Should my husband become a nurse?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Cindyjrn

Re: Should my husband become a nurse?

Post by Cindyjrn »

EnjoyIt wrote:
Cindyjrn wrote:All I can add is that I don't know where the OP is located, but the pay is obviously wildly different from region to region. So, that might be the first thing you want to check out. How much do nurses make in your area? If it's $30 an hour, no you're not going to make $90k a year, maybe not even $60k. If you're not willing to work OT, you're probably not going to make that either. I'm in SoCal. I'm full time staff at one hospital (benefited) and part time staff at another (also benefited although I only use the 401K and life insurance from this employe). I've been a ER and ICU nurse for going on 20 years. I worked registry for the first 10 years of my career, which is like working for a temp agency that can send you to any one of many hospitals on any given night. It was a great way to break into the business and get top pay while also getting to work at many different hospitals and find out which ones were a good fit and which ones weren't. I started in ICU and I only work in the ER now. I was actually trained in the ER on night shift while working registry which is very rare to have a hospital train you when you're not even an employee of that hospital. I've never made less than $145k in a year and that was once when I had to take 10 weeks off work for surgery and complications from that surgery. It's probably more like an average of $175k over 20 years. This year I'll make over $200k easily. Well not easily, I still have to put in the hours, but the numbers are on pace for that. I also only work night shift, 7p to 7:30a. Same shift I've worked since I started. Night shift is definitely not for everybody, I know many nurses that won't touch a night shift.

Like I said before, the money is there if you're willing to work and I'm willing to work. I have a great support system. My husband has raised our kids and does EVERYTHING for our family involving the house, the kids, the cars, etc. I don't consider myself any different than any man that is out there busting his hump for his family. I won't lie, I love the money, but I also love being a nurse and I feel like every place I've worked has always appreciated me. I feel like I provide my patients with top notch care, day in and day out. My plan is to be fully retired in 15 years, but my husband always jokes that when I "retire" it will means I've cut down to 1-2 days per week. He's probably right. :wink: If your husband has any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.
How do you make that much money as a nurse? Do you work 24 shifts every 4 weeks?
Essentially yes I do. I probably average 5.5 12s per week. And my hourly wage averages out to $57/hour with night shift diff. My last four paystubs, two each from two places, which would cover 4 weeks, had me with 71, 61, 51 and 59 hours. Divided by 4 averages out to 60.5 hours per week. The 51 and 59 were the same two week period, so that was only 9 days out of the 14. I had some classes and because I work night shift, I typically have to take the night before off and the night of because there's no way I'd make it to the class after working and no way I can work the next night with no sleep. So I made it up the next two weeks, 132 hours is eleven 12s. That's typically what I work, eleven 12s in a pay period. A lot of it time and a half, some double.
Workinghard

Post by Workinghard »

Cindyjrn, when you get tired of ED and ICU nursing, there's always home health. Lol. When I was young I loved the pace and variety of the ED and the high-tech opportunities in ICU as well as interactions with family. I can't even imagine earning that kind of money though!
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

Workinghard wrote:Cindyjrn, when you get tired of ED and ICU nursing, there's always home health. Lol. When I was young I loved the pace and variety of the ED and the high-tech opportunities in ICU as well as interactions with family. I can't even imagine earning that kind of money though!
I might be young compared to some people but I don't consider myself young. I'll be 48 tomorrow. I say I've been nursing for 20 years, but it's actually like 18. I finished school right before I turned 30. I'm a hard worker, I always have been. I'll never work anywhere but the ER. I'm one of those people that is what you might call adverse to change. Speaking of work, time for me to start getting ready. I was up early today because I didn't work last night.

