A car nicer than the boss?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ClevrChico

Re: A car nicer than the boss?

Post by ClevrChico » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:34 am

edge wrote:
dbr wrote:I do recall one of my colleagues enduring never ending (good natured) hassle from the department for driving the same make and model as the Director. We used to call that kind of car a "director car." I am not sure we were not also making fun of the boss. But seriously, no one really cared.

That could be a 'get ahead' thing. I've noticed some VP guys get additions to their wardrobe or suddenly take on new hobbies (boating, hunting, etc) to match their c-level boss. Playing the 'I'm like you' card is a fairly powerful psychological tactic.
''

I saw a manager buy the same car as the director shortly after joining the company. Then they bought a dog and named it after the director, That didn't go over well.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:06 am

2tall4economy wrote:do you think that driving a significantly nicer car would be a bad impression for my new job? What has your experience been?
No idea. I don't know anything about your new company. I don't worry about it myself but I'm nowhere near anything like subsidiary CFO either. People don't seem to care what I drive. I can't afford the cars you're considering but I do have a nicer car than my boss.
jackholloway wrote:You are planning on dropping 100k+ on a car, and are quibbling over a couple hundred bucks for a cheap rental for a few weeks? Rent something cheap, scope out the land, and buy sensibly once you have met the people.
That's the only way to get a meaningful answer to the question.

gundlached

Post by gundlached » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:17 am

if you drive a bentley or any $100K car, used or not, you can never claim to be a tightwad. Just can't. Sorry.

"I'm a huge tightwad except for my gold plated house, rocket car, and luxurious vacations"

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:19 am

I remember one year where the "prize" for fair share United Way giving was you got to drive the CEO's PT Cruiser for a day! This guy had millions. You saw very few executives driving fancy cars - at least not to work. Can't drive a better car than the boss man. A few years later a new CEO came to the company that had a high-end Benz. Let's just say the luxury dealerships had a good month or two after that.

Oh, the person that won the PT Cruiser for the day had to return the car with a full tank of gas.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 am

Everyone that works for me drives a nicer car than me and I don't look down on them for it (on a smaller scale than the pricetags you are talking about - I'm talking Camry versus 6-series BMW - but same idea...) - everyone has different priorities for how they spend their money and live their lives.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:26 am

EmergDoc wrote:I now also hope I never work at a job where anyone I work with cares what I drive.
Seriously. Maybe I am naive, but every time a thread like this comes up, I do a quick eye roll. I can't even imagine a work environment where this is actually a consideration. My boss is worth mid 9-figures, he drives a late model Honda Accord or beat up Dodge Ram to the office (when he isn't traveling the world in his Gulfstream) - the only way I know this is we regularly go to lunch on the rare occasion he is in town. At the director-level, I do know that one of the colleagues recently bought a Porsche Caymen GTS, but that is only because he is a major gearhead and him and I talk about motorcyles all the time (his other daily driver is a Ducati supermotard). I don't have the faintest clue what everyone else drives, nor do I care. If this is actually a thing, which I have my doubts about, I am definitely glad I work in the area and field I do.

grandmacassie

Post by grandmacassie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:41 am

Recently DH and I were at an event and one of his underlings was also there. I noticed that the underling drives a Lexus and DH drives a Honda. I said "Why does So-and So drive a Lexus and you drive a Honda?!" DH didn't miss a beat, looked me dead in the eye and said "His wife works." :D I still laugh when I think about it. That quick wit has kept us happy for 40+ years (FWIW, said wife is a private school librarian...not a high earner by any means.) I think we got over the status symbol thing a few years ago. Value is more important to us now.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 am

Not sure how to tie in, if the CFO drives a 100+k car, will not be tightwad in office.
One is personal, supported by many things such as family, passion, etc.
Another at office is different.

Let the CFO makes the correct decisions that saves \ propels the company in $100+ millions.

Will we take a CFO like Enron's former Chief Financial Officer Andy Fastow, as a good CFO, if he drove a beater to office :oops: :twisted:

fanmail

Post by fanmail » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:54 am

Drive whatever you want, you're a CFO. Nobody should find it odd that you drive a 100k car in that role.

