What is Your Plan B if Quicken dies? [Intuit selling Quicken unit]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
beyou

Re: What is Your Plan B if Quicken dies? [Intuit selling Quicken unit]

Post by beyou »

Still use Quicken 2001
Does what I need, keeps transaction history and cost basis to help me
make decisions when I re-balance and to do my taxes.

That said, I could easily start over with checking accounts using any new software that is cheap and easy to use,
options discussed many times on this board.
I have little desire to spend time setting up a new process, until I absolutely must.
lhl12

Re: What is Your Plan B if Quicken dies?

Post by lhl12 »

FuzzyButtons wrote:
Wolf wrote:
lhl12 wrote:I moved from Quicken to QuickBooks a number of years ago and never regretted it. QuickBooks has much greater functionality and customizability (if you are willing to invest some time in learning it).
Is Quickbooks as advanced as Quicken or Mint for personal budgeting / cashflow? If so, I would consider giving it a look. My biggest issue with Mint right now is that it doesn't allow earmarking within accounts. I.e. If I want to use 1 savings account to save towards 3 goals, etc.
I'd also like to hear from people who are using QuickBooks for personal financial tracking. I always assumed it would be overkill. Is it because you also own businesses and/or have lots of rental income?

My finances are very simple, but I'm back on Quicken now and I find I just enjoy playing with it. I recently found my old Quicken files from '93-2001 and upgraded them to the current format (took installing several intermediate step versions of Quicken). It's interesting to see, but since I was not paying any attention to my finances from '01-'14 I haven't tried to integrate the two sets.
QuickBooks is a general purpose, dual-entry accounting system. It is probably overkill for most people, and doesn't have some of the user-friendly features that things like Mint and others have.

I do have more complexity in my finances than is typical, and I am also very particular about how I like things organized and presented. I understand accounting and computer software well enough that I can configure all my finances on QuickBooks to run exactly the way I want them to (with associated reporting exactly the way I want it.) If you aren't similarly comfortable with both accounting and software, then I'd probably stick with something more straightforward.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Anybody use MoneyDance?

Seems to do the basics of what Quicken used to so.
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

GnuCash is my backup plan.

A few years ago when I was annoyed at Quicken, I tried to convert. After seeing that it wasn't trivial (the Quicken transactions imported fine but the GnuCash double-entry bookkeeping meant I had to think about adjustments and catch-all accounts), I went back to Quicken. But at least now I know what I'd be getting into.
geekpryde

Re: What is Your Plan B if Quicken dies?

Post by geekpryde »

etarini wrote:I have no Plan B; I just hope that Quicken survives.
+1
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

RooseveltG wrote:The future of Quicken is uncertain now that it is being spun off by Intuit. Is there really a viable web based alternative with staying power that matches Quicken's ability to manage investing and checking?

If Quicken's days are numbered, do you have a Plan B?

Thanks in advance.

Roosevelt.
Hi RooseveltG,

Quicken is a good product and I was surprised to read it was being spun off by Intuit. I believe it has a valid purpose to help many folks with budgets, cash flows, investments, and so forth.

We used Quicken for many years. However, we stopped using Quicken in 2008, for no other reason than it was not helping us at that point and to free up time for other purposes.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn »

Gave up on Quicken many years ago when I migrated to an iMac. Currently using Moneydance and GnuCash. Moneydance is simple and in my view does a better job with reports and investments. GnuCash takes a little longer to learn to use, but is also excellent. In both cases importing data from Quicken was straightforward, but did require a bit of adjusting.
Toons

Post by Toons »

FYI: :happy
Quicken Deluxe 2016- 29.99 ,Amazon
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

Toons wrote:FYI: :happy
Thanks, just ordered. It's actually 29.85 for a CD, 29.99 for a download code. With Prime and free shipping, I saved the .14 :sharebeer

As are many of us, I'm on the"only upgrade every three years when I'm forced to" program. And I usually wait and buy it on eBay or some place for around $20 or $25. But at $30, it's close enough.

I won't install it until I finish all my year-end stuff, maybe March or so. Plus that way I can wait and see what mission-critical bugs have been discovered.

