Most anticipated retirement purchase

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Most anticipated retirement purchase

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:01 am

What is the one thing you are most looking forward to purchasing once you retire? Trip, car, vacation home, camera, new golf clubs, annuity etc.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

BahamaMan

Re: Most anticipated retirement purchase

Post by BahamaMan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Leaving for the Winter.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:14 am

Nothing. I've got enough stuff. I look forward to TIME.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:16 am

Mike Scott wrote:Nothing. I've got enough stuff. I look forward to TIME.
Exactly this.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:24 am

whatusername? wrote:
Exactly this.
So no trips, no final home, no annuity for security, no mountain bike, no gym membership? Help me understand what you are going to do with your time that will have zero cost. I ask because most of the activities I look forward to have associated costs like travel or buddies golf trips or even a club membership.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:27 am

This has the potential to be a great thread.

For me:

- We'll probably spend a couple weeks in Fiji or Tahiti immediately after calling it quits to celebrate
- I'd like to take a deep sea fishing excursion and pretend I'm Ernest Hemingway for a couple more weeks
- A beach house
- LOTS and LOTS of travel
- All the best hiking equipment - would love to do the AT with my son if / when he's able

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:30 am

Rephrase "nothing" to "nothing that does not fit into the established, regular budget". No big ticket items. I can do most of what I want near home and I don't plan to move.

AlwaysAStudent

Post by AlwaysAStudent » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:35 am

I am many years away from retirement so this may all change but I look forward to moving to a climate with less extreme temperature changes, travel, and time for hobbies/projects/reading.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:39 am

Being retired three years now, my most anticipated and actual CATEGORY for additional expeditures was travel, which includes all costs related to foreign and domestic trips of say, a week or longer.
My single most anticipated purchase over the past three years has to be my new F-150 Lariat SuperCab pickup which I ordered 10/28/15 and took delivery on 12/8/15. It cost more than my house did when I bought that some decades ago...
Attempted new signature...

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:53 am

Yeah..that's about where I'm at. Getting rid of some stuff is more likely.

Having just arrived at retirement(1/1/16)..I'm finding that figuring out the playing field for the next 10-ish years (until RMD) is a full time job..at least initially. I probably should have done much of this already, but I put it off to when I had more time..which is now.

In the short term..this is the most anticipated..as it yields reliable, lets' go!, access to other anticipated adventures. Of course..it'll be a BH purchase..used..cash..(& for reference sake..my current two vehicles have a total of 43 years of use & 324,000 miles..and ready for more).

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:59 am

JimmyD wrote: - All the best hiking equipment - would love to do the AT with my son if / when he's able
I'm reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bryson right now. Twenty pages in, it's already much better than the movie (& the movie was OK).

A friend of mine is starting his NOBO AT thru-hike April 1 this year(he's retiring on March 31 @ 59).

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:01 pm

Before retiring, I looked forward to having time. Now fully retired for many years, I value having it more than ever.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:06 pm

whatusername? wrote:
Exactly this.
Yes, exactly - T I M E - to do all the wonderful things I did not have time to do because I owed so much time to my job.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Fallible wrote:Before retiring, I looked forward to having time. Now fully retired for many years, I value having it more than ever.
I am pretty literal person so when I keep seeing people say having time I keep thinking time for what? Try to explain to my dense mind what it is you are doing with this time that you appreciate so much? I look forward to your response.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:11 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:What is the one thing you are most looking forward to purchasing once you retire? Trip, car, vacation home, camera, new golf clubs, annuity etc.
Already retired but I still want a house in California. 8-)

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:16 pm

++++

For the win!

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:23 pm

TheTimeLord wrote: I am pretty literal person so when I keep seeing people say having time I keep thinking time for what? Try to explain to my dense mind what it is you are doing with this time that you appreciate so much? I look forward to your response.
Timelord, I can only speak for myself but the more precise answer would be "time for which I alone am responsible for allocating how it will be spent which means time that will be spent doing things I enjoy rather than things I must do by fiat of others."

So as a literal example: I anticipate that when I retire, if I wake up on a dismal rainy Friday morning, such as happened today, I will have the privilege of deciding how to spend my time: I can go back to bed and sleep as late as my body wants, or get up and putter around the house, or go to a movie, or go shopping instead of knowing that I will instead get out of bed, get dressed, organize myself to stay as dry as possible while I take myself to work where I will spend the hours between 9 am and 5 pm doing the function for which my company pays me.

Multiply that by every single day and THAT is my most anticipated retirement purchase: the gift of time that is filled as I choose, not as I am assigned.

