If all space heaters = 1500w max, then buy the cheapest one?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Gambler

If all space heaters = 1500w max, then buy the cheapest one?

Post by Gambler »

all the space heaters i;ve seen says 1500w.

1500w /120v = 12.5amps
most home wiring = 15amps so that makes sense.

so if all space heaters use the same power, then just buy the cheapest one?
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist
just frank

Re: If all space heaters = 1500w max, then buy the cheapest one?

Post by just frank »

From a cost of operation and max power, yes.

Otherwise, look at safety features...like tip switches (if you have a cat), or guards to protect from heating elements (if you have small kids or visitors) or noise (unless you like noise).

A lot of folks like the oil-filled radiator-looking ones because they are big and silent, and get hot, but not so hot to be an instant burn.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Here's some decent guidelines: https://www.uco.edu/administration/safe ... elines.pdf

Don't burn your place down....
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Gambler wrote:all the space heaters i;ve seen says 1500w.

1500w /120v = 12.5amps

There's more to it than the wattage.

Some are noisy; some are quiet.

Some do a better job disbursing the heat, depending on fan, type of construction, etc.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

My understanding is that some use the 1500w more efficiently than others. I use the a blower/fan-like 1500w unit in our bathroom which quickly reaches high temp (and dries out the air), however in a dry basement room use a 1500w oil unit which heats more gradually and evenly since I'm down there for a longer period of time.
JimInIllinois

Post by JimInIllinois »

Yooper wrote:My understanding is that some use the 1500w more efficiently than others. I use the a blower/fan-like 1500w unit in our bathroom which quickly reaches high temp (and dries out the air), however in a dry basement room use a 1500w oil unit which heats more gradually and evenly since I'm down there for a longer period of time.
I've never understood this "drying out the air" business. Heating air reduces its relative humidity regardless of how the heat is applied. If you have the heater blowing directly on you then that would certainly dry out your skin, but if you are just circulating the room air I doubt you would notice. If you have a real infra-red radiant heater or fire that warms you directly without heating the air in the room, then maybe there is a difference, but the oil-filled units seem to mostly heat the ceiling.
whomever

Post by whomever »

I was recently searching for one of the radiant kinds. One brand looked good until I checked the Amazon comments - there were a few hundred ratings, of which 20% were one star, with many indicating failures of the fire hazard variety. FWIW, it wasn't even the cheapest.
I lost my enthusiasm for that model.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

1500w /120v = 12.5amps

Home wiring should be 15 amps for lighting circuits and 20 amps for wall sockets.
If I am stupid I will pay.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

2comma wrote:

1500w /120v = 12.5amps

Home wiring should be 15 amps for lighting circuits and 20 amps for wall sockets.
Last time I looked (recently) electrical code only requires 20 amp wiring/circuits for bathroom and kitchen sockets. I am not sure about utility/work shop but it should be 20 amp IMO also. 15 amp is permissible in the rest of a residential dwelling.
midareff

Post by midareff »

There are features that some have and others don't. I've had very satisfactory results with a Lasko column heater. Digital temp setting, can rotate or not and power on/off and settings by remote control. I think it was about $50 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
AviN

Post by AviN »

Space heaters with thermostats are helpful.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

If you have access to Consumer Reports online, there is a great deal of info available on space heaters.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

N1CKV wrote:
2comma wrote:

1500w /120v = 12.5amps

Last time I looked (recently) electrical code only requires 20 amp wiring/circuits for bathroom and kitchen sockets. I am not sure about utility/work shop but it should be 20 amp IMO also. 15 amp is permissible in the rest of a residential dwelling.
And to make life simple and make these units useable by all they limit them to something that will run on a 15 amp circuit. They sell to people who have wiring from all sorts of time periods. I can't say that I have done a scientific survey, but general use home products seem to never be higher than 1500W.

Makes the claims of 6.5 hp shop vacs and the like a tad suspicious. :)

(6.5 hp = 4849W)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
chupacaba

Post by chupacaba »

This overview and review was helpful to me: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-space-heaters/
Talks about the different types and their associated pros and cons: oil heaters (usually slow to heat up initially but little to no noise and a nice "steady" heat once they're rolling), fan-based (usually heat up quickly but some noise and heat seems to dissipate quickly), etc. A lot depends on what you think your usage pattern will be and what level of noise you're willing to accept. Some of the heaters have timers. The cheapest fan heater (Lasko 754200, ~$25) is dirt cheap but a little on the noisy side from what I understand. I ended up going with a Vornado as I wanted quick heat-up time, low noise and a fan to help move the heat around and I didn't really need it to stay warm once I shut it off (like the oil heaters).

As mentioned above, Consumer Reports has a recent overview which is ok but not nearly as in-depth as the link above.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Rodc wrote:
N1CKV wrote:
2comma wrote: Home wiring should be 15 amps for lighting circuits and 20 amps for wall sockets.
And to make life simple and make these units useable by all they limit them to something that will run on a 15 amp circuit.
It doesn't matter whether the circuit is 20A, the standard plug (NEMA 5-15) is only rated for 15A. You can plug two 10A* devices into one 20A circuit, but you shouldn't plug a 20A device into a 15A plug. And you sure as heck shouldn't design and market such a device. So a heater that uses 20A would have a 20A plug (NEMA 5-20) the one where one of the blades is at right angles to the other and does not fit into a standard outlet. Most people would not be able to use this, since 20A outlets are relatively rare.