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:58 am

If you're living in Detroit and in the car industry, it's possible (and sometimes likely) that your car cost more than your house.

Drive whatever you want.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Chan_va wrote:As a CFO, you will likely be preaching cost controls. At some point you may even have to lay people off. Think about how that will come across as you drive into work in a Bentley. Buy any car you want, but use that as a weekend driver. Go cheap and sensible for the daily driver. Impressions matter.
This would be my advice. Nice car, expensive? Sure. But a Bently gives off all the wrong vibes. Think M5, M6 or AMG for even better performance with less "bling". Bently says "more money than brains" and that is not the image you want to cultivate as a CFO. I know as I was one.

The fact that your rich boss might drive an old pick up truck or a Camry, just makes it more obvious to me that what you drive to work matters. Maybe not in all workplaces, but certainly in some.
Last edited by SQRT on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Chan_va wrote:As a CFO, you will likely be preaching cost controls. At some point you may even have to lay people off. Think about how that will come across as you drive into work in a Bentley. Buy any car you want, but use that as a weekend driver. Go cheap and sensible for the daily driver. Impressions matter.
This. I would be extremely suspect if my CFO drove a Bentley Convertible to work. And I'm the President.

Drive whatever you want away from work, but as a leader, what you drive to work does get scrutinized and is part of your reputation and can build or wreck your credibility with others.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

grandmacassie wrote:Recently DH and I were at an event and one of his underlings was also there. I noticed that the underling drives a Lexus and DH drives a Honda. I said "Why does So-and So drive a Lexus and you drive a Honda?!" DH didn't miss a beat, looked me dead in the eye and said "His wife works." :D I still laugh when I think about it. That quick wit has kept us happy for 40+ years (FWIW, said wife is a private school librarian...not a high earner by any means.) I think we got over the status symbol thing a few years ago. Value is more important to us now.
Underlings? Really?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
grandmacassie wrote:Recently DH and I were at an event and one of his underlings was also there. I noticed that the underling drives a Lexus and DH drives a Honda. I said "Why does So-and So drive a Lexus and you drive a Honda?!" DH didn't miss a beat, looked me dead in the eye and said "His wife works." :D I still laugh when I think about it. That quick wit has kept us happy for 40+ years (FWIW, said wife is a private school librarian...not a high earner by any means.) I think we got over the status symbol thing a few years ago. Value is more important to us now.
Underlings? Really?
I refer to my direct reports as plebes :D . Another thread that wreaks of upper-class snobbery.
Last edited by stoptothink on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feh

Post by feh » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:10 pm

navyitaly wrote:Who cares what others drive?
+1

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:32 pm

Buy the Bentley but make it into a sleeper.

Remove all external badging. Go to your local Chrysler dealer and get Chrysler wings and 300 badges. All but the biggest enthusiasts will think you bought American.

I did something similar years ago, rebadging an S4 with 1.8T badges. Great fun in the instructors group on the track.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:01 pm

I had a wealthy college professor years ago. He drove a Rolls Royce, but kept a chauffeur's cap in the car to put on when he went to McDonalds.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Most people in senior management where I work either drive very high end pickups (F-150 Platinum, etc.) or boring modest cars (Accord, Impala, etc.) However I know for a fact that almost all of those folks also either own a restored antique/classic car, a large boat, a vacation house, have gigantic wine collections, take multiple "exotic" vacations each year, or own a small airplane. They care enough not to drive a rusted out jalopy, but appear to prefer to spend their money on other things.

During all of my time in the workforce, I've always driven a more expensive car than my boss, I don't think it really matters.

I would not drive a Bentley or Rolls to the office. Just sends the wrong message to certain people, and being angry at the rich is sort of trendy now.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:56 pm

gundlached wrote:if you drive a bentley or any $100K car, used or not, you can never claim to be a tightwad. Just can't. Sorry.

