Most anticipated retirement purchase

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Lynette

Re: Most anticipated retirement purchase

Post by Lynette » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Lynette wrote:Study how to do Tax Loss Harvesting and purchase ETF's as the rest of Bogleheads. Then I'll put in a trade and watch it for a while.
Lynette - hmm, looks like you've been reading too much livesoft :wink:
Yes, maybe :D :D

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:31 pm

Watty wrote:It is sort of funny that we are explaining the importance of "time" so someone with the user ID of TheTimeLord. :D
I get your perspective but what I never quite get is having to wait for a lot of these things. I started taking 2 week vacations in my early 30s. Each year we would pick spots from Antartica to Palau to New Zealand, for me retirement will not change this much. I already participate in recreational activities with friends on the weekends. I have taking golf buddies trip or dive trips on live aboard dive boats for years but to take more I need people who can go. In my unique case, retirement is not required for these things. My weeks fly by because work is often a near dead sprint from morning until I leave, which I see as a good thing. But on weekends I make it a point to try to meet friends for coffee or lunch. When I took 10 months off I just had more alone time since my spouse and friends still worked, for me there wasn't any real gain. Maybe it is my age but no one I know wants to retire. We talk about it and they seem as lost as me on the topic. The one guy really planning it already travels more than anyone else I know. Add to that my spouse says she wants to work another 5 years. I think if I had children or grandchildren it would be different but right now the additional time would be nice about 10%-15% of the time. So just understand saying "time" to me is just something I probably won't get because at the moment because it would only be a marginal improvement to my life. Someday as my DW and friends start to leave the workforce it will probably be quite different but at the moment the attraction of additional time is from my previous experience quite limited. Hope that helps describe where I am coming from.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:45 pm

We also enjoy doing things on the weekends and vacations. We would much prefer THAT to be our full-time "job" and highly anticipate being able to do so in retirement. We won't have to compromise on a few days here or there to climb or dive, versus going to somewhere else. We'll be able to do it ALL - see it all, visit all the places we want. That is the time we want. Unfortunately that takes money, which is why we're working. It helps if your spouse has the same goals as you. Friends can visit us on the weekends, if they're not retired at that time.

So, as for an actual purchase - it could be anything from a Sprinter Van to a sailboat. We'd love to have both as our housing options. We'll have to see how it all works out in 15-20 years, though...

2b2

Post by 2b2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:49 pm

About a year into retirement, I bought a 5 year old Carrera 4S.
I can get that thing going so fast that I actually go back in time.
So I get that, too! :shock:

Independent

Post by Independent » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Yes, Time was the most desired and also most expensive "purchase" (most expensive in terms of lost wages). I don't regret retiring "early" and giving up lots of income.

Travel, as a category, was the most expensive plan by far. First priority: I wanted to spend a couple months by myself, roaming national parks, without that voice saying that "you've got to be back to work next Monday". I already had the vehicle, I just needed my wife to say she didn't need me around for a while.

My list also included Hawaii, a Caribbean cruise, Alaskan and European cruises, exploring US cities like Seattle, San Diego, Savannah, ... . Enough winter trips to Florida or Texas to settle on a good snowbirder's location.
Most of that didn't happen because life happened instead.

Other stuff was trivially cheap - a few woodworking tools, better TV and computer, a little bit of college tuition, and a neat toy that I could enjoy with the grandsons (under $1,000).

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:08 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Watty wrote:It is sort of funny that we are explaining the importance of "time" so someone with the user ID of TheTimeLord. :D
I get your perspective but what I never quite get is having to wait for a lot of these things. I started taking 2 week vacations in my early 30s. Each year we would pick spots from Antartica to Palau to New Zealand, for me retirement will not change this much. I already participate in recreational activities with friends on the weekends. I have taking golf buddies trip or dive trips on live aboard dive boats for years but to take more I need people who can go. In my unique case, retirement is not required for these things. My weeks fly by because work is often a near dead sprint from morning until I leave, which I see as a good thing. But on weekends I make it a point to try to meet friends for coffee or lunch. When I took 10 months off I just had more alone time since my spouse and friends still worked, for me there wasn't any real gain. Maybe it is my age but no one I know wants to retire. We talk about it and they seem as lost as me on the topic. The one guy really planning it already travels more than anyone else I know. Add to that my spouse says she wants to work another 5 years. I think if I had children or grandchildren it would be different but right now the additional time would be nice about 10%-15% of the time. So just understand saying "time" to me is just something I probably won't get because at the moment because it would only be a marginal improvement to my life. Someday as my DW and friends start to leave the workforce it will probably be quite different but at the moment the attraction of additional time is from my previous experience quite limited. Hope that helps describe where I am coming from.
TimeLord, having participate in many of your prior discussions on this topic I understand you approach the idea of retirement with some trepidation. However, what you may be missing is that having more time gives you the opportunity to reinvent yourself a bit. What have you always wanted to do but not had the time to explore? You may try something and not like it but you've still learned something about yourself and can move on to other new experiences.

