Amex Platinum $450/yr annual fee but 100,000 points

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Artsdoctor

Re: Amex Platinum $450/yr annual fee but 100,000 points

Postby Artsdoctor » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:10 am

^ I think that the number of caveats noted might be the key to interpreting the coverage.

Medical evacuation insurance is a bit tricky, because it all comes down to who is making the decisions. There will always be a bit of a conflict between the needs of the patient and the needs of the insurance company. If you've broken your hip in Rome, the insurance company may be very comfortable telling you that it's fine to have it fixed in Rome; however, you may feel differently. Some insurance companies will transfer you to a "center of excellence" (i.e., from Cambodia to Bangkok), whereas some will transfer you to the hospital of your choice.

AMEX may have become more flexible over the years, and that I cannot count on. But as I've posted, I've had a dozen Platinum card holders who had AMEX arrange for medical transportation back to LA but were given a bill that was substantial (it can cost about $80,000 to transfer from an Asian hospital to LA). I don't know the conversation that transpired between the patient (or family) and the AMEX doctor.

When you read the fine print, make sure you understand the difference between "may transfer you" and "will transfer you."

Exterous

Postby Exterous » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:59 am

Artsdoctor wrote:^ I think that the number of caveats noted might be the key to interpreting the coverage.

Medical evacuation insurance is a bit tricky, because it all comes down to who is making the decisions. There will always be a bit of a conflict between the needs of the patient and the needs of the insurance company. If you've broken your hip in Rome, the insurance company may be very comfortable telling you that it's fine to have it fixed in Rome; however, you may feel differently. Some insurance companies will transfer you to a "center of excellence" (i.e., from Cambodia to Bangkok), whereas some will transfer you to the hospital of your choice.

But as I've posted, I've had a dozen Platinum card holders who had AMEX arrange for medical transportation back to LA but were given a bill that was substantial (it can cost about $80,000 to transfer from an Asian hospital to LA). I don't know the conversation that transpired between the patient (or family) and the AMEX doctor.

The administrative coordinator
on staff will first ask the local medical service provider or facility to bill the Card Member’s
insurance company and, if the local medical service provider or facility is unwilling to do that,
will ask them to bill the Card Member directly, rather than requiring the Card Member to pay
on site.

I had a conversation with someone at Amex who seemed very knowledgeable about the process. I have health insurance that covers a small bit of evacuation so I was told they would be billed first and then I would submit the remainder to Amex for full reimbursement once I got the bill amount from my insurance company(Assuming I met the conditions like not traveling against physician orders, arranged through PGA etc). If I did not have health insurance that covered evacuation I would get a bill for the transportation but that I should submit that to Amex for full reimbursement. In the event that the Hospital\Transportation group does not bill without a guarantee advance then Amex will allow up to $5,000 to be advanced on the card for this purpose. So you seeing people billed for medical transportation falls in line with what I would expect in regards to how the process was explained to work

Medical transport and evacuation will be provided, at no cost, to the covered Card Member or
family member, to another, more appropriate medical facility, or from point of origin back to a
hospital near their home, when the covered Card Member or family member is under the care of
a local medical service provider or facility and when the PGA designated physician, in
consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, determines that such transport is
medically necessary and advisable due to inadequacy of local facilities. Eligibility for medical
transport is contingent upon the covered Card Member or family member not 1) traveling against
physician’s advice, 2) traveling with a pre-existing condition*, or 3) traveling to seek medical
treatment. Decisions made by the PGA-designated physician and the local medical service
provider as to 1) the medical need for evacuation, transportation and/or repatriation services, 2)
the means and/or timing of any transportation, medical equipment and supplies and medical
personnel to be used in connection therewith and 3) the selection of the Card Member’s final
destination, are medical decisions based on medical factors, and as such, are beyond the control
of the PGA Program and shall be conclusive in determining the need for such services.

As noted previously I understand that a company like MedJet Assist will let me choose where and when I am moved but for us being in our mid-30s and healthy we are comfortable with the level of service the card offers - although I do carry extra insurance when diving

LouLou90

Postby LouLou90 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:12 pm

All my buddies are getting this card. You can waive the fee $450/ year if active duty. One of my friends created an excellent list of all the perks here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tIBwANMKdy47ChVQht8LSrjDKC7PknquXgn7F03VQ14/edit?usp=sharing

Artsdoctor

Postby Artsdoctor » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Exterous wrote:
Artsdoctor wrote:^ I think that the number of caveats noted might be the key to interpreting the coverage.

But as I've posted, I've had a dozen Platinum card holders who had AMEX arrange for medical transportation back to LA but were given a bill that was substantial (it can cost about $80,000 to transfer from an Asian hospital to LA). I don't know the conversation that transpired between the patient (or family) and the AMEX doctor.

The administrative coordinator
on staff will first ask the local medical service provider or facility to bill the Card Member’s
insurance company and, if the local medical service provider or facility is unwilling to do that,
will ask them to bill the Card Member directly, rather than requiring the Card Member to pay
on site.

