Sychrony Bank - warning

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
Wricha
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Wricha » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:24 pm

If you are thinking of using Sychrony Bank because of few extra bases points. You might want to reconsider :

1. If you use Safari browser (Apple) it is not supported and you can't access your account information. (I spent hours and 3 phone calls to figure out they/Sychrony are the problem)
2. If you use Mint this is not support by Synchrony Bank and will not show up in Mint.
3. The wait time to speak to customer service was 30 minutes on average vs 2 minutes with Ally Bank.
4. I open 2 CDs and was told they were only required to give you account information by regular mail once a month.
5. I think I am stuck with these folks for 5 years. I wanted other people be aware of the problems I experienced after the first week.

Other than that that things are moving right along. :happy

NightFall
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by NightFall » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:33 pm

I have several CD's from them back when they were paying 2.3%. I haven't had any problems, but I don't use Mint or Safari. Why would I need to talk to them?

kaneohe
Posts: 6017
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by kaneohe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:48 pm

3) 3 min wait just now. Are you claiming 30 min avg? for how many calls? made Monday mornings? Perhaps your sample size/sampling technique would be useful to know.

4) what kind of activity would occur on a CD except interest posting once a month?

generally, no problems here.

southbay
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by southbay » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:48 pm

I use them, have no reason to call them. I only needed to ask something via email one time and they got back to me in an appropriate amount of time.

User avatar
Leif
Posts: 2754
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Leif » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:49 pm

Wricha wrote:If you are thinking of using Sychrony Bank because of few extra bases points. You might want to reconsider :

1. If you use Safari browser (Apple) it is not supported and you can't access your account information. (I spent hours and 3 phone calls to figure out they/Sychrony are the problem)
2. If you use Mint this is not support by Synchrony Bank and will not show up in Mint.
3. The wait time to speak to customer service was 30 minutes on average vs 2 minutes with Ally Bank.
4. I open 2 CDs and was told they were only required to give you account information by regular mail once a month.
5. I think I am stuck with these folks for 5 years. I wanted other people be aware of the problems I experienced after the first week.

Other than that that things are moving right along. :happy
1. False. I do it all the time using my Macbook Pro laptop and Safari.
2. Don't know.
3. Not in my experience. I've called perhaps a half dozen times. About 1-2 minute hold at most.
4. ? I can log in anytime to get the balances. They send an email each month informing me my on-line statement is available.
5. I've been with them about 6 months. I've been happy with them. I don't like Ally. They really messed up a CD I planned to open. I have a CD with Ally which comes due later this year. I'm happy that will terminate my relationship with Ally.

dolphinsaremammals
Posts: 2094
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Wricha wrote: 1. If you use Safari browser (Apple) it is not supported and you can't access your account information. (I spent hours and 3 phone calls to figure out they/Sychrony are the problem)
I use SeaMonkey, since it has the old Firefox interface I like. It is an annoyance that the Digital Federal Credit Union, a major cu, website does not work well with this. chat does not work and pdf check images can't be displayed. I have zero trouble with other websites, including chat and pdf. I temporarily use another browser when I absolutely have to see a check image.

ThisTimeItsDifferent
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by ThisTimeItsDifferent » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Synchrony doesn't work with Quicken either, and their new account web pages are kind of broken, leading to multiple $0 accounts for me.
Still, I use them because their CD rates are a bit higher than the competitors, who maybe do support Quicken.

Topic Author
Wricha
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Wricha » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Leif wrote:
Wricha wrote:If you are thinking of using Sychrony Bank because of few extra bases points. You might want to reconsider :

1. If you use Safari browser (Apple) it is not supported and you can't access your account information. (I spent hours and 3 phone calls to figure out they/Sychrony are the problem)
2. If you use Mint this is not support by Synchrony Bank and will not show up in Mint.
3. The wait time to speak to customer service was 30 minutes on average vs 2 minutes with Ally Bank.
4. I open 2 CDs and was told they were only required to give you account information by regular mail once a month.
5. I think I am stuck with these folks for 5 years. I wanted other people be aware of the problems I experienced after the first week.

