Amex Platinum $450/yr annual fee but 100,000 points

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
davidsorensen32

Amex Platinum $450/yr annual fee but 100,000 points

Postby davidsorensen32 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Does anyone have any experience using this card ? Can we use the points to book travel for any airlines like the Chase Sapphire ? How good is this card when compared to the CSP ? There are certain privileges like the airport lounges but I'm not a very frequent traveller (maybe once every couple months) so I'm not sure if it would be useful. I don't intend to have the card beyond 11 months, so my main question is that are the points/miles as high quality and as flexible/easy to use as the CSP points ?

Exterous

Re: Amex Platinum $450/yr annual fee but 100,000 points

Postby Exterous » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:32 pm

I've had this card for a few years now. You can use the points to book travel through their website although the better values can typically be had by transferring the rewards to their program participants. Personally I don't find their partners as good as Chase and I think that seems to be the general consensus but it does somewhat depend on where you want to go and where you live. That said there are certainly options to be had with their partners and they occasionally run transfer bonuses. Given that you should also be able to get the Global Entry credit, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, $200 in airline credits to use towards ancillary charges this calendar year and next (or gift cards if used properly) in addition to the 100k points its a pretty good deal for the first year.

I did choose to keep the card after the first year for the following three reasons:
1. Access to the Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Varries by location but there are plenty of times we've gotten hotel rooms at very nice hotels for ~$200 that includes a free upgrade, free breakfast and $100 towards dinner (A few examples: Westbury Dublin, The Wilalrd Washington DC, Hyatt Atlanta, Hyatt Melbourne, W New Orleans)
2. $200 annual airline credit
3. Medical evacuation coverage while traveling for you and your immediate family. Not quite as good as Medjet assist but appears to be a good plan and, after the fee credit and FHR benefits I am not paying too much more (if any) for this coverage

Biggest thing I don't like about the card: Still having to deal with the automated menus. Seems like if Chase can get me a live person immediately for $95/yr then Amex should be able to do it for $450/yr

LifeIsGood

Postby LifeIsGood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:59 am

Unfortunately this appears to be a targeted offer. I tried a couple of times in Incognito mode and was only offered 40K points.

William Million

Postby William Million » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 am

If you can get the 100k offer, it's a no-brainer and worth the $450.

takeshi

Postby takeshi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:49 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote:Does anyone have any experience using this card ?

Experience isn't what really matters. For any points/miles program you need to look at redemptions to determine what value you can get per point. For programs like Membership Rewards and Ultimate Rewards the best point value is generally attained by transferring to travel partners so you'll need to look at redemptions for those companies as well and consider any applicable fees.

davidsorensen32 wrote:How good is this card when compared to the CSP ?

Keep in mind that "good" is always highly subjective. It is not just a matter of the card. Again, it's about how you can leverage the redemption options. For example, I can get about 0.6 to 0.8 cents per point because of the options I can use with Membership Rewards. I can get much better per point with Ultimate Rewards and that's why I have the CSP and I don't have any MR cards. However, I live in a United fortress hub city so I'm always traveling on United. With United as a UR transfer partner and not an option with MR it's fairly straightforward for me. YMMV so definitely do your due diligence.

However, even at the worst redemption rate of 0.6 cents/MR point, 100,000 MR points is still $600 if my math isn't off (definitely double check it yourself).

Exterous wrote:$200 annual airline credit

To the OP: definitely read up about this on FlyerTalk to see if you can make full use of it. It can be very easy with some airlines.

You also get a credit against the fee for Global Entry every 5 years. GE includes TSA Precheck.

Coato

Postby Coato » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:51 pm

As long as those 11 months span two calendar years you can get $200 in airline gift cards (make sure they are a week apart and $50 at a time) times two it is worth it.

It doesn't earn points as fast as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, but there are a few things I like about it: Travel insurance and road side assistance. 4 tows a year under 10 miles covers our needs and allows us to not carry AAA.

I find their lounge network worthless. The Citi card at the same level allows you to bring 2 guests in with you and Amex 0.

Good card but only perfect if you travel alone on Delta a lot.

mudfud

Postby mudfud » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 pm

I got this offer as well. Most of the benefits of this card are not worth much to me, but I'm still thinking of taking this offer.

Membership rewards don't have the flexibility of Ultimate Rewards/CSP, but I figure that a baseline value for 100,000 MR points is $600 (apply to charges). I can use MR on Amazon for the equivalent of $700 (not sure if I can buy Amazon gift cards with MR). There are lots of gift cards at a value of $1000, but I don't use any of those.

The best value appears to be transfers to airline partners. Again, not as good as CSP, but I can get 80,000 British Airways Avios Miles for 100,000 MR.

