58 pm

tc101 wrote:
Are you not able to import the 1099? Does TT not see your Vanguard 1099?
I have not bought it yet, but it says on the website that to import you need the premier version.
Just go to Penfed.org and there is a link on the front page to TT that will save you money (39.99 for premier). You don't have to be a member to take advantage of it (which surprised me as I am a member).
Last edited by Valdeselad on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 1903
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:53 pm

I've used it for a few years and think it's worth it. I think Fidelity has a deal with them. You might want to google 'turbotax deals'
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Valdeselad wrote:
tc101 wrote:
Are you not able to import the 1099? Does TT not see your Vanguard 1099?
I have not bought it yet, but it says on the website that to import you need the premier version.
Just go to Penfed.org and there is a link on the front page to TT that will save you money (37.99 for premier). You don't have to be a member to take advantage of it (which surprised me as I am a member).
How much is Deluxe Fed + State E-File thru Penfed?

Thanks.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

retire14
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:27 am

I got it free via my Fido account

Post by retire14 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Finished my taxes today. I liked it better than the CD version that I have been buying every year.
If you have a Fido account, look under Guidance Retirement >Taxes. You will see a Turbo Tax icon on the right panel.

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1509
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:14 pm

Valdeselad wrote:Just go to Penfed.org and there is a link on the front page to TT that will save you money (37.99 for premier). You don't have to be a member to take advantage of it (which surprised me as I am a member).
I don't see it, Premier shows at $74.99
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Valdeselad
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by Valdeselad » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:25 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Valdeselad wrote:Just go to Penfed.org and there is a link on the front page to TT that will save you money (37.99 for premier). You don't have to be a member to take advantage of it (which surprised me as I am a member).
I don't see it, Premier shows at $74.99
Front page, all the way at the bottom on the right side (you have to scroll down to see it) - follow that TT link and premier is 39.99

Valdeselad
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by Valdeselad » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
Valdeselad wrote:
tc101 wrote:
Are you not able to import the 1099? Does TT not see your Vanguard 1099?
I have not bought it yet, but it says on the website that to import you need the premier version.
Just go to Penfed.org and there is a link on the front page to TT that will save you money (37.99 for premier). You don't have to be a member to take advantage of it (which surprised me as I am a member).
How much is Deluxe Fed + State E-File thru Penfed?

Thanks.
Looks like federal is 24.99 and it just says state is additional

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1509
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 pm

Right, I see now that you are talking about the online version. Not sure where it stands now but in the past the online version did not let you go into FORMS view, something I find useful. Has this changed??
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

amitb00
Posts: 438
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by amitb00 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:44 pm

From fidelity I can get premier online version at 39.99. Prices valid until mid March

User avatar
Fat-Tailed Contagion
Posts: 872
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:49 am

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:59 am

Valdeselad wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
Valdeselad wrote:
tc101 wrote:
Are you not able to import the 1099? Does TT not see your Vanguard 1099?
I have not bought it yet, but it says on the website that to import you need the premier version.
Just go to Penfed.org and there is a link on the front page to TT that will save you money (37.99 for premier). You don't have to be a member to take advantage of it (which surprised me as I am a member).
How much is Deluxe Fed + State E-File thru Penfed?

Thanks.
Looks like federal is 24.99 and it just says state is additional
For me it was like $30 + $37 for State - not a deal.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

jucor
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:35 am

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by jucor » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:40 pm

As a State Farm Bank customer Turbotax Premier online was free for federal and $20 for state -- total of $20 plus sales tax. Link on SF Bank home page after login.

RudyS
Posts: 1371
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by RudyS » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Just completed my return using TT Deluxe, downloaded version. It WAS ABLE to import data from Vanguard and Morgan Stanley WM. It also handled a 1041-K1 from an inheritance. They DID suggest I go to Premier to deal with investments,but that was just a sales ploy.

retired early&luv it
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:52 am

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by retired early&luv it » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:13 am

In the past two years, I paid $10 under the Vanguard discount for Flagship for Premier on line. A couple days ago Turbo Tax sent me an e-mail with a discount offer of $20 off. I sign in to Turbo Tax, that discount was now down to $15, no longer $20. And there was an extremely hard phrase to see that was in light light blue on a white background that said State Information or maybe it said State Additional, I clicked on that and found that they now plan to charge me $35 for state return which in the past I got for free. So, that $20 discount had morphed into a negative number pretty fast.

I think I will use TaxAct next year, but this year I do not want to have to learn a new system.

b23
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by b23 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:30 am

carolinaman wrote:
b23 wrote:I filed my tax with TurboTax both Fed and State (NC) free of cost.
You can manually input the Form 1099-* info. Did not take me much time.
Please let us know how you did that?
Sorry for late response! Lets say you have 1099-DIV form.

1. Go to Federal Return section.
2. There would be section Dividend and Interest
3. Click Add New (or something similar)
5. Select form type (lets say 1099-DIV)
4. Give a form name (user given like "Vanguard 1099-DIV", "Fidelity 1099-DIV" etc)
5. Enter the values by BOX number (like amount in box 1a, 1b, 2a)
6. If you have more info, click the link "I have more information" (or something similar link)
7. Fill out the other boxes (like 2b, 2c, 2d, 3, 4 etc.)

-Cheers! :beer

P.S. Today I got me refund as well! :greedy

Ybsybs
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Using TurboTax online

Post by Ybsybs » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:34 am

I used to use TurboTax, but I no longer consider it a good value. In years with clear tax situations, I'd rather use free fillable forms where I can get at the actual 1040 and schedules myself without dealing with annoying interfaces. In years with more complex tax situations, I want a CPA who has experience interpreting the tax regulations and will support me in the event of an audit.

Post Reply