"I'm a huge tightwad except for my gold plated house, rocket car, and luxurious vacations"
among other things:
only using company cell phone (which they are ok with) and skype / facetime / whatsap vs cell phone plans
no tv / cable in my house
library cards vs books
kids enjoy playing outside and with hardware and other odds and ends around the house vs tons of plastic toys and crap
save 75% of my take home pay
qualify as a "prolific accumulator of wealth"

and most important, I'm a car guy that has not spent a dime on vehicles and related since 2008
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

edge

Post by edge » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:05 pm

I think that would detract from the point of buying the Bentley. Bentley's are not drivers cars, they are a flashy ultra luxurious status symbol.

The OPs car choices are actually perplexing to me. The R8 is basically a race car and the Bentley, despite the fat hog being able to go fast in a straight line, is on the other end of the spectrum. Typically people decide what kind of car they want (sports sedan, coupe, GT, track car, luxury car, SUV, etc) and then choose within that class.
Jack FFR1846 wrote:Buy the Bentley but make it into a sleeper.

Remove all external badging. Go to your local Chrysler dealer and get Chrysler wings and 300 badges. All but the biggest enthusiasts will think you bought American.

I did something similar years ago, rebadging an S4 with 1.8T badges. Great fun in the instructors group on the track.

BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:18 pm

I know this is not a "what car should I buy" thread but what about a 2015 Camaro Z/28? Probably similar performance to an R8 but a lot less conspicuous. Plus, they are going for ~20K under MSRP now.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detai ... /overview/

aj44

Post by aj44 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:27 pm

It all depends on the role in my experience. I have usually been in operations where even the VP's drive Malibu's, Accords, Camry's and cars like them to the office.

Sales is a different story, the times I have reported into that area of the business my boss had a Mercedes, Lexus or something like it. An HR manager I knew with the sales team told me the first thing they look at in an interview for sales rep is what kind of car they drove to the interview, anything but a clean luxury car pretty much meant the person did not get the job.

I drive a clean, well maintained 07 Sentra with 130k miles, all my direct reports have a better car than me and I could care less.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:34 pm

aj44 wrote: Sales is a different story, the times I have reported into that area of the business my boss had a Mercedes, Lexus or something like it. An HR manager I knew with the sales team told me the first thing they look at in an interview for sales rep is what kind of car they drove to the interview, anything but a clean luxury car pretty much meant the person did not get the job.
My wife must be a real sweet-talker (or real pretty) because 6-months ago she rolled up to a job interview in a gold '99 Ford Crown Victoria (with 3 hubcaps), with no direct sales experience, and walked out with an offer to join the enterprise sales team of a rapidly growing tech company.

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Unless you all walk to your cars together, no one is going to know what you drive. So, positive or negative opinion impacts of the boss is pretty much a non-issue.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:55 pm

leonard wrote:Unless you all walk to your cars together, no one is going to know what you drive. So, positive or negative opinion impacts of the boss is pretty much a non-issue.
Not true with something unusual that stands out. When I joined a small tech company, I drove in one day with the Lotus. I was in the lab when one of the engineers came over and said "Lotus, eh?". I asked how he knew it was mine. "New guy, Lotus in the lot...". People figure it out.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Johno

Post by Johno » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:56 pm

bsteiner wrote: I take the train to work in NYC. My co-workers don't know what car I have, and I don't know which of them have cars or what cars they have.
Yeah, taking public transport to Manhattan, nobody knew what car I had. Given my general persona they would have thought regular car far below means, which was actually the last one I bought that I told anyone at work about. When I started buying expensive ones (not Bentley level, affordable but I would just be too bummed the first time it squeaked or got a scratch :D ) I just didn't mention it. The general culture was that high paid people were not supposed to flaunt it, that was the unwritten rule. Somebody, especially the new guy, talking about his new Bentley would have raised eyebrows in a negative way, even from other people who could as easily afford it. I'm not saying that makes sense and it's fine for lots of posters to say how they don't care and nobody should care, but that's still how it was. And I think it should be somewhat understandable how $200k cars can stir more passion than if it's whether one guy at the office has a new Toyota and another guy has an old Toyota. Also it might be that in other places you'd be viewed a wimp if you got paid enough to afford super expensive cars but didn't get them, I don't know.

