Applied for 100 jobs, no callbacks. What's up?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
betterfinances

Applied for 100 jobs, no callbacks. What's up?

Post by betterfinances » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:07 pm

What is wrong with the job market right now? I am (not too seriously) looking for a different job. I work in the mechanical engineering industry, and have a bs and Ms in mech eng. About 10-15 years experience. I have submitted my resume online to 100 positions in the last 2 weeks and have received 0 followup to the positions!

How is the Engineering job market right now?
Last edited by betterfinances on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arizonaslim

Re: Applied for 100 jobs, no callbacks. What's up?

Post by arizonaslim » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Alas, you're not the first person to share this tale. As for the problem, it isn't you. It's the economy. :(

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:10 pm

No knowledge of that job market but I know our company often does not make contact with applicants within two weeks. They leave it up to the hiring manager to select applicants for follow-up, and if there are a ton of applicants and the hiring manager is very busy, it takes a while.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:10 pm

2 weeks?
Give it a little more time.
In the interim ,keep sending out applications.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

mac808

Post by mac808 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:13 pm

From what I've seen, hiring has frozen up significantly since shortly after New Years. I think companies are waiting to see which way the economy turns.

btks

Post by btks » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:13 pm

100 jobs in two weeks seem like a lot... are you personalizing any of the cover letters (if applicable) to be more geared towards the companies and highlighting how you can help them (based on job description)? Just a thought.

Though it was six months ago, my roommate applied to about 100 jobs, but he wasn't personalizing cover letters or doing anything unique. He filled them out rather quickly. It took a month or two before he heard back from anyone, but he did end up with a job. Out of 100 or more, he got three interviews.

betterfinances

Post by betterfinances » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:15 pm

btks wrote:100 jobs in two weeks seem like a lot... are you personalizing any of the cover letters (if applicable) to be more geared towards the companies and highlighting how you can help them (based on job description)? Just a thought.
No cover letters. I consider those a waste of my time and their time. The four offers that I have received in my career were all without cover letters.
Last edited by betterfinances on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btks

Post by btks » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:16 pm

betterfinances wrote:
btks wrote:100 jobs in two weeks seem like a lot... are you personalizing any of the cover letters (if applicable) to be more geared towards the companies and highlighting how you can help them (based on job description)? Just a thought.
No cover letters. I consider those a waste of my time and their time. The four offers that I have received on my career were all without cover letters.
That's a good point. I also consider them a waste of time... but wasn't sure if companies take them seriously. Many companies require them. Some leave it as optional. And, others, don't want them at all.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:17 pm

In this market, you may want to make sure that your resume is super sharp - and hopefully tailored to each job where possible.

I hire people (in a different industry) with similar level of education and I see many resumes that are just plain old sloppy. So when there is a sharp resume it draws my attention. Just as a data point - I spent less that one minute looking at the resume before discarding it. So you have to make it interesting enough for someone to continue looking at it beyond the first minute. Yours may not be sloppy, but it may not be setting you apart either.

Just my 2 cents.

Joey_Freshwater

Post by Joey_Freshwater » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:20 pm

betterfinances wrote:What is wrong with the job market right now? I am (not too seriously) looking for a different job. I work in the mechanical engineering industry, and have a bs and Ms in mech eng. About 10-15 years experience. I have submitted my resume online to 100 positions in the last 2 weeks and have received 0 followup to the positions!

Submitting Resume's online is a total waste of time. They get so many job applications that there is little chance that yours will be looked at.

Here are strategies that do work:
1). Get on linked in and start networking with people you would like to work for/with. Just send them a message and tell them you would like to network and chat a little bit about their job and how they like X company.
2). Ask family/friends for introductions to mechanical engineers or related. Offer to buy these people a cup of coffee or breakfast/lunch to talk about their careers.

These people will remember you when jobs open up. Or conversely, you could ask if one of them will reach out to the hiring manager and put a work in for you.

btks

Post by btks » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:20 pm

kxpatel wrote:In this market, you may want to make sure that your resume is super sharp - and hopefully tailored to each job where possible.