Hope that clarifies the answer a bit :D

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:25 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Fallible wrote:Before retiring, I looked forward to having time. Now fully retired for many years, I value having it more than ever.
I am pretty literal person so when I keep seeing people say having time I keep thinking time for what? Try to explain to my dense mind what it is you are doing with this time that you appreciate so much? I look forward to your response.
Time...in my case, utilization of it varies considerably.

Travel, well in excess of normal vacation allowances, is now possible: two weeks in Ireland in September, 10-day dive trip to Cozumel & Playa spanning Thanksgiving, two week California trip from Christmas into the New Year. Now finalizing plans for two week Texas trip in March and pondering how elaborate an excursion to do spanning an Illinois wedding in May. Some folks do a snowbird getaway for the winter but thus far that doesn't work for me.

But still the time to do the travel I've outlined is a mere fraction of that available. So various hobbies and obsessions help fill in between those getaways.

And, I was recently asked to help out as a part-time per-diem employee at my former engineering employer, max 20 hrs per week, so I said yes. I have reasonable flexibility in choosing my days and hours, so it's like fresh air compared to the full-time burden of the past. I'm thinking I might go in again on Tuesday next week, for instance...
Attempted new signature...

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Time for what? Volunteer work and a small farm. And trust me, the farm is for pleasure not making $$.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:32 pm

pennywise wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote: I am pretty literal person so when I keep seeing people say having time I keep thinking time for what? Try to explain to my dense mind what it is you are doing with this time that you appreciate so much? I look forward to your response.
Timelord, I can only speak for myself but the more precise answer would be "time for which I alone am responsible for allocating how it will be spent which means time that will be spent doing things I enjoy rather than things I must do by fiat of others."

So as a literal example: I anticipate that when I retire, if I wake up on a dismal rainy Friday morning, such as happened today, I will have the privilege of deciding how to spend my time: I can go back to bed and sleep as late as my body wants, or get up and putter around the house, or go to a movie, or go shopping instead of knowing that I will instead get out of bed, get dressed, organize myself to stay as dry as possible while I take myself to work where I will spend the hours between 9 am and 5 pm doing the function for which my company pays me.

Multiply that by every single day and THAT is my most anticipated retirement purchase: the gift of time that is filled as I choose, not as I am assigned.

Hope that clarifies the answer a bit :D
It does. And I understand from my 10 month break I took from work a few years ago but for me that wore off in a couple months so I probably just not wired to understand that aspect real well. It is like every Saturday I tell myself I will get up early and just go sit in Starbucks and drink my latte but I always end up in drive through. For me the dream never seems to match the reality.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 pm

Mike Scott wrote:Time for what? Volunteer work and a small farm. And trust me, the farm is for pleasure not making $$.
I have a friend who is retiring this year from a delivery company in his 60s and now wants to work on a farm. Actually wants to buy one but his wife insist he tries it out first.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:36 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Time to do stuff that they really like or love to do. Some people love their work (Warren Buffet comes to mind) but I think lots of people would rather do something else if they had the means to support themselves.

My wife and I like to hike, backpack, camp, snowshoe with our dog. We love to visit beautiful places. At these beautiful places, we're learning about photography. Since 2014, we've been national parks, Forest service, BLM, state parks all over the US. Canada also. About 30 national parks. We did a road trip this summer through BC to the Yukon. It takes time to visit these places and I like to go when kids are still at school - less crowded. This winter, we're learning about backcountry snowshoeing and just completed a level 1 avalanche safety class. We're going into Mount Baker, WA and other areas in BC.

I find ourselves getting rid of stuff more than acquiring stuff. However, we are acquiring gear that we need on our adventures. We learn with each trip, what's useful and what is not. Is it worth the weight or space?
Wiki

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:40 pm

We are 30yrs from this and very minimalist, but I have one idea. I love cars, but I walk to work, cycle almost everywhere else, and my wife drives our 7yr old subcompact to work and taking the kids to and from daycare - we drive very little (probably under 50 miles a week as a family). Thinking we'll splurge for something really nice that we can drive around the (future) grandkids in.
Last edited by stoptothink on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:41 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
T I M E -
-- To spend the morning with a cup of coffee and the NY Times - instead of glancing at the headlines as I rush out the door, forgetting my coffee mug or worse yet, spilling it on my car seat

-- To decide that today I'll have a nice lunch with my son, then see his new office and meet his co-workers - rather than dealing with yet another emergency that came up at work, preventing me from EVEN calling him