Mud
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image

FlamingoTime

Postby FlamingoTime » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:05 am

If you cruise, you get up to $300 onboard credit, dinner for two and wine. That made the cost worth having, along with the $200 misc. airline credit and the airport lounge access. Downgraded now that we are retired, so miss those benefits.

slbnoob

Postby slbnoob » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:42 am

takeshi wrote:For example, I can get about 0.6 to 0.8 cents per point because of the options I can use with Membership Rewards. I can get much better per point with Ultimate Rewards and that's why I have the CSP and I don't have any MR cards. However, I live in a United fortress hub city so I'm always traveling on United. With United as a UR transfer partner and not an option with MR it's fairly straightforward for me. YMMV so definitely do your due diligence.

Just curious why you don't transfer the MR to ANA and then use that to book UA (or other *A partners) for pretty much the same miles and no extra fees?

Jags4186

Postby Jags4186 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:50 am

100,000 points is worth 2 round trip coach tickets to Europe on Air France or KLM.

TareNeko

Postby TareNeko » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:00 am

mudfud wrote:The best value appears to be transfers to airline partners. Again, not as good as CSP, but I can get 80,000 British Airways Avios Miles for 100,000 MR.

Mud

You can transfer to Delta 1:1. Though there's a $60 tax for transferring 100k points. In anyways, with 100k points, depending on time of the year, you can get more than 1cent/mile worth of value.

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Postby Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:08 am

William Million wrote:If you can get the 100k offer, it's a no-brainer and worth the $450.

Can you cancel in month 11 and not get charged $450 for Year 2 ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

davidsorensen32

Postby davidsorensen32 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:43 am

Wow ! AirFrance and KLM are not even partners of CSP. I've used CSP extensively over the last couple years but I've never had deals like these

Jags4186 wrote:100,000 points is worth 2 round trip coach tickets to Europe on Air France or KLM.

davidsorensen32

Postby davidsorensen32 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:44 am

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:
William Million wrote:If you can get the 100k offer, it's a no-brainer and worth the $450.

Can you cancel in month 11 and not get charged $450 for Year 2 ?

Actually I think the $450 is charged up front. So you'll have the balance $550 to spend
Last edited by davidsorensen32 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidsorensen32

Postby davidsorensen32 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:50 am

Your post got me thinking. So I've been using the CSP over the last couple years and I've booked travel through ultimaterewards.COM and they gave me a 20% bonus over my accrued points. I took that to be about 1.2 cents for every point. But it seems (?????) to me some airlines have even much more generous transfer from points towards Miles. Should have done my research and then transferred the points directly to the airlines frequent flyer programs instead of booking through ultimaterewards.com. Oh well live and learn.

TareNeko wrote:
mudfud wrote:The best value appears to be transfers to airline partners. Again, not as good as CSP, but I can get 80,000 British Airways Avios Miles for 100,000 MR.

Mud

You can transfer to Delta 1:1. Though there's a $60 tax for transferring 100k points. In anyways, with 100k points, depending on time of the year, you can get more than 1cent/mile worth of value.

Jags4186

Postby Jags4186 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:15 pm

davidsorensen32 wrote:Your post got me thinking. So I've been using the CSP over the last couple years and I've booked travel through ultimaterewards.COM and they gave me a 20% bonus over my accrued points. I took that to be about 1.2 cents for every point. But it seems (?????) to me some airlines have even much more generous transfer from points towards Miles. Should have done my research and then transferred the points directly to the airlines frequent flyer programs instead of booking through ultimaterewards.com. Oh well live and learn.

TareNeko wrote:

Mud

I get flamed on various boards a lot for this, but I think the CSP is one of the most overrated cards on the market. It's so heavily advertised because Chase pays hefty commissions to bloggers for signing people up. Also, I believe Chase bought thepointsguy.com which is one of the biggest points/travel blogs hence his constant hawking of this card.

CSP IMO has 2 valuable transfer partners that AMEX doesn't have: United and Hyatt. Marriott and Ritz Carlton--you might as well be throwing money down the toilet you need so many points for a redemption. Other airline options AMEX is on equal/better footing IMO.

United can be booked with AMEX points through either Aeroplan or through ANA. Hyatt is your only loss. I find Hyatt redemptions, while great for hotel redemptions, still less valuable than airline redemptions--so I choose not to use those points for that. To me, I'd rather book through hotels.com and a portal to get 15%+ cash back. YMMV on that front.

