Has anyone tried to buy a new VW?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Browser

Has anyone tried to buy a new VW?

Post by Browser » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:48 pm

I keep reading articles about how the values of used VWs are down and customers for VWs, even the non-diesels, are cautious. Seems like a good time to try to buy one, but if I've thought of that the bozos probably have too and it won't work. Has anybody tried to get a good deal on a new one since the scandal, and how did it go?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Has anyone tried to buy a new VW?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:55 pm

I've watched local used tdi prices on cargurus and they are indeed down. On most internet forums, members are saying that there is a zero percent chance that they will get whatever fix is offered. Fuel mileage and power are trumping emissions.

I would join them if I bought a used tdi and would only consider a non-fixed car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:00 pm

I leased a non-diesel Jetta a short while ago. Sadly, it was before the big kerfluffle regarding VW cheating.

I like the car well enough. It was an inexpensive lease when I needed wheels pronto, so I grabbed it.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I've watched local used tdi prices on cargurus and they are indeed down. On most internet forums, members are saying that there is a zero percent chance that they will get whatever fix is offered. Fuel mileage and power are trumping emissions.

I would join them if I bought a used tdi and would only consider a non-fixed car.
California for one, will not let a car pass the biannual emissions test if an emissions recall has not been done in a reasonable time. Many states still don't even have any emissions standards at all for diesels so perhaps they will all end up there ?

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:19 pm

i would certainly hope that every state will give vw a reasonable length of time to fix every car, and after whatever that date is determined to be, that tags will not be issued until the owners have brought the car into compliance.

nobody should support vw by purchasing a car from them.

Browser

Post by Browser » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:59 pm

Hope we don't turn this thread into another VW rant and have it locked. I'd really like to hear if someone has been shopping VW trying to get a discount price and if they've been successful. I might be interested in pursuing that route if it looks promising. I'd even buy a diesel if I thought the dealer would sell one to me at a big discount, but I'm assuming they can't sell them now.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

gatorking

Post by gatorking » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:02 pm

Truecar provides graphs of sales. You could start there.
"If it weren't for color printers, and man's need to find patterns where there are none, investment advisers would be a whole lot poorer." - yobria

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:12 pm

I have considered a used Passat, but I don't see many available at a big enough discount.

Ralph

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:17 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:On most internet forums, members are saying that there is a zero percent chance that they will get whatever fix is offered. Fuel mileage and power are trumping emissions.
This is fascinating. I guess if you bought a VW diesel for reasons other than environmentalism, you could even be kinda happy now. You get a loophole for driving an "illegal" vehicle that's more powerful and gets better mileage than what you could buy new. Once the drama subsides, those vehicles may actually be sought after in the secondary market.

I need to go catch up on the gossip on some VW forums. Last time I rode in a Volkswagen, it looked like one of these:

For the rare police officer who would not pull us over simply for the paintjob, we had the good sense to put a "Bad Cop, No Donut" sticker on the back. :D

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:33 pm

I've been a VW hater since 2003, when our 2002 VW Passat 1.8L turbo blew out its engine due to a turbo oil sludge defect. VW refused to honor the warranty because I had done some of the oil changes myself, forcing me to sue them. A few years later there was class-action lawsuit over the defect, but we had long-since settled our individual suit.

So for me this whole VW mess is full of schadenfreude. :beer

billern

Post by billern » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:56 pm

With the way dealerships finance inventory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retail_floorplan), some dealerships may have to offer additional incentives to move inventory and pay down debt. This may be one of those times when having cash to buy a car gets a lower price.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:19 pm

There's a $2K owner loyalty discount being offered for existing VW owners.

It's possible as this whole thing wears on other discounts may be offered to keep the metal moving.

I really like the Golf, but I've heard and read too many VW horror stories to ever consider a VW product.

Johno

Post by Johno » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:05 pm

gatorking wrote:Truecar provides graphs of sales. You could start there.
The trend graphs for a middle level gasoline Passat showed a recent ~10% decline in the 'Truecar dealer' price (with all relevant caveats*). I don't know if that includes the $2k incentive if the incentive only applies to existing VW owners.

Media accounts have said VW ordered US dealers not to sell any more of the directly effected 2015 diesel models and they won't be getting any 2016 diesels for the time being. I don't know if there's any loophole in that by which some diesels actually are available from dealers.

VW wouldn't have been on my shopping list. I have a BMW, the car makes me smile whenever I even think about it much less drive it and it's been fine so far, but I've no interest in 'German engineering' at the mass market price point, particularly not VW's track record. I loved my '67 and '73 bugs, but it's a different story when you literally know how to take the car apart and put it back together.

*but individual accounts of car price negotiating prowess are going to have all their own caveats.

sambb

Post by sambb » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:46 pm

I have visited a VW dealer
The deals are unbeleivable on several of their models, outside of TDI
I am considering a lease.. really wow.
Truecar, etc can be wrong
Go to the dealer and iron out a price. You will be impressed perhaps

Compound

Post by Compound » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:16 am

Before this issue arose I had been considering selling our VW. It is a gasoline version. Since the news broke, I decided against selling because of the terrible damage VW has done to their brand. Even though my model was not affected directly by the emissions cheating, it has taken an indirect hit in value due to the brand association. I guess this car will be with my family for a while longer -- sigh.