Should I leave Federal Job for a Private Sector Job?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
confusedFed

Should I leave Federal Job for a Private Sector Job?

Post by confusedFed »

Long time reader and first time poster...

I am at a road where i think i need some advise from bogleheads.

I have been working for federal govt for last 7 years in a highly visible agency. I work in the policy making and compliance division of the Agency. As its a highly visible division, its very political by nature, and chances of advancements are pretty low to slow. I am a mid GS-13 making about 103,000. I got an offer from a private company for a senior leadership position, for 165K+25% target bonus, 3 weeks leave,9% 401k match. The position involves considerable amount of traveling. Benefits are not as great as fed, i.e. pension, leaves, etc. however its considerable more amount of money. DW is also a fed at GS14 so i dont care much for medical benefits as we can buy through my wife.

I would like to hear from my fellow bogleheads, should I take the position? What are the downsides (obvious one is less job security)

Here is our financial picture in brief

Maxing out TSPs. Current value : ~450k
Primary residence mortgage - 460k (Value 650k)
Rental property mortgage left - 200k (Value 335k), rent pays the mortgage
Taxable account - 130k
Kids - 8 and 3.
Plan to start 529 and Roth from this year

Plan with the additional income:
Max-out Roth IRAs
5k per kid 529
savings will be invested in the index funds (3 fund portfolio)

Am I thinking straight?
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Should I leave Federal Job for a Private Sector Job?

Post by RadAudit »

What does your wife think about it?

Is your current job at risk with this upcoming election? How will it change with a possible change in administration in 2017?
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Guest9876

Post by Guest9876 »

If you are at a "highly visible" agency and are a rather senior career civil servant you should bear in mind that now is a good time to cash out. There are advantages and disadvantages to waiting until (1) during and (2) shortly after a presidential campaign, as I am sure you are aware. If you have an offer right now, that offer or similar offers might not be available during the turnover period.
aj44

Post by aj44 »

deleted
Last edited by aj44 on Tue May 05, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
confusedFed

Post by confusedFed »

RadAudit wrote:What does your wife think about it?

Is your current job at risk with this upcoming election? How will it change with a possible change in administration in 2017?
My job wont be at risk with the upcoming election but may have policy effects based on how the administration views industry that we regulate. DW is concerned about the traveling (upto 50%) as we have two small kids and she would have to pretty much run the show when I am not around. Currently no traveling and very predictable schedule with some teleworking.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

confusedFed wrote:

My job wont be at risk with the upcoming election but may have policy effects based on how the administration views industry that we regulate. DW is concerned about the traveling (upto 50%) as we have two small kids and she would have to pretty much run the show when I am not around. Currently no traveling and very predictable schedule with some teleworking.
I would hate to travel that much, and DW and I don't have kids yet. I don't think anybody looks back on their life and wishes they had spent less time with their kids.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

This. Your wife should be primarily driving this decision, as she would be the anchor in your family household for income and retirement stability. I was the federal employment anchor in my family which allowed my wife to take more employment risks. I think you're in a good position to take great employment risks -- my own wife did, but she later regretted leaving her federal employment -- in the end it all worked out with juggling childcare and careers for her and our family of 3 children. My wife left her federal job to raise our children and then went back in the workforce in a non-federal job. Does your wife have any desires to stop working for the Government and pursue something else, as your employment in the private sector might dampen that prospect for her? If things don't work out for you in the private sector, what are the prospects for you to get back with the feds?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I believe that to survive in a job with 50% travel, you should really want to travel. I had that attitude and desire when I was younger and loved the whole game of staying in hotels and getting points and combining business travel with vacation plans. After several years, the thrill wore off and I moved to a job with only car travel. You really want to consider this. 50% is a lot of time away.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
RadAudit

Post by RadAudit »

When I was going through school - back when dinosaurs roamed the campus - I was warned to be aware of unrealistic social contracts.

