Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:31 am

I'm going on a trip in December where I'll be spending about $500 on hotel rooms. I'm considering signing up for the Barclay's credit card to get the $400 travel reward credit. I'll probably cancel within a year to avoid the $89 fee. Has anyone does this and how does the travel reward credit work?

takeshi

Re: Sign up for Barclay's Arrival+ Card...yes or no?

Post by takeshi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:33 am

If you don't know how it works then why are you considering it? Don't just look at the amount of the sign on offers for credit cards. Such due diligence is something you need to do for any card you're considering. The Barclaycard site has the details. Have you read them?

xjz

Post by xjz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am

I have an Arrival, not the Arrival+, but I assume it works much the same way. You accumulate miles as you spend on the card. Once you've saved up enough miles, you can redeem them for statement credits on the Barclaycard website. You only get $0.005 per mile if you redeem on non-travel charges, but you get $0.01 per mile if you redeem on travel charges. It isn't perfectly clear what is considered "travel" and what is not (it's based on how the transaction is coded), but in my experience, all airlines, all hotels, all travel agents, and all public transportation expenses I've used have counted for it. You have up to 120 days after a travel expense to redeem your points against it.

Gustie13

Post by Gustie13 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:17 am

Once you have the card and an account you can go to 'Manage Rewards' then 'Use My Miles' followed by 'Travel Statement Credits'. Any eligible travel purchases will be listed and you can apply your rewards/points/miles to the charge to offset it.
If you're considering getting a credit card in order to offset some trip expenses you may also want to look at cards that provide free nights as a signup bonus. Its a good way to stay at hotels you might otherwise not want to pay for.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
takeshi wrote:If you don't know how it works then why are you considering it? Don't just look at the amount of the sign on offers for credit cards. Such due diligence is something you need to do for any card you're considering. The Barclaycard site has the details. Have you read them?
Because I'd first rather get feedback from like minded consumers before reading a bunch of credit card fine print. IMO that is the first step in due diligence.