Biggest lucky break in your personal finances?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
VictoriaF

Re: Biggest lucky break in your personal finances?

Post by VictoriaF »

By the way, lucky financial breaks are not only one's parents but also one's children. Mine received excellent education, has a great job, and provides for her family so well that I can dedicate my assets to my needs and interests.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
lynneny

Post by lynneny »

Two things, apart from great parents and going to college long ago enough that it was affordable:

1) I'm one of very few people I know in my field, which is notorious for frequent layoffs, who has never been laid off. At 59, that's given me a financial stability that friends and colleagues who have been laid off, sometimes multiple times and often with no option but to take lower-paid jobs, don't enjoy. I'm good at what I do, but so are a lot of talented people who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm in a much better position to retire in a few years than many of them are, and I'm very thankful.

2) I worked abroad for 20 years, in several different countries. That was a wonderful, priceless experience. It also ended up working out financially. I lived a nice expat lifestyle for many years. And when I returned to the U.S., to a HCOL city with crazy housing costs, I already had enough saved for a big down payment on a home and a good start on retirement savings. If I had always lived in my current expensive U.S. city, I would never have been able to save that much money, and would have been a renter forever.
dolphintraveler

Post by dolphintraveler »

(1) Born – good parents, healthy, encouraging handwork, decent genes

(2) Most of college paid for by parents so that 3/4 was paid, remainder loans and work study. Went to college when it was more affordable.

(3) Majoring in a tech field when tech was hot, and getting a signing bonus to help pay off the student loans within six months

(4) Left a Megacorp for a slightly lower paying dream job. Within 14 months the Megacorp stopped profit-sharing, had everyone take a pay cut, laid off the department I was in, and I got a raise in my new role surpassing what my old package had been.

(5) Leaving the job market during on a bull market and returning two years later, with no working income in the middle, with a higher net worth. Traveled the world (relatively frugally on money saved for the purpose) for two years and spent money and coming home to a higher net worth was surprising. Really showed the saving early made sense!

(6) Returning to dual incomes just before the market took a dump. Missed buying at the highs, and was buying it up during the lows. Couldn’t have timed it better had we known the future. Extreme luck.

(7) No major financial tragedies, healthy family
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Having frugal parents.
basspond

Post by basspond »

When we were buying our forever home, our down payment was lost in a couple of penny stocks but the proceeds from the sale of our first house more than made up for the loss.
SAB

Post by SAB »

Being financially literate. My financial behaviour isn't perfect, but it is still a long way ahead of the non-Bogleheads world.
SunDevil

Post by SunDevil »

Last edited by SunDevil on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Back in early 1980s, with mortgage rates 17-18% (really!), my employer transferred me to a higher cost housing market (Buffalo to NJ, just outside NYC). They gave me relocation mortgage differential for 3 years, paying the difference between 8% and 17.5% on what was then a large mortgage balance.

Break #1: About 4 months after the house purchase, interest rates plummeted and I refinanced to 9%, but my employer said it didn't matter and they would still pay me the original difference for each of the 3 years.

Break #2: About 14 months after I moved to NJ, and 11 months after the house purchase, the site where I worked was sold in a LBO. I was given the option to return to Buffalo, but instead I left with a severance package. I wasn't expecting to also receive the rest of the mortgage differential, but a month after I left they sent me a big check for years 2 & 3 differential.

Break #3: The market value of the house doubled in the 3 years I had it, in large extend due to the drop in mortgage rates.

If you factor in the above breaks, my profit on the house in the 3 years I owned it was 340% (based on my initial equity).
pencap75

Post by pencap75 »

I think Sundevil winning the lottery definitely has us all beat in terms of biggest lucky break.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

1) The harder I work, the luckier I get.
2) Understanding, really understanding the time value of money and capital markets at the start of my career. This happened when I took an elective course in Investing as part of my MBA. Had no money then but learned a lot that shaped my future financial path.
3) Lived below my means, in the cars we drive, the home we own and other spending.
4) Married a woman more frugal than me. Only married once and never divorced.
5) Continuously employed. Never fired or laid off. Never missed a paycheck in 40 years.
6) I have a natural interest and curiosity about financial subjects and investing.
7) Chose a profession that pays above average.