So, please excuse this rather blunt question; but, what specifically in your background qualifies you for this job and a 65% increase in pay? I don't doubt your competence; I'm more concerned about why they want you. And, to a more important matter, how long do you think that your competitive advantage will last. Until the next election? Until ...

I use to be employed by a corporation where one department would raid another department for a particular employee that had a unique qualification which had a limited shelf life. When the job was done, the employee then found himself in a new department without the qualifications necessary to succeed in that environment. It wasn't pretty to watch.
Last edited by RadAudit on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

What problem would you be trying to solve by taking this job? Are you bored? Don't like your job? Don't like your co-workers? Want to travel more? Or does it just boil down to getting more money?

What problems would/could be created if you take this job?

I see your spouse's concern about the travel as a big problem myself. The only way I'd take a job that would impact my spouse that much would be if it was the spouse's suggestion in the first place. Perhaps you don't see it this way, but it seems like this job would make your spouse a single parent half time. That might not be pleasant.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Yeah, that travel thing would be a nonstarter for a job change in my family. 50 percent away from home; means 50 percent less time with children and unloading a disproportionate burden on my spouse. Money can't replace time and your presence in the life of your children and spouse -- you might pay for this in the long run.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

ChrisC wrote:Yeah, that travel thing would be a nonstarter for a job change in my family. 50 percent away from home; means 50 percent less time with children and unloading a disproportionate burden on my spouse. Money can't replace time and your presence in the life of your children and spouse -- you might pay for this in the long run.
I'm going to jump in on this band wagon. Traveling is just a PIA, even more so when you have family. I did just enough of it to decide I don't like it. The best part when you get home, the spouse wants to take a vacation and spend some nights in a hotel room, yeah that's just something I want to do, not.

I'm lucky now, most of my travels are local projects, I let the young kids do the long distance traveling :wink:
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

OP,

There are really too many ingangibles here to get much hard advice. From a financial standpoint, it sounds like you'll for sure make more in the private sector. Do you have any experience working outside the government? It may be very different. There a substantial pros and cons to fed jobs ("the Golden Handcuffs") - as an above poster said, you are probably working a strict 40 hour workweek with 8 hours of annual leave per pay period and high job security at a 6 figure salary, able to telecommute, and your wife is in a similar boat making more. Do you want to trade that for 50% travel and a much more vague set of demands on your personal time? Do you enjoy the 9-5 of a government job, or do you long for a position where things are more dynamic? Depending on your lifestyle, you and your family are probably making "enough", so I'd personally weigh all the non-financial factors pretty heavily. Also, you know your agency better than me, but once you leave that job it may be hard to move back in if you decide later you want to - those handcuffs are real. All that being said, working for a bureaucratic agency is not without its demands on the soul, so if you're not happy there that's important.

edited to say: I don't know your agency or location, but reasonable guess your in the DC area. You can probably make a much more lucrative career outside of the feds, just be sure you're looking hard at the lifestyle consequences of your move.
nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer »

aj44 wrote:My wife is a Fed and I work for the private sector and it works well for us, I am on her benefits.

One thing I would consider is quality of life, you are likely now putting in 8 hour days with no overtime for a 6 figure job with great benefits and incredible job security.

The job you would take is more money, but has to be a lot more hours and stress.

All that being said I would trade my job for my wife's in a second (I would especially if I had younger kids), but this is a decision you have to make.
Thanks for your insight. I have heard this sentiment from 2 or 3 others regarding fed vs. private jobs. Sometimes I wonder if this is always and actually true, that all feds only work 8 hour days and that all private sector employees are worked to the bone. In any case, I've already made my choice and hope to be relaxing throughout my own 128 hours/week plus 10 holidays plus 104 hours/year very soon.