So the advice to know the culture first sounds good to me, assuming it's a place with a parking lot where people see the 'daily driver'. I've never driven to work regularly in my life.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:03 pm

I would recommend a more low profile car for the daily driver and then splurge on a weekend car that the working stiffs at the company won't see.

Johno

Post by Johno » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:39 pm

gundlached wrote:if you drive a bentley or any $100K car, used or not, you can never claim to be a tightwad. Just can't. Sorry.

This is an implicit debate in lots of personal/consumer threads here, whether frugality is only relative or it's absolute. But if you say it's absolute, it tends to imply some kind of morality/ideology in favor of spending a small absolute amount of money (the MMM phenomenon has that flavor), but what is it exactly? If you just aim to save up X times what you spend every year, it's all relative, person spending $250k of $750k take home to accumulate $10mil is just as frugal as the $25k out of $75k saver aiming for $1mil. And %'s of take home like that are more practical to achieve at high income. Relative would seem to me the best default assumption, though maybe it's a mix of the two. I can see how 'Bentley' and 'tightwad' are in a certain tension as concepts. :D

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
leonard wrote:Unless you all walk to your cars together, no one is going to know what you drive. So, positive or negative opinion impacts of the boss is pretty much a non-issue.
Not true with something unusual that stands out. When I joined a small tech company, I drove in one day with the Lotus. I was in the lab when one of the engineers came over and said "Lotus, eh?". I asked how he knew it was mine. "New guy, Lotus in the lot...". People figure it out.
"Small tech company" is much different than fortune 200 as the OP indicated. I was in fortune 10 Tech company and you had complete anonymity with respect to what was sitting in the parking lot.

Lamborgini in the parking lot? must belong to one of the 2000 people that work in these adjacent buildings.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:41 pm

MikeZ wrote:Look at what you drive as saying the same thing as your dress, what time to get in, etc--- you are setting a tone.

This. Would you wear a silk top hat to work every day? :)

gundlached

Post by gundlached » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Johno wrote:

This is an implicit debate in lots of personal/consumer threads here, whether frugality is only relative or it's absolute. But if you say it's absolute, it tends to imply some kind of morality/ideology in favor of spending a small absolute amount of money (the MMM phenomenon has that flavor), but what is it exactly? If you just aim to save up X times what you spend every year, it's all relative, person spending $250k of $750k take home to accumulate $10mil is just as frugal as the $25k out of $75k saver aiming for $1mil. And %'s of take home like that are more practical to achieve at high income. Relative would seem to me the best default assumption, though maybe it's a mix of the two. I can see how 'Bentley' and 'tightwad' are in a certain tension as concepts. :D
Haha, true. Not to say that being able to describe yourself as a "tightwad" is necessarily a good thing. To me, "tightwad" has a connotation of extreme cheapness despite an ability to spend much more. That is relative, but at some point, it enters "first world problems" territory. A "used" Bentley would be an example of that :greedy

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:13 am

For those interested with the end of the story, I went with an S class coupe 550. Black with saddle leather interior, because when it comes to Mercedes you can get any color you want as long as it's black, black, black, black, red tinted black, blue tinted black, black, black or silver.

Beautiful car though.

I pick it up tomorrow. I flirted with an S8 which would probably be more anonymous but the only ones for sale now are the 520hp versions; the 605hp version comes out soon for the same price so that would be even less frugal of me... and I like the look of the S class better anyway.

I actually spent more than a used Bentley would have cost (since there is no such thing as a used S class coupe as of yet), yet this seems to be significantly lower profile. At least I really hope so.

I think I'll delete the badges as you all made me paranoid.

I'm a car lover and could care less what others think (unless they are fellow car lovers) but it certainly seems like the reverse isn't true. Anyway, it's for me, not for them.

But point on message being sent is well taken.

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:34 am

enjoy!