-- To declutter one of the many areas of my home that has over the years become a nightmare of stuff causing me a sinking feeling of nausea every time I see it - instead of sitting at my cluttered desk at home at midnight preparing another project for work that could not be completed during the day

-- To decide whether I will go grocery shopping early in the day or later - rather than rushing into the store after a late day at work, just before they close at 11:00 PM

-- To spend the evening with my husband discussing upcoming family events - rather than quick irritating why-did-you-not-remember texts

-- To call my friends to see what they're doing and how they are feeling - rather than perpetually putting it off until tomorrow so I can finish my current work project

-- To work a little in the garden, play more bridge, shop the sales at Macy's, watch a movie with my family and friends - instead of the constant reminder that such time is not mine, I need to prepare something else for work

-- To cook a nice dinner for my family and sit around the table being together - not rushing home for take-out pizza, each slice gone into a different room

-- To cook a nice dinner for friends and enjoy the evening together remembering 40-plus years of friendship - rather than constantly apologizing that we'll do it next month when my work-load lightens

-- To take my dear daughter out for a little shopping date - rather than forgetting to text her how much I love her

-- To sit down after dinner and enjoy a book, perhaps poetry, novels I've always wanted to read but never had the T I M E

I could go on and on - but you get the picture! This is my most anticipated retirement "purchase." :happy
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LifeOfRiley

Post by LifeOfRiley » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:46 pm

New experiences. Travelling worldwide and living relatively inexpensively while enjoying and soaking in new places and adventures. I'm about 6 years out, but have already downsized considerably in preparation.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:47 pm

fishboat wrote:
JimmyD wrote: - All the best hiking equipment - would love to do the AT with my son if / when he's able
I'm reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bryson right now. Twenty pages in, it's already much better than the movie (& the movie was OK).

A friend of mine is starting his NOBO AT thru-hike April 1 this year(he's retiring on March 31 @ 59).
Nice! That one's on my list!

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:51 pm

From another post, on another forum:

"I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?" My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid.....before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime....whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!"

For me, the answer is time, and the above pretty much captures that idea and what I've gone through in the last (almost) 9 years of retirement, thus far.

I didn't wait to "purchase" anything in retirement. I travel as I wish in retirement - no different than when I was still employed. I purchase "stuff" (new cars, home improvements, etc.) the same as I did before retirement.

The difference now is my time is mine to do with as I wish. I'm not beholden to an employer (or customers) to do what I want, when I want to do it.

FWIW,

- Ron

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:53 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
T I M E -
-- To spend the morning with a cup of coffee and the NY Times - instead of glancing at the headlines as I rush out the door, forgetting my coffee mug or worse yet, spilling it on my car seat
-- To decide that today I'll have a nice lunch with my son, then see his new office and meet his co-workers - rather than dealing with yet another emergency that came up at work, preventing me from EVEN calling him
-- To declutter one of the many areas of my home that has over the years become a nightmare of stuff causing me a sinking feeling of nausea every time I see it - instead of sitting at my cluttered desk at home at midnight preparing another project for work that could not be completed during the day
-- To decide whether I will go grocery shopping early in the day or later - rather than rushing into the store after a late day at work, just before they close at 11:00 PM
-- To spend the evening with my husband discussing upcoming family events - rather than quick irritating why-did-you-not-remember texts
-- To call my friends to see what they're doing and how they are feeling - rather than perpetually putting it off until tomorrow so I can finish my current work project
-- To work a little in the garden, play more bridge, shop the sales at Macy's, watch a movie with my family and friends - instead of the constant reminder that such time is not mine, I need to prepare something else for work
-- To cook a nice dinner for my family and sit around the table being together - not rushing home for take-out pizza, each slice gone into a different room
-- To cook a nice dinner for friends and enjoy the evening together remembering 40-plus years of friendship - rather than constantly apologizing that we'll do it next month when my work-load lightens
-- To take my dear daughter out for a little shopping date - rather than forgetting to text her how much I love her
-- To sit down after dinner and enjoy a book, perhaps poetry, novels I've always wanted to read but never had the time - and certainly not my thousands of pages of work

I could go on and on - but you get the picture! This is my most anticipated retirement "purchase." :happy
Experiences I get, so this is very helpful, thanks.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:59 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
whatusername? wrote:
Exactly this.
So no trips, no final home, no annuity for security, no mountain bike, no gym membership? Help me understand what you are going to do with your time that will have zero cost. I ask because most of the activities I look forward to have associated costs like travel or buddies golf trips or even a club membership.
+1 on time.