Hey, you've got working hard right in your name. You must work hard too. ;)

As one last aside, I don't plan on working this hard forever. We'll be completely debt free in about 5 years, which is when our mortgage will be paid off, knock on wood. We're having solar installed next week, that will completely knock out our electric bill forever, which is our second biggest bill. Our biggest bill at that point will be car insurance or DirecTV. Next year, I have a high school Junior and a Freshman. So kids won't likely be around in 10 years max. That's a big joke in our house, when the oldest will leave the nest. We're figuring by the time he's 28. :mrgreen: :oops: So, when the debt is gone and the kids are gone and our retirement is looking good, I'll have a chance to unwind. What I really like to do is work though, I'm not one of those people that has a bunch of hobbies or interests outside of working, never have been.
island

Post by island »

Error. Duplicate.
Last edited by island on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island

Post by island »

Cindy it's helpful that you provided more details, the fine print so to speak.
People may read your salary and only see dollar signs, gloss over the hard job factor because hey, for THAT salary I can do anything.
But whole different story when you see the number of hours Cindy works per week, including nightshifts, and she has over 20 years of experience and works in a HCOA.

That's a lot different than great,I only work 3 days a week. Even that is prob 3 12 hour days in hard work on the clock. I could do that to free up 2 other typical work days, but not so I could work more of the same. Don't have the desire for that in my 50's.

To each his/her own, but Yellowbird is that what you or your husband had in mind? You said his job is easy now so he might want to practice working those hours by getting a 2nd job now. Not being a smarta$$ about that. Seriously might want to see if long hours are worth it to him and your family, before investing the time and $ in that career path.

BTW, part of the country do you live in and do you work? May have missed or forgotten if you addressed that upstream and not easy to page back on my phone.
Last edited by island on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

island wrote:Cindy it's helpful that you provided more details, the fine print so to speak.
People may read your salary and only see dollar signs, gloss over the hard job factor because hey, for THAT salary I can do anything.
But whole different story when you see the number of hours Cindy works per week, including nightshirts, and she has over 20 years of experience and worked in a HCOA.

That's a lot different than great job and I only work 3 days a week. Even that is prob 3 12 hour days in hard work on the clock. I could do that to free up 2 other typical work days, but not so I could work more of the same.

To each his/her own, but Yellow it'd is that what you or your husband had in mind? You said his job is easy now so he might want to practice working those hours by getting a 2nd job now. Not being a smarta$$ about that. Seriously might want to see if long hours are worth it to him and your family, before investing the time and $ in that career path.

BTW, do you work. May have missed or forgotten if you addressed that upstream and not easy to page back on my phone.
One more reply and then I have to get in the shower. I promise. :mrgreen: Island is right. I don't know anybody that works the hours that I do. I will occasionally talk to somebody that will mention that they've just worked 7 12s in a row, but it's usually because they need money for an unexpected bill or some other purchase. I will say that I could not do this without the support of my family. My husband paid for my school as I was not employed when we married, he has worked on and off and whenever he does, I make him quit because it's hard on me to have to do other things and I'm very spoiled. I don't put gas in my own car (I mean I know how), I don't grocery shop, buy birthday gifts, pick up my prescriptions or dry cleaning. I don't clean the house or cook meals. He does everything but work outside the home. He's done many, many home improvements, fixes and maintains our cars, takes the kids to their games, parties, schools, doctors. He keeps the kids quiet as church mice when I'm asleep. He has my coffee ready when I wake up and has my breakfast ready when I get home. He pays all the bills, manages all our investments and finances, and basically keeps the entire household completely on track. If I didn't have that kind of support, there's no way I could do what I do. We're a good team.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Cindyjrn wrote:I'll be 48 tomorrow.
A few hours early, but Happy Birthday!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Workinghard

Post by Workinghard »

Cindyjrn wrote:
Workinghard wrote:Cindyjrn, when you get tired of ED and ICU nursing, there's always home health. Lol. When I was young I loved the pace and variety of the ED and the high-tech opportunities in ICU as well as interactions with family. I can't even imagine earning that kind of money though!
I might be young compared to some people but I don't consider myself young. I'll be 48 tomorrow. I say I've been nursing for 20 years, but it's actually like 18. I finished school right before I turned 30. I'm a hard worker, I always have been. I'll never work anywhere but the ER. I'm one of those people that is what you might call adverse to change. Speaking of work, time for me to start getting ready. I was up early today because I didn't work last night.

