Vanguard TurboTax - Not Available 2015?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
SpringMan

Re: Vanguard TurboTax - Not Available 2015?

Post by SpringMan »

TurboTax Deluxe desktop version is currently available at Sam's Club for $39 which is $20 off list price. Of course requires a Sam's Club membership. I plan to pick it up there.

Update: I stopped by Sam's Club to pick up a copy and the TurboTax sale begins Dec. 28th, next Monday. It was not a wasted trip because we did other shopping.
Last edited by SpringMan on Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Topic Author
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

Costco has a $20 off TurboTax coupon starting in January.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

rustymutt wrote:Confirmed, they won't be offering discounts on TT this year. 2015
These types of decisions often spread from one provider to another. Once the ice is broken, it opens the door for more lemming-like behavior, therefore we might expect tax filing subsidies to be reduced or disappear from many similar financial firms for 2015.

Consistent with normal marketing strategies, firms that cut back do it as quietly as possible as opposed to offering a new perk which is advertised front and center. I don't know why companies just don't make the cutback decision public once the decision is made so client's can just quickly move on. If a client has to spend time to research this, finds nothing, and then has to make a phone call or email to get a firm answer, the entire result is much more negative from a PR standpoint than if the announcement was made up front and the client could efficiently move on to the next option.

Many of us may be paying more to file our taxes this year. Maybe IRS fillable forms will be appropriate for more tax savvy people.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

pshonore wrote:
I thin you have to be a member of their secret club. Here's what Fido just told me In a live chat:
Me: What level of assets do I need to get free Turbo Tax?

Fido rep: Only certain clients get the free Turbo Tax deal, there is no specific threshold. However, all our clients do get the discount.

Me: Which clients?

Fido rep: It is based on their relationship with us here.

Me:: Can you be more specific?

Fido rep: Unfortunately, there are no exact details that I am aware of. However, everyone is eligible for the discount.

me: That's disappointing that there seem to be no guidelines. Have a good day.

Fido rep: I do apologize, I hope you have a lovely holiday! Can I help with anything else?
I'm not sure what to make of that.

After that exchange I have two thoughts.

1) You do not know the secret handshake and

2) ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySqec8WrEQQ

:D
canderson

Post by canderson »

Rob54keep wrote:Costco has a $20 off TurboTax coupon starting in January.
Not a Costco member but will have a friend buy a copy for me; where can I find this coupon for hm?
kazper

Post by kazper »

pshonore wrote:
tommoran2 wrote:When I asked my rep a week ago I was told the decision by VG had not been made yet.

If it is not offered -
GoodBye TT
Hello TaxAct
Note that Tax Act has evidently adopted the same business model that TT tried last year, which is basically different features and forms in different versions. I find that difficult to understand after all the grief TT got when they tried that last year.
I think you start by answering a few questions and it recommends a version. It always offers me the second highest tier, but I can get away with the third highest. The good news, they are always willing to upgrade you throughout if you feel the need.

Also, they offer lower prices for people who completed with tax act last year. I wasn't aware that the download version includes state for free. Might need to look into that possibility.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

canderson wrote:
Rob54keep wrote:Costco has a $20 off TurboTax coupon starting in January.
Not a Costco member but will have a friend buy a copy for me; where can I find this coupon for hm?
I believe that all discounts at Costco are automatically given at checkout. I know I haven't needed a physical coupon in well over a year.
Topic Author
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

You can check coupons at the below (under check warehouse coupons on their main page). My mistake...its only $10 and $15 off for Deluxe / Premier

http://www.costco.com/warehouse-coupon- ... ?langId=-1
canderson

Post by canderson »

Thank you both!
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

My questions is if you have been filing Turbo Tax through Vanguard in the past, if you now buy it at Costco, will your last years tax information show up on the Turbo Tax you buy from Costco. I am talking about all the automatic information and past information you have put on there, especially capital losses. Or will you have to re-enter all that information.
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

Robert44:

If your prior year tax return lives on your computer then a new install will pick it up and autofill applicable details.
I have no idea about the online versions of TT.
icefr

Post by icefr »