My parents paid for my education, but I paid for both of my kids, so that is really a wash.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

"Retiring" in April 2009 from mega-corp and investing the lump sum and 401k at the beginning of a raging bull market. Still working and investing, feeling extremely lucky to have found this forum, allowing me to transition from a combined 2.2% fee structure to a combined .1% fee structure at Vanguard.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Got a full time sales job after high school that...

1. Had tuition reimbursement which covered about 80% of my college
2. Made decent money for my age/experience/being in school with a flexible schedule
3. Live at home thru college and was able to save A LOT
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

SouthernCPA wrote:Luckiest break I've had was winning the parent lottery. They taught me the importance of saving/investing and living within your means. They also paid for my college education which has been a big help in not being dragged down by student loans.
Same.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
wxz76

Post by wxz76 »

1. Immigrated to the US
2. Studied CS in college
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

SunDevil wrote:Winning the lottery several years ago and becoming financially independent overnight. Even luckier that I already had a great education, equally frugal spouse, was financially literate thanks to bogleheads, and could keep it a secret from almost everyone. We have watched the money grow substantially with careful investing, but we would have been fine financially without winning. It is possible, though, to win the Lottery and not blow it all after several years!
Actually winning the lottery, you are lucky :beer
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

pencap75 wrote:I think Sundevil winning the lottery definitely has us all beat in terms of biggest lucky break.
+1
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

VictoriaF wrote:
sawhorse wrote:The mere fact that we can participate on this board means that we have access to technology, received an education, and do not suffer from mental retardation.
And speak English.

This has hit me when I was staying at a hostel in Prague. One of the cleaning women spoke Russian and we had several conversations. She had a background similar to mine including a Soviet five-year technical degree similar to mine. However, I had an American passport and spoke English, whereas she had a Russian passport and spoke only some Czech and some German. I was staying at a hostel by choice, she was working there out of necessity. Her visa to the Czech Republic had expired, and if she went back to Russia she would not be able to return to Prague. Without work permit, she had to accept whichever jobs were available, and based on her stories, the worst places for cleaning personnel are youth hostels in Prague where English teenagers come to get drunk on cheap Czech beer, which they cannot hold.

Her story has struck me not because it was particularly tragic, but because she was so similar to me but had so different luck.

Victoria
If my parents didn't immigrated to the US, my opportunities would have been limited in so many ways. Now our children are starting life on third base as others had mentioned.
MnD

Post by MnD »

1) Father who talked openly and often about personal finance, investing, good and bad choices he made and set every one of us kids on a mandatory course to financial independence by paying for college and making it absolutely clear that the Bank of Mom and Dad closes on graduation day. My favorite quote of his "I've never missed spending any money I saved or gave to charity".

2) Lack of any employment or health disasters - a few setbacks sure, but nothing huge.

3) Wife of 30 years who is hard-working, is fine delegating financial management to me and shares goals of financial security, independence, early retirement etc. We are going to work on getting her more engaged in the finances.

4) Buying our 30-year and possibly forever house in 1991. $43 a square foot and a .625 acre lot. Quadrupled since then.

5) Kids are not spoiled or greedy. Trying to buy something for them (other than perhaps a decent smartphone once every few years or ski passes) is like pulling teeth. Both were happy and grateful with the best in-state public colleges they could get accepted to and both received partial merit scholarships.

6) A natural somewhat Boglehead tendency since I started investing in the mid 1980's. Despite dabbling in just about every type of investing I never did the really stupid "all-in/leverage/timing/chase hot funds" type of things many of my peers did. My first mutual fund was Vanguard Prime MM and the most expensive mutual fund I ever owned (also in the 80's) was a no-load balanced fund with an ER around 1%. Even my individual stocks were solid blue-chip types with good growth prospects or really beat up value plays. I had exactly one individual stock disaster in 30 years and it was around 2% of my portfolio back when my portfolio was still pretty small. A good lesson but not a terribly costly one.