I retired just over a year ago and spent several months before that trying to decide how I could/would change my lifestyle for the better. Many have already said things like more exercise, more healthy eating, more volunteering and I've done that. I've also taken some classes and learned some new things in areas that have always intrigued me. One can always say "I could have done this while working" but there was just too much stress and too little discretionary time to do what I really wanted. After a year I can tell you that I'm never bored and now understand the frequently heard comment "I don't know how I ever found time to work!" In my experience the people that struggle with this the most are the ones have difficulty breaking the tie between self image and their career but it's really not that hard if you try. :beer

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:13 pm

A trip to Europe. I'd like to see Paris, Rome, Athens, Berlin, and London before I die.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Well, I've already bought my retirement summer place. I'll be downsizing and moving to a smaller main residence, but that's a chore, not something I truly look forward to. I am going to buy either a fishing kayak or a solo canoe.

I'm in general agreement with the folks who feel the main thing about retirement is gaining more freedom as pertains to how my time is used.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:39 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:A trip to Europe. I'd like to see Paris, Rome, Athens, Berlin, and London before I die.
I managed to do that while I was working. I think I've been to Paris three times, Rome twice, London many times. I've also taken four semesters of French, two of Spanish and German as well as Italian at a Community College. I've been hiking to many of the National Parks, etc. etc. I've been to Russia, China, Thailand (twice), Cambodia etc etc. as well as countries in Central and South America. Fortunately I had people at work who could back me up so I could take two week vacations at a time.

I'll never be bored as I have so many hobbies. I will need to be careful that I interact with people as most of my interests can be done at home. I did not hate my job but found it boring. This is why I cannot fathom people who won't spend money that they have while they are working. If travel is your hobby, it takes good health - and legs if you really want to explore other countries.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:39 pm

BigJohn wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
TimeLord, having participate in many of your prior discussions on this topic I understand you approach the idea of retirement with some trepidation. However, what you may be missing is that having more time gives you the opportunity to reinvent yourself a bit. What have you always wanted to do but not had the time to explore? You may try something and not like it but you've still learned something about yourself and can move on to other new experiences.

I retired just over a year ago and spent several months before that trying to decide how I could/would change my lifestyle for the better. Many have already said things like more exercise, more healthy eating, more volunteering and I've done that. I've also taken some classes and learned some new things in areas that have always intrigued me. One can always say "I could have done this while working" but there was just too much stress and too little discretionary time to do what I really wanted. After a year I can tell you that I'm never bored and now understand the frequently heard comment "I don't know how I ever found time to work!" In my experience the people that struggle with this the most are the ones have difficulty breaking the tie between self image and their career but it's really not that hard if you try. :beer
Good post... Me, I'd like to learn Spanish, and play around with programming for mobile apps, like the iPhone, and Android.

I do not have time for that now with my 40-hour week job...

A good portion of my current job (IT) is learning new stuff, so I enjoy most of my job...

But how awesome would it be to keep the fun stuff, and get rid of the meetings, and troubleshooting problems caused by other people, and having to get up early, and meeting arbitrary deadlines set by people who don't understand technology?

My 40 hour a week job consists of 15 hours of "awesome", and 15 hours of "meh", and 10 hours of "yuck".