I had a bad commute so I was getting up at 5:30 AM on work days to try to beat the traffic. On my last day of work I actually got up a few minutes early so that I could take a picture of my alarm clock at 5:30AM.

I tried to be careful about getting enough sleep when I was working but now I don't set my alarm clock unless I need to do something in the morning so the time for plenty of sleep is important too.

It isn't just about free time, but also not being on someone else's schedule.

Once my son was about about done with college those expenses and child raising expenses in general were done with our budget had a lot more in it for the other things when we were empty nesters but still working. I live a pretty middle class lifestyle but for at least the last five years or so of working I could have afforded some of the "extras" that you are thinking about but finding the time to do them was limited.

I have not joined a gym, but I now have the time to go for hour or two walks most days so I am getting in better shape.

It also turns out that we are eating a lot better since we have the time to shop and cook without being rushed. I don't know if it will last but for now cooking is actually enjoyable since there is not any rush to get it done after work.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:01 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
I mean TIME in general, as others mentioned. Specifically, time in retirement meant getting regular sleep, exercising more, eating wisely, losing weight, and eliminating - before medication was necessary - potentially serious health conditions. Time also led to rewarding volunteer work, more visits with far-flung family members and reuniting with high school and college friends, and to reading more and giving imagination free rein that led to a creative hobby that puts me in that wonderful state known as "flow," which ironically causes one to lose track of time. :happy
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:03 pm

fishboat wrote:

If you are not up to the hike then also consider driving the Blue Ridge Parkway that parallels the AT for about 500 miles. I drove about 300 miles of that this fall but I had to give it up because it was during the record rains that hit North Carolina.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:04 pm

pennywise wrote:I anticipate that when I retire, if I wake up on a dismal rainy Friday morning, such as happened today, I will have the privilege of deciding how to spend my time: I can go back to bed and sleep as late as my body wants, or get up and putter around the house, or go to a movie, or go shopping instead of.............
FWIW..you've got it right..that's pretty much how it is.

Every day I do things I never considered doing when I went to bed the night before..because I can. Time and experiences are "most anticipated purchases."

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:08 pm

I already have my lake condo and my boat/jetski

What I'm looking forward to is spending the entire summer there instead of a few 3-day weekends.

I guess I will spend more on travel when I retire, at first... Decided to wait to visit Australia and New Zealand until I can spend at least 3-4 weeks there.

Would love to spend a month in Italy someday too.

But again, those are all about having more time.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Watty wrote:
fishboat wrote:

If you are not up to the hike then also consider driving the Blue Ridge Parkway that parallels the AT for about 500 miles. I drove about 300 miles of that this fall but I had to give it up because it was during the record rains that hit North Carolina.
I've been on the Blue Ridge in May..rather stunning when the rhododendron and forsythia are in bloom. My friend asked about 3-4 months ago if I wanted to join him..unlike Byron's buddy Steve, I'd needed a little more prep-time than what I had. It's a 5 month stroll, 2167 miles. When I'm section hiking the Ice Age Trail & the Porkies this year..I'll be thinking of him.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:16 pm

Freedom / Time

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:17 pm

It is sort of funny that we are explaining the importance of "time" so someone with the user ID of TheTimeLord. :D

One other thing that has not been mentioned about "time" is that as you reach retirement age you are to likely see a lot more people you know that are about your age that either die or develop big health problems so your time left becomes more valuable to you.

In my early 50's I had one year where I went to three funerals of people were about my age.

About a year before I retired a guy at work unexpectedly dropped dead one weekend about two months before he turned 65. He was waiting until he could get Medicare to retire even though he could have afforded to retire years earlier.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm

My most anticipated post-retirement events were:
1. moving to a metropolitan area
2. walking el Camino de Santiago.

I moved a couple weeks before I retired, because it was easier to qualify for rent when I still had a paycheck. I have walked the Camino about 7-8 months after retiring. In 2016, I will do it again.

I expected that in retirement I would be spending a lot of money on travel and local leisure activities. Both expectations were overstated. My travel expenses are reduced by the use of miles for international flights, and many local events in DC are free.