ANYWAY back to the AMEX Platinum offer, if you get the card before the end of the year you can use your $200 rebate before December 31, and again after January 1 to collect $400 offsetting all but $50 of the annual fee (you could buy Amazon gift cards through the United Mall, for example, and trigger the rebate). Plus the 100,000 points makes this offer a complete no brainer. I would still cancel the card after year one though as some of the "luxury" features of the card are wasted on someone like me. I look for value travel, and since this card has horrible options for earning points (look at the Amex Everyday Preferred card to super charge your MR earnings) it's not worth keeping past year 1.

mudfud

Postby mudfud » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Jags4186 wrote:CSP IMO has 2 valuable transfer partners that AMEX doesn't have: United and Hyatt. Marriott and Ritz Carlton--you might as well be throwing money down the toilet you need so many points for a redemption. Other airline options AMEX is on equal/better footing IMO.

United can be booked with AMEX points through either Aeroplan or through ANA. Hyatt is your only loss. I find Hyatt redemptions, while great for hotel redemptions, still less valuable than airline redemptions--so I choose not to use those points for that. To me, I'd rather book through hotels.com and a portal to get 15%+ cash back. YMMV on that front.

Good analysis. A couple of places where CSP is useful is direct transfer to Southwest (1:1). With MR, transfers to SW are only possible indirectly with a loss of valuation. Another use is to couple with Chase Freedom, earn 5% (for example, Amazon this quarter), then transfer instantaneously to CSP, and onto mileage plans (can't transfer directly from Freedom to airlines).

All that said, I will go for the 100,000 MR offer. Avios works best for me at 7500 miles one-way domestic for my preferred destination (Avios was even better at 4500 for short-haul, but that's gone). So at least 5 round trips. If I can figure out how to get $400 in airline rebates, even better.

Mud
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | | | Image

Jags4186

Postby Jags4186 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:51 pm

mudfud wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:Good analysis. A couple of places where CSP is useful is direct transfer to Southwest (1:1). With MR, transfers to SW are only possible indirectly with a loss of valuation. Another use is to couple with Chase Freedom, earn 5% (for example, Amazon this quarter), then transfer instantaneously to CSP, and onto mileage plans (can't transfer directly from Freedom to airlines).
Mud

Very true about Chase Freedom/CSP combo--however I find the Amex EDP to be by itself as good as the Freedom/CSP combo. As always, YMMV :D

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Postby Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:06 pm

ANYWAY back to the AMEX Platinum offer, if you get the card before the end of the year you can use your $200 rebate before December 31, and again after January 1 to collect $400 offsetting all but $50 of the annual fee (you could buy Amazon gift cards through the United Mall, for example, and trigger the rebate). Plus the 100,000 points makes this offer a complete no brainer. I would still cancel the card after year one though as some of the "luxury" features of the card are wasted on someone like me. I look for value travel, and since this card has horrible options for earning points (look at the Amex Everyday Preferred card to super charge your MR earnings) it's not worth keeping past year 1.

Can you elaborate on how to use United Mall to trigger rebate (assuming its the $200 one used each year) ?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Jags4186

Postby Jags4186 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Can you elaborate on how to use United Mall to trigger rebate (assuming its the $200 one used each year) ?

Sure. I've copied this directly from the Flyertalk Wiki. Just make sure to set up United as your preferred airline before you go through the process:

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So:

1) Log into united.com
2) Set up a gift registry for yourself
3) Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
4) Log out of united.com
5) Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
6) Contribute using your Amex platinum card

EnjoyIt

Postby EnjoyIt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:54 pm

My girl keeps getting the offer, but has no interest in another card. I wish they would send me one :( I would jump on it without hesitation.

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Postby Fat-Tailed Contagion » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Jags4186 wrote:

Sure. I've copied this directly from the Flyertalk Wiki. Just make sure to set up United as your preferred airline before you go through the process:

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So:

1) Log into united.com
3) Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
4) Log out of united.com

Thanks,

So if I get the card now I can buy $200 of Amazon Gift Cards for free this year and next by using the Amex card in this way ?

And then I will have 100,000 miles to use which will effectively "cost" $50 ?

Then cancel before 2nd year kicks in another $450 fee ?

A Tortoise

Postby A Tortoise » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:25 am

For everyday spend the platinum card is not very good. We live near Detroit which is a Delta hub so membership reward points are our favorite. We used 100k sky miles for 2 tickets to Switzerland in January so for us the $450 annual fee was a great deal.

dbr

Postby dbr » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:49 am

I agree the offer is a no-brainer if you are familiar with how to use the points to advantage, a whole art in and of itself.

My read is that the offer is gone and has been for some time. There are websites that discuss this stuff in excrutiating detail.

davidsorensen32

Postby davidsorensen32 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:14 am

Awesome. No fuel surcharges ? Did you try pricing the tickets during summer months ?

