Writing checks - a Bogleheads thing to do?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
noraz123

Writing checks - a Bogleheads thing to do?

Post by noraz123 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:53 am

This evening I was at the supermarket and the person in line in front of me paid for her groceries by writing a check. My first thought was something along the lines, "Who still writes checks in this day and age?"

I almost never write checks, and think of it as antiquated and time consuming. So it made me wonder why anyone would still do it. Then I thought that if I wrote a check, I would retain the funds longer in my account than if I had used my debit card (seemingly instant transfer).

I think that I will stick to using my credit card that gives me the float and 2% back. But wanted to see if any Bogleheads write checks, and if there any benefits I am missing.

denovo

Re: Writing checks - a Bogleheads thing to do?

Post by denovo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:00 am

There are some studies that say people spend more money when they use credit cards as opposed to cash or debit. Maybe checks have the same operative effect of cash or debit.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ds/390846/
It's well documented that people paying with plastic are willing to spend more than when paying with cash—a phenomenon everyone fancies themselves immune to.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit- ... pend-more/
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:05 am

noraz123 wrote:This evening I was at the supermarket and the person in line in front of me paid for her groceries by writing a check. My first thought was something along the lines, "Who still writes checks in this day and age?"

I almost never write checks, and think of it as antiquated and time consuming. So it made me wonder why anyone would still do it. Then I thought that if I wrote a check, I would retain the funds longer in my account than if I had used my debit card (seemingly instant transfer).

I think that I will stick to using my credit card that gives me the float and 2% back. But wanted to see if any Bogleheads write checks, and if there any benefits I am missing.
I had to write four checks to Vanguard yesterday. To make matters worse, I had to fill out four 10 page paper applications to open accounts. Apparently you still, in 2015, cannot open custodial accounts at Vanguard online.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:22 am

Quite a number of families do not have credit cards. And many do not have checking accounts. But those who can write checks should be able to use a debit card. However, a debit card looks at one's checking account instantaneously to get the money. If there is no money in the checking account, then a check will still work in that instance. And yesterday was payday for many folks, so writing a check could save a $30 or more overdraft fee.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:50 am

I write checks only when I have to, such as property tax payments. Cash and credit cards otherwise...
Attempted new signature...

riley42

Post by riley42 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:35 am

When I see a "convenience fee" attached to using my credit card online, I pull out the checkbook.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:36 am

The Wizard wrote:I write checks only when I have to, such as property tax payments. Cash and credit cards otherwise...
I'm mostly the same. There are a few bills that I must pay by check: water, sewer, trash, and a car payment. And 2 more that cannot be paid with a credit card, so I write a check: daycare and dance class.

finster869

Post by finster869 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:52 am

riley42 wrote:When I see a "convenience fee" attached to using my credit card online, I pull out the checkbook.
Ditto, otherwise I use a CC for the points/cash back.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:02 am

I write as few checks as possible... $35 for the last book of checks plus stamp/envelope if going through the mail. Cash or debit for me...

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:11 am

I write some checks - but not at the supermarket - I hate it when I have to wait for someone to get their checkbook out, write the check etc. I consider it being inconsiderate to those waiting behind. Of course when I pay using a credit card or a $20 bill instead of swiping a debit card those savvy people behind me are thinking the same of me. :happy

I don't use my debit card. I find it hard to eliminate checks completely. Use it for gifts e.g. my grandson is 5 today and we will give him some toy, a card with some one dollar bills and give his parents a check to use for him (clothes, college or Disney fund?). Pay misc. taxes, reimburse people who buy things for us e.g. tickets to a show, misc. medical bills, etc. I looked and I write about 100 a year. I could probably get that down to 75 or so. Really it is more time consuming than expensive.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:17 am

My wife and I write about 85 checks a year to those who don't take credit cards or can't pay online which include my wife's hairdresser (about 52 hairdresser checks a year, by the way), garbage collector, most charities, property taxes, income taxes, service club dues.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:35 am

OMG, grocery store, out comes the 6% cash back AMEX Blue. If we assume the average purchase is made in the middle of a billing cycle there are two weeks remaining until you get billed and another 25 days until they debit your bank account on auto-pay.

I wrote a check last Wednesday. It was for the xmas tip pool for the condo's maintenance staff. I may have written one or two others during the course of the year, other than that I never pay by check. All my cc's are cash back so I never have a reason to pay by cash either except for a small purchase at a merchant that has a minimum we are not meeting. The only thing that comes to mind for that is the Chinese grocery store for small purchases my wife makes.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:39 am

We write very few checks and those are mainly for charities. Almost all bills are setup on autopay.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:45 am

I use online checks for paying mortgages. My wife pays handymen/cleaning services/pre-school/kids' dance classes via checks (as we had no choice)

Beyond that, if there's no convenience fee, it all goes on credit cards which get fully paid off within 1 week.
We then buy furniture and other things using points we accrue.

