Age when you started to max out your retirement accounts?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
keystone

Re: Age when you started to max out your retirement accounts?

Post by keystone » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:37 am

At my first post-college job at age 22, I contributed 18% of salary to my 401K which was my employer's limit but under the IRS max. I started maxing my 401k at age 24, which was 10K at the time and 2K for a Roth IRA.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:17 am

I have always "maxed" my 401k contributions starting in 1997 (@24). Although, IIRC the max was limited to 12% or 15% up until 2002'ish. As soon as I was able, I started putting the maximum in.

We also contributed to tiRAs/Roths at various times depending on bonuses/taxable income and contributed up to the match in my wife's 401k and sometimes more.

Complete maxing to the 401k and Roth limits on both myself and my wife started when I was 39.

I also contribute to a taxable account, although I am now debating paying down a loan on a timber investment instead of investing more in taxable.

We are also professional (Engineer and HR Manager) DINKs living in a rural LCOL area with extremely low cost hobbies/expenses. For instance, our house payment is only $467/month.

I expect if we lived in a more expensive area and were able to have children we would not be able to do this.

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:25 am

I have continued to contribute the maximum to a Roth IRA since 2011, when I was 25 and my gross income was a little over $33k. Last year I started to contribute the max to my 457 when my income was a little over $50k. This year I started contributing to a Roth 401k after my income jumped to a little over $56k, but I don't think I'll be able to ever max it unless I gross over $79k.

Miguelito

Post by Miguelito » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:46 am

I contributed 6% since I started working at 22 after graduation. Starting at age 26 I started maxing out 401k and the following year I started maxing the back door Roth. Wife and I started maxing out both at the same time once she started working.

Being in our late 30's, I'm hopeful and optimistic that we will be able to continue to max out this way for 15+ years as we both have professional careers that should allow it.

JustinTime

Post by JustinTime » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:31 am

This year, Age 24

SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:44 am

JD2775 wrote:Just curious as to others situations...although I bet it will make me feel bad about my own ;)

I woke up when I turned 40 (this past February) and realized I needed to really start saving more money. That is when I started to max out my 401k and Roth IRA at the same time. Until that point I had been putting 9-11% into my 401k (about half the max) and a couple hundred dollars into the Roth per month. Oh, and I didn't even start saving for retirement until I was 30. I know, late to the game.

Big change for me but it is worth it and I have learned to adjust spending in other areas...

What about you?

Good for you ! We started at ages 41/42 big time with IRA's, taxable so in various investment groups . Consolidated with just Vanguard Group in 1990 . Became Flagdhip members in 2008 .(retired with good pensions in 1994/1997 .) Don't need investments except for really big ticket items every few years . Reinvest RMD's . Contracted with VPAS to look after investments, and VTS to distribute the will recedes and work with our attorney . Life is good for us in a 5 star CCRC thanks to planning ahead ! :dollar
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}

drew1976

Post by drew1976 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:53 am

Maxed out 401k starting around 30. Was maxing out Roth 401k then (getting a nice match too for traditional 401k).

Currently maxing out 401k (27K 401k and 25K Roth IRA with megabackdoor). Using Roth IRA as catch-all for extra money at this point (house fund, college funds, emergency savings). Wish I could put more into Roth via megabackdoor, but glad to have it.

I have finally crossed my 10x age goal in retirement funds and hope to never look back.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:55 am

Very impressed with the 20-somethings who started out strong!

We could not max out until our kids were all in school and I returned to part-time paid work, in our 40s.

In our 50s with the mortgage paid off, we could max out his 401k, my 403b, two Roth IRAs.