A Tortoise wrote:For everyday spend the platinum card is not very good. We live near Detroit which is a Delta hub so membership reward points are our favorite. We used 100k sky miles for 2 tickets to Switzerland in January so for us the $450 annual fee was a great deal.

dbr

Postby dbr » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:07 pm

I recommend further reading here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/

and for using Delta Skymiles here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-ai ... miles-665/

You can find more info about AMEX cards here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american ... wards-410/

Exterous

Postby Exterous » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Jags4186 wrote:I get flamed on various boards a lot for this, but I think the CSP is one of the most overrated cards on the market. It's so heavily advertised because Chase pays hefty commissions to bloggers for signing people up.

I think part of the hype came about when Chase first started the program. They were very aggressive with their signup offers. Both my wife and I got it pretty early on with their 100,000 point signups. Their phone customer service set a new standard for credit cards for a lot of people and they had a lot of new great benefits. They brought all of this to a market that really only had Amex as a major player in the transferable points game and had largely stagnated. They have reduced their benefits slowly over the years but they still generally offer a better option than Amex (IMO) now that Amex has started their 'once a lifetime' sign up bonus policy (although it remains to be seen how strict they are). That means the UR earning potential is still quite far ahead of MR.

There is another benefit to the CSP that Amex doesn't have that can be huge depending on the person. Their included card insurance covers travel partially paid for with the card. I do not believe any other credit card (Other than an obscure Chase Presidential or some such card) offers this. (All the fine print I have ever read specifically states something along the lines of 'The trip must be paid for entirely with this credit card' and then calls out exclusions for trips paid for with miles) For us those coverage reimbursements have offset that last 3 years of annual fees and will continue to do so for the next 4 years from what we were covered for on flights where we only paid the taxes and fees with the card

I am also glad to see Citi upping their game with their Thank you rewards. Thats also not to say that some people don't over advertise the card :)

jdb

Postby jdb » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:05 pm

Just used the Centurion Club at Miami International for first time, much better than the American Airlines Admiral Club there, which is undergoing construction. We have had the platinum card for many years, but not for mileage credit purposes, it is our fall back card when travelling and our Visa or MasterCard not honored (happens too often), never had problem with Amex.

Scamp

Postby Scamp » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Here is our experience with the Amex Platinum 100,000 miles offer. My wife got targeted and we went for it because the web consensus seemed to be it's a no brainer. Now I'm slightly less enthused but it's ok. I have learned some things.

1) We set up United as the preferred airline and purchased 4x $50 gift cards. Research suggested $50 cards look more like baggage fees but other have said that $100 gift cards work fine. We got reimbursed immediately so thats good. We did this 11 months apart so we ended up with 8x $50 cards. We later came to find out you can only one card per flight purchase transaction. So to get them used up we did some complex booking of 6 multiple individual one way flights. PIA.

2) Research suggested you only get one Global Entry reimbursement ($100) per card, so I also got a card for another $175. Figuring that $100 gets covered and the card really costs me $75. We then applied for 3 Global Entries to cover the family. Low and behold they reimbursed all 3! No idea weather this would have happened without the second card.

3) We then went to cancel the card after receiving the second round of United gift cards and the rep very quickly offered to reimburse $400 of the $450 fee for the second year, so we said... ok one more year. In anticipation of canceling we transferred the miles to British Airlines AVIOS because we could book United and this is most useful for us.

4) As for the 100,000 points I'm less convinced these are really useful for the way we travel. I'm still learn how to maximize the benefit of Amex miles but I think there were better in the past when their were more partners and better milage charts. My take id that if you want to use the miles to book one really nice Business/First class ticket or upgrade and you value this at thousands of dollars you are probably very happy with the card. But I travel with the family and find Biz class tickets ridiculously expensive. Trying to use the tickets to subsidize getting us to Europe or Asia, taking into account low award availability, taxes and fuel surcharges and milage devaluations and I'm less convinced.

5) there is also lounge access but these aren't available where we travel and I try to fly direct or short layovers so it doesn't help me.

So 100k miles aside we paid $675 ($450 annual + $175 2nd card+ $450 2nd annual - $400 2nd annual reduction) to date and received $700 in benefits ($200 Gift cards + $200 gift cards + $300 Global entry). I guess that's pretty fair but I think we'll cancel next year because I don't see them comping the annual fee again.

mediahound

Postby mediahound » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:47 pm

My targeted offer was for 50,000 points. I took it even at that, mostly because I just always wanted to try this card. I don't even travel all that much but it should pay for itself the first year if I use the points to book one or 2 flights in the first year.