Rob54keep wrote:You can check coupons at the below (under check warehouse coupons on their main page). My mistake...its only $10 and $15 off for Deluxe / Premier

http://www.costco.com/warehouse-coupon- ... ?langId=-1
Thank you! With the coupons then it looks like it'll be cheaper than Amazon.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Robert44 wrote:My questions is if you have been filing Turbo Tax through Vanguard in the past, if you now buy it at Costco, will your last years tax information show up on the Turbo Tax you buy from Costco. I am talking about all the automatic information and past information you have put on there, especially capital losses.
Yes:
SittingOnTheFence wrote: If your prior year tax return lives on your computer then a new install will pick it up and autofill applicable details.
Yes, if you used the desktop version of TT (either from CD or download) purchased through Vanguard, an installation purchased from Costco or any other retailer, and installed on the same computer, will find your tax files from last tax year and import the relevant bits for the current tax year.
SittingOnTheFence wrote:I have no idea about the online versions of TT.
For the online version you get to your tax files by logging into your TT account. You access your account the same way regardless of where the online version is purchased from.

If you used an online version last year, and want to switch to the desktop version using a CD purchased from Costco, I think you can download your tax file from last year to import into the desktop version.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)
dydx

Post by dydx »

Amazon just dropped price of TurboTax Deluxe 2015 Federal + State to match Costco + $10 coupon.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

tfb wrote:TaxACT Plus (required for Schedules D and E but does not include Schedule C) download sells for $30. Those who need Schedule C will have to buy the Premium version at $40.
See https://www.taxact.com/. We have TaxAct Plus and it does include Schedule C.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

FiveK wrote:
tfb wrote:TaxACT Plus (required for Schedules D and E but does not include Schedule C) download sells for $30. Those who need Schedule C will have to buy the Premium version at $40.
See https://www.taxact.com/. We have TaxAct Plus and it does include Schedule C.
TaxAct's website say online and download version of "Plus" has Schedule C-EZ (but not the full blown Sched C). EZ is fine as long as you have less than 5K of business expenses, aren't claiming depreciation or business use of home or a net loss. Also no inventory or employees, etc.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

pshonore wrote:TaxAct's website say online and download version of "Plus" has Schedule C-EZ (but not the full blown Sched C). EZ is fine as long as you have less than 5K of business expenses, aren't claiming depreciation or business use of home or a net loss. Also no inventory or employees, etc.
All I can say is that I'm looking at our copy of TaxAct 2015 Plus and, in addition to Schedule C-EZ, it includes Schedule C.

All five parts, lines 1-48, the same as https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

That's good to know. Evidently, TaxAct's own website is incorrect.
PaFromFL

Post by PaFromFL »

I pre-ordered TaxAct Deluxe download for $9.99 last June. In November they upgraded me to Premium for free because of the version changes. I also received an H&R Block CD in the mail that advertised Deluxe+efile download for $9.99. Just to check my work and see if the offer was genuine, I bought it for $9.99 plus sales tax. I'll probably stay with TaxAct and/or H&R Block next year if they offer a useful Schedule C version for $15 or less. Living in Florida, I don't have to worry about state income taxes.
island

Re: Vanguard not offering Reduced price TurboTax anymore

Post by island »

livesoft wrote:Yep, just wait until Vanguard stops sending the free coffee mug to new Flagship customers.
Hey, I never got a free coffee cup. I feel so slighted. :D
Steven28

Post by Steven28 »

For Costco members the current sale on Turbotax is hard to beat. Even if you are not a member, just print out the website info for Turbotax and go to Staples. They price match Costco.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Steven28 wrote:For Costco members the current sale on Turbotax is hard to beat. Even if you are not a member, just print out the website info for Turbotax and go to Staples. They price match Costco.
What's the deal ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Found TurboTax at Sam's today with the same $10/$15 off sale as Costco if anyone is interested.
peteypoo

Post by peteypoo »

Amazon has the same price as Costco/Sam's if you elect to download it. This might be good for those without memberships. (Or are lazy) :happy
Steven28

Post by Steven28 »

At costco, Turbotax deluxe is $39.85 and Premier is $54.85. Both include state returns and efile.