I'm taking a position with 10-25% varying travel, and look forward to bringing the family along when possible. Nice to travel when half the airfare and the room are already covered. Probably not feasible to do this often with 50% travel. That's a lot of travel, OP, are you sure your marriage can handle it?
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel
delamer

Post by delamer »

* That is a considerable bump-up in pay, but have you figured out how much you would net after taxes?
* How likely is the bonus?
* How much of the net pay would end up going to additional household expenses due to your travel? Would your wife be getting more carryout food, would you need daycare for longer hours, would you need a lawn service, etc.?
* Does the job offer the chance for further advancement if you pay your dues with all the travel? Or would you be stuck in travel mode indefinitely?
* Could your wife reduce her hours (and pay) in light of your new schedule?

Couples make it work in all kinds of job situations, but the compromises that are willing to make are dependent on the two people (and kids) involved.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dbCooperAir wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Yeah, that travel thing would be a nonstarter for a job change in my family. 50 percent away from home; means 50 percent less time with children and unloading a disproportionate burden on my spouse. Money can't replace time and your presence in the life of your children and spouse -- you might pay for this in the long run.
I'm going to jump in on this band wagon. Traveling is just a PIA, even more so when you have family. I did just enough of it to decide I don't like it. The best part when you get home, the spouse wants to take a vacation and spend some nights in a hotel room, yeah that's just something I want to do, not.

I'm lucky now, most of my travels are local projects, I let the young kids do the long distance traveling :wink:
I turned down an even bigger raise about a year ago because it would have required travel, all over the world, at least half time. With two young kids, my wife flat out said no even though it would have allowed her to stay home. She said she would focus a little more on her own career to make up the difference so we could meet our financial goals...and she has. Turned out to be the right decision - I accepted a job with that company's largest competitor 5-months ago and my wife has nearly doubled her income with two promotions since. Not nearly as much money upfront (~35% raise as opposed to 90%), but I barely have to travel, have more growth potential and way more job stability, and it is a better company in every way imaginable (I'd be shocked if the other company was in existence in 5yrs). Work/life/balance; all that travel is a dealbreaker for me.
novillero

Post by novillero »

As a GS13 and his wife a 14, I doubt that they are on any political chopping blocks. They may never be rich, but they'll certainly be comfortable, have a good lifestyle and be set for retirement. Having one parent retired from federal service and knowing many federal employees, I'd recommend staying with the current job, putting the years in, retiring and then then looking for a job you'll hate.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

nanoanalyzer wrote:
aj44 wrote:My wife is a Fed and I work for the private sector and it works well for us, I am on her benefits.

One thing I would consider is quality of life, you are likely now putting in 8 hour days with no overtime for a 6 figure job with great benefits and incredible job security.
Thanks for your insight. I have heard this sentiment from 2 or 3 others regarding fed vs. private jobs. Sometimes I wonder if this is always and actually true, that all feds only work 8 hour days and that all private sector employees are worked to the bone. In any case, I've already made my choice and hope to be relaxing throughout my own 128 hours/week plus 10 holidays plus 104 hours/year very soon.

I'm taking a position with 10-25% varying travel, and look forward to bringing the family along when possible. Nice to travel when half the airfare and the room are already covered. Probably not feasible to do this often with 50% travel. That's a lot of travel, OP, are you sure your marriage can handle it?
I'm a fed at a smaller agency, and I can say that I regularly answer emails or have phone calls from home at night; I am "on call" so to speak on my flex days (i.e. if it is my day off, I can't really be completely offline unless someone is covering for me); and when we have deadlines, we work late. There was even a stretch were I worked 12-14 hour days for about six months straight, but that was to complete a new system deployment, and it hasn't happened in years. Having said all of that, on many days I do leave on time, I do have a great work/life balance, we have great benefits and job security.

