FEHB January 1-10 insurance gap

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TaxExempt

FEHB January 1-10 insurance gap

Post by TaxExempt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:56 am

Hello,

I am a federal employee, and my spouse works in the private sector. In 2015 our family health insurance plan is through my spouse's workplace. For 2016 we are planning to switch to a plan available to me through the FEHB. My understanding is that the FEHB plan will be effective on January 10th, 2016. Our current plan ends December 31st, 2015. We don't want to be without coverage even for a single day, so any ideas about how to cover the gap?

Thanks!

mhalley

Re: FEHB January 1-10 insurance gap

Post by mhalley » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:02 am

There is such a thing as short term insurance. It is not as good as a regular insurance policy, but for temporary coverage it would be better than nothing. You can go to ehealthinsurance and put in your info and find a plan that might work for you.
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/st ... Code=25311
You can read up on the pros and cons of short term insurance here. Note that it won't cover pre-existing conditions.
http://obamacarefacts.com/insurance-exc ... insurance/
Another option is to just get health insurance through the exchange, and then cancel it after the first 2 weeks. This would be the best option if you have pre existing condiitons, maybe even the best option overall. https://www.healthcare.gov/reporting-ch ... ncel-plan/

Mike

Glomar

Post by Glomar » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:58 am

No need to worry - there will not be a gap if all you are already enrolled and are just changing plans. Your current plan will be in effect during that period. We have switched FEHB plans several times and they time it correctly so old plan ends one day and new plan starts up the next.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:41 am

Glomar wrote:No need to worry - there will not be a gap if all you are already enrolled and are just changing plans. Your current plan will be in effect during that period. We have switched FEHB plans several times and they time it correctly so old plan ends one day and new plan starts up the next.
That would be true if he /she was ALREADY in a FEHB plan but they are not.

My spouse is a retired Fed. He "thinks" (so verify this) that the plan would START Jan 1 but the deductions taken out of your pay won't start til the first pay period of 2016. However, check this info out as it could be wrong.

nyblitz

Post by nyblitz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:45 am

Can you still retro-actively use COBRA for such a short time? Not sure if that is still an option with PPACA.

TaxExempt

Post by TaxExempt » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:08 am

Thank you so much for all your replies.

I hadn't considered signing up on healthcare.gov and then cancelling after a couple of weeks. That may be the best option.

It would have been great if there was some FEHB provision that would enable me to start the plan on January 1, but I haven't found it yet.

Thanks again.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:02 pm

TaxExempt wrote:Thank you so much for all your replies.
I hadn't considered signing up on healthcare.gov and then cancelling after a couple of weeks. That may be the best option.
It would have been great if there was some FEHB provision that would enable me to start the plan on January 1, but I haven't found it yet.
Thanks again.
I have no knowledge of the details of FEHB coverage, but it seems very odd indeed that coverage would not, or could not start on January 1. There must be someone or some place you could check this out.

autolycus

Post by autolycus » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:28 pm

dm200 wrote:
TaxExempt wrote:Thank you so much for all your replies.
Thanks again.
I have no knowledge of the details of FEHB coverage, but it seems very odd indeed that coverage would not, or could not start on January 1. There must be someone or some place you could check this out.
OPM's website says this:
The effective date of the Open Season change is the first day of the first full pay period in January. For annuitants this date will always be January 1.

Based on the fact that every agency I've known has a Sun-Sat biweekly pay schedule, January 10 doesn't seem right, but perhaps the OP is on a less common pay schedule. The typical Sun-Sat schedule would mean coverage effective either 1/1 or 1/8, depending on which cycle it is.

vinnydabody

Post by vinnydabody » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:40 pm

autolycus wrote:OPM's website says this:
The effective date of the Open Season change is the first day of the first full pay period in January. For annuitants this date will always be January 1.

Based on the fact that every agency I've known has a Sun-Sat biweekly pay schedule, January 10 doesn't seem right, but perhaps the OP is on a less common pay schedule. The typical Sun-Sat schedule would mean coverage effective either 1/1 or 1/8, depending on which cycle it is.
January 3, 2016 is the first Sunday of the year. GSA Pay Period 1 starts on January 3; NFC Pay Period 1 starts on January 10. Sounds like the OP is on the NFC pay period calendar.

stepcray

Post by stepcray » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:57 am

I am in the exact same situation but hopefully it has been resolved. I just called the HR rep and she said FEHB insurance can start earlier because it is a qualifying life event. Even though my spouse is not losing his job (he is just dropping health insurance) - the effect is that I as the Federal employee am losing health insurance.You need to fill out SF 2809 and not enroll in FEHB through open season. For this year, the PP starts Dec 27, so that is when FEHB will kick in. good luck!

TaxExempt

Post by TaxExempt » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:19 pm

stepcray wrote:I am in the exact same situation but hopefully it has been resolved. I just called the HR rep and she said FEHB insurance can start earlier because it is a qualifying life event. Even though my spouse is not losing his job (he is just dropping health insurance) - the effect is that I as the Federal employee am losing health insurance.You need to fill out SF 2809 and not enroll in FEHB through open season. For this year, the PP starts Dec 27, so that is when FEHB will kick in. good luck!
Stepcray,

Thanks! Last year I did not sign with FEHB, but this year I will. I'll talk to our HR about form SF2809, so that I can avoid any gaps in coverage.