I hire people (in a different industry) with similar level of education and I see many resumes that are just plain old sloppy. So when there is a sharp resume it draws my attention. Just as a data point - I spent less that one minute looking at the resume before discarding it. So you have to make it interesting enough for someone to continue looking at it beyond the first minute. Yours may not be sloppy, but it may not be setting you apart either.

Just my 2 cents.
Can you clarify what you consider a sharp resume? What will draw your attention?

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:25 pm

betterfinances wrote:What is wrong with the job market right now? I am (not too seriously) looking for a different job. I work in the mechanical engineering industry, and have a bs and Ms in mech eng. About 10-15 years experience. I have submitted my resume online to 100 positions in the last 2 weeks and have received 0 followup to the positions!

I'd say apply your skills. If there's a desired outcome, and the input, your resume, isn't producing it, what's the difference that will go the distance? Should the resume change? Should the approach change?

I'd say experiment, if necessary, to find out.

Is the desired outcome reasonably possible given the constraints?

And I agree. It's tough out there. For just one example, whatever can be digitized can be done anywhere in the world, due to the wonders of cheap communication. For another, whatever can be printed doesn't have to be built. The product needs design, but not all the things that used to be necessary to create the product. Whatever can be solved on the nano level using innovative materials doesn't have to be solved on the macro level. You get the picture.

PJW

Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:28 pm

mac808 wrote:From what I've seen, hiring has frozen up significantly since shortly after New Years. I think companies are waiting to see which way the economy turns.
I would suspect this. With the downturn in the economy and oil, businesses might be leery to hire on more staff until things become less volatile.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:30 pm

betterfinances wrote:No cover letters. I consider those a waste of my time and their time. The four offers that I have received in my career were all without cover letters.
In the last job I had before retiring, the hiring manager told me that one of the reasons he hired me was the effective cover letter I attached to my resume.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:31 pm

betterfinances wrote:
No cover letters. I consider those a waste of my time and their time. The four offers that I have received in my career were all without cover letters.
CVs/resumes/applications all look the same after you've looked a dozen or more. The cover letters are what stands out. Would it be a waste of your time if you could send out 20 applications with cover letters instead of 100 without them to get the same number of interviews?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:32 pm

And I find it amazing that you could send out 100 applications. I think if I was looking for a job in my field in an area of the country I'm willing to live that I'd be stumped to have anyone to send one to after about 10 or so.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

psystal

Post by psystal » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:39 pm

EmergDoc wrote:
betterfinances wrote:
CVs/resumes/applications all look the same after you've looked a dozen or more. The cover letters are what stands out. Would it be a waste of your time if you could send out 20 applications with cover letters instead of 100 without them to get the same number of interviews?
+1

What you think as the applicant is irrelevant. Hiring managers and the HR types scanning your application out of hundreds of others are, for better or worse, inclined to use cover letters as a filter. Great cover letters land great jobs all the time. Some employers won't even look at your application without a cover letter.

Two of the three offers I've accepted were the result of an outstanding application package anchored with a strong cover letter.

Other than that, bide your time. Two weeks is nothing - you'll likely be getting calls from some of these people 6 months after you submitted the application, and for them it will be processed in record time.

rayson

Post by rayson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Companies usually receive a ton of online applications, so there is usually up to 3 months of processing time unless there is a pressing need to close a position. My recommendation to you is to slow down and be very selective in choosing which positions you want to apply to. Often times simple changes like rearranging bullet points to highlight relevant experiences specific to the job description will increase your response rate.

billern

Post by billern » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Tailoring the cover letter (and resume) to the individual company is what shows them you have done your research and are interested in them as a company. Sending out 100 generic resumes is the equivalent of saying "Hey" or "What's up" on a dating site. Perhaps you will find someone on the other side that is interested based upon that but most recipients will filter you out.

