A car nicer than the boss?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
randomguy

Re: A car nicer than the boss?

Post by randomguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

edge wrote:Since there are a lot of MB running around at wildly varying prices the car ignorant don't really know how much they all cost. Especially as manufacturers moved to more homogenous styling across lines. It won't stand out like a Ferrari or even a less expensive Maserati would.
Maybe. If you saying people can't tell the difference between a s550,s600, or s63, then sure. But if you think the person that complains about the boss driving a bently isn't going to complain about the boat long merdedes, I doubt. For them there effectively is no difference between a 60k e class and the 200k bently. Both are insane to the person making 40k:)

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:22 pm

autonomy wrote:The S550 is a nice choice, because the average person doesn't really know whether that car cost $60K or $120K. Same for the suggested Corvette Z, M6, etc.

A Bentley or a Maybach is something you're driven in.

Final point - why did you not consider a Maserati? Here in Boston pretty much everyone seems to be able to afford a Lexus/BMW/Audi, but Maseratis are for those select few from the wealthy "W" towns.
I'd go with an Aston Martin myself, classy and sporty at the same time.
Maseratis aren't that expensive these days. You can get the low end model for like 80k. Which is why they are popping up all over the place now. AM is in that other price category. The good news is with either of them you get to buy a second car as a back up:)

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Every time I read about a Maserati, it's about how junky they are for such an expensive car. I'd pass.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:56 pm

TareNeko wrote:
Dieharder wrote:MB S550 is not going to turn heads or grab attention. This the type of car that most people will associate with someone who has worked their way up the ladder and most employees would have no issue with their CFO driving a car like this. In fact, they would be surprised if the CFO didn't drive a car like that. Moreover, it may even look unappealing to the youger crowd, if that is the demographic that will fall under OPs organization. People may even associate a cheaper car like a Honda Accord as a sign of not being ambitious or aggressive enough to be a top earner, unless you are the owner of the business, in that case you can drive anything you want and won't make a difference. Employees typically want to see their officers driving luxury cars because that gives them the feeling they could also work harder and climb the ladder one day.
Who are these people you refer to? What kind of business are they working at?
Financial Services and Technology. I am not generalizing everyone, just stating what I have observed.

NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:33 pm

I had once an older consultant (older than me) reporting to me. He used to park his high end Mercedes away from the building we were in. (This was top brokerage firm at that time). May be you can follow same guideline. Buy a high end car and park it not near the main entrance of the facility.

BTW, I was driving corolla at that time 8-)