So, no, not always true, but probably true quite a bit of the time.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

A someone who has made $100,000 a year and then almost $170,000 a year - let me tell you - nothing changes. Noticeably higher income tax bill, some additional free income to spend or save; but nothing changes about the way you live everything else being equal.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I'd look around for a GS-14 position that wouldn't require alot of travel or moving. Is that a possibility?
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer »

Atilla wrote:A someone who has made $100,000 a year and then almost $170,000 a year - let me tell you - nothing changes. Noticeably higher income tax bill, some additional free income to spend or save; but nothing changes about the way you live everything else being equal.
Does it allow you to retire earlier? That may be the operative here. As I read it, "putting in years" on FERS and retiring early is not as simple as it used to be on CSRS. If you're late to start (age 25+), you're basically looking at MRA anyway.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel
black jack

Post by black jack »

jpelder wrote:I would hate to travel that much, and DW and I don't have kids yet. I don't think anybody looks back on their life and wishes they had spent less time with their kids.
Many posters have already noted the likely bad impact of that much travel on your family life, but I want to reiterate jpelder's observation above: nobody looks back on their life and wishes they'd spent less time with their kids, especially during that period when their kids actually want to spend time with them (i.e., before about age 14).

One other point: the fact that you're on this site means you're interested in planning your financial future. When you have a federal job (two fed jobs in your household!) you can plan your financial future (to a certain degree - life still happens), because you've got job security; when you're in a private sector position, you can plan your financial future, but can you count on the job that underpins that plan always being there for you? That ability to plan your financial future by itself is worth a lot of money, as is the peace of mind of never having to lie awake at night worrying that some market change, or change in bosses, is going to get you invited to "pursue success elsewhere."

Between you and your wife you make plenty, can count on making plenty more, and can count on a pension to supplement your savings and Social Security.

I'm a fed with a family; I've thought a few times of going back into the private or nonprofit sectors, but have always ended up opting to be content where I am, to sleep well at night (in my own bed!), and to enjoy the time with my family.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

I'm a fed with a family; I've thought a few times of going back into the private or nonprofit sectors, but have always ended up opting to be content where I am, to sleep well at night (in my own bed!), and to enjoy the time with my family.
Yes, Keep in mind,private sector today is 24/7.
All the Best, | Joe
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

No way. If I was a Fed and made that kind of :moneybag then I don't think it could get much better.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

I may be facing a similar decision myself. I've been mulling over what would get me to leave and 1) I'm not happy in my current position 2) I'm working on novel issues that won't be novel soon 3) as someone in my early 40s I don't know that I'm ready to keep this particular job for the next 20+ years 4) the considerable upside in the private sector.

I make quite a good salary now (non-GS scale) and I've had a couple of people approach me over the past few years to jump. For a job with heavy travel, personally with a working spouse I would need to make enough to add an au pair or nanny to the mix to make it work. But in my case, my spouse is in the private sector. I don't think it is so much the extra money that you might get now but what you might make in 5-10 years which makes it enticing.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

[/quote]
I would hate to travel that much, and DW and I don't have kids yet. I don't think anybody looks back on their life and wishes they had spent less time with their kids.[/quote]

But there are also many miserable 40, 50 and 60 something at Federal agencies who regret staying in the government for so long that they can't jump to the private sector and are counting the days until they can retire.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Leemiller wrote:I may be facing a similar decision myself. I've been mulling over what would get me to leave and 1) I'm not happy in my current position 2) I'm working on novel issues that won't be novel soon 3) as someone in my early 40s I don't know that I'm ready to keep this particular job for the next 20+ years 4) the considerable upside in the private sector.

I make quite a good salary now (non-GS scale) and I've had a couple of people approach me over the past few years to jump. For a job with heavy travel, personally with a working spouse I would need to make enough to add an au pair or nanny to the mix to make it work. But in my case, my spouse is in the private sector. I don't think it is so much the extra money that you might get now but what you might make in 5-10 years which makes it enticing.
I'm a big proponent of the "enough" view, as in being content with making enough, not always looking to make more.

But if a private sector job enables you to make enough in a few years to be ready to retire, that's a different matter (though if you start making a lot more, your calculation of how much you need to have in order to retire may expand, and then you're back on the hedonic treadmill, no closer to retirement).