TRC

Post by TRC » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:43 pm

I'd suggest taking a different approach. Find an "in" to the company you want to work for. LinkIn with that person, then introduce yourself and see if they can refer you into the process. Or target the hiring manager and contact that person directly. Or work with a recruiter. A "spray & pray" approach of submitting your Resume 100 times isn't effective.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:45 pm

According to DOL, the job market for mechanical engineers is increasing at the same rate as most occupations...5% annually.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:45 pm

btks wrote:
kxpatel wrote:In this market, you may want to make sure that your resume is super sharp - and hopefully tailored to each job where possible.

Just my 2 cents.
Can you clarify what you consider a sharp resume? What will draw your attention?
A few things come to mind as this is more of an art also.

1. Format should be easy to read. You don't want reader's eyes wandering around too much. 4 sentence summary, bullet point summary and then chronological experience.
2. Tailor - tailor - tailor. If there is a job you really want, do the research on the company and job and tailor the resume to that job. Make sure it is evident in first half page of the resume.
3. Use better fonts, templates etc. that are prevalent in your industry. I have seen resumes looking like they are typed in notepad. I spent less than 2 seconds looking at it.
4. You don't want resume more than two pages. But has to be more than one page with your level of experience.
5. Apply the rule of three. Make sure you are highlighting only three most important thing in each topic/category. I have seen 10 page resumes - that talks about everything that a person has done.
6. If your degree and certification builds a specific baseline requirement, then you don;t need to spell it out in the resume. The reader should be smart enough to know that (otherwise you don't want to work there). Instead focus on your unique achievements, challenges you faced and solved, why are you different from others?

These are some initial thoughts. I am sure there is a lot more that others can suggest (or correct me) and perhaps of more valuable.

Good luck !!

batpot

Post by batpot » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Just my 2 cents.
Makes a world of difference. The fact that you've applied to 100 jobs in 2 weeks while working full time can only mean that you're doing it wrong, and not taking enough time tailoring your resume to the specific desires of each job description.

trad3fgh

Post by trad3fgh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Try applying to government jobs, they usually forced to give you a ranking if your qualified.

mevans154

Post by mevans154 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:11 pm

Have you posted your resume online? I suggest using Monster and CareerBuilder.

I am an Electrical Engineer (BSEE, MSEE, P.E.) and I posted my resume 6 years ago on these websites. I still get 2 to 3 calls a week from headhunters that have seen my resume online.
"Be greedy when everyone is panicking, and panic when everyone else is greedy"... Couldn't agree more!!!

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:13 pm

These are just guesses on reasons why you could be getting little response. Of course I've never seen your resume and don't know you:
-Something about your application or resume is triggering something with the robo-HR system and not letting your application proceed internally even if the system "accepts" it from you. Entering too high of a salary, not completing all of the fields, etc.
-Your resume is unorganized, incomplete, involves some kind of stigma (you work/worked for a company that has a negative reputation in your area, etc.)
-Many of the jobs are filled internally. At my employer any job must be posted to the public for at least a couple weeks per policy, even if the internal candidate has pretty much been selected already for the job.
-At my employer, the procedure usually is, post the job, wait a month, see what has come in, interview 3-5 people, either hire one or wait another month, rinse and repeat. I feel we lose good candidates because HR sits around too long and well qualified people quickly find a job elsewhere.
-You are applying for management/supervisory positions but you don't have any such experience.
-You are applying to jobs in far away area and the employers don't want to deal with relocating someone either on their dime or yours.
-I don't think I've ever heard back on a job application in less than 2 weeks in my life except for one small business (less than 10 employees) where they needed to fill a very vital position quickly.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:13 pm

TRC wrote:I'd suggest taking a different approach. Find an "in" to the company you want to work for. LinkIn with that person, then introduce yourself and see if they can refer you into the process. Or target the hiring manager and contact that person directly. Or work with a recruiter. A "spray & pray" approach of submitting your Resume 100 times isn't effective.
I agree. As I mentioned if I were to go look for another job, there's only a dozen I'd be interested in. My method of choosing which ones to even apply to would involve cold calling ERs and talking directly to those there. That might not work for engineering jobs, I don't know, but there's got to be some variation of that that would work.