7) Starting buy and hold dollar-cost averaging investing 15 months before the 1987 crash. It was a valuable experience and yet not a costly one when my portfolio was so small. I recall fully "rebalancing" by directing my new money to the stock fund for 2 months or something like that. :mrgreen:
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

My biggest lucky break was landing an ex-pat job in my mid-late 20's which was tax free AND included free accommodation. I only stayed there for 3 years but during that time I really started saving and while I had a bad run-in with a financial advisor, at least that made me want to learn about finances so that I would be confident enough to do it on my own.
Sarah
dc81584

Post by dc81584 »

My parents paid for every cent of college and graduate school. Also, I received a $1,500 stipend in one of my paychecks this year. It wasn't a mistake, but I sure was pleasantly surprised, as I must have missed the memo.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Chancing on an article in a Schwab OnInvesting magazine 6 years ago which mentioned 457(b).
Had never heard of it before.
Proceeded to start contributing at 3 workplaces since and it has doubled my pretax investment amount.
(first two were govt, now in non-govt, but comfortable)
Whit

Post by Whit »

-Having wise parents and being taught since a youth.
-Marrying well.
rixer

Post by rixer »

I didn't have any lucky breaks that really made a difference. What little I have is from baby steps all the way. I worked hard, contributed to my ira regularly, paid off my debts and retired.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

While in college, I volunteered to man a table at a career fair for a professional society to which I belonged. It was early spring semester and as I wasn't graduating in May it was a purely altruistic decision on my part (or so I thought). I arrived quite early and ended up chatting with a recruiter who had driven in from out of town and was also early. Before anyone else arrived, I had an offer for a summer job in my field -- without me realizing that I was even being interviewed. :oops: My plan (prior to this serendipitous meeting) was to return to the local summer job (outside my field of study) I'd worked the previous two summers.

The company made all the arrangements including finding me a furnished apartment for the summer - I shared an apartment with another summer intern. At the end of the summer, I left with a job offer in hand for after graduation. I ended up working for this company for 20+ years, but it wouldn't have even been on my radar had I not ended up volunteering to help with the career fair.

The company offered great benefits including a DB pension AND a stock investment plan (that was a precursor of the 401k plan) with 1:1 matching up to 5% contribution. This really got me started on the road to FI. Had the company not decided to relocate my position out of state 11 years ago, I probably would have retired from there 2 years ago.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

VictoriaF wrote:Immigrating to the United States.

Victoria
Most people on this forum have won the lottery without realizing it! It is called the Ovarian Lottery.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Shackleton wrote:By far the biggest lucky break I had was when I was a week old -- I was adopted into a loving, well-off family that ultimately gave me the sort of life most people dream of.
The odds are (due to the location of my birth and the year) that I would have ended up in very different circumstances if I hadn't been adopted by my parents.
This reminds me of this article on twins in Colombia that were switched at birth. One grew up rural poor; rural poor in Colombia is far poorer than in the US. The other grew up urban middle class.

Even if you aren't that interested in the subject, the article is worth reading for the beautiful writing.

http://nyti.ms/1J5Rt1T
SunDevil wrote:Winning the lottery several years ago and becoming financially independent overnight.
:shock: OMG! If you don't mind revealing, how much did you win - hundreds of thousands, single digit millions, mega jackpot? Which game did you play? Did you choose the lump sum or annual payment?
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Our best break:

In the early 70s we made a down payment of $11,000 on a $110,000 condominium (Grove Isle) not yet built. We watched its construction, were the first to move in, and lived there for 5 years until selling it for $350,000 in the early 80s for $350,000.

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

wanderlust14 wrote:While both personal choices (career path, spending habits, spouse selection) and behavioral factors (delaying gratification, risk tolerance) all affect one's personal finances, I think most would agree there is a bit of luck involved along the way. What was your luckiest moment?
1) The best financial boost was inheriting a little piece of farm land from my grandparents (my father had died 40 years before). That's not "luckiest", rather unearned good fortune.

2) I was fortunate to have parents that valued education, effort and hard work ("the world doesn't owe you a job").

3) I was able to work in a field that I liked for over 40 years, mostly self-employed, never out of work for more than a couple of weeks.

4) Marrying an very nice wife (we were introduced by a coworker at my part-time job during my Junior year at college, we married one year after graduation).

5) I was fortunate to have been born in the U.S., and to have been raised in the Midwest.