Why would you not use credit cards unless you don't trust yourself to pay it off on time? It's throwing free money away.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:59 am

Tax Man

Five checks written so far this year, one to Franchise Tax Board in Sacramento, four to IRS in San Francisco. One check pending for the quarterly 1040-ES payment to IRS in San Francisco prior to 01/15/2016, this one will go out next week, I like to have a zero balance by the end of the year. All my quarterly and annual taxes in April are paid by check, then I keep a pdf copy after the check is cleared by the credit union.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:56 am

I've written four checks this year: bought a used boat; tree removal service; pier installation; and bought a gently used new car. Two bills are on autopay with my bank. I charged everything else for air miles, which I generally use for upgrades.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:27 am

About 30 checks this year. Mostly to individuals and/or small companies that don't take credit cards.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:28 am

gvsucavie03 wrote:I write as few checks as possible... $35 for the last book of checks plus stamp/envelope if going through the mail. Cash or debit for me...
I used to order checks from my bank, and it sounds like you still do. I now order checks from WalMart. Where my bank charges around $30, the same order from Walmart online runs under $8.

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:49 am

I don't think I've ever used a check at the grocery store. I don't really mind people doing it, except for when they wait until the entire checkout process is complete, and then pull out the checkbook and start writing.

Back in 2011, I probably wrote 6-8 check per month. Since I moved over to a bank with free online bill pay, I'm probably down to 4-5 per year. I have an old-school veterinarian who comes by the house and isn't set up for remote credit card charges. That's 2-3 of them. My license plate renewals add a $5 convenience fee for renewing via credit card, so that's another check per year. The last 1-2 go to my house cleaner or my pet sitter. I pay them in cash most times, but occasionally I don't have the cash on hand or time to get by an ATM.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:50 am

neilpilot wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:I write as few checks as possible... $35 for the last book of checks plus stamp/envelope if going through the mail. Cash or debit for me...
I used to order checks from my bank, and it sounds like you still do. I now order checks from WalMart. Where my bank charges around $30, the same order from Walmart online runs under $8.
As a senior citizen I get them from my credit union for $0.00
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:22 pm

I still use checks sometimes. Examples when:

Paying property taxes. Have property in two different states. One doesn't accept credit cards and the other does but adds a surcharge.

Paying income taxes I owe in April.

Paying Penfed cc bill. I could link a bank account to it but haven't gotten around to doing that.

Paying certain utility bills. If I want to pay month to month there is a cc fee. It I sign up for auto paying no cc fee but I'd rather pay month to month.

Giving gifts around the holidays.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:46 pm

All of my expenditures are on automatic drive, including donations to my church (though they still pass the basket). DW still writes an occasional check when she is researching geneology stuff.

I think I still remember how to write a check but would not wish to be tested on that.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:58 pm

The title questions whether writing checks is a "Bogleheads thing" to do. Bogleheads are defined by their investing approach, i.e., using broad-based low-cost index funds such as those offered by Vanguard. Successful investing is contingent on having money to invest, and these money result from income exceeding spending. Thus, check-writing is prudent if it:
- psychologically constrains spending,
- reduces complexity thus leading to better decisions, and
- carries lower fees and precludes fines.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:17 pm

If I'm not home when the yard guy needs to be paid, I'll write a check and stick it under the doormat. If I'm home, though, he has a Square reader, so I pay with a card to get the cash back.

When I was moving and needed to sell a bunch of stuff, I got a Square reader so that I could take credit cards. It helped make the sale on a couple of items, because then people didn't have to go to the bank to get cash to pay me. Most of my customers were people that worked at the same megatech I work at, and a lot of them don't really do cash anymore, so nobody even questioned it.

I wrote a bunch of checks when I was first handling my dad's money, because he wasn't set up for anything else. As soon as I got control of the accounts, though, I set up online bill pay. I was getting writer's cramp from writing all the checks.

Gort

Post by Gort » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:26 pm

Dandy wrote:I write some checks - but not at the supermarket - I hate it when I have to wait for someone to get their checkbook out, write the check etc. I consider it being inconsiderate to those waiting behind. Of course when I pay using a credit card or a $20 bill instead of swiping a debit card those savvy people behind me are thinking the same of me. :happy

I don't use my debit card. I find it hard to eliminate checks completely. Use it for gifts e.g. my grandson is 5 today and we will give him some toy, a card with some one dollar bills and give his parents a check to use for him (clothes, college or Disney fund?). Pay misc. taxes, reimburse people who buy things for us e.g. tickets to a show, misc. medical bills, etc. I looked and I write about 100 a year. I could probably get that down to 75 or so. Really it is more time consuming than expensive.
I consider it a temporary nuisance but not so much inconsiderate.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:34 pm

I wrote no checks this year, and two last year. My check register shows calendars for 1996-1997-1998. I shudder when I think of all the postage, ink and stationery wasted, and rewards points foregone over the years.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:00 pm

I started using AMEX Serve this year, it allows me to have them write and mail the check. I use it for rent, for the most part, but sometimes I owe a friend for my part of a resto tab and I will SERVE her a check.

I use my AMEX card to transfer money (limited to $1000 a month) and get the 2% back.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:18 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
As a senior citizen I get them from my credit union for $0.00
I will definitely look into both of these options! :beer

Geologist

Post by Geologist » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:52 pm

I write a check when appropriate and use credit cards when appropriate. What this means is I am writing many fewer checks than I used to. As with others who have already posted, there are still some businesses or charities for whom checks are the only choice.

I can certainly also understand the studies that people will more readily spend with plastic than cash or checks.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:04 pm

We use checks to pay household bills and for groceries ($200 average each time). This way you actually see where the money goes, and are forced to balance the spending. With credit cards it is too easy to overspend, money seems to get siphoned off. I like to have control over finances.
My bank wanted $75 for checks, $20 only at Walmart.

In respect to holding up others in line when I write a check at a grocery store, there is little time spent writing a check, time is spent buying $200 worth of groceries, which take a while to read and bag. I only sign a plain paper check, and the time with the check is minuscule, similar to credit card. But many times the cashier does not enter the check correctly into the reading machine, which might damage the paper or not print on it, etc.
Last edited by likegarden on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

gardemanger

Post by gardemanger » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:12 pm

I used to have to write checks for the rent, but since I moved, the new landlord does auto-debit. I have no regularly recurring expenses left for which I must write a check. In the days long ago where I had to use checks, I sort of enjoyed the ritual of writing them and feel a tiny bit sentimental about it from time to time. However I feel much, MUCH more grateful for the convenience of being able to pay bills automatically and not have to do all that extra work and drag my carcass out to the mailbox and all the rest of it.

Since I have a medical condition that makes standing still for more than a couple of minutes very uncomfortable, I always train a gimlet eye on the people ahead of me checking out at the grocery store. I avoid the elderly, I freely admit it: they are the most likely to be elaborately writing a check and/or having a lengthy dispute about some pricing or coupon issue, and I don't want to be trapped in line behind that. I'm not judging, but my impatience has a real justification.

My mom (77) writes checks for her bills and such, although not any longer at the grocery store (she held out for a long time there, though). She even transfers money between accounts by writing and mailing checks. I know that in this very small dataset of one person, the reason is that she is not comfortable with changing the way she's "used to" doing things and doesn't trust the computer. Where older folks and/or people who aren't comfortable with money management are concerned (my mom fits in both categories), rational maximization of economic benefit is not nearly as strong a force as fear of the unknown.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:17 pm

livesoft wrote:Quite a number of families do not have credit cards. And many do not have checking accounts. But those who can write checks should be able to use a debit card. However, a debit card looks at one's checking account instantaneously to get the money. If there is no money in the checking account, then a check will still work in that instance. And yesterday was payday for many folks, so writing a check could save a $30 or more overdraft fee.
I've been there, done that. Years ago thank God. And yes, I had a few checks that bounced once upon a time.
:oops:
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

c078342

Post by c078342 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:54 pm

I write some checks - but not at the supermarket - I hate it when I have to wait for someone to get their checkbook out, write the check etc.
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I used to eat lunch in the company cafe and was really annoyed when somebody would wait until their lunch total was known BEFORE he would get out his wallet and start fishing out $$$$s. I always pretty much knew what my lunch would cost and had the money out in my pocket before I got in the checkout line. And these were engineers that presumably were more than comfortable with numbers. AS to writing checks, probably less than 15 a year now.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:19 pm

[quote="noraz123"]..... "Who still writes checks in this day and age?"

........ made me wonder why anyone would still do it. Then I thought that if I wrote a check, I would retain the funds longer in my account than if I had used my debit card .....[quote]

Don't have a debit card, don't want one. Apparently my bank (PNC) doesn't mind processing antiquated checks as we get unlimited free supplies of checks. I use the local supermarket, Acme, as the ATM terminal, as they let us write checks for up to $100 over purchase amount. So, whenever I need cash, this is the easiest way. However, there is no "float" on the check, Acme uses a system of instant (overnight) electronic debiting.

Yes, I try and be courteous to not hold up line by having everything filled out beforehand. So, al I have to do is fill in amount.

btw, isn't it more irritating to have the line held up by some fool who has either a credit or debit card declined (overlimit) ? I see that happening more and more in our area. :? :?