I had a conversation with someone at Amex who seemed very knowledgeable about the process. I have health insurance that covers a small bit of evacuation so I was told they would be billed first and then I would submit the remainder to Amex for full reimbursement once I got the bill amount from my insurance company(Assuming I met the conditions like not traveling against physician orders, arranged through PGA etc). If I did not have health insurance that covered evacuation I would get a bill for the transportation but that I should submit that to Amex for full reimbursement. In the event that the Hospital\Transportation group does not bill without a guarantee advance then Amex will allow up to $5,000 to be advanced on the card for this purpose. So you seeing people billed for medical transportation falls in line with what I would expect in regards to how the process was explained to work

Medical transport and evacuation will be provided, at no cost, to the covered Card Member or
family member, to another, more appropriate medical facility, or from point of origin back to a
hospital near their home, when the covered Card Member or family member is under the care of
a local medical service provider or facility and when the PGA designated physician, in
consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, determines that such transport is
medically necessary and advisable due to inadequacy of local facilities. Eligibility for medical
transport is contingent upon the covered Card Member or family member not 1) traveling against
physician’s advice, 2) traveling with a pre-existing condition*, or 3) traveling to seek medical
treatment. Decisions made by the PGA-designated physician and the local medical service
provider as to 1) the medical need for evacuation, transportation and/or repatriation services, 2)
the means and/or timing of any transportation, medical equipment and supplies and medical
personnel to be used in connection therewith and 3) the selection of the Card Member’s final
destination, are medical decisions based on medical factors, and as such, are beyond the control
of the PGA Program and shall be conclusive in determining the need for such services.

As noted previously I understand that a company like MedJet Assist will let me choose where and when I am moved but for us being in our mid-30s and healthy we are comfortable with the level of service the card offers - although I do carry extra insurance when diving

Ex,

It's understandable that you'd think your age is in your favor and that your risks are low enough that you'd most likely not need evacuation insurance. You should know that the majority of those patients I described earlier were under 45: they had injuries such as broken bones. Studies show that people will often take risks while away from home that they normally wouldn't take. It was the traumatic injuries that prompted me to get evacuation insurance for my family, not the heart attacks or strokes.

Perhaps AMEX has become more generous--I honestly can't say. Every single patient of mine in the past had to pay for their own bills after AMEX arranged evacuation. There was no reimbursement. But in the interest of full disclosure, this was between 1997 and 2010 or so.

Also full disclosure, I have personally called several companies in the past to review evacuation policies because my patients request recommendations. No company is perfect all the time, but the companies that specialize in travel evacuation have a different focus, and in my opinion, a more realistic focus, than those that don't.

G-Force

Postby G-Force » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 pm

The platinum card's annual fee will be increasing to $550/year for new accounts starting on March 30. If you already have the card, your annual fee will not increase until after September 1. There are some new benefits to offset the annual fee increase including $200 of annual uber credits (given monthly), priority pass guest access (not mentioned in the press release), and a swanky new metal card design. Other new benefits are detailed here:

http://about.americanexpress.com/news/p ... -card.aspx

j0nnyg1984

Postby j0nnyg1984 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 pm

I can't believe that their current signup offer is a piddly 40k points. What idiot would sign up for the card knowing that they run the 100k deal?

I want the card because I need the points transferred to Delta for a winter vacation, but 40k is useless, and also nowhere near enough value for a $450 AF.

jdb

Postby jdb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 pm

j0nnyg1984 wrote:I can't believe that their current signup offer is a piddly 40k points. What idiot would sign up for the card knowing that they run the 100k deal?

I want the card because I need the points transferred to Delta for a winter vacation, but 40k is useless, and also nowhere near enough value for a $450 AF.

This is certainly an example of a long dormant topic being resurrected. In response only want to say that us
idiots who have Amex Platinum, in our case now more than 20 years, are probably more interested in features other than airline mileage credits. In our case we appreciate the world class concierge service to get tickets for venues like Hamilton theatre tickets and reservations at upscale hotels and restaurants. The Centurion Lounges at airports also very nice.

Jags4186

Postby Jags4186 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm

jdb wrote:
j0nnyg1984 wrote:I can't believe that their current signup offer is a piddly 40k points. What idiot would sign up for the card knowing that they run the 100k deal?

This is certainly an example of a long dormant topic being resurrected. In response only want to say that us
idiots who have Amex Platinum, in our case now more than 20 years, are probably more interested in features other than airline mileage credits. In our case we appreciate the world class concierge service to get tickets for venues like Hamilton theatre tickets and reservations at upscale hotels and restaurants. The Centurion Lounges at airports also very nice.

Maybe at one time it was world class, but today it's just another premium card. Centurion Lounges may be very nice, but there are what, 6 of them? If you don't fly out of those airports it's worthless.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”