Hey, you've got working hard right in your name. You must work hard too. ;)

As one last aside, I don't plan on working this hard forever. We'll be completely debt free in about 5 years, which is when our mortgage will be paid off, knock on wood. We're having solar installed next week, that will completely knock out our electric bill forever, which is our second biggest bill. Our biggest bill at that point will be car insurance or DirecTV. Next year, I have a high school Junior and a Freshman. So kids won't likely be around in 10 years max. That's a big joke in our house, when the oldest will leave the nest. We're figuring by the time he's 28. :mrgreen: :oops: So, when the debt is gone and the kids are gone and our retirement is looking good, I'll have a chance to unwind. What I really like to do is work though, I'm not one of those people that has a bunch of hobbies or interests outside of working, never have been.
Haha, re: name. Even when I was young, mid 30's, I worked hard. I remember being nine months pregnant, working 16 hrs in the ED. It was busy and I couldn't leave. My dh was not happy at all and came and picked me up, so I wouldn't have to drive home.

I'll have to change my name next year when we retire. Lol. I chose the name as we've been pushing through with the end in sight. Lots of OT this year with 6k+ a month going into savings. I've worked 4-6 weeks straight but many "short' 4 hr days. I'm ready to be done and spend time with my dh.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Wow,
I can't imagine working working six or even five 12 hour shifts every week. Even if I had absolutely no other responsibilities in the house or outside the house, I think I would just burn out after a short period. Kudos to you and your spouse for being able to work so well as a team. It is actually really impressive to hear.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
MaxWhitney

Post by MaxWhitney »

It has been touched on, but the one thing I would have liked to have understood better before becoming an RN is the amazing amount of responsibility an RN has pretty much every moment of every shift. I worked in food service for years. If I messed up an order or spilled something, it was stressful and a pain but it really was no biggie. Worst case scenario the customer left and I paid their tab. As an RN, one little mistake like pulling the wrong medication or miscalculating a dose can have huge implications on someone's life. I'm not saying your husband shouldn't go into nursing, just a word of caution that the responsibility of an RN on a day to day basis may wear someone down fast if all they are looking for is a stable good paying job.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

EnjoyIt wrote:Wow,
I can't imagine working working six or even five 12 hour shifts every week.
I can. Its called residency. :mrgreen:
island

Post by island »

StormShadow wrote:
Sure, but residency had an ending and you didn't have to continue those hours to significantly increase your salary. :twisted:
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

StormShadow wrote:
Yes, residency can be 80+ hours a week (80 hour rule is not always followed) But it was only for a few years and also when a lot younger. At 40 I prefer to work a lot less. But then again, I do not have the same social support as Cindyjrn.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

island wrote:
StormShadow wrote:
Sure, but residency had an ending and you didn't have to continue those hours to significantly increase your salary. :twisted:
I learned in residency that I don't like working 40 hours a week, much less 80+.

There are some people that do. Most of them seem to be diehard surgeons, but apparently some of them are nurses!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

island wrote:
StormShadow wrote:
It also didn't take me 12 years to enter the workforce and cost me a quarter million dollars to do so. ;)

Thanks for the bday wishes Lady Geek! I'm a simple girl, not really one to celebrate birthdays. Me and my husband are both the same in that regard. A nice card, a few small inexpensive trinkets, maybe some Almond Roca and I'm set. My daughter made me a beautiful cake that I will be taking to work with me so I actually get some. :mrgreen: And my husband had my favorite breakfast ready when I walked in the door and all the laundry done. Yay!
island

Post by island »

Cindyjrn wrote:
island wrote:
StormShadow wrote:
It also didn't take me 12 years to enter the workforce and cost me a quarter million dollars to do so. ;)