I agree with those who wrote that retirement gives you time. But time is not only something you can use for pleasure but also to reduce hassle and expenses. I did not have time to play the credit card bonuses game while I was working; now I do. My travel used to be restricted to specific dates; now I can use flexible scheduling with greater availability if I use miles or lower prices if I pay cash. I used to do my grocery shopping at the same time when everyone else did; now I can do it when others are at work.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:39 pm

I travel a lot and buy whatever crap I want (which isn't that much), so there's no purchase that I have been putting off for retirement. What I really want is to spent time with far flung friends, but they will still be working and raising families for another 10 yrs after I retire, so I will have to wait for them.

joebh

Post by joebh » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:49 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:What is the one thing you are most looking forward to purchasing once you retire? Trip, car, vacation home, camera, new golf clubs, annuity etc.
I retired last year, my wife is still working. Anything we need for retirement has already been purchased.

We have a 2nd (beach) home that we currently use for weekends and vacations. We'll likely sell our 1st home and move into that once fully retired.
No plans to purchase any cars until one of the existing cars wears out.
We take a vacation every year or so, that won't change in retirement.
We have a decent camera, no need for a new one.
We don't golf.

Nope - the point of retirement won't imply the need for more purchases.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
T I M E -

-- To sit down after dinner and enjoy a book, perhaps poetry, novels I've always wanted to read but never had the T I M E

Miriam2,

I "get the picture," a delightful one, and thanks for taking the time to write it up for us.

Fallible

Levett

Post by Levett » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:06 pm

As I approached retirement, my one desire was for autonomy. And in retirement I've got it (and a ton of gratitude). 8-)

Lev

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:11 pm

Levett wrote:As I approached retirement, my one desire was for autonomy. And in retirement I've got it (and a ton of gratitude). 8-)

Lev
And, in case you don't know it (but you probably do), gratitude can mean a long, healthy life. http://time.com/4124288/thanksgiving-da ... gratitude/

Levett

Post by Levett » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi Fallible,

Thanks for the link--e.g., "gratitude can mean a long, healthy life."

Now, what I gotta do is make the money last as long as the gratitude! :wink:

Lev

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Levett wrote:Hi Fallible,

Thanks for the link--e.g., "gratitude can mean a long, healthy life."

Now, what I gotta do is make the money last as long as the gratitude! :wink:

Lev
Right on. :D

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm retiring in June at 72. Working longer allowed me to be able afford my passion of travelling the world. When I could no longer take long vacations and the job became stressful, I decided it was time to retire.
I have enough stuff - bought a new car and two computers recently.

This is a preliminary plan of some activities.
Get up at 5:30 a.m - as now and go to my Health Club - either do a Yoga, Pilates class or swim.

Go home and have breakfast.

Study how to do Tax Loss Harvesting and purchase ETF's as the rest of Bogleheads. Then I'll put in a trade and watch it for a while.

Then I'll go to a class on Spanish at my community center. I may also take classes in photography and web design.

Time for lunch and maybe visit a friend.

Maybe do some volunteering.

Do my homework.
Check if my ETF's have been purchased.

Time for dinner and study some more Spanish.

If I get bored with Spanish, I'll relearn my Latin, German and Italian. I'll learn some more toys - e.g. photography.
Take a month-long vacation in between semesters.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:47 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
whatusername? wrote:
Exactly this.
You asked about most anticipated. I take trips now, but I don't get to read the newspaper in the mornings over breakfast. I have a home, but I don't get to sit on the back deck each morning with a cup of coffee in the sunshine. Security isn't what I'm looking forward to acquiring (I'm pretty secure now without annuities), and the rec center in my neighborhood has a really nice gym (I'm told by those who are free during business hours to use it). I'm sure I'll spend on fun things in retirement, but that's not the main draw.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:51 pm

Lynette wrote:Study how to do Tax Loss Harvesting and purchase ETF's as the rest of Bogleheads.
Please also learn about Tax Gain Harvesting, in case the bear market does not last forever.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Lynette wrote:Study how to do Tax Loss Harvesting and purchase ETF's as the rest of Bogleheads. Then I'll put in a trade and watch it for a while.
Lynette - hmm, looks like you've been reading too much livesoft :wink:

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:15 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
whatusername? wrote:
Exactly this.
TheTimeLord -

That is why you are still working while you are still relatively young, to be more financially independent when you do retire, so you can enjoy these activities without constantly watching your wallet. But you will be enjoying these activities with your friends and family, or even in those glorious solitary moments by yourself - but the key is, as others have said - you will be doing these on your own time, not on the time clock.

Now I talk as if I know what you should do. HA - I'm not even retired yet, put it off precisely because I wanted to gain all possible benefits from my job before retiring so I would not need to watch my wallet. But it felt like a pact with the devil. As I recall, you also put off your retirement partially to ensure you were more financially independent.
Last edited by Miriam2 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Spend money on international trips. If the trips were free or cheap, I would have retired years ago.