Johno

Post by Johno » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Dieharder wrote:
TareNeko wrote:
Dieharder wrote:MB S550 is not going to turn heads or grab attention. This the type of car that most people will associate with someone who has worked their way up the ladder and most employees would have no issue with their CFO driving a car like this. In fact, they would be surprised if the CFO didn't drive a car like that. Moreover, it may even look unappealing to the youger crowd, if that is the demographic that will fall under OPs organization. People may even associate a cheaper car like a Honda Accord as a sign of not being ambitious or aggressive enough to be a top earner, unless you are the owner of the business, in that case you can drive anything you want and won't make a difference. Employees typically want to see their officers driving luxury cars because that gives them the feeling they could also work harder and climb the ladder one day.
Financial Services and Technology. I am not generalizing everyone, just stating what I have observed.
I'm also on other side of the 'puzzled anyone at work could care what car you drive' divide. I understand nobody might care at the postal facility etc. When young I worked at places where nobody made a huge amount different than anyone else and not many people's lives were really centered on work anyway. But in fields where some people make a bleepload and others do not, it can be an issue, either way, and depending the culture of the place. To me it's strange that people can't conceive of this if they haven't experienced it directly, when OTOH I think everyone is familiar with the phenomenon of assuming somebody driving say a BMW is a jerk, even if they don't they don't go in for that kind of generalizing and conclusion-jumping themselves. IME it would definitely make a difference what impression you'd given about your own lifestyle when and if comes the very disagreeable time to lay off people who make a lot less than you, especially let's say you're not the founder/owner. In that case even the best people on the short end of the stick are going to be wrestling with a somewhat understandable emotional tendency to hate you, and again it's hard to believe somebody couldn't conceive of how your conspicuous consumption might intensify that. And that's just the extreme, same to a lesser extent when then don't get the bonus they think they deserve, when they know what they wished for is still way less than what you make. And back to the other thread, at the other extreme frugal visible-at-work spending habits might label you 'unambitious' at some places. Though at other workplaces, nobody cares even if you actually *aren't* ambitious, let alone what your visible spending habits are. IME it depends, but I'm puzzled by people who are puzzled when it's stated that visible consumption habits can affect your career, in some cases.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Johno wrote:
Dieharder wrote:
TareNeko wrote:
I'm also on other side of the 'puzzled anyone at work could care what car you drive' divide. I understand nobody might care at the postal facility etc. When young I worked at places where nobody made a huge amount different than anyone else and not many people's lives were really centered on work anyway. But in fields where some people make a bleepload and others do not, it can be an issue, either way, and depending the culture of the place. To me it's strange that people can't conceive of this if they haven't experienced it directly, when OTOH I think everyone is familiar with the phenomenon of assuming somebody driving say a BMW is a jerk, even if they don't they don't go in for that kind of generalizing and conclusion-jumping themselves. IME it would definitely make a difference what impression you'd given about your own lifestyle when and if comes the very disagreeable time to lay off people who make a lot less than you, especially let's say you're not the founder/owner. In that case even the best people on the short end of the stick are going to be wrestling with a somewhat understandable emotional tendency to hate you, and again it's hard to believe somebody couldn't conceive of how your conspicuous consumption might intensify that. And that's just the extreme, same to a lesser extent when then don't get the bonus they think they deserve, when they know what they wished for is still way less than what you make. And back to the other thread, at the other extreme frugal visible-at-work spending habits might label you 'unambitious' at some places. Though at other workplaces, nobody cares even if you actually *aren't* ambitious, let alone what your visible spending habits are. IME it depends, but I'm puzzled by people who are puzzled when it's stated that visible consumption habits can affect your career, in some cases.
I guess it comes down to the specific environment you are working in. We hear one example that a salesman won't be hired unless they drive a luxury car, certainly wasn't the case for my wife (in a tech company where there is a ton of money thrown around). Or my best friend who is a mid-level exec in a Fortune 100 financial services company and just recently replaced his ~15yr old Ford Taurus...with a late model used Ford Taurus. I make over 4x what some of my full-time employees make and my boss easily makes 50x+ what I do; what car you drive isn't a concern here. Maybe it does exist, it is personally hard for me to fathom because frankly it is sad.

edge

Post by edge » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:38 pm

People are using the word luxury car liberally. There is a huge difference in price/conspicuousness from the 'badge cars' e.g 328i or bottom rung c class and a 275k Bentley.
. I make over 4x what some of my full-time employees make and my boss easily makes 50x+ what I do;
Based on other posts where you indicate that your salary is around 100k that would mean some folks in your org make around 25k. In other words a salary well below the poverty line. It wouldn't surprise me that they don't concern themselves with luxury cars. They have other major challenges to deal with on a daily basis.

IIRC could be wrong but I also recall you posting that you worked at a non profit. If so I find it a bit disturbing that a non profit compensates the next rung up by 50x in that manner unless they were a direct owner of a private firm (and then only maybe). That is way out of whack for non profits or not for profits or even FOR PROFITS. For example, CEOs of major banks etc do not make anywhere near 50x their direct reports. More like 5-10x and in rare cases 1:1.
Last edited by edge on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Wow! Four pages in three days. Clearly a hot topic!

OP, don't buy the Bentley. You can buy what other people at your level have or even slightly lower, and then buy your play car for out-of-work travel.

This has happened to me, but not with cars. Many years ago, I invited my partners to our summer home once and that was it for me. One partner objected to giving me a full bonus (I got it in the end, of course, but it left such a sour taste in my mouth that I left the practice). It might be different in the finance world but envy is universal.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:58 am

edge wrote:People are using the word luxury car liberally. There is a huge difference in price/conspicuousness from the 'badge cars' e.g 328i or bottom rung c class and a 275k Bentley.
. I make over 4x what some of my full-time employees make and my boss easily makes 50x+ what I do;
Based on other posts where you indicate that your salary is around 100k that would mean some folks in your org make around 25k. In other words a salary well below the poverty line. It wouldn't surprise me that they don't concern themselves with luxury cars. They have other major challenges to deal with on a daily basis.