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?sto ... d=turbotax

get a price match at staples or elsewhere
Jim85

TurboTax

Post by Jim85 »

Has Vanguard stopped providing free (or discounted) TT for customers this year ? While there is some TT info on the VG site, I don't see anything about a discount or free copy.
jambadoc

Re: TurboTax

Post by jambadoc »

That is correct to the best of my knowledge. They sent out a letter earlier this year explaining that he would still sell TurboTax but not at a discount.
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

It will be interesting to see what TT has in store for us this year, as far as making us upgrade to get the same features that came with a lower version last year. I think I will give it a little more time before I buy, so that I can see how they try to rip people off like they did last year!
Jim Profit

Post by Jim Profit »

fundseeker wrote:It will be interesting to see what TT has in store for us this year, as far as making us upgrade to get the same features that came with a lower version last year. I think I will give it a little more time before I buy, so that I can see how they try to rip people off like they did last year!
After 15 years with TurboTax, I decided not to stick around to see what scheme their marketing geniuses were inevitably going to come up with this year (or in the future) to extract more money from me, and will be using H&R Block for tax prep this year.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

I am using the Basic version of TurboTax. It has the same functionality (in terms of forms produced) that the higher versions have. It may not have the same "wizards" or "hand-holding" but it will produce the exact same forms.
John151

Post by John151 »

pshonore wrote:I am using the Basic version of TurboTax. It has the same functionality (in terms of forms produced) that the higher versions have. It may not have the same "wizards" or "hand-holding" but it will produce the exact same forms.
Will it e-file the forms as well, or would you have to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe if you want to file your forms electronically?
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

It will e-file (up to 5 returns).
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Long discussion here on this topic viewtopic.php?p=2703795
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged Jim85's thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JSDNJ

Post by JSDNJ »

What are we talking about here a few bucks? It's worth it for me to stick with TT just to keep it simple by importing all my previous info.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^When one considers that the non-TT software imports all the TT previous info, there is no point is using that as an excuse.

For me it would cost me $50 more to use TT because the vendor I chose will pay me to use their software with no extra hassles.

But the TT marketing folks seem to be banking on folks who believe it is difficult to switch (it is not) and that confused folks will buy a more costly version of TT than they actually need just out of confusion created by the TT folks. It may turn out to be a good marketing plan in the end.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

livesoft wrote:^When one considers that the non-TT software imports all the TT previous info, there is no point is using that as an excuse.

For me it would cost me $50 more to use TT because the vendor I chose will pay me to use their software with no extra hassles.

But the TT marketing folks seem to be banking on folks who believe it is difficult to switch (it is not) and that confused folks will buy a more costly version of TT than they actually need just out of confusion created by the TT folks. It may turn out to be a good marketing plan in the end.
If I have been using TT through Vanguard all these years, if I choose another vendor, my prior years tax information will or will not switch over?.
The way I look at it, if I have been using TT "through" Vanguard, I have to stay that way if I want to keep all my prior information.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

After using TT from VG for many years, I am switching to H&R Block this year. Bought the deluxe version with fed & state efiles for $15+tax through the CD ISO deal.
My signature has been deleted.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Robert44 wrote: If I have been using TT through Vanguard all these years, if I choose another vendor, my prior years tax information will or will not switch over?.
The way I look at it, if I have been using TT "through" Vanguard, I have to stay that way if I want to keep all my prior information.
Not so. There really is no "through Vanguard", other than the discount you got in the past. You can import prior year info into TT purchased from any source, and you can import it into other tax software, such as HRBlock. If you read this thread, you'll see that some of us have already done it.

I'm talking primarily about the desktop version. There may be an extra step to download your prior year data if you used TT online, but it should be doable.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)
Fat-Tailed Contagion

What is the aversion to the free TaxAct ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Right now there's a coupon for H&R Block at Newegg. Coupon code is EMCEFEL42. I ordered the Deluxe download including the state (although state e-filing is extra) for $22.50.

I've been using TT since 2006 and I'm tired of their ever-increasing rates! Apparently some people have success with importing prior year's data from the TT .tax file; I hope I'm one of the lucky ones. Even if I have to enter it myself, it's time for something new this year.