I was also going to get Global Entry anyway so will use this card for that and get it reimbursed.

badger42

Postby badger42 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:58 pm

There are quite a few redemption paths that get you a penny a point.

We use MR points to buy shoes, because Zappos gift cards redeem at 10k points per $100. There are quite a few similar offers, but be sure to know your spending habits and patterns!

mediahound

Postby mediahound » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:10 am

Jags4186 wrote:

1) Log into united.com
4) Log out of united.com

I don't understand this. When you contribute to your own gift registry, what do you get? Does United.com sell Amazon gift cards?

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:22 am

My husband, who has no income, but many joint credit accounts with me, received this offer as well, and a few others similar ones from Citi.

This must be because I opted out of receiving targeted marketing offers with essentially every bank and credit bureau in existence.
Frankly, the idea of paying a $450 fee does not appeal to me, not even once. I'm not sure of the tax status of the 100,000 points. But it seems like a lot of work and a lot of hoops to get through to actually make use of the benefits. Even if had received the offer, I would pass.

mediahound

Postby mediahound » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:20 am

madbrain wrote:My husband, who has no income, but many joint credit accounts with me, received this offer as well, and a few others similar ones from Citi.

This must be because I opted out of receiving targeted marketing offers with essentially every bank and credit bureau in existence.
Frankly, the idea of paying a $450 fee does not appeal to me, not even once. I'm not sure of the tax status of the 100,000 points. But it seems like a lot of work and a lot of hoops to get through to actually make use of the benefits. Even if had received the offer, I would pass.

You definitely have to be willing to take advantage of the offerings, and sorta make it a hobby, otherwise it's not worth it.

The first year benefits can more than pay for the annual fee. For example, if you get the card late in the year, you can claim the $200 'airline fee' credits (ideally towards Amazon gift cards) twice, once before the year is up and then once again come January. Also use it towards the $100 Global Entry application (which is good for five years) reimbursement and you've already got $500 back out of the card (in addition to all of the other benefits it provides such as the initial granted points towards flights, the airport lounges, etc...)

I'm sure there are a lot of consumers who hold this card year after year and just pay the annual fee without even using much of the benefits, which is where AMEX makes money. I also think it's a bit of a status symbol, like it or not, it's not something I particularly agree with, but I bet a lot of people also keep this card for that reason.

dbr

Postby dbr » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:11 am

mediahound wrote:You definitely have to be willing to take advantage of the offerings, and sorta make it a hobby, otherwise it's not worth it.

It is an interesting exercise to track the net of fees and other costs to use miles against what would otherwise have been paid for tickets. Ancillary benefits as mentioned above also have to be accounted. In some instances the computation is ambiguous as in the value of getting a business class ticket that one would never have actually bought for cash. There is also a calculation to be made of preferring a cash back card to a points card for airlines or hotels.

The fact that it is a hobby is right on as one really has to know the ins and outs of booking and using award flights or hotel nights.

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:16 am

mediahound wrote:The first year benefits can more than pay for the annual fee. For example, if you get the card late in the year, you can claim the $200 'airline fee' credits (ideally towards Amazon gift cards) twice, once before the year is up and then once again come January. Also use it towards the $100 Global Entry application (which is good for five years) reimbursement and you've already got $500 back out of the card (in addition to all of the other benefits it provides such as the initial granted points towards flights, the airport lounges, etc...)

An Amazon gift card is not as good as cash. You can't use those gift cards to pay the $450 annual fee. And I have no interest in paying Global entry to get a background check done, so this particular benefit doesn't have any value to me.

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:22 am

dbr wrote:It is an interesting exercise to track the net of fees and other costs to use miles against what would otherwise have been paid for tickets. Ancillary benefits as mentioned above also have to be accounted. In some instances the computation is ambiguous as in the value of getting a business class ticket that one would never have actually bought for cash. There is also a calculation to be made of preferring a cash back card to a points card for airlines or hotels.

The fact that it is a hobby is right on as one really has to know the ins and outs of booking and using award flights or hotel nights.

Indeed. I have never paid for a business or first class ticket and never would. I have been burnt with a United frequent flyer mile card. By the time I had enough miles saved for a roundtrip to Paris, the United nonstop flight to Paris no longer existed. And the flight with a connection had severely restricted dates for award travel. I canceled my United credit card after that.

The value of the points or miles can greatly diminish over time if not redeemed immediately. For me, unless those awards can be immediately converted to cash, or to something I would otherwise pay for, most of those points and awards cards simply encourage extra unnecessary spending usually, and are of somewhat dubious value.