When I retire, I intend to keep messing around with the 15 hours of "awesome", while tossing the rest of it.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:08 pm

BigJohn wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:

Definitely worth considering.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:What is the one thing you are most looking forward to purchasing once you retire? Trip, car, vacation home, camera, new golf clubs, annuity etc.
Re-reading your question - are you asking this more for ideas of what to do or more for financial planning for purchases in retirement? Or both :D

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Timelord, there is no absolutely no reason that you have to take an early retirement just because you can afford it and many Bogleheads have this as an all-encomposing objective. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working if it provides meaning in your life and it doesn't provide too much stress. Most of my colleagues retire at 65 or later even if it isn't financially necessary.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:43 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:What is the one thing you are most looking forward to purchasing once you retire? Trip, car, vacation home, camera, new golf clubs, annuity etc.
Re-reading your question - are you asking this more for ideas of what to do or more for financial planning for purchases in retirement? Or both :D
I was curious what kind of special things people were looking forward to getting or doing once they had retired and exited the accumulation phase. Always good to get a variety of viewpoints.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:13 am

It's been a long time, but I still remember. It wasn't a purchase. It was not having to go to work and having the company control my life anymore. If you ask me what I appreciate today 19 years later it's the same answer.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:51 am

I'm looking forward to having the ability to take trips that are longer than two weeks. As far as purchasing anything, we're considering getting an RV. Or not. We keep going back and forth on that one.

rob

Post by rob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:59 am

Maybe not retirement exactly but; Moving back into the city from suburbia.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:17 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:
I was curious what kind of special things people were looking forward to getting or doing once they had retired and exited the accumulation phase. Always good to get a variety of viewpoints.
I heard part of a discussion on NPR today about American consumers having reached "peak stuff" and not being as much into accumulating stuff as they once were. I don't know how valid that is, but when many people reach retirement age, they are not as into buying stuff as they used to be -- well, at least not for themselves.

In the years before I retired I spent on getting my house fixed up so that it would be just the way I liked it (and well maintained) for at least another 10 years. I never thought about what I might want to "get" once I was retired. I can tell you, though, that being in control of your time and having enough savings gives you the flexibility to do a lot of things, whether it's travel, starting new hobbies, or undertaking new studies. Or nothing.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:23 am

fishboat wrote:
Mike Scott wrote:Nothing. I've got enough stuff. I look forward to TIME.
Yeah..that's about where I'm at. Getting rid of some stuff is more likely.

Having just arrived at retirement(1/1/16)..I'm finding that figuring out the playing field for the next 10-ish years (until RMD) is a full time job..at least initially. I probably should have done much of this already, but I put it off to when I had more time..which is now.

In the short term..this is the most anticipated..as it yields reliable, lets' go!, access to other anticipated adventures. Of course..it'll be a BH purchase..used..cash..(& for reference sake..my current two vehicles have a total of 43 years of use & 324,000 miles..and ready for more).

Ahhhh....my dream car. I already own one and wouldn't be surprised if I someday own two. It's especially nice right now with cheap gas.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

basspond

Post by basspond » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:18 am

A stable fund to get us through the first years of retirement.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:02 am

EmergDoc wrote:
Ahhhh....my dream car. I already own one and wouldn't be surprised if I someday own two. It's especially nice right now with cheap gas.
:happy

Yeah..I've been thinking about this for a while..thought I settled on a Suburban or Yukon XL...then I morphed into the possibility of a Nissan Pathfinder..some research sent me running from that. Then I looked for Pathfinder direct competitor's and landed on the 4runner..I think I'm 'there'. I'm searching nationally at this point for '06-'09's and have found a few possibles. Still doing some research (..I'm retired..I have the time). One in particular would have me flying to the west coast and driving back about 2K miles. Now there's an adventure in itself!

I've experienced the local flora & fauna around my home for decades. This purchase isn't so much a new bauble (I realize it may be a yawn for many as they've driven similar vehicles for years) as baubles don't really give me a thrill, what it is is a key to adventures for the next decade and beyond.

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:19 am

I retired a few months ago and have spent more time traveling, more time establishing my foundation, more time taking care those close to me. I have not bought anything except CDs.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Timelord, my most anticipated retirement purchase was the time and freedom to do as I please. So far, retirement has been the best years of my life. As BH poster Kramer has written, saving for retirement was buying my freedom.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:26 pm

A bass boat is coming my way this spring. I want the best electronic for finding the fish. I've been looking at boats online all morning. Man does the morning go by quickly.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

sesq

Post by sesq » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:56 pm

I am hoping to be a little nomadic when I retire. I want to go to Spain (or someplace spanish speaking) and rent a place for six months or so. I used to be fluent in spanish (8 years of training + a semester abroad) but have forgotten most of it. It comes back a bit on a trip, but then I go home. I like learning languages in general so I want to branch out from there. I am not sure I ready to be that couple who retired to travel, but I get where they are coming from.