Thanks again!
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
Toons

Post by Toons »

astrohip wrote:
Thanks, just ordered. It's actually 29.85 for a CD, 29.99 for a download code. With Prime and free shipping, I saved the .14 :sharebeer

As are many of us, I'm on the"only upgrade every three years when I'm forced to" program. And I usually wait and buy it on eBay or some place for around $20 or $25. But at $30, it's close enough.

I won't install it until I finish all my year-end stuff, maybe March or so. Plus that way I can wait and see what mission-critical bugs have been discovered.

Thanks again!

Glad to help :happy
I looked hard at the .14 savings,,,,
I spent it,,,downloaded :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

obgraham wrote:Anybody use MoneyDance?

Seems to do the basics of what Quicken used to so.
I tried to use MoneyDance yesterday. I downloaded it and imported my Quicken Files into it. Most of the accounts were completely innacurate from Quicken. The categories were not there at all and everything in my Checking Account was marked as a Mortgage payment.

Worst of all, after the import the MoneyDance function was so slow it was unusable. I would double click the icon to start up MoneyDance and nothing happened until 5 minutes later when the function would Show up. Navigation was equally slow as it did not respond within any reasonable time from. It looks like a 'no-go' for me. :-(
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I just did upgrade to Quicken 2015, and every other time I open it now, it wants me to upgrade again to Quicken 2016. Personally, I don't think that it'a great product. They got greedy with financial institutions, and what they charged for online bill pay. Many institutions just dropped them. Including my bank. So it's nothing but an expensive registrar for me.
I plan to change to some other method of accounting for my finances.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Toons

Post by Toons »

rustymutt wrote:I just did upgrade to Quicken 2015, and every other time I open it now, it wants me to upgrade again to Quicken 2016. Personally, I don't think that it'a great product. They got greedy with financial institutions, and what they charged for online bill pay. Many institutions just dropped them. Including my bank. So it's nothing but an expensive registrar for me.

Did you uncheck "the remind me later box",on the upgrade screen?
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Toons wrote:
rustymutt wrote:I just did upgrade to Quicken 2015, and every other time I open it now, it wants me to upgrade again to Quicken 2016. Personally, I don't think that it'a great product. They got greedy with financial institutions, and what they charged for online bill pay. Many institutions just dropped them. Including my bank. So it's nothing but an expensive registrar for me.

Toons,
Yes I uncheck it every time, but it pops back up again a few days later. Hounding to me.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Toons

Post by Toons »

rustymutt wrote:
Toons wrote:

Toons,
Yes I uncheck it every time, but it pops back up again a few days later. Hounding to me.
Rusty,
Check out this fix :happy
https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/107373 ... at-startup
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Boy that is tempting I have one more year on 2014 but I also have premier so I can track investments. I think I will hold out for 2017 assuming there will be a 2017.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Toons

Post by Toons »

SimonJester wrote:
Boy that is tempting I have one more year on 2014 but I also have premier so I can track investments. I think I will hold out for 2017 assuming there will be a 2017.
I upgraded from 14 to 15 to 16.
You are just fine with 2014.
Very little difference between 2015 and 2016 :happy
MastersChampion

Post by MastersChampion »

I made my switch to GnuCash late last year.

My upgrades of Quicken never worked flawlessly, and my latest version started gagging intermittently when loading.
GnuCash imported my Quicken stuff pretty easily, and while it has it's quirks, it doesn't crash on me.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Toons wrote:
rustymutt wrote:
Toons wrote:

Toons,
Rusty,
Toons, I did that also to no avail. LOL they know how to hard core market.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

MastersChampion wrote:I made my switch to GnuCash late last year.

My upgrades of Quicken never worked flawlessly, and my latest version started gagging intermittently when loading.
GnuCash imported my Quicken stuff pretty easily, and while it has it's quirks, it doesn't crash on me.
GnuCash scares me somewhat. I know nothing of the people who wrote the software. Chrome sends out a flash warning to me when I try to fetch it off Cnet. One can't be to cautious nowadays.

What year did you win the Masters? I love the game of golf myself. I've got my hole in one certificate on the wall here in my office. LOL and I'm blind in one eye. Can't wait for warmer weather again.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Toons wrote:
rustymutt wrote:
Toons wrote:

Toons,
Rusty,
I had the same problem. I solved it by switching to Personal Capital.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
longinvest

Post by longinvest »

rustymutt wrote:
MastersChampion wrote:I made my switch to GnuCash late last year.