IIRC could be wrong but I also recall you posting that you worked at a non profit. If so I find it a bit disturbing that a non profit compensates the next rung up by 50x in that manner unless they were a direct owner of a private firm (and then only maybe). That is way out of whack for non profits or not for profits or even FOR PROFITS. For example, CEOs of major banks etc do not make anywhere near 50x their direct reports. More like 5-10x and in rare cases 1:1.
Yes, some of my full-time employees make in that salary range and yes some of them drive what I would consider luxury cars. Some of them are young part-time students, almost all of them are married to someone else who also works. Whether they have other challenges because of their salary range or not is irrelevant, just like the rest of the population, many of them drive cars which I have no clue how they afford, but they don't care what I drive nor was I pressured by anybody to drive a nice car (I walk or ride my bike when it isn't snowing, when it is I generally drive a '99 Ford crown victoria) because I am a megacorp director and make more than the huge majority of the rest of the employees.

I did work for several years for a non-profit, I currently work in a multi-billion dollar private company which holds over 30% market share in their industry. My boss is one of four founders of a company which regularly has months where sales are in excess of $1b. I really have no clue what he makes (although I have taken rides in his late-model Accord, older Dodge Ram...and his Gulfstream jet), but I don't think $5m+/yr is out of whack considering the situation. He also could not care less what I do or don't drive.
Last edited by stoptothink on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edge

Post by edge » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:15 pm

If what you say is true you might be the most undercompensated person at your level I've ever seen. To put it in context, I know executive assistants(aka secretaries) who work for people making far less than 5MM who make a lot more money than you. Something is odd with the picture.

autonomy

Post by autonomy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:30 pm

randomguy wrote: Maseratis aren't that expensive these days. You can get the low end model for like 80k. Which is why they are popping up all over the place now. AM is in that other price category. The good news is with either of them you get to buy a second car as a back up:)
BruDude wrote:Every time I read about a Maserati, it's about how junky they are for such an expensive car. I'd pass.
Well, we're talking about flashy, loud cars, not necessarily reliable cars...

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:32 pm

edge wrote:If what you say is true you might be the most undercompensated person at your level I've ever seen. To put it in context, I know executive assistants(aka secretaries) who work for people making far less than 5MM who make a lot more money than you. Something is odd with the picture.
I'm not exactly sure what is so hard to believe and I don't know what sort of reaction you are attempting to get by stating you know secretaries who make much more than I do. There are a few people on this board who can confirm both where I work and my level within the organization. I couldn't tell you what the other director-level employees make, but I know exactly what I make and I tend to think that one of the founders of a company with multiple billion in sales a year does OK. I also know exactly what my counterpart at our biggest competitor makes because she is a close friend who actually first introduced me to my boss, and with over a dozen years in the industry she doesn't make a whole lot more than I do. Maybe I'm underpaid (maybe drastically so), regardless, I have no clue why any of that is relevant - there are some pretty large discrepancies in compensation between employees and nobody cares what other people drive (especially HR).

I'll gladly work for my pittance $100k/yr if I don't have to be part of an environment where what you drive to work is a serious concern for your employer and co-workers. Another thread where some of the snobbery really annoys me.

Johno

Post by Johno » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:31 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:Wow! Four pages in three days. Clearly a hot topic!

OP, don't buy the Bentley. You can buy what other people at your level have or even slightly lower, and then buy your play car for out-of-work travel.

This has happened to me, but not with cars. Many years ago, I invited my partners to our summer home once and that was it for me. One partner objected to giving me a full bonus (I got it in the end, of course, but it left such a sour taste in my mouth that I left the practice). It might be different in the finance world but envy is universal.
It's hot, and you can tell the issue of people possibly being looked on unfavorably for (what's perceived as) 'non ambitious' level of frugality is even hotter. That cuts closer to the nerve on this forum I guess. :D I'm not passing judgement either way. I don't worship 'non judgementalism' generally, but put my judgement mechanism in neutral wrt work issues (if it's not real ethics or legality which this discussion doesn't touch on). And here I've merely observed what was a clear fact in some places I worked: what was considered showing off wealth by the highest paid was a no-no, even in the eyes of other senior people who made as much or more than the perceived show off. That one actually doesn't seem to raise as many hackles as the observation that at the other end of the spectrum it was also possible to identify yourself as a bit less serious and ambitious if you took it too far in the other direction. 'Moderation in all things' was the low risk approach to evidence of wealth that coworkers could constantly see.