Thanks for the bday wishes Lady Geek! I'm a simple girl, not really one to celebrate birthdays. Me and my husband are both the same in that regard. A nice card, a few small inexpensive trinkets, maybe some Almond Roca and I'm set. My daughter made me a beautiful cake that I will be taking to work with me so I actually get some. :mrgreen: And my husband had my favorite breakfast ready when I walked in the door and all the laundry done. Yay!
Happy Birthday Cindy! Hope you have time to celebrate! :D :beer
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

The OP should take note that Cindyjrn is an EXTREME outlier statistically for a staff RN - very few nurses can work that many 12 hour shifts per pay period without burning out. Further, the research has been very clear about 8, 10 and 12 hour shifts for nurses. That the productivity (read that as quality of care) goes down after 8 hours of patient nursing care, goes down dramatically after 10 hours and becomes mediocre at the 12 hour mark. Telling a nurse she has to remain beyond the 12 hour point simply because "there is no one else", is asking for errors and crummy nursing care. Few reputable employers will do that.

So why do employers allow for 12 hour shifts? Because the nurses would positively revolt if they were forced back into an 8 hour mold (who wants to get up and go to work 5 days/week?) There are monetary gains for an employer, too, but it is mostly to appease the workforce.

I basically agree with the physician who said s/he knows advanced practice nurses and PAs who went into it just for the money. I've seen plenty of those folks (physicians, too) and they are miserable (except for the money) and most are lousy practitioners and simply horrible co-workers. Word to the wise...

Lastly, there are still plenty of nursing jobs in the country. If there is no problem with where you and your husband live after graduation. The stiffest competition is, as you might imagine, in major metro areas. Willing to go rural and there are jobs "everywhere". Also, he should go the associate degree route to start, in case he hates it. Most schools have long waiting lists.

(retired CRNA)
ugakbk

Post by ugakbk »

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents...I (30 year old male) made a career change and went back to nursing school. I have been out of school since December '13, and work in a specialized ICU at a major academic medical center in a large southeastern city. I work night shift, and my full time schedule is 3 12 hour shifts per week. I typically work one overtime shift every other week, and will make ~$60k this year. I still have some room for my hourly wage to grow with years of experience, changes in hospital, etc. Just wanted to state that the pay does vary widely by region, experience and how much you want to work.

To answer your original question, he should really do some shadowing with some nurses in the hospital to find out if he's interested. While the pay is good (but not great), you won't last long if you aren't interested in medicine or helping people. I love my job, but I work with people who don't, and it shows. Good luck with his decision making process, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Garthilk

Post by Garthilk »

Here's what I did before I went to nursing school.

I made a list of major professions that could make 100k a year.
Filtered that list of professions that would see continued job growth for the next few decades.
I added a column for how long it would take in terms of education to make that 100k after a few years in the profession.
I picked the profession that made the most money in the least amount of time.

Though it was close between ultrasound technician with specialty certs, nuclear medicine techologist, radiology techician with certs. I picked nursing. Did 1.5 years of prerequisite classes, 2 years of an associates program in California.

A decade later, I can work a little (36 hours/week) and make 90k. Or work a lot (60 hours/week)and make 200k.

I know I should probably work in a profession I had a natural affinty for, a calling for, but there were no jobs avliable as a philanthropist, so I used the list method instead.
island

Post by island »

Yellowbird is MIA since Sat so maybe no longer interested in this discussion.
OT, but find it curious that some people have written "male nurse". Why the need to specify gender? Odd.
A nurse is a nurse an MD is an MD and engineer is an engineer, etc regardless of gender.
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

BolderBoy wrote:The OP should take note that Cindyjrn is an EXTREME outlier ...
I've been called worse.
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

island wrote:... but find it curious that some people have written "male nurse". Why the need to specify gender?
SOP ever since Meet the Parents. :mrgreen: