Fidelity 2% Amex: Security Annoyances

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
linenfort

Fidelity 2% Amex: Security Annoyances

Post by linenfort » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:39 pm

My card was declined all day recently, and despite being replaced last month after a widespread hack, I mistakenly thought my card had been compromised.

I called the tel # on the back of the card and got a computer voice asking me to confirm the 5 recent "suspicious" (non)charges, that is, attempts to buy something, along with merchant names, dates and amounts. They were all legit. The only non-local charges were online, and they were with online merchants I have used in the past. Therefore, I'm not sure what triggered the company's suspicions.

I never did get a human on the line, and instead of trying to do that further I hung up, only to find on the official webpage that "Contact Us" only leads to phone numbers, not email addresses or live chats.

To their credit (no pun intended), they or their computer were probably trying to reach me on the phone on the same day that I was out trying to make these charges. I have changed the phone number to my cell for that reason and signed up for text alerts.

I appreciate that Amex is trying to protect me and themselves, but I'm thinking of canceling the card because it gets declined so often. This is probably at least the fifth time. Not the fifth charge but the fifth day over the years, that I had to whip out a backup card.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

BH13

Re: Fidelity 2% Amex: Security Annoyances

Post by BH13 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Yes, our card got declined much more often than other cards. So much so, that we've switched over to the Citi Double Cash card and have stopped using the FIA card.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:47 pm

I have a Fidelity 2% Visa, and run into the same issue.

I despise the card, but keep tolerating it because of the rewards, mine gets shut off on average every 6 months.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:56 pm

linenfort wrote:I appreciate that Amex is trying to protect me and themselves
AmEx isn't declining -- FIA is.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:06 pm

takeshi wrote:
linenfort wrote:I appreciate that Amex is trying to protect me and themselves
AmEx isn't declining -- FIA is.
Yes, a lot of people don't realize that the Fidelity AMEX runs through the AMEX network but is serviced by Bank of America. While we're complaining, let me mention that the FIA website is awful. I, too, tolerate it for the rewards. Perhaps I should switch to the double cash from Citi as mentioned above.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:10 pm

I have the card. I had that problem at first. I had a heart to heart with them, telling them that I use the card for business and I cannot be in a situation where I am at a business lunch and it is declined. I told them that if this kept happening, I was gone. Despite previously having been told that there were not different levels of security, I have not had it happen a single time in the year and a half since I had that conversation with them. It may be worth the call hold time.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Yes. FIA is the worst. Last year on a trip to California it was continuously repeatedly denied despite the fact we called them several times to tell them yes, we are actually in California actively using our card please let the charges go through. A few months ago we got a new card due to a "potential compromise". This was all them, nothing suspicious on our end. Then two weeks ago they froze the card and called to say that there was recently a transaction where the card was swiped at a restaurant in Omaha and was this us? Since I have never been or plan to go to Omaha I told them no and they shut the card down. When I could actually look at recent transactions online two minutes later the suspicious charge in question was actually from a pizza place down the street. Most DEFNITELY not in Omaha. When I called right back to say this actually was us in Atlanta, not Omaha, it was too late the card was already deactivated :annoyed . They are so bad I would love to ditch the card but that 2% is so juicy. Just very frustrating since I have it linked to Paypal, amazon, my gym, ect. Changing all that is a hassle.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:53 pm

I had that issue with citi double cash for a while. While it allowed me to charge odd amounts like $1,287.59, it would decline and shut down the card on round number transactions like $100.00. Eventually, I taught it to behave correctly and it has been doing fine as of late.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:58 pm

I have had no issues with my Fidelity AMEX 2% cash-back card in the last year. It is my daily-use credit card.

There have been obvious phishing e-mails related to this card which I report as spam to my e-mail provider. They do look legitimate enough that I can imagine some cardholders clicking on them. Ouch!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:04 pm

I use Fidelity AMEX 2% for everything except gas, I've had no issues in at least a year, I don't remember the last time I had an issue.

kcb203

Post by kcb203 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:29 pm

I've got the FIA Visa and it gets shut down about every 60 days for some bogus security issue or another. And I've had a new card every 4-5 months or so the last two years, which is a pain because I have a lot of auto-pay accounts linked to it.

nolapepper

Post by nolapepper » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:34 pm

No wonder! My card was declined last week because I made two purchases at the same time (one for myself and one for school). I did not have time to call at that time and had to use a different card.

Topic Author
linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:35 pm

Very grateful for all of the replies. Thanks!
Serviced by Bank of America?! Egad, no wonder it's horrible.

rob

Post by rob » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:36 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:They are so bad I would love to ditch the card but that 2% is so juicy.
This sums up my position exactly.... I would drop them in a second but for the 2% on my amex and mastercard.
Last edited by rob on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Downtown

Post by Downtown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:36 pm

I've had similar issues. This is an example of the company erring on the side of excess security vs. encurring potential losses from fraud. I'd like it better if they'd relax a little bit. Until we take our business elsewhere, the status quo will endure. Please choose another card!

Alskar

Post by Alskar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:01 pm

kcb203 wrote:I've got the FIA Visa and it gets shut down about every 60 days for some bogus security issue or another. And I've had a new card every 4-5 months or so the last two years, which is a pain because I have a lot of auto-pay accounts linked to it.
+1. My Fido AMEX got shutoff while I was in Denver to be at my father's dead bed. The plane ticket and car rental in Denver were charged to my Fido AMEX so they should have been able to figure out I was in Denver, but despite this they shutoff my card causing the hotel to freak out. Luckily I had my Quicksilver card with me. That's about the 5th time I've had to use my backup card because my Fido AMEX was shut off.

On Saturday I got yet another notice saying my card "may have been compromised" so they're sending me a new card. This is the 4th time in the past 12 months I've had to go through this. That's an average of every 3 months. I can't decide if FIA Card Services has just become hyper alert or if there really have been that many potential compromises.
Lagom är bäst

mikep

Post by mikep » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:07 pm

I agree .. I go through this as well. I get gas and my wife got it an hour later at the same station was enough for them to start declining things. I wouldn't have this as my only card for sure.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:29 pm

I had the same problem. It's fixable.

I asked to speak to the second level rep at the security phone number, and told them that I wanted to use the card more but the regular declines on transactions were a barrier. They looked at my account, saw that I had a lot of declines, and made a change to the account.

Since then I haven't been declined.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:52 pm

Our experience is that FIA has problems working outside your billing address state or when traveling in general.

We have condos in two states. When we travel to one or the other I call FIA and tell them we will be at this location for 2 months. I've been doing that for years. Same locations year after year. We arrive, all goes well for several days. We charge many hundreds/thousands for food, clothes, furnishing, etc. All go through. A week after we arrive we're buying a plant in a Lowes and the card is denied. I use another, it works. I call FIA and get apologies and a promise it won't happen again. Except it does. It's happened at least twice a year for 5 or more years, at both our homes. Always the FIA AMEX, never another. They confirm my notice is in the record and have no further explanation. They're unable/unwilling to explain why it worked for thousands for a week and then gets bounced for $25. Then we go back to the other state and sometimes have it happen it reverse: OK for a week; bounced a few days later for $90 at a supermarket that we always use.

I've asked several times to flag the account with two valid locations. We spend about half the year in each location. I'd expect FIA to "have an app for that." I'm told there is not. Just call each time and they'll handle it. All very pleasant on the phone. Except it happens again.

They have given me the direct number to their FIA (AMEX/VISA) fraud desk: 800-383-0618 This bypasses all the back and forth of calling the number on the back of your card. A live person answers almost immediately and fixes things. Yes, I've had to use it at least twice. It's on speed dial on my phone.

When my card is denied I'm to call them directly so they can lift the hold then and there. Like I'm supposed to hold up a grocery line while they fix it.

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:03 pm

This is my go-to card for everything other than gas and groceries. Recently we traveled for a week and notified FIA in advance. They asked for a list of what states we'd be in. Two days into the trip a purchase got declined. I used another card and figured I'd call them when I got back to the house (to be fair, the purchase that was declined was the 3rd drugstore purchase in the same town in an hour, as we were stocking up on supplies for the elderly relative we were visiting, so I have no doubt that looked odd (RiteAid, Walgreens and CVS all in a short time).

Got back to the house and by chance just a few minutes later FIA called my cell to ask if the declined charge would have been legit. I confirmed that plus the other purchases and the rep said there would be no more trouble, and indeed everything was fine after that. That was the first decline in the 4 years we've had the card.

GetRichQuick

Post by GetRichQuick » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:11 pm

I have both the Fidelity AMEX and Visa and this has happened to me multiple times with both cards. I tried complaining, having notes added to my file, calling in advance, and even speaking to second-level experts. What seemed to work was personally pleading with Fidelity that if they didn't fix the issue, I would move everything my wife and I had to another firm.

Even with that, I have changed my spending habits such that all of my recurring charges are on the Fido Visa and the daily charges on the Fido AMEX. That way, if my AMEX is frozen, I can just use another card and do not have to login to multiple sites and update my credit card information for all of my recurring charges.

Good luck.

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

fidobogo

Post by fidobogo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 pm

I've had a Fidelity Amex 2% for a year, use it every 1-2 days, at bricks&mortar and online, and am reasonably happy with it. I think I had an online charge declined last year, but no problems I can recall since then. I haven't traveled with it, though.

People complain about the web site. The web site for Fidelity Amex 2% is exactly what I want: I only want it to let me download a PDF and QFX file each month once a month, and let me occasionally check my rewards balance on demand. I don't want a credit card site to do anything more. I like paying via my bank's Bill Pay, and I like recording annotations of each charge in GnuCash rather than on some card's site. This all works fine for me.

My only complaint with the Fidelity Amex 2% is that I don't like waiting for the rewards balance to reach at least $50 before it's paid out. One of my favorite little pleasures is recording monthly bond distributions in GnuCash, and I'd love to do this for card rewards as well.

I heard that Fidelity is considering changing its card partnerships, or maybe they're just negotiating with FIA/BoA. If they do end up wanting to switch me to a new card, I'll want it to still be the best primary card for me, and for the move to not adversely impact my carefully-nurtured credit score.

Topic Author
linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Isn't Amex losing tons of merchant fees when all of us have to use our backup cards so often?
heartwood wrote:They have given me the direct number to their FIA (AMEX/VISA) fraud desk: 800-383-0618 This bypasses all the back and forth of calling the number on the back of your card. A live person answers almost immediately and fixes things. Yes, I've had to use it at least twice. It's on speed dial on my phone.
Thank you for that, heartwood. I have no doubt I will be using that number in the future.

Zott

Post by Zott » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:53 pm

I'm surprised to hear these experiences. I've had the card for several years, and don't recall ever being declined (although I've received many new cards over the years due to hacks--including the one about a month ago, and it was the first in some time). I use it for everything, including purchases at our second home in another state. Maybe it's because my spending is mostly of relatively small amounts and mostly day-to-day things like groceries and gasoline. Keeping my fingers crossed, I like the substantial cash rewards automatically flowing to my Fidelity account.

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:36 pm

I've had mine shut down three times so far. All were when I made more than one charge at the same merchant quickly in a row. They called my cell and I confirmed and it was turned right back on. I carry a visa from Chase for these instances. You can't blame them because they have to eat the fraud
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

southbay

Post by southbay » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:35 am

i have this card and was recently declined. that day i had spent close to $1k at a store i don't normally shop at, then i went to spend another $400 or so at a store i rarely shop at. this behavior must have flagged the card. their security seems a bit tight, but not enough i want to cancel the card. i use this as my primary card and rarely have problems, when i do i use my back-up Visa card.

stinkycat

Post by stinkycat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:17 am

I had my card shutdown once. But reading the comments i should consider myself lucky. Can't beat the 2% though.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:41 am

MoneyIsntEverything wrote:Since the Citi Double Cash seems to be the best 2% cash back alternative to the Fidelity AMEX, for the benefit of the OP and anyone else considering a switch, it would be great to hear from a few more people comparing frequency of problems with the Fido AMEX and Double Cash.

This would be especially helpful if people are cardholders of both cards and can compare directly. TIA!
I have both. No problems, no complaints with the Citi Double Cash card. There's no annual fee and the Citi website is a lot better than the FIA website.

I haven't used the Fidelity 2% Amex since I put the Citi card in my wallet.

roamin survivor

Post by roamin survivor » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:38 am

Yes, it's just excessive fraud loss prevention. I just had my first decline a few weeks ago, called the next day, and was explained the fraud declination. Apparently for me, it was trying to use the card at the pharmacy. The charge was pretty large, several hundred dollars, and apparently, there have been fraud issues with people buying expensive medication.

I was lucky to have another card on me, but I will agree they are taking it pretty far. No idea if chip/pin will help these issues, but I'm still content with the card, using it whenever I can. Probably piss off a lot of retailers as well with my low value purchases.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:54 am

I think I've gotten a call or two in hundreds of thousands of dollars I've put on the card. Not too bad.

My biggest credit card annoyance, however, comes when I try to buy a lot of gas at a gas station. I use the PenFed card, but I don't think it's the card. It's the stations' policies. I usually notice it when I want to fill up the truck and the boat. I might be buying $300+ of gas. So the pump often shuts off when I get to $75-100. What a pain to have to run your card 3 or 4 or 5 times to get a fill-up. By about the third time, the pumps won't take the card at all so I either have to use a different card (sacrificing the 5% back) or go inside and guess how much I have until I'm full (super pain there because it is impossible to get right.) Even worse if I'm trying to use that card to fill the truck, the boat, and maybe another car at the same time. Obviously I can understand why it looks fraudulent, but still a pain. It takes long enough to pump 80-170 gallons but with all the card swipes and walking inside it might take me close to an hour to fill the truck, the boat, and the spare gas cans.

I think in the future I'll go inside and tell them to turn the machine on and put $1000 on it. That way I can buy all the gas I like in one fell swoop and they'll just credit me the difference on the card.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Tier1Capital

Post by Tier1Capital » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:06 am

This happens to my Fidelity AmEx constantly. Last time was for a monthly rx at Walgreens where I pay the same amount each month at the exact same Walgreens store. On the phone, the FIA rep sounded pretty frustrated at things and apologized a few times. The rewards are great but it's almost not worth the nuisance.

Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:26 am

I've had this card for about a year and put around $2,500 in charges on it monthly and only remember being "declined" twice. I went to another place right after and it went through with no problems.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:08 am

I've had the card for three or four years.. maybe more, and have had it declined once only for an extremely large (>20K) purchase. That was corrected with a phone call and the charge was resubmitted and approved. No other issues using the card for many charges totaling near $2K monthly.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:11 am

EmergDoc wrote:My biggest credit card annoyance, however, comes when I try to buy a lot of gas at a gas station. I use the PenFed card, but I don't think it's the card. It's the stations' policies. I usually notice it when I want to fill up the truck and the boat. I might be buying $300+ of gas. So the pump often shuts off when I get to $75-100. What a pain to have to run your card 3 or 4 or 5 times to get a fill-up. By about the third time, the pumps won't take the card at all so I either have to use a different card (sacrificing the 5% back) or go inside and guess how much I have until I'm full (super pain there because it is impossible to get right.)
I think the Penfed 5% back only works at the pump. If you pay inside, it is 1% (they think you might be buying food, and the 5% is only for gas). So your solution of telling the clerk to let you pay $1000 at the pump is the way to go.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:19 am

William4u wrote:
EmergDoc wrote:My biggest credit card annoyance, however, comes when I try to buy a lot of gas at a gas station. I use the PenFed card, but I don't think it's the card. It's the stations' policies. I usually notice it when I want to fill up the truck and the boat. I might be buying $300+ of gas. So the pump often shuts off when I get to $75-100. What a pain to have to run your card 3 or 4 or 5 times to get a fill-up. By about the third time, the pumps won't take the card at all so I either have to use a different card (sacrificing the 5% back) or go inside and guess how much I have until I'm full (super pain there because it is impossible to get right.)
I think the Penfed 5% back only works at the pump. If you pay inside, it is 1% (they think you might be buying food, and the 5% is only for gas). So your solution of telling the clerk to let you pay $1000 at the pump is the way to go.
that could be a problem. It isn't $1000 at the pump, it's $1000 at the counter. It's still for gas though, so hopefully Pen Fed can tell.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

runner9

Post by runner9 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:56 am

EmergDoc wrote:
William4u wrote:
that could be a problem. It isn't $1000 at the pump, it's $1000 at the counter. It's still for gas though, so hopefully Pen Fed can tell.
I can't find the thread but I know there is one on here where a poster says they realized looking at there statement that transactions that occurred in the store, even for gas, did not get 5% back, only those done at the pump.

IPer

Post by IPer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 am

This happened once in the beginning, went through the automated process (in my opinion the OP should be thankful and should not have
hung up until was finished) one time, the card was unblocked and (I should be quiet here) was never blocked again, been using it
almost a year now, we'll see. Personally I am glad for the systems that do this if they are designed intelligently enough to do it only
for charges that seem out of line.
Read the Wiki Wiki !

michelef

Post by michelef » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:46 am

We have the Fidelity AMEX 2% and Citi Double Cash cards and have only had difficulty with declines with the AMEX.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:37 am

We've had both the FIDO Amex & Visa cards since retirement (early 2007) and have used them both in/outside the US.

We have never had them rejected (we notify FIA when we travel) and the only problem was that the AMEX was replaced due to a suspected security issue with a range of cards. However, even that did not impact us other than having to update some auto-charges (which are tracked on a spreadsheet, so it only takes a few minutes to change, if needed).

We've used both of them for cars and home improvement charges to the extent the vendor was willing to take the hit on the credit card. In most cases, we've been able to charge up to $15K with no problem.

FWIW,

- Ron

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 am

EmergDoc wrote:I think I've gotten a call or two in hundreds of thousands of dollars I've put on the card. Not too bad.

My biggest credit card annoyance, however, comes when I try to buy a lot of gas at a gas station. I use the PenFed card, but I don't think it's the card. It's the stations' policies. I usually notice it when I want to fill up the truck and the boat. I might be buying $300+ of gas. So the pump often shuts off when I get to $75-100. What a pain to have to run your card 3 or 4 or 5 times to get a fill-up. By about the third time, the pumps won't take the card at all so I either have to use a different card (sacrificing the 5% back) or go inside and guess how much I have until I'm full (super pain there because it is impossible to get right.) Even worse if I'm trying to use that card to fill the truck, the boat, and maybe another car at the same time. Obviously I can understand why it looks fraudulent, but still a pain. It takes long enough to pump 80-170 gallons but with all the card swipes and walking inside it might take me close to an hour to fill the truck, the boat, and the spare gas cans.

I think in the future I'll go inside and tell them to turn the machine on and put $1000 on it. That way I can buy all the gas I like in one fell swoop and they'll just credit me the difference on the card.
That happens with Discover Card too. I suspect all credit cards work this way. I agree it can be an annoyance.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

William4u

Post by William4u » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:47 pm

runner9 wrote:
EmergDoc wrote:
William4u wrote:
I can't find the thread but I know there is one on here where a poster says they realized looking at there statement that transactions that occurred in the store, even for gas, did not get 5% back, only those done at the pump.
I recall that thread too.

William4u

Post by William4u » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:49 pm

I've had similar problems with the Fido Amex. It happened a few times when traveling. It happened once when overseas, and we lost the ability to use the card until we returned to the U.S. Next time we travel, we will call and speak to a supervisor.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:03 pm

William4u wrote:I've had similar problems with the Fido Amex. It happened a few times when traveling. It happened once when overseas, and we lost the ability to use the card until we returned to the U.S. Next time we travel, we will call and speak to a supervisor.
I am not trying to discourage you from speaking to a supervisor, but we've done that, several times. I do suggest that you carry another card as well when you travel. This has been happening to us at least 2x a year for 5 years.

We notify every time we travel; they read it back to me; they confirm previous travel notices in the file, seeing that its usually the same out of state location. I often ask to speak to a supervisor to confirm.

We get denied each time we travel out of our billing address state, and sometimes after we return. It's usually for $30 to $90 items in Lowes or Home Depot out of state or our regular supermarket at the billing address.