ETA: I successfully imported last year's TT file. It took about 10 seconds and all seems to be well.
Last edited by boglegirl on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:What is the aversion to the free TaxAct ?
Nothing if you're doing a 1040EZ or 1040A which is what Tax Act currently provides free of charge according to their website.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

tfb wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
sengsational wrote:2015 Block

It says $9.95 on the mailing folder. $14.95 if you want the state.

iso: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5wbK ... FJRLTc4NjQ
Which version is this?
All versions. You get the version you actually buy. Exit before you buy for another $5 off (only offered once). Final price is $9.95 + tax for deluxe+state. If you want Premium+State, click on Deluxe+State anyway, prepare to buy and get an offer to upgrade to Premium+State for only $5 more. That way you get Premium+State for $14.95 instead of $19.95.
Thanks tfb,

Is this version eligible for the +10% Refund Bonus?
pubman

Post by pubman »

Recently, I asked my Vanguard Relationship Consultant why "Vanguard is no longer offering discounts for TurboTax for their stockholders/investors, but Vanguard is still offering access to TurboTax via the Vanguard web site." For me the entire issue here is not money but principle since Costco and Amazon are offering the same packages for far less - and I am assuming they both are making some $ on these offerings.

She responded as follows:

"Turbo Tax sets the price for their tax filing programs. Vanguard is not offering Turbo Tax to its clients at any price

If a Vanguard client uses the link to reach Turbo Tax, they are moving out of vanguard.com and to the third party site. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page to let Vanguard clients know they are opening a new browser. The client will be dealing directly with Turbo Tax. Vanguard no longer offers discounts or complimentary Turbo Tax offerings to its clients."

--------------------------------------

I responded yesterday as follows (and am awaiting a response):

"1) Vanguard is without question still promoting TurboTax to its investors/stockholders by prominently saying “Save time with TurboTax” on the Vanguard site and,

2) Contrary to your comment, there is not a disclaimer mentioning that you are leaving the Vanguard site when you click on the red TurboTax rectangle on the right side. In fact, when you then visit the TurboTax page and then probe even deeper, you can still back out multiple layers and see that you are still logged in at the Vanguard site. In other words, when visiting TurboTax you have never left the Vanguard site.

If Vanguard is claiming that they are no longer promoting and are no longer having a financial relationship with TurboTax then in the best interests of us investors/stockholders, Vanguard must either remove the link encouraging us to go to TurboTax, or else provide links to all of the other tax preparation software.

It is clear to me that for some reason Vanguard is not being thoroughly transparent regarding their relationship with TurboTax."

-------------------------------------------

If you go to the Vanguard site and click on Taxes, and then TurboTax, you will see that Vanguard also prominently states "Using TurboTax can help you prepare and file your taxes in confidence".

Sounds like there is still some sort of relationship going on here.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

pubman wrote:Recently, I asked my Vanguard Relationship Consultant why "Vanguard is no longer offering discounts for TurboTax for their stockholders/investors, but Vanguard is still offering access to TurboTax via the Vanguard web site." For me the entire issue here is not money but principle since Costco and Amazon are offering the same packages for far less - and I am assuming they both are making some $ on these offerings.

"Turbo Tax sets the price for their tax filing programs. Vanguard is not offering Turbo Tax to its clients at any price

If a Vanguard client uses the link to reach Turbo Tax, they are moving out of vanguard.com and to the third party site. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page to let Vanguard clients know they are opening a new browser. The client will be dealing directly with Turbo Tax. Vanguard no longer offers discounts or complimentary Turbo Tax offerings to its clients."

"1) Vanguard is without question still promoting TurboTax to its investors/stockholders by prominently saying “Save time with TurboTax” on the Vanguard site and,

2) Contrary to your comment, there is not a disclaimer mentioning that you are leaving the Vanguard site when you click on the red TurboTax rectangle on the right side. In fact, when you then visit the TurboTax page and then probe even deeper, you can still back out multiple layers and see that you are still logged in at the Vanguard site. In other words, when visiting TurboTax you have never left the Vanguard site.

If Vanguard is claiming that they are no longer promoting and are no longer having a financial relationship with TurboTax then in the best interests of us investors/stockholders, Vanguard must either remove the link encouraging us to go to TurboTax, or else provide links to all of the other tax preparation software.