I have always wanted to hike the AT or cycle across the country, but I am not sure I'd actually do that. It would be fun to be in France for a few stages of the tour. I'd love to do something quirky like build something to compete (really, just participate) in punkin chunkin (if it exists then, was cancelled last year due to liability).

I think once we exit the nomadic stage my wife has ambitions to be a presence in our kid's lives, especially when grandchildren come (assuming they do). We'd like to do this in a way where we can be close enough to help but not to smother.

The bucket list includes Antartica, so if we haven't gone there by then, sign us up.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 pm

obgyn65 wrote:I retired a few months ago and have spent more time traveling, more time establishing my foundation, more time taking care those close to me. I have not bought anything except CDs.
No airline tickets, perhaps a bump internationally from coach to business?

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:59 pm

rustymutt wrote:A bass boat is coming my way this spring. I want the best electronic for finding the fish. I've been looking at boats online all morning. Man does the morning go by quickly.
Lake Texoma?

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:11 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
rustymutt wrote:A bass boat is coming my way this spring. I want the best electronic for finding the fish. I've been looking at boats online all morning. Man does the morning go by quickly.
Lake Texoma?
Yes, I've fished Texoma, but like the bigger stripped bass that Beaver lake has. That's even closer to me. I owned a bass boat when I lived in Kansas City, and just had all kinds of fun on weekends with that boat and lakes around there.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:13 pm

It's priceless....freedom
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:17 pm

tennisplyr wrote:It's priceless....freedom
When a relative ask what I'm going to do in retirement, I just tell them whatever the heck I want. It's priceless is great way to describe it. I got my life back again. :happy

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 pm

No. I prefer to spend the money on vitamins for pregnant women or for kids. I just could not face kids in developing countries, look in their eyes and say "sorry, no vitamins this year, because I flew business class". I just could not do it.
TheTimeLord wrote:
obgyn65 wrote:I retired a few months ago and have spent more time traveling, more time establishing my foundation, more time taking care those close to me. I have not bought anything except CDs.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:10 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Mike Scott wrote:Time for what? Volunteer work and a small farm. And trust me, the farm is for pleasure not making $$.
I have a friend who is retiring this year from a delivery company in his 60s and now wants to work on a farm. Actually wants to buy one but his wife insist he tries it out first.
Green Acres is the place to be!

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:15 pm

obgyn65 wrote:No. I prefer to spend the money on vitamins for pregnant women or for kids. I just could not face kids in developing countries, look in their eyes and say "sorry, no vitamins this year, because I flew business class". I just could not do it.
TheTimeLord wrote:
Wow, you are personally paying for the meds? I guess I assumed the charity would pay for meds and you could pay for your own travel.

DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:09 pm

After the twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, the only appropriate gift is a dumpster. We are approaching our fiftieth anniversary, so maybe we could subscribe to the Dumpster A Month Club!
:sharebeer
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)

celia

Post by celia » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:19 am

. . . spending money on other people's funeral flowers or donating to their favorite cause . . . because I hope to be the last to go . . . :beer
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:41 am

rustymutt wrote:I want the best electronic for finding the fish.
Buy a Garmin... :)

sdsailing

Post by sdsailing » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:15 am

An 18th century farmhouse with farm land to restore.

warowits

Post by warowits » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:55 am

Ron wrote:From another post, on another forum:

"I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?" My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid.....before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime....whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!"

- Ron
Where'd you steal that Ron? Damn near poetry. I have to go...there's something in my eye.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:15 am

celia wrote:. . . spending money on other people's funeral flowers or donating to their favorite cause . . . because I hope to be the last to go . . . :beer
That can be a mixed blessing. All my 91 year old MIL's old friends passed before her, and she gets very lonely for them at times.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Miriam2 wrote: T I M E -
-- To spend the morning with a cup of coffee and the NY Times - instead of glancing at the headlines as I rush out the door, forgetting my coffee mug or worse yet, spilling it on my car seat

-- To decide that today I'll have a nice lunch with my son, then see his new office and meet his co-workers - rather than dealing with yet another emergency that came up at work, preventing me from EVEN calling him

-- To declutter one of the many areas of my home that has over the years become a nightmare of stuff causing me a sinking feeling of nausea every time I see it - instead of sitting at my cluttered desk at home at midnight preparing another project for work that could not be completed during the day