I keep thinking of more things to be grateful for, but I think that I will stop now.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
corn18

Post by corn18 »

I won $2 once when the lotto was over $500M and I bought $20 worth of tickets. Other than that, I have been more stupid than lucky.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
bclark1223

Post by bclark1223 »

My wife for sure! Marrying someone with the same financial goals has been a huge blessing. I'm still a long way from most of you guys but we are moving at an incredible pace compared to just 3 years ago.
JWooden10

Post by JWooden10 »

I was naive in my job search coming out of college but happened to get a job at a small company with great people. Still there and though we're no longer small, I've always been able to consider my income more stable than many others.
maroon

Post by maroon »

I've had a few lucky breaks:

1) Having exactly zero relevant experience, I got a job which turned out to be a career. (I showed up at headquarters, met the president-equivalent, gave him my resume and asked for a specific job, he said the opening had been filled but was I interested in this other job? )

2) My one neighbor casually mentioned that my other neighbor's house was getting foreclosed upon. I checked the MLS listings and ended up buying the house from the bank a few months later. This was at the bottom of the real estate market.
SGM

Post by SGM »

I have lots of lucky breaks. This may not have been the biggest financially, but was not expected when I first contemplated leaving my employer. I received a pension and vesting in the company stock plan because I worked an additional 100 hours developing a course for the former employer the year after I resigned to start a professional degree program. That made it 5 years credited. This was a request my former employer had made when I announced I was leaving.

I also took the annuity a little early just before interest rates dropped. Had I waited a few years the annuity payments would not have been any higher because the lower interest payments counteracted the benefit of waiting to take it later.

Buying a house in a down market and seeing the value double within 5 years when the market got hot was another lucky break.
max12377

Post by max12377 »

My break was from a gal who would have had no qualms about being unfaithful had we gotten married. I was lucky to break from that before the inevitable event. I was lucky that she chose to reveal her tendencies before we got that far. Sadly, I've dodged more than a few bullets of that ilk in my lifetime. :oops:
Impromptu

Post by Impromptu »

Like others have hinted at, most of what is posted here was not luck, but rather hard work of you and your parents, taking risks on opportunities, and the good fortune to make wise investment choices.

I have been told that it is a lower and middle class mindset to think that your good fortune comes from luck, from something rescuing you, otherwise you will forever be stuck in your station in life. But those families that are or will become upper class make their own luck, though it may take generations.

The things I ascribe to luck are health, the lottery, and chance meetings, though even then, what you do with those opportunities is up to you.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
SunDevil

Post by SunDevil »

Edited for privacy
Last edited by SunDevil on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

Interesting question and it depends on how far you want to go with this. I once heard Warren Buffett say that most of what he accomplished was by pure luck. The interviewer asked how that could be and, in typical WB fashion, he had a very long term view and said something like this (and I follow all along with it):

1) I was born in the late 20th century. This means I did not need to fight for my food, I did not live in a cave, I did not have to live during two world wars, I was not around during the plague or the inquisition or anything like that. TIME was clearly on my side.

2) I was born in the US. Right out of the gate that gave me a huge advantage.

3) I was born male - while things are a lot better for women now, when I was born, they were not good. Chances are 50/50 I would have even gone to college had I been born female.

4) I was born white - again, things are a lot better now but still not good and, certainly, when I was born, had I been born a different color it is quite possible I would not have even been allowed in the schools I went to no matter how smart I was.

5) I was born to loving, caring, teaching parents who stayed together my entire life. They basically "forced" me to go to college and get a great education. They taught me everything about frugality and delayed gratification.

Really, all I did was execute the lessons I was given. When you look at it this way, probably 80%+ of my success was pure luck.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

WolfgangPauli:

Having been on this planet for 91 years, I recognize your post as containing many truths that we often overlook.

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Lucking into my career choice based on one course in college. I started at the Coast Guard Academy intending on a military career but discovered after a couple years I wasn't a good fit. Transferred to a religious affiliated liberal arts college to study for the ministry but discovered that wasn't my calling either. Upon becoming a senior I changed my major to mathematics because of all the math courses I had transferred from the Academy, and math was the only way I could accumulate enough major credits to graduate with my class. The last semester my senior thesis required work using a computer, and I enjoyed that so much I went into IT and stayed in it my whole career.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

Getting a 45k scholarship worth about 80% of the cost of college. This was about 25k higher than other scholarship's I was offered. Yes part of that was due to work (ie being a valedictorian in high school) but it still involved a great amount of luck

-I had two almost B's in high school (lowest grade was a 90.2%). If one of those was ended up as B there goes the scholarship
-I was initially on the waiting list and was lucky enough people ahead of me refused the scholarship
-Timing. A couple of years after I started college the scholarship was cut down from 50 students a year to 30 and it was refocused a bit to focus less on academics. If I was born a few years later I would have had zero shout at the scholarship.

