Anyone have a cordless electric or robotic lawn mower?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
angelescrest

Anyone have a cordless electric or robotic lawn mower?

Post by angelescrest » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:48 pm

I want to replace my corded electric mower that just died, and have been researching battery operated mowers. The one I'm leaving strongly toward is the Ego, which is 56V. $400.

I've got a third of an acre, flat, and mostly bluegrass.

Any thoughts for those who have a cordless?

I'm also interested in the Worx robotic mower, which has been getting good coverage, for $1000. Set it and leave it. Anyone have one?

SimpleGift

Re: Anyone have a cordless electric or robotic lawn mower?

Post by SimpleGift » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:20 am

angelescrest wrote:Any thoughts for those who have a cordless?
We've used a battery-powered electric mower for about 5 years now and absolutely love it. Ours is an early, first-generation electric mower, a 24-volt, 21-inch EPIC Model EP21H — which I'm not sure is even sold in the U.S. anymore (though we've been able to get replacement batteries and parts for it from Canada).

We have about 6,000 square feet of lawn on a moderate slope and we were initially concerned that it wouldn't have enough power for the job — but it's proven to be a real workhorse, very dependable, with plenty of torque and cutting power, even when the grass is high or wet. We generally get about 30 minutes of run time out of one battery set (which are the sealed lead-acid type).

The features we like best are 1) it's self-propelled, as we can't imagine pushing a heavy, battery-laden mower up and down slopes; 2) it has removable batteries, so the extra battery set can be charged off-board and then dropped into the mower when needed; and 3) it's wonderfully quiet.

These mowers are on the expensive side, but I expect the latest generation, lithium-ion battery models are even better and more efficient than ours, and they are just a real pleasure to use. One of the best purchases we've ever made.
Cordially, Todd

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:09 pm

I'd be thrilled if we got a cordless and it lasted 5 years. Our corded electric just broke down, only after 2 years.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:40 pm

I have an electric and a gas powered mower.

The gas powered is larger, self-propelled and more powerful, so I use that when the
lawn gets long. Otherwise I use the cordless electric.

The cordless is at least 8 years old with one battery replacement, but still going OK.

The robotic lawn mower sounds interesting. I love our Roomba. Maybe I'll wait for the
price to drop. Having two lawn mowers already, I'm not planning on a third anytime soon.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:31 pm

We bought the ego.

We used to have a B&D we bought when we lived in TX and only had to mow every two weeks. It did not have a replaceable battery so it eventually died.

I love the Ego. It mulches so well - it is almost a fine powder. And it actually does OK with thick tallish grass. And the battery really does charge in a half-hour.

The handle is a little long, but that doesn't make it hard to push or anything, it just means you might need some extra maneuvering room. And I don't know if the blade would be damaged, but even little twigs make quite a racket so I thoroughly go over the yard before mowing and get them.

If you are bagging, the bag fills pretty quickly, but it is the perfect size to slip into the paper lawn bags so emptying it is quite neat and easy.

I couldn't do a robotic mower because of the aforementioned twigs and my propensity to leave branches and stuff lying around (I prune, and my spouse bags / stacks the branches for pickup).

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 pm

I have the ego: Chainsaw, Trimmer, Hedge trimmer and the blower.

I really like the ego line.

I am somewhat curious about the new battery powered Echo line... but so far Ego has met my needs.

I have about 2 acres and 3 batteries to do all the ancillary stuff...

the mower I cannot help on. I have a 60" kubota ztr.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Interesting, sounds like the Ego is a good buy. I read a lot of reviews on Home Depot, and it appeared that their customer service was good. Greenworks, I can't really say the same.

Their mower is on sale for $399, and I'm really tempted. Unlike our responsible neighbors, we usually mow every two weeks. So it gets long, although only thick in parts of the lawn. Thick enough that our corded electric bogs down a bit if you go too fast, but maybe I just try to mow too fast, I don't know.

Mainly, my wife would love to ditch the cord, and me, well, I want my mower to last at least 5 years.

Still dream about that Worx robot...I haven't heard anything terribly bad yet. For $1000, I wouldn't ever have to touch my backyard...in theory.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:07 pm

I plan on getting the EGO mower. I've had the EGO blower for a year now and love it. It's as powerful as my old electric blower and almost as powerful as my old gas powered blower. I bought an extra battery and a "quick" charger. While I'm using one battery, the other charges so I can basically blow non-stop forever. I may also buy the weed eater and chainsaw.

Cottage

Post by Cottage » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:53 pm

I just this season started using a Ryobi cordless mower. Purchased at hone depot, came with two batteries and a 90-minute recharger. My total lot is approx. one acre, with maybe a 1/3 acre's worth that gets mowed, after allowing for house, trees, and meadow /native plants areas. I can usually cover about two-thirds of what I have to mow using the two batteries. Depending on grass height and mower height (I usually keep it at the highest setting), the batteries last 20-30 minutes each. A couple weeks ago, I had to mow down an area that had gotten too overgrown, and the Ryobi handled that better than I expected it would. So far I'm very happy with it.