We have never been denied on a real-AMEX v. FIA. Never on our VISA card. We've gotten calls from real-AMEX and VISA about possible fraud, followed by cancelled cards and overnight replacement (must ask for FedEx else they do snail mail) but never a denial. It's all a FIA problem.

From my comment in this thread above
heartwood wrote:

They have given me the direct number to their FIA (AMEX/VISA) fraud desk: 800-383-0618 This bypasses all the back and forth of calling the number on the back of your card. A live person answers almost immediately and fixes things. Yes, I've had to use it at least twice. It's on speed dial on my phone.

When my card is denied I'm to call them directly so they can lift the hold then and there. Like I'm supposed to hold up a grocery line while they fix it.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:52 am

Yep it's a running joke between my wife and myself (and another friend who has one). We no longer put autopay items on the card because we seem to get a new one every six months. Got one last week, in fact. We were anxious about using it at a recent French Laundry dinner, but decided to risk it for the extra .5% over our Cap One. We used it at a few other Cali places that day to train their system, and fortunately, it was not declined...

That said, they often find legitimate fraudulent usage (like last week). I think it's related to the huge hack they had a while back.

TIAX

Post by TIAX » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:04 am

This card's auto-pay feature is awful. On other cards you can easily enable and disable auto-pay (or change banks) at any time, this one only activates if you submit the application some time before a bill is generated and the bill states that auto pay is active. The website is also terrible. I wish I could switch to Capital One - great website.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:27 am

TIAX wrote:This card's auto-pay feature is awful. On other cards you can easily enable and disable auto-pay (or change banks) at any time, this one only activates if you submit the application some time before a bill is generated and the bill states that auto pay is active. The website is also terrible. I wish I could switch to Capital One - great website.
It bears repeating that the Citi Double Cash card pays 2% (ok... 1.99%) back and the Citi website is about 3000 light years better than the FIA website.

Seriously, I haven't used my Fidelity Amex since I received the Citi Double Cash card.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:27 am

I was thinking of getting the Fidelity Amex card this summer and started reading the user feedback on the Fidelity site. There were a lot of negative feedback like the comments above so I held back to see if it was a transient problem. Well after a couple months of persistent negative posts, Fidelity withdrew the user comments on their website. So much for transparency. I think Fidelity needs to work directly with Amex rather than FIA.

I got the Amex blue cash preferred instead - 6% groceries up to $6K total/yr and 3% gas purchase. There is a $150 incentive so that pays for the first two year annual charge. Already made a couple hundred rewards so far in 4 months and not one denial or any other problem.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

frequentT

Post by frequentT » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:33 pm

Yes! Seriously annoying!

I got this card to use at Costco to replace the Costco Amex. I had a falling out with the real Amex, and fired them. When Costco starts its new program with Visa, this card will be relegated to the bottom drawer.

FIA is a second rate CC company for sure. They think their fraud algorithms are so clever....if you so much as breathe outside your home state, you are frozen. They have replaced my card with a new one SO many times. They never tell you what was breached.

A couple of darts to additionally, that I canthrow at FIA:

1) weak year end statement with little ability to slice and dice for tax prep.
2) they refuse to issue my DW a card with a different number so we understand which of us spent how much and with which merchant and make sure the charge is valid.

I have heard from friends with Bank America cards, that BA is shortening the time that the customer has to report a fraudulent charge--so be on the look out with a change in terms on this card also.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:36 pm

linenfort wrote:
I appreciate that Amex is trying to protect me and themselves, but I'm thinking of canceling the card because it gets declined so often. This is probably at least the fifth time. Not the fifth charge but the fifth day over the years, that I had to whip out a backup card.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Fidelity informed me one day that I was being issued a new credit card number as a safety precaution. There was no fraud on the account. All my utility bills were automatically charged to the Fidelity card and I had to switch everything to another card. It had also taken time to set up the auto payment because it wasn't as simple a process as on other cards. Overall, I was disappointed with this card because I felt their over-vigilance resulted in a lot of wasted time for me. I switched everything to Chase (and haven't had any such problems with them) and cancelled the Fidelity card. It's been a couple of years since I had the Fidelity credit card and I definitely don't miss them.