GnuCash scares me somewhat. I know nothing of the people who wrote the software. Chrome sends out a flash warning to me when I try to fetch it off Cnet. One can't be to cautious nowadays.
GnuCash is open source; as long as you get the executable from the official site, it will be OK. I have been using it for years.

Its official home is http://gnucash.org/ . That's the safest location to download it from.
Bogleheads investment philosophy | One-ETF global balanced index portfolio | VPW
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

longinvest

Ok, that makes sense to me now. I'll go to their site and download it. Thank you for the explanation.
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

quantAndHold wrote: I had the same problem. I solved it by switching to Personal Capital.
Personal Capital is a "No-Go" as it only has the 3 months of transactions that Banks and Credit Cards have available on-line. So getting a list of your expenses Last Year or YTD is not possible. This is also true of MINT and any other 'Web Based' Finance tool.

Does not work for me or probably most folks here.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

The new (online) YNAB has history for as long as you've entered it. While they won't download your history from forever ago, once you've started using it, it doesn't look like anything gets thrown away.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

archbish99 wrote:The new (online) YNAB has history for as long as you've entered it. While they won't download your history from forever ago, once you've started using it, it doesn't look like anything gets thrown away.
So, where do they store your data and how big is the storage space per user? Do they convert your data from Quicken into their storage space?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

BahamaMan wrote:
quantAndHold wrote: I had the same problem. I solved it by switching to Personal Capital.
Personal Capital is a "No-Go" as it only has the 3 months of transactions that Banks and Credit Cards have available on-line. So getting a list of your expenses Last Year or YTD is not possible. This is also true of MINT and any other 'Web Based' Finance tool.

Does not work for me or probably most folks here.
Pretty sure that's not the case. When I first started using it, it loaded up 3 months of transactions, but since then, it's kept every transaction back to 3 months before I started using it.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
wshang

Post by wshang »

I'm been using MSM SD for years. Got probably 20+ years on that and still going strong.
The cure shouldn't be worse than the disease.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

No, there's no conversion (even from old versions of YNAB at the moment, though they're working on that). The storage is in AWS, and there's been no stated limit. They have declined the idea of attaching receipt images to transactions for now, because of the space it would consume, so I would conclude they're confident that just transaction data will grow slowly enough to retain.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Like others have said, I am a 20+ year user of Quicken and use it on an almost daily basis. I am not thrilled with Quicken in that each "upgrade" introduces new bugs and seems to take away some features while adding marketing and gimmicks. I now keep getting prompted to upgrade from 2015 to 2016 even though I keep unchecking the remind me later box.

I need something that handles investments, downloads (and uploads bills payments) from all my investment, bank and credit card accounts and produces good reports. Hopefully, Quicken will continue in a better way with the new company.

If it dies, I haven't done enough research to know if any of the other products will do what I need.

I'm a software developer and would probably write my own if it wasn't for all the interacting with financial institutions which would be complicated to implement.

I don't need all those planners and forecasters. Reports, registers, scheduled transactions, downloads, investments and I am good.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

deleted - obsolete post
Last edited by TimeRunner on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
pondering

Post by pondering »

Is YNAB all online or are the 2 separate versions?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
crumbgrabber

Post by crumbgrabber »

I ditched Quicken for iBank about 7 years ago and haven't looked back. It has its issues but it's light years ahead of Quicken.

My bigger concern is that banks will start killing off transaction downloading in the form of qfx or ofx files--I imagine Quicken was lobbying/negotiating hard for this with banks. I am not comfortable using aggregators/scrapers to collect transactions because of the security risks.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

crumbgrabber wrote:I ditched Quicken for iBank about 7 years ago and haven't looked back. It has its issues but it's light years ahead of Quicken.

My bigger concern is that banks will start killing off transaction downloading in the form of qfx or ofx files--I imagine Quicken was lobbying/negotiating hard for this with banks. I am not comfortable using aggregators/scrapers to collect transactions because of the security risks.
That's Apple only, so not an option for us Windows users. Looks interesting though.
tdogz

Post by tdogz »

crumbgrabber wrote:My bigger concern is that banks will start killing off transaction downloading in the form of qfx or ofx files--I imagine Quicken was lobbying/negotiating hard for this with banks. I am not comfortable using aggregators/scrapers to collect transactions because of the security risks.
Banks pay Quicken to offer QFX files. There has been some noise about the creation of an open API that could be used by any bank and any software or website. The UK is currently moving toward a standardized, open API for all of their banks.

http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory. ... emid=27129
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

pondering wrote:Is YNAB all online or are the 2 separate versions?
There are two versions. YNAB4 was desktop software which optionally used Dropbox for sync with the mobile clients. All the docs about it are still available at http://classic.youneedabudget.com/, though I don't see an obvious "purchase" link -- obviously, they'd like you to switch to the new one.

