what is Excise Tax Bill on Car???

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mobi999

what is Excise Tax Bill on Car???

Post by mobi999 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:21 am

Hi All,
I was on short assignment for 3 months in Boston where I bought a new car. I have since left that company and moved to another state. I recieved a mail asking me Excise Tax bill worth 316 USD from Town of Burlington. I dont know what it is ? Now I am in Missouri and should I pay it to town of Burlington or call them and tell them I have relocated. Kindly help me understand how it works. I thought when I bought car that all taxes are paid already....

Mudpuppy

Re: what is Excise Tax Bill on Car???

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:39 am

Two seconds on Google yielded this: http://www.burlington.org/town_governme ... mation.php

It says what to do when you move out of state. Did you do that?

dailybagel

Post by dailybagel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:33 am

Right, the excise tax on cars in Massachusetts is similar to property taxes on real estate. It is calculated based on statewide formulas, but payable to the town in which you register your car.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/local-officials ... xcise.html

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:38 am

If you left the state, you also would have deactivated your playes on the mass rmv site or sent them in. You are then emailed, or mailed a returned plate form. This is automatically sent to your insurance company. You then can cancel your insurance and use the form to request an abatement from your town.

If you have not returned your plates or cancelled them, you are still paying for insurance and will continue to until you turn them in. If you paid for the year in full for insurance, you will get a pro rated refund. But only if you cancelled the plates.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mobi999

Post by mobi999 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:14 am

@ Mudpuppy, Sorry if this post annoyed you. Obviously I googled and had gone through that page as the first thing :) My biggest confusion was what is excise bill, haven't I paid taxes as part of purchase. Thankfully the post below explain that.

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:30 am

mobi999 wrote:@ Mudpuppy, Sorry if this post annoyed you. Obviously I googled and had gone through that page as the first thing :) My biggest confusion was what is excise bill, haven't I paid taxes as part of purchase. Thankfully the post below explain that.
Yeah, Virginia does that as well. When I moved there from Pa, I got my first "county personal property tax" in mail and didn't know such a thing existed. Good news, like some said above, is that they will prorate if you can provide paperwork proving change of residence.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 am

Just out of curiosity, is this tax in addition to purchasing your vehicle tag?

That tax isn't a small tax at all. Ouch!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:38 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:Just out of curiosity, is this tax in addition to purchasing your vehicle tag?

Broken Man 1999
In CT , its an addition. The problem is the tax is assessed by all 169 towns and the mill rates differ drastically. In Harford, its about 75 mills; where I live its about 1/2 that and in wealthy Greenwich it about 10 mills (lots of big mansions so mill rate is low relatively speaking). I just paid tax on my 2013 Subaru Outback of $533. In Hartford it would be double that and in Greenwich, about $150. All the revenue goes to the local towns. Legislature just passed bill to cap the Mill rate on Motor Vehicles at 30. The state will reimburse the difference to the towns where the mill rate exceeds that. In effect, a tax break for people who live where mill rates are high (mostly the low income cities). And vehicle tags run about $40/year.

mobi999

Post by mobi999 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Yes this is in addition to what I paid at time of purchase. This letter came after 3 months.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:Just out of curiosity, is this tax in addition to purchasing your vehicle tag?

Broken Man 1999
Yup, there is a 6.25% sales tax on vehicle purchase, plus the yearly registration fees. If you think the exercise tax is bad now, try before Proposition 2 1/2. Then it was 6.6% each year.