* well probably two 9A devices, you need some margin.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Gambler wrote:
...so if all space heaters use the same power, then just buy the cheapest one?
Only if you want to gamble with your life.
:oops:

Buy the safest.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
telemark

Post by telemark »

They all generate the same amount of heat per watt-hour consumed. Where they differ is in how, and how well, the heat is distributed. The primary methods are convection or radiation, but some convection heaters move air better than others, and some radiant heaters work better than others. I generally like the Sweethome article mentioned above, but air temperature is not exactly the right thing to measure. An advantage of radiant heating, when it's done right, is that you can feel comfortable with a lower air temperature. (If you've ever been outdoors on a cold day and noticed the sun come out, it isn't the air temperature that's changed.)

My advice is to consider your use case. In the kitchen I use a Vornado, because I turn it on when I get up in the morning and I want heat fast. In the bedroom I use a 400-watt radiant panel, because I leave it on all night and it's quiet.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Swampy wrote:Gambler wrote:

Buy the safest.
I do not know much about space heaters and I do not need one.

Given modern UL testing, whatever Federal regulations on safety exist, liability concerns for manufacturers and sellers, just how unsafe is the least safe generally available space heaters? Do any of them realistically constitute a "gamble on your life"?

Hard to believe that I can stop by Home Depot and buy a 1500W heater built for in-home use that has that level of risk. But then maybe I am wrong.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
telemark

Post by telemark »

A U.L. listed heater may still be a hazard if it's abused enough, for example dropping a coat over one. This is something to consider if you have pets or small children. Some of the the more expensive models have cutoff switches that detect when they're blocked or knocked over.
Toons

Post by Toons »

This little Pelonis heater from Walmart outperforms my Lasko that cost 70.00
9.97 each in the store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelonis-Fan-F ... t/21804031
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Rodc wrote:

Buy the safest.

Given modern UL testing, whatever Federal regulations on safety exist, liability concerns for manufacturers and sellers, just how unsafe is the least safe generally available space heaters? Do any of them realistically constitute a "gamble on your life"?

Hard to believe that I can stop by Home Depot and buy a 1500W heater built for in-home use that has that level of risk. But then maybe I am wrong.
What purpose does it serve to be 'dead right?'
While only 32 percent of home heating fires involve space heaters, they are involved in 79 percent of home heating fire deaths.
From: http://www.nfpa.org/press-room/news-rel ... ting-fires

There are a number of safety features and measures the user can use to minimize risk.

Personally, I choose not to use the highest setting (1500 watt) at night - ever. The 600 or 900 watt setting is more than adequate in a closed room and I place it on an 18 inch porcelain tile square if the area is carpeted. You have to use the proper heater in the proper setting.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Swampy wrote:
Rodc wrote:

Buy the safest.

What purpose does it serve to be 'dead right?'
While only 32 percent of home heating fires involve space heaters, they are involved in 79 percent of home heating fire deaths.
From: http://www.nfpa.org/press-room/news-rel ... ting-fires

There are a number of safety features and measures the user can use to minimize risk.

Personally, I choose not to use the highest setting (1500 watt) at night - ever. The 600 or 900 watt setting is more than adequate in a closed room and I place it on an 18 inch porcelain tile square if the area is carpeted. You have to use the proper heater in the proper setting.

From your link:
In 2007, U.S. fire departments responded to 66,400 home structure fires that involved heating equipment. These fires killed 580 people, injured another 1,850, and were responsible for $608 million in direct property damage.
Pretty big number. More than I would have thought.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Gambler wrote:If all space heaters = 1500w max, then buy the cheapest one?
Can't speak for space heaters specifically but I'd never compare any product based on just one single spec. 1500W doesn't tell you everything.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

N1CKV wrote:
2comma wrote:

1500w /120v = 12.5amps

To further clarify this, all of your wall sockets with parallel slots are 15 AMP receptacles. You'll have 20 amp circuits in the kitchen (or bathroom) because you're likely to have multiple high current devices on one circuit. But your still only using a 15 amp receptacle and 15 amp plug and cord for each device.

A 20 Amp - 125V plug will have one blade perpendicular to the other and the 20 amp receptacle will have one slot that looks like a sideways "T" to accept either the 15 Amp or 20 Amp plug.
Topic Author
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

Buy the safest.
lol.. all space heaters that i've seen at walmart are UL listed.

the UL listing meas they are safe enough for the avg consumer
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist
georgewall42

Post by georgewall42 »

With regards to safety: Yes, newer space heaters available today at your local Orange or Blue Box store will be safe. Many fires start from older space heaters that do not meet anything close to modern safety standards. Avoid used space heaters at all costs.

Even newer ones can cause fires if used improperly. Because they're small, people tend to put them in strange places, and then put stuff on them, and then walk away.