Other than that that things are moving right along. :happy
1. False. I do it all the time using my Macbook Pro laptop and Safari.
2. Don't know.
3. Not in my experience. I've called perhaps a half dozen times. About 1-2 minute hold at most.
4. ? I can log in anytime to get the balances. They send an email each month informing me my on-line statement is available.
5. I've been with them about 6 months. I've been happy with them. I don't like Ally. They really messed up a CD I planned to open. I have a CD with Ally which comes due later this year. I'm happy that will terminate my relationship with Ally.

Well Lief number 1 maybe false for you but I called them to get online access and they told me after the third call that safari does not work and they are right. The reason for the calls was to gain online access which I think is a reasonable request and I track accounts through mint which supports all other accounts.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 39725
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Don't want to get into a shouting match but I just shrug and accept that Safari doesn't work on every website and I honestly don't care whose fault it is. I have Firefox for the Mac and I keep it handy. I do prefer Safari, but whenever I am having any website problems I immediately try Firefox.

I don't know which is "better" but I have found that Firefox for the Mac appears to work similarly/identically to Firefox for Windows, so any website that bothers to SQA for Firefox for Windows is likely to work with Firefox for the Mac.

By the way, sometimes the problem has to do with plugins and not the browser itself.

If I find a site where neither works then I guess I'll try Chrome again.

My mom said "pick your battles" and for me, personally, the Mac marginalization battle isn't one I care to fight.

(P.S. a lot of websites say Safari isn't supported, even when it works perfectly. They just don't want to be responsible for testing it).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
Leif
Posts: 2754
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Leif » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:49 pm

Wricha wrote:
Well Lief number 1 maybe false for you but I called them to get online access and they told me after the third call that safari does not work and they are right. The reason for the calls was to gain online access which I think is a reasonable request and I track accounts through mint which supports all other accounts.
I have the latest Safari version. You should verify that you do as well. Are you getting the error before or after trying to login? Any error message? Very odd since I've never had an issue logging in. Perhaps its some issue with a browser setting you have?

I don't know if this applies, but I don't use the flash add-on for Safari. I have Chrome for the Mac installed in case I need flash. I don't use Chrome all the time since it gulps battery power.

Kircheis
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Kircheis » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:39 pm

I have been using safari sine I opened an account with Synchrony and it works fine. I talked to a customer rep at the beginning, and I only waited 4-5 minutes. They also send me an email reminder when the interest comes in.

Topic Author
Wricha
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Wricha » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Leif It is interesting they let you use Safari on their site to check rates etc. You log on then it asks for further verification, account number and that is where it breaks down. The folks at Synchony said it works on site (most of the time) but will not work in the sercure section. Chrome also does not work.

True story I had a problem 5 years ago buying muni bonds on a site that did not fully support Safari. When I bought the muni bonds it defaulted to the entire inventory of that bond. I ended up buying $17M worth of bonds with an account that only had a fraction of that amount available. A very intense 24 hours!

whodatheads
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 am

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by whodatheads » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:55 pm

I recently opening some CDs and also found Synchrony Bank much lacking in customers' service, in comparison to Barclays. The latter is just a hair lower in interest rates but feel much more accessible to their representatives.

littlebird
Posts: 1545
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by littlebird » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:01 pm

I had a poor experience with them also. I applied for and received their Amazon 5% rebate card. They only allowed street address (not P.O. box) on their application, so before I even used the card for the 1st time I tried to log on to change my address to my P.O. box. The only place I could find to enter my info was on a page touting various extra cost services, so I was reluctant to enter my info there. I then called them and followed instructions to say my last 4 of S.S. #. Although I'm a native English speaker (maybe a little N.Y. accent), it professed not to understand one of my spoken digits ( did you say "7"?, did you say"4"?) I tried punching "0", and speaking a request for an agent, over and over to no avail. No human ever responded. I finally admitted defeat and cut up the card. Many weeks later I received a query about not having used my card. Using the "reply" arrow, I was finally able to interface with their customer support to tell them to cancel the card.