On our last international trip, we took 9 flights, all 1-way segments, and I don't think there were 2 tickets on the same airline, so the frequent flyer miles serve no purpose as I never accrue enough miles on any one airline for anything worthwhile - I redeem them for magazines mostly before they expire - magazines which I wouldn't otherwise pay for. And of course I never know which airline I will take on my next trip. But I don't normally take a trip more than once a year, even though each trip can include several flights.

awval999

Postby awval999 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:45 am

madbrain wrote:
dbr wrote:It is an interesting exercise to track the net of fees and other costs to use miles against what would otherwise have been paid for tickets. Ancillary benefits as mentioned above also have to be accounted. In some instances the computation is ambiguous as in the value of getting a business class ticket that one would never have actually bought for cash. There is also a calculation to be made of preferring a cash back card to a points card for airlines or hotels.

Indeed. I have never paid for a business or first class ticket and never would. I have been burnt with a United frequent flyer mile card. By the time I had enough miles saved for a roundtrip to Paris, the United nonstop flight to Paris no longer existed. And the flight with a connection had severely restricted dates for award travel. I canceled my United credit card after that.

The value of the points or miles can greatly diminish over time if not redeemed immediately. For me, unless those awards can be immediately converted to cash, or to something I would otherwise pay for, most of those points and awards cards simply encourage extra unnecessary spending usually, and are of somewhat dubious value.

On our last international trip, we took 9 flights, all 1-way segments, and I don't think there were 2 tickets on the same airline, so the frequent flyer miles serve no purpose as I never accrue enough miles on any one airline for anything worthwhile - I redeem them for magazines mostly before they expire - magazines which I wouldn't otherwise pay for. And of course I never know which airline I will take on my next trip. But I don't normally take a trip more than once a year, even though each trip can include several flights.

Indeed, in your case the Amex Platinum would be a worthless adventure, primarily because you state that you only travel once a year.

I also agree that they encourage extra unnecessary spending because even if your flights or hotels or both are covered you still end up paying for miscellaneous spending when you travel.

I am in the hobby. And it enables me to travel farther and better and have experiences that I in no way could otherwise afford while paying down student loan debt at a rapid pace and save for retirement at the rate I want to save.

Without miles I couldn't afford a European vacation, because my travel budget simply isn't that large. However, when credit card miles knock out the flight, now a 2 week trip to Europe is equivalent in cost to a two week road trip. And yes, I will put up with crappy connections and fly on off-peak dates. Because it is what enables me to have that experience.

EnjoyIt

Postby EnjoyIt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:33 am

Thread highjack: sorry.

I just got offered this credit card but with a 150,000 point bonus. Unfortunately they are asking form some ridiculous spending to occur. $10K in the first 3 months and I get 100,000 points. If I can spend $20K i get 150,000 points. I wish they would send me the same bonus structure as provided to OP. $5K I can do easily. Worst case scenario I can prepay groceries, pet food, and gas by buying gift cards if I am slightly under $5K. I would really have to work on spending $10K in 3 months, and that is not definite unless there is some way to pay for mortgage and property tax with an Amex card.

Does anyone have any advice?

dbr

Postby dbr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:44 am

EnjoyIt wrote:Thread highjack: sorry.

I just got offered this credit card but with a 150,000 point bonus. Unfortunately they are asking form some ridiculous spending to occur. $10K in the first 3 months and I get 100,000 points. If I can spend $20K i get 150,000 points. I wish they would send me the same bonus structure as provided to OP. $5K I can do easily. Worst case scenario I can prepay groceries, pet food, and gas by buying gift cards if I am slightly under $5K. I would really have to work on spending $10K in 3 months, and that is not definite unless there is some way to pay for mortgage and property tax with an Amex card.

If you actually got a targeted offer you can call them up and ask if your offer can be replaced by one with the other terms. At worst they will just say no.

By the way, you can pay property taxes most places and state and federal income taxes including estimated tax payments with credit cards. There is usually a couple of percent fee, which makes just doing it not cost effective except when the benefit is spending up for bonus points. Ask your mortgage company whether you can pay them with a credit card.

TareNeko

Postby TareNeko » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Interesting. I don't think that is a good deal. Usually you get 40-50k bonus points and they make you spend $3k.
Good deals are when you get 50k points if you spend $1k, sometimes you get 100k points when you spend $3k...

What I'm trying to say is, if you are going to spend $10k (let alone $20k), you can apply to bunch of cards, and collectively get more than 150k points.

EnjoyIt

Postby EnjoyIt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:36 pm

dbr wrote:

If you actually got a targeted offer you can call them up and ask if your offer can be replaced by one with the other terms. At worst they will just say no.