For example, the job I currently have they were about to hire somebody else for that they had already interviewed. I was talking to them on the phone. I told them if they had already made their decision then I didn't want to waste my time or theirs. But if they weren't decided, I wanted to fly across the country at my own expense and convince them to take me over the other doc. They indicated the decision wasn't final, so I flew out and the rest is history. Very different approach from spamming applications.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:15 pm

I'd also say take a look at your professional and personal network to see if you know anyone working for the companies you are applying for. Many firms offer current employees a "recruitment" bonus if they bring in someone who gets hired for certain hard to fill positions. (Engineering is one of them where I work).

arizonaslim

Post by arizonaslim » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Me again.

I've already said that the economy sucks. Be that as it may, people are still finding jobs.

My suggestion: Have you taken a look at Richard Nelson Bolles' book, What Color is Your Parachute? It's the best-selling job-hunting and career-changing book of all time. It might be helpful.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:17 pm

My son graduated with a finance degree in 2009 and it took him 10 months to get an internship. When he was in the hunt I read that employers got so many applicant resumes they were resorting to scanners software to cull the wheat from the chaff. I suggested to my son that he include interests on his resume such as walking through HARVARD square and visiting STANFORD Ct. :idea:

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:26 pm

In my last job search, all of the interviews (and eventual job) were/was secured through networking. I think I got 1 or 2 call backs from applying online.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Have you considered using a recruiter that specializes in your field of interest? Recruiters frequently have access to jobs that are not on the web and you also have the ability to get feedback from them regarding your resume and company's interest in your experiences. The Judge Group is one recruiting group that handles engineering positions (no relationship with this company), and I am sure you can google others.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:36 pm

user5027 wrote:My son graduated with a finance degree in 2009 and it took him 10 months to get an internship. When he was in the hunt I read that employers got so many applicant resumes they were resorting to scanners software to cull the wheat from the chaff. ...:
Yes, what used to be a manual process has been mechanized, therefore there aren't even as many low-level HR jobs as once there were.
PJW

gbru316

Post by gbru316 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Something else to think about: your cost to the company.

The trend in engineering these days (at least in my area) seems to be hiring the cheapest possible candidates (ie recent grads). Experience does not seem to be as valued as cost to the company. Heck, my company has "recent grad" fairs in-house were they basically put these kids up on a pedestal to encourage them to work there. They buy them shirts, food, give face time with the big-wigs, etc. Meanwhile, the most recent layoff several years ago took a lot of experience out of the talent pool.

Personally, I think that approach is a little shortsighted because (as I'm sure you know), just earning an engineering degree hardly makes one a competent engineer. But that's a different discussion.

It's a crappy trend for most of us. A big part of the issue, though, is that hiring is often dictated by HR these days. The hiring managers often don't see the majority of applications. I agree with others who recommended networking. If you can get your resume straight to a hiring manager in need, you'll probably have better luck.

rayout

Post by rayout » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:44 pm

The best route is to go through a recruiter. They get paid to find a good fit. That is how I found my latest position as a civil engineer. PM me your contact info and I can get you connected with a few that have reached out to me.

Make sure your linkedin page is public and up to date.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:49 pm

What industry and geographic location are you targeting?

I am also an engineer (defense). I just got a reply today on a job I applied for ~18 months ago, 6 months after I accepted another job across the country. The internet job sites can definitely be a black hole. Automated and OCR systems will sometimes pop your resume back on top of the stack, other times it's just silence.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:50 pm

EmergDoc wrote:
betterfinances wrote:
Cover letters take time. Submitting your resume to a 100 jobs that you may or may not be qualified for takes no time at all.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:54 pm

I hire for my firm. Any resume that comes in without a cover letter addressing why the applicant is interested in working for, and is a good fit for, my firm gets immediately tossed in the trash. Perhaps engineers are more like widgets than lawyers are, but I doubt it.

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:59 pm

T
kxpatel wrote:
A few things come to mind as this is more of an art also.