I can also contribute to a 457, but have not yet maxed that out. (I choose to be employed .75 time on a regular basis so that I can have more time to do household management/cooking/grandparenting. My employer is okay with that because I provide a reservoir of trained talent and am willing to step up to insane hours to meet a deadline or handle a special project.)

kazper

Post by kazper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:57 am

Still working on it (almost 32). Maxed out Roth for me and traditional IRA for my wife this year. So some sense of accomplishment with that. Have roughly 7k in TSP contributions for the year, so WAY off the 18k max :(

avenger

Post by avenger » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:00 am

31, when I finished my residency.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:34 am

I'll probably never max out my accounts, but I started young enough with a 10% rate and am currently at 17% (including all matching). Expenses, minimal as they are, won't really allow me to max anything.

kjv

Lazysundays

Post by Lazysundays » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:57 am

For me it's more of a when WILL we. In 7-9 years at age 47 the latest. My goal is throw the extra cash from SL payoff to create a 30% of current income retirement contribution. 30% for us should be $54,000 for a 6% growth, adjusted for 3% inflation goal of $1.9 million at 67.

TexasEng

Post by TexasEng » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:38 am

triceratop wrote:
RobInCT wrote:I think there's too much focus by some people around here about "maxing out your retirement accounts," for a number of reasons. For one, the "maxing out" amount is really just an arbitrary number set by the government that usually bears no more than minimal, if any, relationship to the relevant factors one should consider when determining the appropriate savings rate, e.g., income, availability of other retirement resources (taxable savings, pensions), health, etc. It can also vary wildly from person-to-person and family-to-family for reasons not related to the family's actual retirement needs.
+1. For some of us "maxing out" is contributing $0 to an IRA and $0 to a 401(k). Doesn't, and shouldn't, stop me from a 40% gross savings rate.

triceratop,

Curious why have you taken this approach? And where do you save this 40%?

TexasEng

jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:06 am

I was 35 when I first maxed out my 401k.

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:15 am

I was 25 when I opened and maxed out a Roth IRA for 2015. My fiancee is the same age, and did the same for 2016. We plan to contribute the full $11,000 for both of us every year until retirement as our bare minimum acceptable savings target.

I also contribute 1/3 of the limit to my 403b; $6-7k annually, but I don't see us being able to max out that, let alone two employer plans, anytime soon if ever.
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:21 am

22, and every year since.

We put in the max we could put in, that wasn't always the legal max. Some 401K plans used to max % contribution levels that were well below the $$ level.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:26 am

Since I was 27...maxed 401k and roth ira...now 34...accounts are growing bigly

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 am

I was 19 when I started maxing out contributions to my IRA. This year (age 30) is when I started to max out my contributions to my 401k.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:27 am

TexasEng wrote:
triceratop wrote:
RobInCT wrote:I think there's too much focus by some people around here about "maxing out your retirement accounts," for a number of reasons. For one, the "maxing out" amount is really just an arbitrary number set by the government that usually bears no more than minimal, if any, relationship to the relevant factors one should consider when determining the appropriate savings rate, e.g., income, availability of other retirement resources (taxable savings, pensions), health, etc. It can also vary wildly from person-to-person and family-to-family for reasons not related to the family's actual retirement needs.
+1. For some of us "maxing out" is contributing $0 to an IRA and $0 to a 401(k). Doesn't, and shouldn't, stop me from a 40% gross savings rate.

triceratop,

Curious why have you taken this approach? And where do you save this 40%?

TexasEng
I do not have a 401k and am ineligible to contribute to an IRA due to the source of my income (see Pub970 Chpt 1). But I'm far from unique -- many Americans do not have a 401k

I have a sizeable taxable account.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:41 am

Really impressed with people stashing away money in their 20s. Those dollars will hopefully be worth 5 iterations of doubling in your late 60s. If you maxed out just your Roth 5 years in your 20s and matched your employer in your 401k, you are controlling your financial future to the extent it can be controlled.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:50 am

I am assuming you are referring to tax-advantage accounts. If so...

I was about 32/33 (I am 37 now) when I finally started maxing out all tax-advantaged accounts (we have about $63,000 of tax advantage space, will hopefully be $18,000 more if I can get my wife's employer to add the NYS 457b plan)...right around the time I found this site. While my accounts have grown a lot over the last 4/5 years I wish i started maxing them out since my first job at age 9. While I have always been a natural saver my parents where horrible with money so unfortunately I didn't have anyone guiding me...knowing my personality when I was younger I would have been very receptive of good money advice.