User avatar
Leif
Posts: 2754
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Leif » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Wricha wrote:Leif It is interesting they let you use Safari on their site to check rates etc. You log on then it asks for further verification, account number and that is where it breaks down. The folks at Synchony said it works on site (most of the time) but will not work in the sercure section. Chrome also does not work.
Do you have the flash add-in for Safari? It really shouldn't matter, but Chrome does have flash built-in. So I'm wondering... When I get home I will try my Chrome browser on their website and see what happens.

If Synchrony told you Safari does not work in the secure section they are wrong, because I use it in the secure section. They are probably just repeating what callers are telling them. They are certainly not computer support. It is probably an add-in or setting issue, or perhaps a software version issue.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 39725
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:25 pm

I see that 2009 some carping malcontent was ranting irritably in this forum about Vanguard's website not working with Safari... and objecting to suggestions that he just use Firefox and live happily ever after!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

OnceARunner
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by OnceARunner » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Safari works fine for me on their website, although their website is a little clunky and probably the least user-friendly of the financial sites I frequently use.

I can confirm that their accounts do not work with Mint.

523HRR
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by 523HRR » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:23 pm

I access my Synchrony account using Safari with no issues. Customer service experience has been fine for me. Web site is user friendly. Linking to other 3rd party accounts for ACH transfers is very convenient. Earning 1.10% preferred rate on high yield account (FDIC insured) is competitive.

tidelandp
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by tidelandp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Wricha wrote:1. If you use Safari browser (Apple) it is not supported and you can't access your account information. (I spent hours and 3 phone calls to figure out they/Sychrony are the problem)
I'm a Safari user who has been with Synchrony since before the name change. I've not had problems accessing account information online or customer service, either on the phone or online. The bank has other quirks; I haven't found access to be one of them. Problem could lie with your version of Safari. Are you using the latest? Ask to speak with the bank's IT department directly. Something similar happened to me with a credit union. I got it resolved after working with its IT staff. Good luck.

User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3408
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:07 pm

I had about a 5 minutes wait and a 1 minutes wait on 2 calls. It was quick to setup the transfer of my SEP IRA.
I've many more problems with several other online banks (including Ally).
Ally, after having CD's for YEARS, wanted me to go through identity verification when I wanted to setup new accounts.
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Leif
Posts: 2754
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Leif » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Leif wrote: Do you have the flash add-in for Safari? It really shouldn't matter, but Chrome does have flash built-in. So I'm wondering... When I get home I will try my Chrome browser on their website and see what happens.
I was successful in logging in using the Chrome Browser on my Macbook. It is a mystery. My version of Safari is 7.1.6 running on OS X Mavericks.

Topic Author
Wricha
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Wricha » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:42 am

Leif wrote:
Leif wrote: Do you have the flash add-in for Safari? It really shouldn't matter, but Chrome does have flash built-in. So I'm wondering... When I get home I will try my Chrome browser on their website and see what happens.
I was successful in logging in using the Chrome Browser on my Macbook. It is a mystery. My version of Safari is 7.1.6 running on OS X Mavericks.

Thanks Leif, I will check my latest version on the road now. I was in FL for winter I may not have the latest version on home computer.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 6245
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:22 am

I don't see why you need any more than those things, especially with respect to a CD. In any event, I'm guessing you invested with this bank because you got a higher rate. Well, not having all these modern indulgences is, I guess, where they save money to pay you more. It's just the way it goes.

JT

Topic Author
Wricha
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Wricha » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Leif,

Using Safari 8.05 still does not work. Thanks for your help. I will give up.