By the way, you can pay property taxes most places and state and federal income taxes including estimated tax payments with credit cards. There is usually a couple of percent fee, which makes just doing it not cost effective except when the benefit is spending up for bonus points. Ask your mortgage company whether you can pay them with a credit card.

I looked into property tax and there was a 3.25% fee. Definitely looses its value doing this. They also don't accept Amex :(
Mortgage company does not accept credit cards.

I will give amex a call and see if they are willing to negotiate. Thanks

Tareneko, I agree, I do not think it is that good of a deal.

fareastwarriors

Postby fareastwarriors » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:47 pm

My Property insurance co takes a credit card payments with no additional fee.
I buy usually buy gift cards to generate additional spend if I need to make a limit.

mediahound

Postby mediahound » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:50 pm

My targeted offer was for 50,000 points with a 5k spend in 3 months.

My county does accept credit cards for property tax, but with a 2.25% fee. I'm planning on waiting until the last minute and will do that as an option, depending on how close I get to the minimum spend amount.

EnjoyIt

Postby EnjoyIt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:49 pm

gave amex a call and they will not budge from 100,000 points for $10K spend and a fee of $495. No deal!

Artsdoctor

Postby Artsdoctor » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Exterous wrote:I've had this card for a few years now. You can use the points to book travel through their website although the better values can typically be had by transferring the rewards to their program participants. Personally I don't find their partners as good as Chase and I think that seems to be the general consensus but it does somewhat depend on where you want to go and where you live. That said there are certainly options to be had with their partners and they occasionally run transfer bonuses. Given that you should also be able to get the Global Entry credit, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, $200 in airline credits to use towards ancillary charges this calendar year and next (or gift cards if used properly) in addition to the 100k points its a pretty good deal for the first year.

I did choose to keep the card after the first year for the following three reasons:
1. Access to the Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Varries by location but there are plenty of times we've gotten hotel rooms at very nice hotels for ~$200 that includes a free upgrade, free breakfast and $100 towards dinner (A few examples: Westbury Dublin, The Wilalrd Washington DC, Hyatt Atlanta, Hyatt Melbourne, W New Orleans)
3. Medical evacuation coverage while traveling for you and your immediate family. Not quite as good as Medjet assist but appears to be a good plan and, after the fee credit and FHR benefits I am not paying too much more (if any) for this coverage

Biggest thing I don't like about the card: Still having to deal with the automated menus. Seems like if Chase can get me a live person immediately for $95/yr then Amex should be able to do it for $450/yr

You might want to double-check #3. Platinum card will ARRANGE your entire medical evacuation experience. However, unless something has changed recently, they won't PAY for it. I've had a dozen patients flown back to LA over the years for medical reasons with very professional planning through AMEX Platinum, but the bill is tens of thousands of dollars.

If you want points, go for the Gold card. You'll earn more faster. If you want a 2-for-1 international business class ticket, you can upgrade to Platinum temporarily.

If you really need concierge service, go for the Platinum. If you want everything and cost is no object, go for the Black.

kermit

Postby kermit » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:45 pm

I've had this card for about a year. Mine came with 50k points and I still think it was worth it and continues to be. Consider the *reoccuring* perks that have a monetary value attached:

1) $200 / year airline credits. We travel with our dog at least once a year and that usually costs $150 each way. This is easy money.
2) Fine Hotel & Resorts program. We usually end up at one or two of these hotels a year; even without the card we'd still stay at them (and did before getting the card!). But booking the hotel through FH&R means a free room upgrade, early checkin, late checkout, spa credit, etc. I wouldn't count those perks as I wouldn't otherwise pay for them. But what I do need to pay for is breakfast. It depends on what you value breakfast for 2 at but I'd put it at around $30 as you can usually find cheaper food away from the hotel (but then your exchanging $ for time). It's not hard to imagine this adding up to $200+ depending on how often you travel.
3) Lounge access. This varies depending on where you fly out of frequently. We live in San Francisco and thus get to visit the SFO Centurion lounge about 3 or 4 times a year. Each time we go we usually have a meal there. The food is very good! So let's value this at maybe $20 per person per trip? I'm not counting the cost of the drinks as, like I mentioned in the FH&R section, I wouldn't otherwise purchase the drinks. But everyone needs to eat! I peg this at maybe $125 worth of food a year?