The newly-released version of YNAB (no number, it's intended to be perpetually up-to-date) is online -- docs at http://www.youneedabudget.com/. The mobile apps sync by calling their APIs directly.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

re: YNAB. From what I could determine, the new version (>4) is available by subscription only. Thus, you cannot just buy it and use it in perpetuity - you're on the hook for an ongoing fee each and every month ($5) or year ($50).
BlueShoe

Post by BlueShoe »

re: YNAB. Lots of folks are unhappy about the move to online/subscription-only. I played around with nYNAB, but no way am I giving my bank credentials to a 3rd party. The new YNAB will eventually allow you to manually import QIF files, but at the moment you can't. There are quite a few features missing in nYNAB.

I'm new to YNAB and was impressed by the amount of drama caused by the change. A devoted bunch of fans. YNAB moved their forums behind a login due to all the complaining...

We ended up switching from Quicken to Moneydance. Pretty happy with the decision so far, but only had it for a month or so.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I am so impressed!! I don't use any tracking software. I simply go to the website where I have my holdings. I pay my bills via auto pay. I pay off my credit cards several times a month. Maybe when I retire ... maybe.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Update for those looking at IGG Software's iBank. As of today, it's being renamed to the "Banktivity" ("bank" + "activity") suite of products. See this blog post: https://www.iggsoftware.com/blog/2016/0 ... new-ibank/ . Shrug.

I'm still running both Quicken 2014 Windows on a MacBookPro using a Windows 10 VM running VMWare Fusion, as well as running iBank (Banktivity) for Mac. I think I will bring myself to make the leap from Quicken within another month or two as I become proficient with iBank (Banktivity) for Mac. It's not quite as good as Quicken in a few areas (reporting, updating securities pricing, account reconciliation as three examples), but it's good enough and eliminates running a Windows VM on a Mac just to use Quicken for Windows. (I do keep a few other VMs around for specialized software that only runs under Windows, but it's not a daily use pattern like Quicken is.) FWIW.
Raiddinn

Post by Raiddinn »

Even if they spin off Quicken, that just means that another company is going to be running it other than Intuit.

99% likely the new entity running it isn't going to shut down operations the next day.

Indeed, for such a company it will be their only product and they will have a strong incentive to keep supporting it if they hope to survive the spin off.
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

Raiddinn wrote:Even if they spin off Quicken, that just means that another company is going to be running it other than Intuit.

99% likely the new entity running it isn't going to shut down operations the next day.

Indeed, for such a company it will be their only product and they will have a strong incentive to keep supporting it if they hope to survive the spin off.
Agree! -- I welcome the news, Maybe the new company will fix the Bugs in a future release, instead of just changing the color of the register.
donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

Quicken was just sold to a private equity firm.

Don't they load up a company with debt, extract cash from anything that moves in that place, and then BK it? It happened to Mervyn's, Caesars Entertainment, Sports Authority, Linens N Things, Borders, Cambridge Industries, Claire Stores, Energy Future Holdings.

There's basically no way this ends well, right?

From the email, full of claptrap business speak:

-----

Exciting News from the Quicken Team

To our valued Quicken customers,
I’m Eric Dunn, the head of the Quicken business and an avid daily user of Quicken. Today, I am pleased to share some news about the business, our commitment to improving our products, and my enthusiasm about the future of Quicken.
Back in August, Intuit announced plans to find a new home for Quicken. We have now identified a buyer who shares my passion for the Quicken product and for devoted customers like you. H.I.G. Capital is a leading private equity firm with a track record for investing in and building strong businesses. They decided to invest in the Quicken business because of their deep appreciation of the Quicken product, our loyal customers, and Quicken’s commitment to helping consumers manage their finances. They are confident, as am I, that Quicken will thrive with increased investment, leading to product improvements and advances that will allow Quicken to continue to serve you well for decades to come. Looking ahead, I am excited that I will be working with them as the future owners of the Quicken business – and, as a significant personal investor in the transaction, as a part-owner myself.
My team and I know you count on Quicken to help you stay on top of your finances, and we are committed to continuing to improve your experience with Quicken. We’ve already started the journey with the new Quicken 2016 products that launched in November with new features to help consumers stay on top of their bills. In the last six months, we’ve also increased our investment in U.S.-based phone support. This is just the start of what’s to come – I invite you to watch this short video to learn more about why I’m excited about our future together: (note: video was a youtube, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtj1qpKcpI
Eric Dunn, SVP & GM, speaks candidly About Quicken