Topic Author
Wricha
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by Wricha » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Leif,

Using Safari 8.05 still does not work. Thanks for your help. I will give up.

ragabnh
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by ragabnh » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:48 pm

I use Google Chrome and it is working fine. I agree their website is not the best.

User avatar
sperry8
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by sperry8 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:58 pm

littlebird wrote:I had a poor experience with them also. I applied for and received their Amazon 5% rebate card. They only allowed street address (not P.O. box) on their application, so before I even used the card for the 1st time I tried to log on to change my address to my P.O. box. The only place I could find to enter my info was on a page touting various extra cost services, so I was reluctant to enter my info there. I then called them and followed instructions to say my last 4 of S.S. #. Although I'm a native English speaker (maybe a little N.Y. accent), it professed not to understand one of my spoken digits ( did you say "7"?, did you say"4"?) I tried punching "0", and speaking a request for an agent, over and over to no avail. No human ever responded. I finally admitted defeat and cut up the card. Many weeks later I received a query about not having used my card. Using the "reply" arrow, I was finally able to interface with their customer support to tell them to cancel the card.
The Patriot act doesn't allow PO Boxes so this is not limited to Synchrony but rather affects all US Banks. Once you prove you have a residence address you can change your mailing address to your PO Box or similar.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282

littlebird
Posts: 1545
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by littlebird » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:08 pm

sperry8 wrote:
littlebird wrote:I had a poor experience with them also. I applied for and received their Amazon 5% rebate card. They only allowed street address (not P.O. box) on their application, so before I even used the card for the 1st time I tried to log on to change my address to my P.O. box. The only place I could find to enter my info was on a page touting various extra cost services, so I was reluctant to enter my info there. I then called them and followed instructions to say my last 4 of S.S. #. Although I'm a native English speaker (maybe a little N.Y. accent), it professed not to understand one of my spoken digits ( did you say "7"?, did you say"4"?) I tried punching "0", and speaking a request for an agent, over and over to no avail. No human ever responded. I finally admitted defeat and cut up the card. Many weeks later I received a query about not having used my card. Using the "reply" arrow, I was finally able to interface with their customer support to tell them to cancel the card.
The Patriot act doesn't allow PO Boxes so this is not limited to Synchrony but rather affects all US Banks. Once you prove you have a residence address you can change your mailing address to your PO Box or similar.
My complaint is that I was not able to contact them to do just that.

User avatar
sperry8
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by sperry8 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:29 pm

littlebird wrote:
sperry8 wrote:
littlebird wrote:I had a poor experience with them also. I applied for and received their Amazon 5% rebate card. They only allowed street address (not P.O. box) on their application, so before I even used the card for the 1st time I tried to log on to change my address to my P.O. box. The only place I could find to enter my info was on a page touting various extra cost services, so I was reluctant to enter my info there. I then called them and followed instructions to say my last 4 of S.S. #. Although I'm a native English speaker (maybe a little N.Y. accent), it professed not to understand one of my spoken digits ( did you say "7"?, did you say"4"?) I tried punching "0", and speaking a request for an agent, over and over to no avail. No human ever responded. I finally admitted defeat and cut up the card. Many weeks later I received a query about not having used my card. Using the "reply" arrow, I was finally able to interface with their customer support to tell them to cancel the card.
The Patriot act doesn't allow PO Boxes so this is not limited to Synchrony but rather affects all US Banks. Once you prove you have a residence address you can change your mailing address to your PO Box or similar.
My complaint is that I was not able to contact them to do just that.
You can email them via their online interface. And I suggest never speaking your digits the systems never recognize them properly. Just type the 4 or 15 digits into your phone and press #.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282

User avatar
David Jay
Posts: 7501
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Sychrony Bank - warning

Post by David Jay » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:52 am

nisiprius wrote:I see that 2009 some carping malcontent was ranting irritably in this forum about Vanguard's website not working with Safari... and objecting to suggestions that he just use Firefox and live happily ever after!
Kids! Can't take 'em anywhere...
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Post Reply