But that's not to say coworker/boss opinions should factor at all into spending decisions they don't know about.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:40 pm

Great choice...just when I thought everyone here drove either a honda or a toyota. Nice to seem something different.

Also, had to google what an R8 was...now I want one, haha.

Jeff P

Post by Jeff P » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Get the audi r8. Tell people you are a car nut. Give them rides. Some people will take behind your back. Others wont. Some will be jealous and some wont care.

I'd steer clear of the Bently as less wealthy individuals will likely have negative connotations about people who drive that particular brand of car.

At leat with the R8, you are going to be the boss of people driving around A4's and 6s and Q7's and whatnot. "Oh, you drive an Audi, me too!"

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:54 pm

For a while my other work car when I wasn't driving the '75 Electra was a 1980 Camaro with t-tops and a 383 stroker motor I installed myself. 2 1/2" dual exhaust and a big lumpy roller cam. On the dyno it put out 500 horsepower at 6,100 RPM. I was our company's highest paid national sales executive at the time. :mrgreen:
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Atilla wrote:For a while my other work car when I wasn't driving the '75 Electra was a 1980 Camaro with t-tops and a 383 stroker motor I installed myself. 2 1/2" dual exhaust and a big lumpy roller cam. On the dyno it put out 500 horsepower at 6,100 RPM. I was our company's highest paid national sales executive at the time. :mrgreen:
Were you a sales executive for Pabst Blue Ribbon :D? Sounds like something I would love to drive to work...if I weren't (apparently) paid much less than a secretary.

BenBritt

Post by BenBritt » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Not a good idea for obvious reasons.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Funny thread. I didn't read the whole thing but there is an obvious alternative I didn't see mentioned: a high-end resto-mod or custom. These are older car bodies (say from the 50's or 60's most often) but with fully modern engine, drive train, interiors, and usually have 5-figure paint jobs that just look stunning. They usually cost in the $150k-$300k range.

I knew a guy who had a resto-mod 63 split window vette, who said that car made him appreciate what celebrities have to go through. Every place he'd go, he's spend at least 10 minutes talking to random strangers about his car (his car was the celebrity, not him), and thumbs-up at every stop light. For whatever reason, a $200k 1950's/60's resto-mod vette or caddy or whatever, doesn't give the "DB" image of driving say a modern Bentley or Lambo or whatever. The average joe is impressed by it, not appalled by it. Funny how that works.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:46 pm

so what happened

edge

Post by edge » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:50 pm

It would look quirky to his peers. Maybe in a good way maybe not.
Tamales wrote:Funny thread. I didn't read the whole thing but there is an obvious alternative I didn't see mentioned: a high-end resto-mod or custom. These are older car bodies (say from the 50's or 60's most often) but with fully modern engine, drive train, interiors, and usually have 5-figure paint jobs that just look stunning. They usually cost in the $150k-$300k range.

I knew a guy who had a resto-mod 63 split window vette, who said that car made him appreciate what celebrities have to go through. Every place he'd go, he's spend at least 10 minutes talking to random strangers about his car (his car was the celebrity, not him), and thumbs-up at every stop light. For whatever reason, a $200k 1950's/60's resto-mod vette or caddy or whatever, doesn't give the "DB" image of driving say a modern Bentley or Lambo or whatever. The average joe is impressed by it, not appalled by it. Funny how that works.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:09 pm

I am the president of a company. If someone showed up with a nicer car than mine, I wouldn't give a hoot. I don't know their situation and if they find joy in that sort of thing, more power to them. It's their money, not mine.

Now, decorate your office nicer than mine using company funds at a time when we are struggling to meet financial targets, and we're going to have words.

NMJack

Post by NMJack » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:14 pm

corn18 wrote:Now, decorate your office nicer than mine using company funds at a time when we are struggling to meet financial targets, and we're going to have words.
ppffffftttt!!!!

Sorry corn18, I've just never before had the chance to do that to a "president of a company." :twisted:

Actually, I guess I've had the chance, but not without severe consequences. :sharebeer

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:28 pm

OP - To best answer your question, I first need to know about your watch???

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:37 pm

You can't please everyone. So you've got to please yourself.