The other consideration is if you're unhappy in your job. Can you fix what's making you unhappy while staying within your organization? Have you explored possibilities at other agencies?

There are no perfect solutions; there are always tradeoffs.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
black jack

Post by black jack »

Leemiller wrote:
I would hate to travel that much, and DW and I don't have kids yet. I don't think anybody looks back on their life and wishes they had spent less time with their kids.
But there are also many miserable 40, 50 and 60 something at Federal agencies who regret staying in the government for so long that they can't jump to the private sector and are counting the days until they can retire.
Quite a few people on this site who aren't feds seem to be counting the days until they can retire, to judge by the number of "early retirement" threads.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

joe8d wrote:Keep in mind,private sector today is 24/7.
This is not true in all cases... I don't even know if it's true in most cases...

I have great work/life balance, even though I'm in IT and on-call 24/7... but I rarely get called, and when I do, my boss lets me take a comp day in return.
azanon

Post by azanon »

kaudrey wrote:I'm a fed at a smaller agency, and I can say that I regularly answer emails or have phone calls from home at night; I am "on call" so to speak on my flex days (i.e. if it is my day off, I can't really be completely offline unless someone is covering for me); and when we have deadlines, we work late. There was even a stretch were I worked 12-14 hour days for about six months straight, but that was to complete a new system deployment, and it hasn't happened in years. Having said all of that, on many days I do leave on time, I do have a great work/life balance, we have great benefits and job security.

So, no, not always true, but probably true quite a bit of the time.
I hope you were properly compensated for all of that overtime. Don't flirt with an ADA (Antideficiency Act) violation. You cannot in-debt the government.
Last edited by azanon on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
azanon

Post by azanon »

confusedFed wrote:I would like to hear from my fellow bogleheads, should I take the position? What are the downsides (obvious one is less job security)
As a fellow GS-13 who's 16 years in, i'd keep the federal job even with just 7 years. Let's say you end up with a high 3 of 130K, 23 years from now in FERS (estimating inflation raises, promotions if they happen, etc). That's going to be a 39K/year pension for the rest of your life. If you were to value that pension using the 4% rule, that would be the near equivalent of 1 million in a 60/40 portfolio. This all on top of the security and less travel of a federal job vs. a throw "caution to the wind" private sector one.

I think it also comes down to your particular life strategy. I prefer the wbern mindset, which is that the way the game is wisely played is not "to win", rather to not lose. And you're definitely not losing as a married couple who's GS-14 and GS-13.
NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker »

RadAudit wrote:So, please excuse this rather blunt question; but, what specifically in your background qualifies you for this job and a 65% increase in pay? I don't doubt your competence; I'm more concerned about why they want you. And, to a more important matter, how long do you think that your competitive advantage will last. Until the next election? Until ...
Just to note that it's not really a 65% pay increase. Once you factor in pension, leave, and other benefits, and assuming that the hours will be longer in the private sector job -- especially with up to 50% travel -- the per-hour compensation is probably roughly equal (and may even be higher at the federal job, depending on the assumptions you use to present-value the pension) UNTIL you factor in the 25% bonus target. That's an extra $40,000 pre-tax, but (1) it's uncertain, and (2) it will be taxed at the highest marginal amount at both the state and local taxes, so let's call it $24,000.

An extra $2,000 a month is a nice "pro," but there is a lot on the "con" side in moving back to the private sector.

Basically, I do not find it suspicious that someone making $103k in a fed job is offered $165k base in a private sector job. Even with that jump, the move probably only makes financial sense if the person is expecting a nice bonus and some pay raises in the private sector that will outpace the typical fed gov raises.

