Scheduling SS appointment for File and Suspend: 2 month wait

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Beck49

Scheduling SS appointment for File and Suspend: 2 month wait

Post by Beck49 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:54 pm

My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to still take advantage of the earlier File and Suspend strategy, if I F&S within the 6 month window. I finally got through today in order the schedule a phone appointment, and the earliest appointment was January 15th. I was stunned, and I think the SS rep was as well. I'm not sure if that just reflects my local office, but maybe a cautionary note if you were thinking about putting this off until the end of the 6 month window.

ResearchMed

Re: Scheduling SS appointment for File and Suspend: 2 month wait

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Beck49 wrote:My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to still take advantage of the earlier File and Suspend strategy, if I F&S within the 6 month window. I finally got through today in order the schedule a phone appointment, and the earliest appointment was January 15th. I was stunned, and I think the SS rep was as well. I'm not sure if that just reflects my local office, but maybe a cautionary note if you were thinking about putting this off until the end of the 6 month window.
This was about 2-3 years ago, but we each did this online, and not too much later, we each got a phone call from someone at SS.

What surprised (impressed) us the most was that they had already linked the two applications, and decided who would be handling both to make sure it was done the way we wanted.

It was pretty easy.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:16 pm

I/wife did the file/suspend and restricted application early last year. We also attempted to make an appointment and also faced a 2-month wait.

We decided to just go to the local office the next day (taking along a book to read) and sit there (hey, we're retired :D ) until called.

It turned out that we only waited about 45 minutes before being called and another 20 minutes to complete both applications.

The SS folks probably put the bulk of their staff on duty for the majority of folks that show up at the office, not those that can afford to wait until an appointment can be arranged for. Most of the folks we saw were those that were applying for SS cards, benefit letters, and disability benefits - not the kind of things that you can wait for.

FWIW,

- Ron

SGM

Post by SGM » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Last week I filled an online application and wrote that I wanted to file and suspend with the intention of taking SS at age 70 and that my spouse will claim a spousal benefit shortly at her FRA. I did not give them a routing number so that they could not accidently send me a direct deposit. In one week it was approved without any further details than the statement, "Your SS application was approved." I called SS and an agent returned my call within 20 minutes and told me that I successfully did file and suspend.

The agent could not make me an appointment on the day I wanted for the spousal benefit, but we will walk in at 8:30 am shortly before the 9am opening next week. We will be bringing driver's licenses, marriage license and a blank check for routing number for the restricted spousal application. I was told an officer would be there to tell us where to wait in line.

I am considering having DW fill out the information for the spousal online prior to going to the office.

Independent

Post by Independent » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:30 pm

We had a 2-3 month wait. I'm sure that my wife was more comfortable talking to someone face-to-face.

The wait was long enough that her first deposit came after the normal date. Not a big problem. Though, if I were to do it again I'd make the appt sooner.