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:49 am

The new S class coupe is one incredibly sexy car and much lower profile than a Bentley. Probably better in almost every aspect than a used Bentley too. Nice choice. I would have voted for a Panamera Turbo or GTS.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:12 am

BruDude wrote:The new S class coupe is one incredibly sexy car and much lower profile than a Bentley. Probably better in almost every aspect than a used Bentley too. Nice choice. I would have voted for a Panamera Turbo or GTS.
I actually looked at a 911 Turbo at the same time I looked at the Bentley and R8. I didn't fit well in it compared to the other two (I'm really tall) so I didn't consider Porsche for the second round.

edge

Post by edge » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:12 am

The S class coupe is a beautiful large heavy touring car. It isn't a sports car or a drivers car - just too long (almost 17 ft?) and heavy. I would say it is unlikely for it to be as showy as a Connie or R8 race car.

I am not sure if the 550 is the same as the S63 but my neighbor's S63 has an incredible looking interior. It has some kind of metalized (a word I made up) wood. He has a silver matte paint finish I hadn't seen before either.

Thank god they did not ruin the back of this car with another 'full diaper' design like in the CLA or CLS.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:59 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Underlings? Really?
Exactly my thoughts when I read it. Sounds like an un-American thing to call someone as an underling. But, I get the point. People drive whatever they want, so what?

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:27 am

edge wrote:The S class coupe is a beautiful large heavy touring car. It isn't a sports car or a drivers car - just too long (almost 17 ft?) and heavy. I would say it is unlikely for it to be as showy as a Connie or R8 race car.

I am not sure if the 550 is the same as the S63 but my neighbor's S63 has an incredible looking interior. It has some kind of metalized (a word I made up) wood. He has a silver matte paint finish I hadn't seen before either.

Thank god they did not ruin the back of this car with another 'full diaper' design like in the CLA or CLS.
MB calls it "designo Metallized Ash wood" You weren't far off. Nice choice OP.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:04 am

edge wrote:The S class coupe is a beautiful large heavy touring car. It isn't a sports car or a drivers car - just too long (almost 17 ft?) and heavy. I would say it is unlikely for it to be as showy as a Connie or R8 race car.

Similiar interior (well depending on options) but different engine. I must admit I never understood why you buy a coupe the size of a boat:) It is a good looking car though.

I am a bit curious is this is considered an acceptable car? Sure it isn't as flashy as a bently or an r8 but is there really a difference to most people between a 130k car and a 200k one? I would think if you are concerned about a 200k car, I am guessing you would car about a 130k one.
=

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:14 am

My preference is to have a nice boat and a crappy car. I couldn't care less if you have a nice car if that is what you like to do with your money. People can be so petty!

edge

Post by edge » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:20 am

Since there are a lot of MB running around at wildly varying prices the car ignorant don't really know how much they all cost. Especially as manufacturers moved to more homogenous styling across lines. It won't stand out like a Ferrari or even a less expensive Maserati would.
randomguy wrote:

Similiar interior (well depending on options) but different engine. I must admit I never understood why you buy a coupe the size of a boat:) It is a good looking car though.

I am a bit curious is this is considered an acceptable car? Sure it isn't as flashy as a bently or an r8 but is there really a difference to most people between a 130k car and a 200k one? I would think if you are concerned about a 200k car, I am guessing you would car about a 130k one.
=

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:36 am

MB S550 is not going to turn heads or grab attention. This the type of car that most people will associate with someone who has worked their way up the ladder and most employees would have no issue with their CFO driving a car like this. In fact, they would be surprised if the CFO didn't drive a car like that. Moreover, it may even look unappealing to the youger crowd, if that is the demographic that will fall under OPs organization. People may even associate a cheaper car like a Honda Accord as a sign of not being ambitious or aggressive enough to be a top earner, unless you are the owner of the business, in that case you can drive anything you want and won't make a difference. Employees typically want to see their officers driving luxury cars because that gives them the feeling they could also work harder and climb the ladder one day.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 am

Dieharder wrote: People may even associate a cheaper car like a Honda Accord as a sign of not being ambitious or aggressive enough to be a top earner, unless you are the owner of the business, in that case you can drive anything you want and won't make a difference. Employees typically want to see their officers driving luxury cars because that gives them the feeling they could also work harder and climb the ladder one day.
Thank heavens I work in the company and field that I do. I showed this post to a few of my employees and they were as confused as I was that this is a thing...and every one of them drives a nicer car than the yours truly.