The only advice my dad gave me was to put all the money I saved up from my paper route by age 14 (was roughly $8,000 sitting in cash...was a lot of money for a 14 year old in the early 90's) in some sort of speculative mutual fund that I guarantee had huge upfront loads and ER...i remember sales guy coming to my house and I was not nearly financially savvy enough to know what was going on and I fully trusted my dad. Unfortunately It lost a lot of money. :oops: Later in the 90's my dad tried to convince me to put all of my money in tech stocks but I at least learned not to take his advice anymore. lol. He had all of his savings in tech and lost his shirt.

Now my brother in law and his wife have been maxing out all of their tax advantage space since graduating around 2003...They must have a lot saved up as I have heard mentioning retiring in his early to mid 40's and his wife is looking to work PT as a PA.

Unfortunately I didn't see the light until finding this site...this is easily my favorite website to frequent...thanks everyone.

msjohn07

Post by msjohn07 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:04 am

A couple of years ago at age 31. Max 401(k), Roth IRA, HSA, and a monthly amount to a taxable account. Also, I am very lucky to have a match and profit sharing equal to 11% of salary per year as well.
Last edited by msjohn07 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:05 am

deltaneutral83 wrote:Really impressed with people stashing away money in their 20s. Those dollars will hopefully be worth 5 iterations of doubling in your late 60s. If you maxed out just your Roth 5 years in your 20s and matched your employer in your 401k, you are controlling your financial future to the extent it can be controlled.
I'm stashing away 40% of gross in my early to mid 20s but it is because I am pessimistic about future returns -- I doubt I will see 5 iterations of doubling despite up to a 70 year investing horizon. This motivates me to save more.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

MNgineer

Post by MNgineer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:10 am

I'm currently 31 making $72k annually.

I've been maxing out a Roth IRA for about 5 years, but up until this week I'd only been contributing up to the employer match in my 401(k). Having just finished paying off my student loans and obtaining some fantastic advice from this forum, I've officially updated the 401(k) plan to contribute the annual maximum of $18k.

Between the Roth IRA and 401(k), I'll be socking away about 35% of my income, which feels like a lot considering my middle-of-the-road tax bracket, but it should be very doable. My future self will thank me!

wander

Post by wander » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:25 am

I say: start to work early then you can go home early. I started maxing my retirement accounts in my late 20s hoping that I would stop worrying about work a little earlier than my peers.

mags

Post by mags » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Age 27 for 401k and roth.

BuffettHead

Post by BuffettHead » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:51 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:I am maxing them out for the first time in my career at 37. But honestly I don't know how so many people do it. $23,500 / year is a lot of money. I just got a big bump in pay this year that enabled me to do it but I live fairly frugally. And by frugally I mean I bought a house for much less than I could afford, I don't drive an extravagant car, and I even have a roommate (although that more bc he's a friend and less for financial reasons). Now I still go out whenever I want and go on trips if the opportunity arises... but I honestly don't know how some people do it. You'd have to make $117,500 and contribute 20% to hit those limits. Seems easy but with a big house and a family it must be hard.
They probably just don't buy McMansions they can't afford, brand new iPhones every year, brand new nikes every two or three months, don't have more kids than they can afford, I guessing they just make a conscious choice to not get caught up in the consumer lifestyle and live below their means, after that a 40 or 50% savings rate is easy. You have to keep perspective and realize that even if you save 50% of your take home and live in America you are still doing better than probably 90% of the worlds population.

MarvinK

Post by MarvinK » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:28 pm

About age 33/34.