Pharmacist

Post by Pharmacist » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:53 pm

I know how my employees feel when the regional manager pulls up in his Audi while they are making $10 an hour. It's leaves a bitter taste. Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with buying nice things with the money you earn but perception really does matter.

Here's what I'd do,... buy new not used and don't buy something crappy like a Bentley. Buy a Corvette and don't use it as your daily driver.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:21 pm

sambb wrote:so what happened
He got an S class coupe 550.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:13 pm

tphp99 wrote: If so, consider de-badging an RS5,6,7, S8 or S63/S65 coupe. These cars are somewhat nondescript enough to fly under the radar
Old thread, I know, but you seem like you know this stuff. Thoughts on the RS5 and S7...? Looking at quick, agile, non-Porsche 4WD sedan or coupe -- used, only. 4WD for wet-road acceleration, not actual "weather."
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:39 pm

We have a guy at work who recently bought a Mercedes S550. It's waxed and polished, looks good. This guy, who is in his late 20s, probably makes $75k per year and that car was $100k new. All of the non-car people at work are oooohhhing and ahhhhhhing over this car. "How can he afford that? "Did he win the lotto?" "That's an expensive car, they are like $100,000!"

He can afford it because it is 5 years old, has 140,000 miles, and a salvage title. My cousin owns the dealership that sold it to him. He paid less than $25,000 for it. But everyone thinks he spent $100k. I can assure you he is telling these facts to nobody.

donall

Post by donall » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:53 pm

You've been hired at a new company, but don't know the culture? I second what others have written, that you need to use a rental until you figure out how well a particular car fits in.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:13 pm

daveydoo wrote:
tphp99 wrote: If so, consider de-badging an RS5,6,7, S8 or S63/S65 coupe. These cars are somewhat nondescript enough to fly under the radar
Old thread, I know, but you seem like you know this stuff. Thoughts on the RS5 and S7...? Looking at quick, agile, non-Porsche 4WD sedan or coupe -- used, only. 4WD for wet-road acceleration, not actual "weather."
The fact that you are paying another 10-20k for a bigger engine will not register with most people. The RS5 isn't getting a second look. It comes across as an entry level luxury car like the c300, bmw 3/4 series and audi A4. You need to be a bit of a car junkie to notice the difference. The A7 (and hence the S7) are in a different category. There are a lot more people buying 40k luxury cars than 75k ones.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:19 pm

randomguy wrote:The RS5 isn't getting a second look.
donall wrote: I second what others have written
tim1999 wrote: "Did he win the lotto?"
I co-opted an older thread to get some opinions about the RS5 and S7, specifically. I'm not the OP -- sorry for any confusion.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:01 pm

I work in Manhattan. I don't know which of my co-workers have cars or what cars they have and they don't know what cars I have.

edge

Post by edge » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:09 pm

A5/S5/RS5 look clunky to me.

S7 looks great in front, 3/4, and side, but the rear...glass is too long and trunk is too short and the styling gives it a droopy feel. It has almost an older Merc CLA feel (ICK). The Merc has been improved some but now it looks kinda overworked and transformer-ish.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:47 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Those are two very very different cars. In my opinion but both are awesome. The RS5 if you are going used is a natural aspirated v8 engine at 450hp. It is designed more as a track car though these cars are very heavy and there are much better options for the price if you wanted to go to the track with it. The car has a tight suspension and therefor will be a rougher ride as compared to a luxury sedan like the S7.

The S7 is also a v8 but with a twin turbo 420hp engine. It is a large heavy sedan it is smooth with awesome acceleration and a comfortable ride but this is not a track car and will not feel like a sports car. It is actually the same car as the S6 but with a different body and a higher price tag. Just about everything else is exactly the same. This car has some very cool tuning options available and for about $2k you can get this car to well over 550hp and 550 torque just by adjusting the car's programing. Although it will void your warranty by modifying the chip, if you brought it back to stock prior to going to the dealer, the dealer will never know. This is not illegal.

If I wanted a sedan I would be getting a used S6 and then mod it. Maybe the S7 for the looks cause I think they are one of the hottest cars on the road today.

Disclaimer: I am an Audi fanboy
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:53 pm

What a country... where we judge people based on the price of the car they drive. Oye!

Yesterdaysnews

Post by Yesterdaysnews » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:32 pm

New S-class coupe looks like a Honda Accord so probably works out for the best.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:05 am

LarryAllen wrote:What a country... where we judge people based on the price of the car they drive. Oye!
Not just that, but apparently we make hiring decisions based upon they car they drive as well.

