Aon Active Health Exchange

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
datamonkee

Aon Active Health Exchange

Post by datamonkee » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:49 am

A friend of mine asked me a question that I could not answer. I was hoping that someone on the forum would have better information on this.

A friend of mine mentioned that his company is switching from regular medical insurance plans (provided by the company) to an obamacare-like insurance marketplace called "Aon Active Health Exchange."

Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what are your opinions?

Thanks.

datamonkee

Re: Aon Active Health Exchange

Post by datamonkee » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:13 am

anyone?

magellan

Post by magellan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:37 am

Prior to your post, I had never heard of them, but some quick googling revealed lots of information.

Apparently, these 'private exchanges' don't have anything to do with Obamacare. They do involve something that they call an exchange, which is a website where employees can choose from multiple insurance products offered by various insurers. This approach is in contrast to the traditional model where employers vet plans themselves and choose a single company that offers a small number of options. With this model, employers give employees a credit to buy insurance, contract with one of these private exchanges, then send employees to the private exchange to select a plan.

The idea is relatively new and experts believe the approach could eventually dominate the employer provided health insurance market.

This Kaiser Family Foundation document (pdf) has lots of info:
http://files.kff.org/attachment/examini ... ket-report

Some quotes from the doc:
, we believe the current market in aggregate had at least 2.5 million people enrolled through private
exchanges in 2014, including about 1.7 million group plan enrollees, 700,000 individual Medicare enrollees,
and 100,000 individual enrollees

Some employers using the private exchange model:
- For active employees: Walgreen’s, Sears, Darden Restaurants, Petco, DineEquity (parent company of
Applebee’s & IHOP)
- For retirees: IBM, Time Warner, General Electric, Whirlpool, Caterpillar, Kinder Morgan
- For part-time and seasonal employees: Target
Last edited by magellan on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

plannerman

Post by plannerman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:50 am

Aon handles employee health insurance for my DW. I have found them very difficult to do business with. As an example, I sent them an email question on Sunday--they promise a one-day turn around on their website. Yesterday, after no response, I called. I was on hold for about 1-hour waiting to speak to a representative, only to be told I had to make an appointment for a call back. Last year, I had several callbacks scheduled but they never once called back. I would never voluntarily do business with them. YMMV.

plannerman

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:04 pm

My company has been in the Aon Health Exchange for a couple years now. No complaints here. Each year I have a choice of a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum level plan with multiple insurers within each option. The corresponding premiums/deductibles and service level for each is provided when I make my enrollment decision.

As previously noted, it's not 'Obamacare' whatever that even means anymore. It's a private exchange. Aon is one of a few companies that manage them.

Like them or not, I think they are the future of the healthcare marketplace. And if you work for a large company, you will likely be enrolled in one sooner than later.

In my short experience, I like having the additional options and I think these exchanges promote competition among insurers. I haven't had to deal with Aon much directly,but I haven't had the service issues the prior poster speaks of.

datamonkee

Post by datamonkee » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks for the replies.

plannerman's experience is worrisome.

i did look up info, and it seems like they have been in existence for 2-3 years now, and last year, they had 33 clients (ie, big companies).

magellen, thanks for the kaiser report. i didn't see that before.