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:46 pm

noraz123 wrote: ...
Writing checks may slow unnecessary spending for the many reasons noted here, while credit cards may increase it. I have a debit card I use sparingly for convenience and mostly write checks. But whether I save money or not, I am a Boglehead, thus writing checks is a Bogleheads thing to do.
Last edited by Fallible on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:46 pm

OMG, grocery store, out comes the 6% cash back AMEX Blue.
+1

Regarding debit cards, (not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but) unlike with a credit card, if a debit card is stolen the perp can empty your bank account (if they have the PIN).

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:02 pm

1 check per year,property tax. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:10 pm

drawpoker wrote:....
Yes, I try and be courteous to not hold up line by having everything filled out beforehand. So, al I have to do is fill in amount.

btw, isn't it more irritating to have the line held up by some fool who has either a credit or debit card declined (overlimit) ? I see that happening more and more in our area. :? :?
When in lines, I also have checks ready to go with only the amount to fill in. And I've also been in lines held up when someone's card doesn't go through, although I've never wondered why the person doesn't just write a check. :happy
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:50 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:I wrote no checks this year, and two last year. My check register shows calendars for 1996-1997-1998. I shudder when I think of all the postage, ink and stationery wasted, and rewards points foregone over the years.
You have me beat. My register is for 2001-2002-2003. I write so few checks now that I will run out of deposit slips years before I run out of checks. And I'm not sure what I've used all those deposit slips for!

gardemanger

Post by gardemanger » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:53 pm

My bank doesn't require deposit slips for depositing checks at the ATM. Another outdated piece of paper to not have to hassle with.

(Technically, it doesn't even require going to the ATM, since I can deposit checks via app, but I've found the app to be unreliable.)

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:05 pm

We still write quite a few checks for the monthly bills at home. Hardly ever write a check at a retail store, we always use a credit card. The one exception is Costco....they don't take VISA, but I'm told that will change soon. We don't use a debit card.

Anyway, given writing and mailing a few checks is so little effort we are unlikely to change our routine.
JW
Retired at Last

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:01 am

c078342 wrote:
Dandy wrote:I hate it when I have to wait for someone to get their checkbook out, write the check etc.
This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I used to eat lunch in the company cafe and was really annoyed when somebody would wait until their lunch total was known BEFORE he would get out his wallet and start fishing out $$$$s. I always pretty much knew what my lunch would cost and had the money out in my pocket before I got in the checkout line. And these were engineers that presumably were more than comfortable with numbers. AS to writing checks, probably less than 15 a year now.
Once upon a time, Americans were socially adept and well mannered. When they came to a green grocer they congratulated Mr. Smith with his son's wedding, at a bakery they chatted with Mrs. Brown about her grandchildren, and at a butcher shop they lamented with Mr. Jones about hot weather. At a local diner they joked with a pretty waitress about her love life, and Melissa would blush and change the topic.

They took time to enjoy life and each other's company, even if they wrote checks.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:01 am

Cheyenne wrote:
+1

Regarding debit cards, (not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but) unlike with a credit card, if a debit card is stolen the perp can empty your bank account (if they have the PIN).
How does the perp get your pin??

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:04 am

Cash and checks can be very limiting, and to some extent, the debit card. I see this as a good, frugal thing. The cash back on credit cards has to come from somewhere...

lhl12

Post by lhl12 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:05 am

riley42 wrote:When I see a "convenience fee" attached to using my credit card online, I pull out the checkbook.
I do the same. However now that the rebate on my credit card is 2.625% (Bank of America Travel Rewards) it has become quite rare that the magnitude of any convenience fee is greater than the rebate. So, I even now use my credit card when there is a convenience fee so long as the rebate exceeds the convenience fee.

gd

Post by gd » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:21 am

Maybe they've had bad experiences with ATM and/or credit cards. Perhaps they find it easier or more prudent to manage their cash flow by using more thorough paper means. Write checks, go home, figure out that evening whether you need to transfer money into the checking account. I don't believe I or my spouse have ever used our ATM cards for a purchase. Credit or cash.

Why do people, say, drive antique cars? They find the old ways pleasing, or find new stuff upsetting or don't understand or trust it.

Maybe they like being perverse, or just being different.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:44 am

People with children at home write lots of checks -- dance classes, soccer leagues, swim club membership, etc, etc. Most of those activities are run by individuals/small companies who don't accept credit cards.

FreddieG

Post by FreddieG » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:48 am

The only checks that I regularly write are for kids' school fees (bus, lunch money, etc).

I could pay online by paying a "convenience fee". I'll be dipped in hot wax before I pay that fee.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:20 am

Cheyenne wrote:

+1

How does the perp get your pin??
Shoulder Surfing

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:44 am

is there an age issue? I dont know any young people writing checks in the supermarket, but plenty of older ones. Maybe this is a habitual issue rather than a monetary one.