That 25k head start (ie not having to pay student loans) basically let me start saving for retirement from day one of working.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

My mother in law did hair dressing in her home for a very elderly rich woman. When we were looking for a mortgage, then at 9.5%, she said she would give us a private one at 8%. It was a 15 year mortgage with a 25 year schedule so a balloon payment could be due any time after 15 years. When her 3rd husband passed away we sent flowers. She called and said she didn't want anymore payments. I convinced her to meet with lawyers at my house to make it official and was going to pick her up. She called the day before and wanted to postpone the meeting because she was flying to Las Vegas to get married that night!! I had visions of her new husband cancelling the generous gesture. But all went well.

So, I got a mortgage 1.5% below a very high market and it was paid off when I was about 45. So due to her, I was debt free and able to plow money into my 401k at a much higher rate. That was a big, lucky break.
celia

Post by celia »

Soon after college, I walked into an aerospace company looking for an entry level job (after seeing a flyer on a bulletin board). They looked at my degree and my gender and hired me as an engineer to help fill their affirmative action quota with the government. I started making about twice what I was expecting and never looked back. I had never even considered the field before that.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
TechieKid

Post by TechieKid »

pencap75 wrote:....med school....debt free...HUGE benefit.
Speak of the understatement of the century.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Dandy wrote:When her 3rd husband passed away we sent flowers. She called and said she didn't want anymore payments. I convinced her to meet with lawyers at my house to make it official and was going to pick her up. She called the day before and wanted to postpone the meeting because she was flying to Las Vegas to get married that night!! I had visions of her new husband cancelling the generous gesture. But all went well.

So, I got a mortgage 1.5% below a very high market and it was paid off when I was about 45. So due to her, I was debt free and able to plow money into my 401k at a much higher rate. That was a big, lucky break.
How generous! That's an awesome story.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Dandy wrote:My mother in law did hair dressing in her home for a very elderly rich woman. When we were looking for a mortgage, then at 9.5%, she said she would give us a private one at 8%. It was a 15 year mortgage with a 25 year schedule so a balloon payment could be due any time after 15 years. When her 3rd husband passed away we sent flowers. She called and said she didn't want anymore payments. I convinced her to meet with lawyers at my house to make it official and was going to pick her up. She called the day before and wanted to postpone the meeting because she was flying to Las Vegas to get married that night!! I had visions of her new husband cancelling the generous gesture. But all went well.
What number husband is she now on? Spontaneity is an attractive trait in women.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Rysto

Post by Rysto »

Going into my final year of university I was offered a job, starting once I had finished my degree. This was in 2007, so I graduated in 2008 with a job lined up. I know that an awful lot of people graduating at the same time had an awful time finding any job at all.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

What number husband is she now on? Spontaneity is an attractive trait in women
I was concerned that husband #4 was marrying her for her money because she wasn't in good shape - bent over a bit and had some hand tremors. While driving her back to her home she said she always knew she would get married again :happy -- when I dropped her off there was a Rolls Royce in the driveway - he was in Real Estate and obviously was doing well. I'm sure she passed on many years ago - she moved soon after her gift to us and took her married name - lost track of her. But thanks Ruth wherever you are. :beer
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Dandy wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:What number husband is she now on? Spontaneity is an attractive trait in women
I was concerned that husband #4 was marrying her for her money because she wasn't in good shape - bent over a bit and had some hand tremors. While driving her back to her home she said she always knew she would get married again :happy -- when I dropped her off there was a Rolls Royce in the driveway - he was in Real Estate and obviously was doing well. I'm sure she passed on many years ago - she moved soon after her gift to us and took her married name - lost track of her. But thanks Ruth wherever you are. :beer
Got it! Her hand tremors were the key to her success with men {giggling}

You've got a REALLY lucky financial break. Congratulations!

Victoria
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

Haha... well done there, Victoria! :D
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

We are all aware that 90% of the world would probably slap each and every one of us if they read this thread, right?

I bet pretty much anyone posting on Bogleheads would be considered luckier than most folks out there.