Of course, as others have pointed out, there are many non-financial factors that are probably more important to this decision for the OP.
peregrine

Post by peregrine »

I think the main thing that would concern me here is the large value of your mortgage. It seems as though you live in a fairly high cost of living area and you need both salaries to pay the mortgage. Consider a bad scenario where you work for this new company about 3 years and then get laid off. You could then quickly negate the financial benefits of this new position. Also do a quick estimate of what your taxes will be with the new job, assuming that you get the bonus. The after tax situation may not look as good as you think.
jodydavis

Post by jodydavis »

I agree with the others who say that the critical variable is the travel. Question: have you traveled for work that much before? If so, then you know what you are getting into. If not, then I would think seriously about the impact of traveling that much, especially with young kids. Unless you really enjoy being on the road (and have an incredibly supportive spouse), being away from kids/home for 50% of the time will be extremely challenging, not just for you, but also your spouse and kids. You're talking about a *significant* change in lifestyle for your whole family, and it's important to get a handle on that when deciding whether the financial benefits are worth it. Personally, having traveled for work that much (and more) before, I would not take that tradeoff unless I knew that the travel was only temporary (i.e. for 3 years so I could retire early). Good luck with the decision.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

Living a two-income lifestyle with children is hard enough, even with federal jobs. If you want that private sector job with all that travel, then your wife should have the option of being a stay-at-home.
RadAudit

Post by RadAudit »

I tend to agree with the well written, well reasoned concerns posted in this thread. But, a number of us may not be viewing this opportunity from the OP's point of view.

I don't like the idea of running through airports to catch a flight departure that has changed gates four times just to get on a cramped plane and seated in economy next to a screaming kid, not my own. I don't like the idea of living 1/2 of my life in a different hotel room every night. And, I don't particularly relish the idea of coming home to a family that thinks this life is particularly glamorous and trying to cram a week's worth of living with the wife and kids into a weekend while simultaneously cutting the grass and trimming the hedges. And, after doing this while trying to repress the nagging suspicion that my job can be eliminated at any time because some CEO wants to increase shareholder value, the allure of a steady job and adequate income may seem nice. But, I'm old.

If OP has worked seven years in the government, this offer may be his last chance to escape to the wonderful world of the private sector. If he wants to move out of government, now might be the time to go. If he doesn't go now, I would guess he should prepare himself for the long glidepath to a federal pension and get happy about it. So after some some reflection I say - if he's thought about it - go. Opportunities await and they are there if you want them, work for them and get lucky. But, just remember, the world has come a long way from my father's time where all that was expected from a man was to get and hold a job that put food on the table. I doubt one can do all that is expected now days from 30.000 ft. on another flight to another hotel, so be prepared for the consequences. Good luck.
TorturedRegret

Post by TorturedRegret »

If there was no travel involved, how would the posters respond to giving up the $100k gov't job?
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

HomerJ wrote:
joe8d wrote:Keep in mind,private sector today is 24/7.
This is not true in all cases... I don't even know if it's true in most cases...

I have great work/life balance, even though I'm in IT and on-call 24/7... but I rarely get called, and when I do, my boss lets me take a comp day in return.
Well you are lucky.When I was working " Salary Exempt's" had to work long hours with no extra pay. I love that new car commercial where the private sector employee dares to leave his job at his official quitting time.
All the Best, | Joe
wander

Post by wander »

It somehow makes me think that Op and his wife just barely make it with their salary. With average American, their income is probably more than enough. I told myself I made enough 14 years ago and stopped looking for anything else. To the Op, as long you guys are happy, then go for it.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

I m.not going to.be technical about this at all. If you are making 100k plus in a very stable stress free job with great benefits and.pension, please ask yourself again why you are.leaving? Remember that your.current.job offers more time off to spend with kids = good for quality of life and making memories vs new job with more travel time more stress.and less stability, however, more pay which is great, but what do you want more pay for ? A better quality of life I'm assuming. Seems counterintuitive that you would give up your quality of life to make more money with the assumption that it.will improve your quality of life.
westie

Post by westie »

FERS is a lousy retirement compared to the old CSRS. Even the feds have tightened the noose on a good retirement income.