Think about moving from St Louis to Spokane how is the weather different?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rec7

Think about moving from St Louis to Spokane how is the weather different?

Post by rec7 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:07 pm

Anybody moved from Missouri to Spokane?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

texasdiver

Re: Think about moving from St Louis to Spokane how is the weather different?

Post by texasdiver » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:14 pm

Winters are probably not going to be that different. Lots of cold and gray. Spokane probably gets more snow. But summer in Missouri is probably a lot hotter and more humid than in Spokane which is going to be more dry.

stratton

Post by stratton » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 pm

A lot of Spokane is in a valley and it has temperature inversions which can lead to dirty air.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:30 pm

I was raised in St. Louis and I used to live in the Northwest, but I was only through Spokane a few times.

Spokane is in climate that is known as "high desert" so the humidity will be a lot lower and there will be a lot less rain.

Spokane is also a lot farther north which makes a lot more difference in the length of the day than many people realize. I didn't look it up but I would think that on the longest and shortest day of the year Spokane would get an hour or so more or less daylight than St. Louis. You can look of sunrise and sunset times for the city on the internet.

The weather will be so much different that it would be hard to say if one is better than the other, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks everybody. It might help some if I can get out of the valley.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Helodriver

Post by Helodriver » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:04 pm

I lived near Springfield and near Knob Noster for short periods of time. I live in Spokane now. Specific to your question about weather Spokane is a good four season town. Yes we get inversions in the winter when high pressure stagnates the air. Resulting in fog and lower air quality. Winters can be long but snow skiing is nearby. We don't have the summer humidity or haze. We rarely get severe thunderstorms in the summer. Icy roadways in the winter are similar.

watty's post about day length is interesting I initially did not think it was that significant. According to the star date calendar. On the summer solstice Spokane has 1:07 minutes more daylight. However on the winter Solstice Spokane has 1:02 minutes less daylight than St louis.

Spokane is a great town climate wise. The only thing I have ever missed from Missouri is good BBQ.

OffGridder

Post by OffGridder » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:39 pm

I have lived in the Spokane area for close to 12 years and have traveled to St Louis many times over the years. The winters are cold with a fair amount of snow depending on what elevation or specific location you are at. Lots of micro-climates. Daytime temperatures normally in the mid 20s to low 30s with at most a handful of days below zero. Black ice is a concern without snow when temps hover between just below and above freezing. Freezing fog some days. The past couple years we have had light snow years, particularly this past one. Yes, we have our share of dark cloudy winter days but nothing like west side (Seattle) side of the state. Lots of sunny bluebird winter days too. We have had an usually hot summer so far this year with many temps hitting high 90s and 100s. Normal is 80s with maybe a dozen days over 90 and few over 100. I think we went for 3 or 4 years when we never had a 100 degree day. Still summers are dry, no humidity. Nothing like the extreme humidity in St. Louis. Of course with lack of humidity comes a bit of a fire season which varies from year to year. Not really a threat unless your house is in the woods or urban forest interface. Still we can have some smokey haze as smoke from fires throughout the region disperse across the area. This is particularly a bad year in the fire department given the low snow winter followed by a dry spring and hot summer. In fact there must a fire somewhere right now because there seems to be brown haze in the sky. No tornadoes here though.

Basically a nice even 4 season climate.

If you love the outdoors, including camping, hiking, fishing, hunting and skiing, this is the place.

-Dave
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails." | H.D. Thoreau