This megacorp director is still apparently paid less than Edge's secretary and drives a much less fancy car (we got rid of the 2nd car, I walk exclusively), but I did get a nice raise :D and traveled this past week to and from a conference with my boss in his Gulfstream (and to the airport in his luxury car...a new (to him) Hyundai Genesis).

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:00 am

EnjoyIt wrote: Those are two very very different cars. In my opinion but both are awesome.
EnjoyIt wrote: A5/S5/RS5 look clunky to me.
Many thanks! Just drove the older RS5 -- it was a blast on the hilly back roads, but limited low-end torque, unexpectedly. I agree that RS5 and S7 are very different -- didn't mean to imply that I felt they were equivalent -- there were just two reasonably-priced, middle-mileage ones close by and they were both big engine, AWD, and driver-oriented (to differing degrees). Knew I'd find some expertise here, so thanks.

Again, I resurrected an old thread to specifically ask about these cars -- not so much about Honda or the state of car attitudes in America, etc. Shoulda just started a new thread... :happy

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:31 am

I'd be willing to make a bet that if no one could see the luxury car, that a good number of people who "love" luxury cars will simply not buy them. I think it's more than a little sad to live your entire life trying to impress people in terms of what you can afford. Buy it if it brings you real joy and you think the money couldn't be allocated better; don't buy it if it's just a way of impressing people.

When I read threads like these that go on and on about what other people might or might not think about what a person owns, I often end up at the same place: [(removed) --admin LadyGeek]

I am impressed by colleagues who are competent, ethical, intelligent team players. Whether they drive upgraded metal to work? Not so much.

Maxxie

Post by Maxxie » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:15 am

2tall4economy wrote:So, putting aside the whole "nice cars are a waste" (which I don't necessarily disagree with, but this is where I choose to spend my money vs pretty much everything else), do you think that driving a significantly nicer car would be a bad impression for my new job? What has your experience been?
Unfortunately, socializing is often rather important, especially with big companies. And by socializing, I also mean fulfilling expectations unrelated to the job as such. Failure to fulfill then often leads to the (probably perceived) lack of cohesion, which may, in fact, turn out badly for one's future or even immediate career.

Basically, if the boss cares about how much your car costs, you may not like the consequences if you don't fit in with their expectations. But that's only if they really care.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:21 am

I wouldn't associate someone's income at all with what car they drive. A lot of people don't spend within their means...I've seen countless cases over the years where people have spent way too much on a depreciating asset (car), and others who I know make a ton of money (Partners) with ordinary cars.

I think there's a much closer associated between home cost and income...but that's something all your coworkers get to see.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:35 am

daveydoo wrote:
EnjoyIt wrote: Those are two very very different cars. In my opinion but both are awesome.
unknown wrote: A5/S5/RS5 look clunky to me.
Many thanks! Just drove the older RS5 -- it was a blast on the hilly back roads, but limited low-end torque, unexpectedly. I agree that RS5 and S7 are very different -- didn't mean to imply that I felt they were equivalent -- there were just two reasonably-priced, middle-mileage ones close by and they were both big engine, AWD, and driver-oriented (to differing degrees). Knew I'd find some expertise here, so thanks.

Again, I resurrected an old thread to specifically ask about these cars -- not so much about Honda or the state of car attitudes in America, etc. Shoulda just started a new thread... :happy

You are definitely better off asking a place like this than going to an Audi forum as they will recommend you spending every dime you have on cars and car accessories :)

Also I did not write that the "A5/S5/RS5 look clunky." That was written written by another poster and misquoted by you. I am a big fan of those cars.

If you want more low end torque consider the S5. Its supercharger provides more low end torque. Then consider spending another $2500 on a tune and a new pully giving you approximately 430hp which will actually make the car faster than the RS5 since it is lighter and has lots of torque in the low RPM range. If you want to go all out and track the car then adding in a Big Brake kit for about $3000 and suspension for $2500 and you are good to go. Your car will actually be better than the RS5 for a bit less money.