1. Format should be easy to read. You don't want reader's eyes wandering around too much. 4 sentence summary, bullet point summary and then chronological experience.
2. Tailor - tailor - tailor. If there is a job you really want, do the research on the company and job and tailor the resume to that job. Make sure it is evident in first half page of the resume.
3. Use better fonts, templates etc. that are prevalent in your industry. I have seen resumes looking like they are typed in notepad. I spent less than 2 seconds looking at it.
4. You don't want resume more than two pages. But has to be more than one page with your level of experience.
5. Apply the rule of three. Make sure you are highlighting only three most important thing in each topic/category. I have seen 10 page resumes - that talks about everything that a person has done.
6. If your degree and certification builds a specific baseline requirement, then you don;t need to spell it out in the resume. The reader should be smart enough to know that (otherwise you don't want to work there). Instead focus on your unique achievements, challenges you faced and solved, why are you different from others?

These are some initial thoughts. I am sure there is a lot more that others can suggest (or correct me) and perhaps of more valuable.

Good luck !!
There is really soooooo much bad advice in this thread, but review the post above - good content.

In this day and age, companies aren't taking 3 months to making hiring decisions. When you're competing with the best of the best, expediting the recruiting process is one of the biggest advantages you can have... if candidates are interviewing with you, they are also interviewing elsewhere. I work on a corporate recruiting team in the bay area and when you're competing with FB, Google, Twitter, Uber, etc. there is not time to waste. 3 months for the hiring process is not realistic.

Next, cover letters are very rarely reviewed. As a matter of fact, our ATS (applicant tracking system) essentially all but discards the cover letter of the resume. I wouldn't put too much weight on a cover letter, but where they are absolutely necessary it will be called out.

One of the best things that kxpatel highlighted in his post above is a unique resume. I presented to a group transitioning to the workforce last week and this was one of my biggest talking points. Have unique resumes specifically tailored to the role you are applying to. I have experience in analytics, hr, recruiting, operations etc. but in each of those roles throughout my experience I have a resume specifically tailored to highlight the key takeaways of each role showing how I could benefit in the role I'm applying for. If I'm applying for an analytics role, I can tailor my resume to match exactly what they're looking for from the experience I've had. If I'm applying for an HR role, I can use my same experience, but call out different bullets within that experience to show how I'd be a good fit on the HR side. Same as if I'm applying for a sales role, and so forth.

I agree with whoever posted it above... it literally takes less than a minute of looking at a resume to see if someone could be a good fit for a role you're looking to fill. Make certain to highlight and hit on all of the proper "buzzwords" of the role you're applying for so that with a quick scan of the resume a recruiter can see that you have applicable experience.

Next, there is some good content in here about networking - that's the most important thing you can do. Join groups on LI, visit meetups in the area on the topic of what you're looking for, reach out to corporate recruiters (better than an agency if you have a specific role in mind) as well as agency recruiters, and so forth.

Lastly, get creative. I think so many people send over a ho-hum resume and expect that their job is done. Do a little project. If you're applying for a sales role, write down a list of the people you'd target right off of the bat and why and share that via message in LI to the hiring manager of a role. If you're applying for a content role, review marketing material from the company and highlight how you would have done things differently or ways to improve or other things to think about.

These types of things can go a long way to show you're seriously interested in a role and separate you from the other 100 people that are applying each and every day the role remains open...
Last edited by NoGambleNoFuture on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:59 pm

Just from being in a similar position about 10-months ago, it really seems like networking is the key. I landed my current position last May after casually sending out dozens of resumes because I was half-heartedly looking to get away from a company that was a sinking ship. Didn't even get a single interview over the course of about 5-months (hardly even emails saying they had received my application), had applied for easily 30 jobs (many of which I was overqualified for, but were in companies which had upward mobility). I had randomly met the chief medical officer (my now boss) when I attended an industry event with an ex-GF, like 5yrs ago. When going through resumes, for some reason my name rung a bell and he had his assistant call me. There were over 1100 applicants for my job, I believe four of us got 3rd interviews and all of us had some sort of previous connection to my now boss.