Then there's other extras like status at various hotels, status at car rentals, and global entry fee waived ($100 every 5 years). Even if you ignore those it's easy to reach $450 in value a year if you happen to use FH&R.

mediahound

Postby mediahound » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:59 pm

kermit wrote:I've had this card for about a year. Mine came with 50k points and I still think it was worth it and continues to be. Consider the *reoccuring* perks that have a monetary value attached:

1) $200 / year airline credits. We travel with our dog at least once a year and that usually costs $150 each way. This is easy money.
2) Fine Hotel & Resorts program. We usually end up at one or two of these hotels a year; even without the card we'd still stay at them (and did before getting the card!). But booking the hotel through FH&R means a free room upgrade, early checkin, late checkout, spa credit, etc. I wouldn't count those perks as I wouldn't otherwise pay for them. But what I do need to pay for is breakfast. It depends on what you value breakfast for 2 at but I'd put it at around $30 as you can usually find cheaper food away from the hotel (but then your exchanging $ for time). It's not hard to imagine this adding up to $200+ depending on how often you travel.
3) Lounge access. This varies depending on where you fly out of frequently. We live in San Francisco and thus get to visit the SFO Centurion lounge about 3 or 4 times a year. Each time we go we usually have a meal there. The food is very good! So let's value this at maybe $20 per person per trip? I'm not counting the cost of the drinks as, like I mentioned in the FH&R section, I wouldn't otherwise purchase the drinks. But everyone needs to eat! I peg this at maybe $125 worth of food a year?

Then there's other extras like status at various hotels, status at car rentals, and global entry fee waived ($100 every 5 years). Even if you ignore those it's easy to reach $450 in value a year if you happen to use FH&R.

I agree. I instantly got upgraded to Hilton HHonors to Gold status, as well as Hertz status upgrade with the card among the many other perks.

And regarding the lounges, I'm also in the SFO area and recently a relative brought me to the Centurion lounge as a guest. I was really impressed! It's literally the best airport lounge I've ever seen (not that I've see a ton of them). Near gourmet meals, free drinks, including beer, wine and mixed drinks, a nice shower room etc. People actually arrive to SFO way earlier then they need to just to go there, it's that good.

koryg75

Postby koryg75 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:30 pm

I read in the fine print that cash equivalents don't count toward the required spending. Yet I see people mention buying gift cards to make up for lack of spending. Am I missing something?

Jags4186

Postby Jags4186 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Artsdoctor wrote:
Exterous wrote:I've had this card for a few years now. You can use the points to book travel through their website although the better values can typically be had by transferring the rewards to their program participants. Personally I don't find their partners as good as Chase and I think that seems to be the general consensus but it does somewhat depend on where you want to go and where you live. That said there are certainly options to be had with their partners and they occasionally run transfer bonuses. Given that you should also be able to get the Global Entry credit, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, $200 in airline credits to use towards ancillary charges this calendar year and next (or gift cards if used properly) in addition to the 100k points its a pretty good deal for the first year.

You might want to double-check #3. Platinum card will ARRANGE your entire medical evacuation experience. However, unless something has changed recently, they won't PAY for it. I've had a dozen patients flown back to LA over the years for medical reasons with very professional planning through AMEX Platinum, but the bill is tens of thousands of dollars.

If you want points, go for the Gold card. You'll earn more faster. If you want a 2-for-1 international business class ticket, you can upgrade to Platinum temporarily.

If you really need concierge service, go for the Platinum. If you want everything and cost is no object, go for the Black.

Just to clarify here are the T&C for the air evacuation:

MEDICAL ASSISTANCE

Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance
In the event that the Card Member or another covered family member (your spouse or domestic partner, dependent up to age 23, or age 26 if full-time student) traveling on the same trip itinerary as the Card Member becomes injured or ill while traveling and is seeking or has sought medical treatment, the Premium Global Assist Hotline medical department can assess the medical need for transportation and provide the service.

A medical evacuation may be provided at no cost to the Card Member or covered family member from point of illness or injury (when the Card Member or covered family member is under the care of a local medical service provider or facility) to a more appropriate medical facility or to a hospital near the person’s home as determined by the Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician. The Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician, in consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, will determine whether such transport is medically necessary and advisable. The event must be within the first 90 days of the trip and cannot be a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is any sickness, illness, or injury that has manifested itself, become acute, or was being treated in the 60 day period immediately prior to the start of a trip. The person needing evacuation may need to complete a medical information release as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (a “HIPAA Release”), or provide authorization for next of kin to complete the release. Emergency transportation services in connection with the medical emergency may also be provided to a covered family member pursuant to the full Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance Terms and Conditions at the end of this document. Subject to additional important terms, conditions and exclusions. Please see full Terms and Conditions at the end of this document.

Very Important: Any costs for medical transport not authorized and arranged through the Premium Global Assist Hotline Program are solely the responsibility of the Card Member and such costs will not be reimbursed. Premium Global Assist Hotline does not cover medical expenses (with the exception of cost incurred during the transport) nor transportation of personal possessions including luggage.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”