In all honesty if you are looking to just drive and have a comfy ride with plenty of torque for some excitement on the highway every so often then the S6/S7 is probably your best bet. If you want something more sporty with better driving feel then the S5/RS5 is where you want to go. My wife prefers not to sit in my modded S5 because it is too rough for her. :twisted: But she does enjoy driving it. :annoyed

edge

Post by edge » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:59 am

I don't think people at work really care unless it is the situation where folks on the low end of the totem get irritated that the top brass makes so much more money than them.

Other than that it is more about 'looking presentable' than some kind of race to see who can spend more.

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:30 pm

I love this "low end torque" stuff. Every time makes me wonder why people are so lazy to shift, but want sports car. If I'm not mistaken, this car has autimatic gearbox as well... :oops:
daveydoo wrote: Many thanks! Just drove the older RS5 -- it was a blast on the hilly back roads, but limited low-end torque, unexpectedly. I agree that RS5 and S7 are very different -- didn't mean to imply that I felt they were equivalent -- there were just two reasonably-priced, middle-mileage ones close by and they were both big engine, AWD, and driver-oriented (to differing degrees). Knew I'd find some expertise here, so thanks.

edge

Post by edge » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Not sure what you mean. Low end torque is not really related to gear ratio but I suppose you would shift MORE if the torque was front loaded?
TareNeko wrote:I love this "low end torque" stuff. Every time makes me wonder why people are so lazy to shift, but want sports car. If I'm not mistaken, this car has autimatic gearbox as well... :oops:
daveydoo wrote: Many thanks! Just drove the older RS5 -- it was a blast on the hilly back roads, but limited low-end torque, unexpectedly. I agree that RS5 and S7 are very different -- didn't mean to imply that I felt they were equivalent -- there were just two reasonably-priced, middle-mileage ones close by and they were both big engine, AWD, and driver-oriented (to differing degrees). Knew I'd find some expertise here, so thanks.

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Yes, you would shift more. You should shift more.
Call me old fashioned. If you are going to keep the car in 6th gear while canyon carving, then you are missing the point.
edge wrote:Not sure what you mean. Low end torque is not really related to gear ratio but I suppose you would shift MORE if the torque was front loaded?

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:11 pm

edge wrote:Not sure what you mean. Low end torque is not really related to gear ratio but I suppose you would shift MORE if the torque was front loaded?
TareNeko wrote:I love this "low end torque" stuff. Every time makes me wonder why people are so lazy to shift, but want sports car. If I'm not mistaken, this car has autimatic gearbox as well... :oops:

For someone who drives around town and wants to mash the peddle low end torque is what they will prefer and enjoy more.

Low end torque will allow you to have more power earlier in the gear range. If looked at an RPM to torque curve you will see power start building up at a lower RPM and increasing until it reaches redline. By having low end torque you reach a large percentage of the power at a lower RMP. This means you can have lots of power at 3000 rpm and keep pulling through all the way to redline at 7000 or whatever redline is. Again most people on the street experience driving at 2500-3500 rpm and therefor having more power there is much more fun to most drivers.

Also Low end torque is important when pulling away from standstill or a slow roll.

TareNeko, those cars come with either manual or dual clutch. I won't get into the argument if dual clutch is really manual, automatic, or an automatic manual, it makes no difference to this particular discussion.

And another thing, lets put ourselves on a track just coming into a tight hairpin turn. We have two options drop to 3rd gear at 3500 rpm or 2nd gear at 5500. If we choose 2nd gear we slowly apply throttle into the turn and at the apex start to accelerate. Right before getting out of the turn we are hitting redline. The other option is to stay in 3rd gear accelerate right through the turn and keep pushing strong into the straight away until redline. By having plenty of power in the middle of 3rd gear I believe allows you to take that turn smoother and accelerate faster out of it. I'm just a novice and may be wrong but this is how it feels.
Last edited by EnjoyIt on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blevine

Post by blevine » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:22 pm

I worked in a small sub of an S&P 500 years ago.
While I was the regional CTO, and making decent money, many drove nicer cars than I did.
My choice to drive practical cars (all modest cost Japanese cars for many years now, usually spend $30k or so at today's prices).
There in fact was a secretary who was gifted what looked like a very expensive MB model, more expensive than our CEO's car,
and certainly mine. Can't recall what % had nicer cars than me, but far more than had higher income.

From my viewpoint, I didn't care one lick what other people drove. I noticed it yes,
but did not care if others had nicer cars. My choice what to drive, they are entitled to their choice as well.