Is TIAA-CREF one of the "good guys"?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
livesoft

Re: Is TIAA-CREF one of the "good guys"?

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:04 pm

siahus wrote:In this day and age, if they do video chat with clients, they should advertise it, or ask me when I make an appt if I would like it!
I think they sent me an e-mail or something with a statement or maybe in their "In the Vanguard" monthly newsletter? I don't know how well their video chat features even works.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Careful wrote:
rakamaka wrote:It is easy to invest in TIAA. It is super-difficult to take money out. They will make you running with (printed, missing, numerous) forms to mail or trick you to transfer into 10 year equal pay annuity instead of lumpsum withdrawal at retirement.
Not good while you need money the most.
rakamaka - Are you talking about the restrictions on TIAA Traditional - the guaranteed fund? Or are there difficulties on moving other things out of T-C also?

I'm not aware of the 10-year equal pay annuity vs lumpsum -- could you explain that further? We both have T-C 503Bs (mine is old, and small, spouse's is current and likely to grow larger -- but we could do VG Funds at Spouse's 403B run by T-C...

thanks for clarification!
Do you have TIAA Traditional Or perhaps Retirement Choice guaranteed funds? If so, This Boglehead page explains the 10 year TPA (Transfer Payout Annuity) option. Scroll down the page to see it. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/TIAA

novicemoney

Post by novicemoney » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:02 pm

I ran across this article and was (maybe a little naively) shocked. I always had the impression that TIAA was one of the "good guys". To be fair, I don't know a lot about them except by general reputation and we have no accounts with them. I always associated them with teacher 403b's, and even thought I have a low opinion of teacher 403b plans, I always thought TIAA plans were some of the better ones. I guess it's caveat emptor as far as financial institutions are concerned.

I was going to post this as a new thread but did a search and decided to revive it instead. Can one be a boglehead and use TIAA?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/21/busi ... share&_r=0

student

Post by student » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:04 pm

novicemoney wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:02 pm
I ran across this article and was (maybe a little naively) shocked. I always had the impression that TIAA was one of the "good guys". To be fair, I don't know a lot about them except by general reputation and we have no accounts with them. I always associated them with teacher 403b's, and even thought I have a low opinion of teacher 403b plans, I always thought TIAA plans were some of the better ones. I guess it's caveat emptor as far as financial institutions are concerned.

I was going to post this as a new thread but did a search and decided to revive it instead. Can one be a boglehead and use TIAA?

There is a discussion of this. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=230313&newpost=3584013

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:11 pm

novicemoney wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:02 pm

There already is a current thread on this:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=230313&newpost=358 ... ead#unread

There is quite a variety of reactions (no surprise) but a lot of this depends upon what type of account you have/size of employer/which funds are available.

But yes, there are many Bogleheads who use TIAA.
At least part of that is because employer plans include TIAA, with limited or no other choices.

Don't forget that TIAA offers a few investments that are not available elsewhere, most importantly Traditional Annuity, and TREA (their Real Estate Account, one that is *not* a REIT).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

I realize this post is a few months old, but in case the OP is still thinking about what to do here are my 2 cents. I've spoken with VG as well as TIAA (and others). I'm OK with Skype but my wife prefers face to face. IMO, TIAA is better for that than VG. There is no charge from TIAA to provide you with an adviser to help you manage your funds. There is a charge if you need additional services (wealth management) as there are in VG. I have not compared those costs as I'm not interested. TIAA person does want you to move your $ to TIAA, but I've only moved retirement funds to take advantage of their guaranteed return ("traditional") product and their (rather unique) real estate product. It was a hard choice to move some $ away from VG, but 2 things persuaded me: (1) the face to face services, and (2) the benefits of the traditional (vs. VG bond funds) in the current interest environment.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Morse Code wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:34 pm
Does anyone have personal experience with TIAA-CREF's Individual Advisory Services?
That's the fee for asset-under-management group, right?

I narrowly avoided it. I had a meeting with a Wealth Management Advisor, asking for retirement planning and asset allocation advice. The next meeting, the WMA handed me some sort of AA guide, which ended with the charges for the Individual Advisory Services.

Strange, I never spoke with the WMA about wanting that, and it just sort of slipped into the document like of course I would do that. At home, I started looking thru the document, thinking about the charges that were involved (more than my father paid Vanguard for more AUM), realizing that a client-preference questionnaire had been filled out for me that indicated I preferred a slant towards TIAA funds...

Yeah, didn't go there.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 pm

TIAA-CREF lost their non-profit status for tax purposes some years ago (2010?) due to high executive compensation levels.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.