Thank you for being a loyal Quicken customer. I look forward to having you join us on this next chapter of Quicken!
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

donfairplay wrote:Quicken was just sold to a private equity firm.

Don't they load up a company with debt, extract cash from anything that moves in that place, and then BK it? It happened to Mervyn's, Caesars Entertainment, Sports Authority, Linens N Things, Borders, Cambridge Industries, Claire Stores, Energy Future Holdings.

[/i]
I agree this is unlikely to end well. I think Quicken users (of which I've been one for about 20 years) are about to be aggressively "monetized". I was vexed enough at the way Quicken forced upgrades to maintain online services every 3 years, but expect that trend to get worse. Mind you, I also don't need to borrow trouble. I'll wait and see. Quicken is a decent enough program as is, and I can keep my current version even if they cut off my online services. Not particularly painful to update my relatively few mutual funds prices manually every few weeks.
Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs »

Just sayin... wrote:re: YNAB. From what I could determine, the new version (>4) is available by subscription only. Thus, you cannot just buy it and use it in perpetuity - you're on the hook for an ongoing fee each and every month ($5) or year ($50).
I use YNAB 4 and am quite happy with it. It's a downloaded version not a subscription. YNAB 5 may be subscription only.
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

donfairplay wrote:Quicken was just sold to a private equity firm.

Funny you should mention that. I happen to know HIG. In 2010, they bought a company I am intimately familiar with, Cardell Cabinets. By 2013, after sucking every dollar out of it they could, they shut it down and declared bankruptcy. Thousands left unemployed, vendors unpaid, obligations discarded.

They didn't owe me any money, and I have no dog in this hunt. But I knew many people at Cardell, and I heard the same set of facts from many different POVs. Of course, this is just one anecdotal story, and HIG is a big big company. So YMMV.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

astrohip wrote:
donfairplay wrote:I happen to know HIG. In 2010, they bought a company I am intimately familiar with, Cardell Cabinets. By 2013, after sucking every dollar out of it they could, they shut it down and declared bankruptcy. Thousands left unemployed, vendors unpaid, obligations discarded.

They didn't owe me any money, and I have no dog in this hunt. But I knew many people at Cardell, and I heard the same set of facts from many different POVs. Of course, this is just one anecdotal story, and HIG is a big big company. So YMMV.
I wouldn't be so fast to say "sucking every dollar out of it they could" but I'm pretty sure if that can't make any money on Quicken it will get shut down. It is a big risk that I don't see any way of hedging.

One positive note is that the current management is now part owner.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Tried and still trying to convert to Quickbooks...difficult at best.
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

I use spreadsheets and do screen shots of confirmations of my funds when a change is made....

I balked at Quicken years ago.. .when I got to the part where is says they are not in anyway responsible for the integrity of their (my) data.

My fund companies do not all do auto downloads that work well and easily (to my perspective).

Excel works fine for me and since I need to check all major transactions anyway... I see do not see that Quicken adds either more accuracy, security, nor efficiency to my life.

M
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Getting ready to stop running Quicken (on Win 10 VM on a Mac) and Banktivity in parallel, and drop Quicken. Today, Quicken 2014 prompted for an update which then failed. The Quicken support site had a thread with about a dozen folks with the same experience, and the thread had several dozen likes. Support said the cure was to download and run the R9 "Mondo" update, which did fix the problem. The update release notes say the update is about requiring the user to sign into Quicken using their Intuit ID (Turbotax, Quicken, etc). I'm not sure it enhances security, but it should enhance marketing. :wink:

The Banktivity folks seem open to suggestions for improvements, and the app is maturing. Quicken, I will bid thee farewell at the end of this month.