It is clear to me that for some reason Vanguard is not being thoroughly transparent regarding their relationship with TurboTax."

If you go to the Vanguard site and click on Taxes, and then TurboTax, you will see that Vanguard also prominently states "Using TurboTax can help you prepare and file your taxes in confidence".

+1, good work pubman.

I sense the same thing going on here.

Vanguard and TurboTax are making a nice chunk of money with this "adjustment" to their relationship.

It will be interesting to see what is really going on here.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
Vanguard and TurboTax are making a nice chunk of money with this "adjustment" to their relationship.
I hope Vanguard is and they keep my Er's low. :sharebeer
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

pubman wrote: 2) Contrary to your comment, there is not a disclaimer mentioning that you are leaving the Vanguard site when you click on the red TurboTax rectangle on the right side. In fact, when you then visit the TurboTax page and then probe even deeper, you can still back out multiple layers and see that you are still logged in at the Vanguard site. In other words, when visiting TurboTax you have never left the Vanguard site.
I have to disagree regarding your statement regarding leaving the site. When you visit the TTax page you are going to the TTax site and are no longer at the Vanguard site. Just because your browser has functionality that allows you to back up through your browing history does not mean you did not leave the site. Your browser is doing you a favor and remembering where you previously had been. In other words, when visiting TurboTax you did leave the Vanguard site.

When you logon to Vanguard a cookie is set in your browser and it expires based on certain conditions. One of those conditions is time related. If you click the link to TTax in Vanguard and spend, say, 15 minutes cruising around in the TTax site, when you "back out" to Vanguard and try to access personal info you will probably find that you need to logon because you left the site. I don't know if it is 15 min, it may be less, possibly even more than 15. But you did leave the site and when the Vanguard cookie expires you will be logged out.
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

I already bought TT, but saw an offer on Groupon for H&R Block Tax Software 2015 Premium + State for $32.50 that I wanted to let others know about.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-h-r-bl ... mium-state
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Ran into first issue with migrating from TT to HRBlock (deluxe, desktop download). The import of prior year Schedule E (real estate) related data resulted in HRBlock showing three identical properties instead of just the one property I own. It also showed three sets of the three depreciation schedules, so nine total (should be three). After deleting the two redundant properties, the six redundant depreciation schedules were still there, so had to delete those too.

It also required manually selecting the depreciation method, even though I could verify that the method was clearly specified in one of the depreciation worksheets (as viewed in HRBlock). The correct method was not selected by default.

Properly carrying over Schedule E depreciation is one of the things I was most concerned about. Going to have to check it out carefully I guess.

Another minor point is that there is no icon to automatically zoom from a form entry (in forms mode) to the supporting form (TT has a magnifying glass icon to do this). The functionality is there, but requires a right-click, and then selecting the appropriate option from the drop-down menu.

Kevin
pubman

Post by pubman »

pubman wrote:Recently, I asked my Vanguard Relationship Consultant why "Vanguard is no longer offering discounts for TurboTax for their stockholders/investors, but Vanguard is still offering access to TurboTax via the Vanguard web site." For me the entire issue here is not money but principle since Costco and Amazon are offering the same packages for far less - and I am assuming they both are making some $ on these offerings.

====================================================

Just heard back from my Vanguard rep, who said:

"The TurboTax Project team reviewed your commentary. Currently, Vanguard's relationship with TurboTax is contractually governed which includes web and text content on our site. Also, for this reason, we are not able to position other tax products on our site.

The team also confirmed the "disclaimer" at the very bottom of the page on vanguard.com that has the TurboTax red box link. As per the project team, the location of this information may need to be evaluated. It was mentioned that depending on your browser and settings, a client may not see this information. If you can not view the "disclaimer," please contact me and we can speak with our Web Technical Support team for assistance."

So, the facts are that Vanguard has a contract with TurboTax which offers TT to us at a price significantly higher that the cost for the same products via Amazon, Costco, etc. Further, this contract excludes all other tax prep software companies from being represented on the Vanguard web site. It therefore appears that Vanguard is profiting somehow from this exclusive arrangement at the expense of it's investors/stockholders. Considering the reverence that most of us feel for Vanguard, I find this very very surprising...and a bit disappointing.