Prior to that I had talked to two commission financial advisors, a fee-only financial advisor and a relative's CPA who did my meager taxes.
None of them mentioned nor instilled in me this idea.
I overheard two guys at work boasting that they had maxed it out, and looked into the concept further.
Regret not maxing it out sooner (I sometimes had the money)...
But happy to be here now with my tribe.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Maxed out contributions after child support ended at 53.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

bantam222

Post by bantam222 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Max out backdoor roth every year starting at age 22 ($5500 post tax)
Max out 401k every year starting at age 24 ($18000k pre tax plus $9000 company match)
This year I am 25 and also working on mega-back door roth of my company limit of 20k (post tax)

Did not start HSA/FSA or 529 plan yet (no kids).

Goinganontoday

Post by Goinganontoday » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:53 pm

We maxed our IRAs starting around when I was about 29 while also making some contributions to our 401ks. We started maxing DH's 401k and our IRAs when I was about 35, at which time I began contributing to my pension as well as my 403b. We started maxing our IRAs, his 401k, and my 403b plus contributing to my pension when I was 36. We don't have access to any other taxed preferred savings options.

We could have maxed retirement space when we were much younger, but neither of us knew much about saving for retirement.

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:25 pm

triceratop wrote:I'm stashing away 40% of gross in my early to mid 20s but it is because I am pessimistic about future returns -- I doubt I will see 5 iterations of doubling despite up to a 70 year investing horizon. This motivates me to save more.
Same thinking here.
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

forkhorn

Post by forkhorn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Maxing out Roth since I was 19 and started co-oping (like an internship) in undergrad. Maxed out 401k for a few years in the early 2000s, but not since then. Partly it's because I'm planning to move from a no-income-tax-state to an income-tax-state, and so I think my tax rate will rise. Partly it's due to the money piling up so fast that I just have little need to save more, so only put in enough for the match. I'm afraid I'm someone who is too prone to save, and I have to remind myself it's ok to not save as much as possible.

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 pm

I don't actually recall exactly when, but I believe it was mid 30s. In my 50s now, and it is nice to get the bump of "catch up" contributions. I don't really need to catch up, but still nice to have the extra tax deferred space.

jumppilot

Post by jumppilot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:24 am

Maxed out at for the first time at 34. Now that I have two kids I may have to dial that back.

I'm thankful I put in as much as I could, when I could. Because now that life has caught up to me, even if I dial it down, I'm still on track for a wonderful retirement.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 am

When we were 28 and finished paying student loans. Wish we had started when DW was in school, but that would have added nearly 60k to her student loans, putting the balance over 150k. Seemed overwhelming at the time, but now feels shortsighted as we are out of tax-advantaged space each year.

Woodlake

Post by Woodlake » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:30 am

Regret not learning about bogleheads and 401k investing until this year

We didn't max out 401k until this year, 28/32 years old, and we had over 160k sitting in bank account from 6 years of working

mdba73

Post by mdba73 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:52 am

Got a 401k job in 2003 (Age:30) and maxing out since then. Hit 100K in 2007, 500K in 2017.
Currently contributing close to 32K in 401k for FY 2017 with the excess rolling into ROTH via in-service withdrawal/transfer.
I am not sure of the exact user - but someone on BH convinced me to invest the full limit on ROTH IRA on the first trading of the year - which I did too.

ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 am

Close this year, but plan to max out for the first time next year at 48 y/o.

This will be a single 401K, 2 Roth's, a family HSA, and my wife's school system pension plan. (My wife says her plan automatically takes 7% from her pay and matches it, but that she has no other options to contribute more. I need to get around to looking into this.)

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:36 am

For me, it was early 30's. Prior to then, income was not high enough giving fixed expenses to allow for me to max out. However, once I started maxing out I never stopped until I retired (last year).

For us, retirement accounts (I'm considering those to include 401k and tIRA) are a very small % of our liquid (investable) assets. The vast majority of our liquid/investable assets are in taxable accounts as the annual maximum contributions on 401k/tIRA just limits what we could save through those vehicles. IMHO, it's important to build a substantial nest egg outside of traditional retirement accounts to fund your lifestyle in retirement (especially nowadays as traditional defined benefit pension plans are going the way of the dinosaur). It also allows for a much more tax efficient withdrawal strategy - even more so if you can retire early and use the years from early retirement until you are required to start taking RMD'S (and SS) to do partial systematic Roth conversions.
Last edited by MikeG62 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:39 am

I maxed out to the 15% limit as soon as my company got a 401k when I was 49. I never did understand why it was capped at 15. HR would send out these long boring missives every month or so (word economy, please??) and I found out years later that the max had been raised to whatever. It was in one of those emails.... :oops: So I went as high as 35% for awhile.

Fortunately I was also maxing my IRA at the time.

jnet2000

Post by jnet2000 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:44 am

I have been self employed all my adult life. I started making my Traditional IRA at age 18 and did until I opened a SEP, 401k and now with our SIMPLE IRA. It's never too late. I started early and it was really because my uncle kept telling me to save. I walked into a Schwab office and the rest is history.
"You really don't need leverage in this world much. If you're smart, you're going to make a lot of money without borrowing" Warren Buffet

Billionaire

Post by Billionaire » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:20 am

Cool topic. I've kept contribution records going back to 1982 when I made my first deductible contribution of $1000.00 to an IRA. My first year maxing to the IRA was in 1985 when I was 29. I've been maxing out my 401K contributions since 1997, including the catch-up portion when I was eligible.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:38 am

Almost from the getgo we started. tIRA we started as soon as they invented it.

401K sadly missed the first year they invented it. In my wildest dreams I did not anticipate it was tax deductible (like a super tIRA) so missed one year. Forgive us, Bogleheads was not yet online to get the heads up on that, although we probably had Vanguard money market fund by then.

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Been doing it since I was 27 when my income got above 100k.

DA200

Post by DA200 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Wife and I started maxing most retirement accounts at Age 29/30 (1997).
Maxing in 1997:
His 403b $9.5K
His DB Pension $9K
Her Keough (future SEP-IRA) $20K
Unfortunately, I did not realize I could also contribute $7.5K to a 457b (it took 15 more years to realize this which is one of my biggest regrets regarding saving for retirement).

Move forward to 2017 (maxing ALL retirement accounts):
His 403b $24K
His 457b $24K
His DB Pension $15K
Her 401k/profit sharing $29K
His Roth IRA $6.5K
Her Roth IRA $5.5K
Total=$104K
At this level we have to steal from taxable to pay into tax deferred accounts (approximately $10K/yr).

corgimom11

Post by corgimom11 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Started formally maxing out my 401k + my Roth IRA at age 28. I wish I would have started saving for retirement earlier. But I was 27 before I ever had access to a 401k. our top priority now is max my 401k (18000 + 4500 employer contribution ) and then try to get to at least 15% on my husbands 401k, and then to max both Roth IRAs.

Still feel blessed overall and on track ( i am 28 and my husband is 32) to have 90K+ in 401k/IRAs.

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Wife and I are 27/28 and max my 401k, roth ira and her retirement fund, deferred comp and roth ira.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 pm

I started maxing out my retirement when I got the big bucks in private practice. Full 401K, Backdoor Roth IRA and even piling some into a taxable account and real estate. That was ten years ago. Hopefully, it will start adding up to something I can live on someday. :happy
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Age 41. Not yet maxed.

Started contributing to a 401k about age 22 when I got my first job out of college. Was not able to max in my 20s due to low salary, large student debt and the need to help out family members in severe financial distress (Stanley's "no outpatient care" sounds good on paper but is hard to face in reality when your parents are going to be living on the street otherwise).

I did always contribute to the full employer match + some extra however. And I started adding in Roth contributions around 25 and maxed those out a number of years.

In my 30s I still didn't max because I got married, had to help my spouse get her finances in order and then we had to save for a house.

Late 30s our income is finally getting to the point where maxing is possible but then kids come along (twins) and we are back to one income for 6-7 years and again maxing is again just not possible.

We are now at the point where the kids are in school and my wife will start working full time again. I expect to start maxing everything once she does and contribute that through our 40s and 50s. Assuming the economy doesn't blow up and I dont get downsized that should still be enough for us to retire before 60.