-- To decide whether I will go grocery shopping early in the day or later - rather than rushing into the store after a late day at work, just before they close at 11:00 PM

-- To spend the evening with my husband discussing upcoming family events - rather than quick irritating why-did-you-not-remember texts

-- To call my friends to see what they're doing and how they are feeling - rather than perpetually putting it off until tomorrow so I can finish my current work project

-- To work a little in the garden, play more bridge, shop the sales at Macy's, watch a movie with my family and friends - instead of the constant reminder that such time is not mine, I need to prepare something else for work

-- To cook a nice dinner for my family and sit around the table being together - not rushing home for take-out pizza, each slice gone into a different room

-- To cook a nice dinner for friends and enjoy the evening together remembering 40-plus years of friendship - rather than constantly apologizing that we'll do it next month when my work-load lightens

-- To take my dear daughter out for a little shopping date - rather than forgetting to text her how much I love her

-- To sit down after dinner and enjoy a book, perhaps poetry, novels I've always wanted to read but never had the T I M E

I could go on and on - but you get the picture! This is my most anticipated retirement "purchase." :happy
What a beautiful list. Thank you! I wanted to say "Amen" after I read it.

I would add "time to exercise regularly" so that I can do my best to stay healthy to do all those things.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:41 pm

My grandchildrens' college education.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Without a doubt, the Spirit Deluxe 17' Casita trailer we ordered to our specifications and will pick up this July when I retire. http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

Planning trips to Bend Oregon, parts of Colorado, lakes south of Bremerton Washington, The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc... Kayaks on top of the truck and fishing gear in the camper shell. All bills on auto-pay and every day like Saturday.

Edited to add retirement timing.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:21 pm

More avgas for my Mooney. Taking a day or weekend trip during the workweek.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:58 am

vested1 wrote:Without a doubt, the Spirit Deluxe 17' Casita trailer we ordered to our specifications and will pick up this July when I retire. http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

Planning trips to Bend Oregon, parts of Colorado, lakes south of Bremerton Washington, The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc... Kayaks on top of the truck and fishing gear in the camper shell. All bills on auto-pay and every day like Saturday.

Edited to add retirement timing.
:sharebeer

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:30 am

Miriam2 wrote:T I M E -

{...
11 items
...}

I could go on and on - but you get the picture! This is my most anticipated retirement "purchase." :happy
Geez, Miriam, I know I shouldn't be reading Bogleheads at work, but it's even worse when my eyes get watery. :happy
Nice list.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 am

More than one..... relocate to a friendlier city in Florida, I'm tired of Miami. Extended European travel at above standard accomodations and am looking forward to the next new car.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:46 am

surfstar wrote:We also enjoy doing things on the weekends and vacations. We would much prefer THAT to be our full-time "job" and highly anticipate being able to do so in retirement. We won't have to compromise on a few days here or there to climb or dive, versus going to somewhere else. We'll be able to do it ALL - see it all, visit all the places we want. That is the time we want. Unfortunately that takes money, which is why we're working. It helps if your spouse has the same goals as you. Friends can visit us on the weekends, if they're not retired at that time.
This is probably the best way to capture my feelings on the subject. I, too, have time on weekends and vacations to do the things I enjoy...but I want more of that. It's all about the freedom to do what I want, when I want to, and unshackling myself from the need to work on someone else's schedule.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:33 pm

sdsailing wrote:An 18th century farmhouse with farm land to restore.
I would love to convert an old mill into a house (but it won't happen).

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm retired but my wife isn't, so "we're" not retired, but nevertheless 2 retirement purchases I'm anticipating:

1. My father was born in 1908, in the month when the first Model T was manufactured. He was a pilot who loved reading maps, always had a compass in his cars, and unfortunately died years before my Tesla will be delivered. I have imaginary conversations with him (don't call the white jacket men; I know he's dead) about the autonomous driving, auto parking, navigation, regenerative braking, etc. He would have been as enthusiastic as I am about the car.

2. I don't know where the property will be, but I fantasize about buying some land with a view and building a nice "contemporary farmhouse" on it, with an area suitable for fospice dogs to spend their last months comfortably. Fospice is an amalgam of foster and hospice.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:15 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote: 2. I don't know where the property will be, but I fantasize about buying some land with a view and building a nice "contemporary farmhouse" on it, with an area suitable for fospice dogs to spend their last months comfortably. Fospice is an amalgam of foster and hospice.
Incredibly cool.