This also seems to be key for my wife, who is in tech sales. Applying online is great, but your chances of being seriously considered drastically increase through networking. If you are really interested in a particular company or job, find a way to meet people there.

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:03 pm

Rupert wrote:I hire for my firm. Any resume that comes in without a cover letter addressing why the applicant is interested in working for, and is a good fit for, my firm gets immediately tossed in the trash. Perhaps engineers are more like widgets than lawyers are, but I doubt it.
In tech cover letters are almost never reviewed. We're out competing with all of the other major players for talent and people that we want to hire aren't even applying... we go after the people we want, not sit back back and await resumes. So when the people you want aren't applying, cover letters are almost never necessary. Could definitely be in different verticals like law.

joebh

Post by joebh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:21 pm

If you found 100 open positions, that says something about the job market. I can remember times when it wouldn't be possible to find that many open positions.

As to why you individually haven't received any followup yet, there are many possible explanations. The most obvious is that you aren't being patient enough. Two weeks is an incredibly short period of time in a job search. It's also possible that you are setting your sights too high and applying for jobs where you aren't a good fit. Or, it might be that better candidates have applied for the same positions.

There's no way for anyone other than you to know.

joebh

Post by joebh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:22 pm

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:In tech cover letters are almost never reviewed.
That's not true of the "tech" where I have worked. Cover letters were always reviewed.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:34 pm

You may want to use a headhunter if that is common in your field.

am

Post by am » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:35 pm

With the unemployment rate around 5% you would think demand would be high. I am an MD and the job market in radiology is poor particularly around metro and desirable areas with low demand and plethora of undesirable situations such as employee night jobs. There are other medical specialties with weak demand particularly around metros. I have also noticed weak demand from many other fields that let you enter the middle/upper middle class like law, business and now engineering. Is this a new phenomenon? Seems like many paths to the middle/upper middle class are becoming more uncertain and without guarantees like in the past. Not to mention that it seems to me like many educated workers in the middle class are being squeezed to the max, this is particularly true in medicine. Are we seeing a decline in the middle class?

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:36 pm

joebh wrote:
NoGambleNoFuture wrote:In tech cover letters are almost never reviewed.
That's not true of the "tech" where I have worked. Cover letters were always reviewed.
By? And recently? I think there are a lot of "archaic" practices that you'll find being weened out of the standard candidate/HM experience over the next few years like cover letters, asking a candidate for references and then following up w/ those references, etc.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:34 pm

betterfinances wrote:What is wrong with the job market right now? I am (not too seriously) looking for a different job. I work in the mechanical engineering industry, and have a bs and Ms in mech eng.
I would think that there are lots of mechanical engineers from the oil and gas industry that are looking for jobs now even if they have not been laid off yet.

I recently retired and over my career I had six jobs. Three of them I got through networking and in some ways they were my better jobs. With all the "robo HR" now networking is likely even more important.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:20 pm

2 weeks is a very short time especially if you are going in cold through online means. At my company that wouldn't be enough time for a resume to flow from HR to hiring managers, much less having the hiring managers get back to HR to follow up. It could easily take a month or two to hear anything.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:23 pm

rayson wrote:Companies usually receive a ton of online applications, so there is usually up to 3 months of processing time unless there is a pressing need to close a position. My recommendation to you is to slow down and be very selective in choosing which positions you want to apply to. Often times simple changes like rearranging bullet points to highlight relevant experiences specific to the job description will increase your response rate.
This.

Even you don't use cover letters, you should customize your resume for each job...

They are only going to see the first 2-3 bullet points before it gets tossed in the waste-can so make sure those first ones are relevant.

I've never used much of a cover letter either... just a simple email stating that I think I'd be a great fit for the job because of "one thing", here's my resume (with that "one thing" being the top bullet point again).

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:48 pm

I was laid off in 1993 and the company paid for us to go to an out-placement company. I also met with some others. We were told that 75% of jobs were obtained by networking. Some of the methods of networking may have changed with greater use of the sites such as linked-in but I still think many of the same principles apply.
Last edited by Lynette on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.