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 am

Dieharder wrote:MB S550 is not going to turn heads or grab attention. This the type of car that most people will associate with someone who has worked their way up the ladder and most employees would have no issue with their CFO driving a car like this. In fact, they would be surprised if the CFO didn't drive a car like that. Moreover, it may even look unappealing to the youger crowd, if that is the demographic that will fall under OPs organization. People may even associate a cheaper car like a Honda Accord as a sign of not being ambitious or aggressive enough to be a top earner, unless you are the owner of the business, in that case you can drive anything you want and won't make a difference. Employees typically want to see their officers driving luxury cars because that gives them the feeling they could also work harder and climb the ladder one day.
Who are these people you refer to? What kind of business are they working at?

TNL

Post by TNL » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:07 am

I like the MB 550. Nice choice!

gundlached

Post by gundlached » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:38 am

2tall4economy wrote:

among other things:
only using company cell phone (which they are ok with) and skype / facetime / whatsap vs cell phone plans
no tv / cable in my house
library cards vs books
kids enjoy playing outside and with hardware and other odds and ends around the house vs tons of plastic toys and crap
save 75% of my take home pay
qualify as a "prolific accumulator of wealth"

and most important, I'm a car guy that has not spent a dime on vehicles and related since 2008

Not saying there is anything wrong with you getting a bentley. Just that it is a car designed to exude "conspicuous consumption". It makes an impression that you have so much money, that you don't care if you blow it on a pricey car, and you want people to know it. It's not something you want if you pride yourself on a "tightwad" label (though, not sure I'd celebrate that label either).

One of those items that is absolute in its status as unnecessary luxury. That's what Bentley stands for. If you have one, it is an effort to declare yourself not a tightwad. People will laugh at the self described "tightwad" in a Bentley.

If I saw someone rolling in a Bentley, I would not give him a break in traffic. A corvette, however, I'd let that man merge in just so I could scope out the all American ride.

newuser123

Post by newuser123 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:40 am

No need to impress your recruiter/boss.
Ride a bike to work and make everyone in the executive level to follow you.
:sharebeer

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:41 am

2tall4economy wrote:
BruDude wrote:The new S class coupe is one incredibly sexy car and much lower profile than a Bentley. Probably better in almost every aspect than a used Bentley too. Nice choice. I would have voted for a Panamera Turbo or GTS.
I actually looked at a 911 Turbo at the same time I looked at the Bentley and R8. I didn't fit well in it compared to the other two (I'm really tall) so I didn't consider Porsche for the second round.
My dad had the same problem with the 911, tough to get in/out of for an old guy, but the Panamera was easy for him. I really like the Panameras, might have to get a GTS for my next car.

autonomy

Post by autonomy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:46 am

The S550 is a nice choice, because the average person doesn't really know whether that car cost $60K or $120K. Same for the suggested Corvette Z, M6, etc.

A Bentley or a Maybach is something you're driven in.

Final point - why did you not consider a Maserati? Here in Boston pretty much everyone seems to be able to afford a Lexus/BMW/Audi, but Maseratis are for those select few from the wealthy "W" towns.
I'd go with an Aston Martin myself, classy and sporty at the same time.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:18 pm

This is like the flip side of the thread we had a while back where someone felt like their car wasn't expensive/fancy/nice/new enough to show up at work with.

My thought here are the same: Drive what you want, whether it's a Bentley or a Gremlin.

Unless the car experience is actually part of your job (i.e., real estate agent, Uber driver, etc.), no one else should give a flip what sort of car you show up in, and if they do, that's their fault and they need to grow up.

- JJ
Stay on target...