Is my tenant trying to scam their renter's insurance company? (Fire Damage)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
mac_guy

Is my tenant trying to scam their renter's insurance company? (Fire Damage)

Post by mac_guy »

I own a 1 BR condo that I rent out. About a week ago, I got a call from my tenant telling me that they had a small grease fire in the kitchen. They told me they had to use a fire extinguisher. The fire department was not called. When I inspected, I saw the residue from the fire extinguisher on the oven. Otherwise, I detected no other fire damage. So, I assumed the issue was done with.

A few days after the reported fire, I receive a call from my tenant's renter's insurance company asking to talk to me about a claim. My tenant then tells me they put in a renters insurance claim for smoke damage to their belongings. My tenant also told me that the unit was not habitable due to smoke damage. My tenant claims that their asthma is aggravated by the smoke. The insurance company agreed to put them up in a hotel until the unit is made habitable again. The insurance company is supposed to be sending in some cleaners to the condo.

I am very confused at this point, so I went and inspected the unit again (without my tenants there.) I don't detect any smokey smell. All of my tenants clothes are in big trash bags on the floor. The tenant claims that insurance company is going to pick up all the clothing and get it cleaned.

I am finding this whole situation bizarre. I can't detect any smoke residue left in the unit, while my tenant claims the unit can't be lived in. I am starting to wonder if they are just trying to get a free hotel stay, a free condo cleaning, and free laundry from their insurance company.

When I talk to the insurance company, what should I do? Should I tell them I think my tenant is making this whole situation up? Should it even matter to me at all?
sunnywindy

Re: Is my tenant trying to scam their renter's insurance company? (Fire Damage)

Post by sunnywindy »

If I were you, I would be 100% honest with the insurance company in answering their questions. As you portray the situation, it does sound like your renter is playing games and I would not want to get caught up in this.
Powered by chocolate!
CABob

Post by CABob »

sunnywindy wrote:If I were you, I would be 100% honest with the insurance company in answering their questions. As you portray the situation, it does sound like your renter is playing games and I would not want to get caught up in this.
+1, but I don't think I would volunteer information or answer questions that have not been asked by the insurance company. Do you think or know that representatives from the insurance company have visited the condo?
Bob
Topic Author
mac_guy

Post by mac_guy »

CABob wrote:
sunnywindy wrote:If I were you, I would be 100% honest with the insurance company in answering their questions. As you portray the situation, it does sound like your renter is playing games and I would not want to get caught up in this.
+1, but I don't think I would volunteer information or answer questions that have not been asked by the insurance company. Do you think or know that representatives from the insurance company have visited the condo?
I know the insurance company has not visited the property yet. My tenant told me they would inform me, plus I would most likely have to let them in.
Last edited by mac_guy on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

As someone who is very sensitive to odor, I will tell you that just because you smell nothing, it doesn't mean your tenant is trying to pull a fast one.

Several years ago, a bunch of my friends and I went to the beach for the weekend for a girls weekend. My roommate and I both woke up early in the morning convinced that there was a fire at the hotel. Our other friends thought we were both nuts and swore they smelled nothing even though we both thought there was a detectable smoky smell in the air. It was only later when we were out and about that we heard on the radio that there was a forest fire about ten miles away. Fortunately, the winds changed directions away from the beach during the day so we were able stay at the hotel the next night without issue.

I have changed hotel rooms many times when someone has smoked in the supposed "No Smoking" room that I always request. I am similarly inconvenienced by VOCs (volatile organic chemicals) and can detect fresh paint, new carpet, and newly refinished floors long after most other people based on the headaches I develop.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

cherijoh wrote:As someone who is very sensitive to odor, I will tell you that just because you smell nothing, it doesn't mean your tenant is trying to pull a fast one.

Several years ago, a bunch of my friends and I went to the beach for the weekend for a girls weekend. My roommate and I both woke up early in the morning convinced that there was a fire at the hotel. Our other friends thought we were both nuts and swore they smelled nothing even though we both thought there was a detectable smoky smell in the air. It was only later when we were out and about that we heard on the radio that there was a forest fire about ten miles away. Fortunately, the winds changed directions away from the beach during the day so we were able stay at the hotel the next night without issue.

I have changed hotel rooms many times when someone has smoked in the supposed "No Smoking" room that I always request. I am similarly inconvenienced by VOCs (volatile organic chemicals) and can detect fresh paint, new carpet, and newly refinished floors long after most other people based on the headaches I develop.
+1 New carpet is the worst. I can't even stay around 1 square foot carpet samples.
Last edited by dolphinsaremammals on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cherijoh wrote:As someone who is very sensitive to odor, I will tell you that just because you smell nothing, it doesn't mean your tenant is trying to pull a fast one.

This ^^

If someone has a medical concern, it probably isn't wise for you to get involved.
Let the insurance deal with it all.

Asthma can be a life-threatening concern.

DH ended up in the local ER during a cruise - with our best guess being because of "something" in a taxi, and that was then exacerbated by the regular detergents in the sheets on the ship that night.
We almost had to evacuate him. (Cruise worked with us then and since, with a variety of special preparations. We were impressed. More importantly, DH never had a problem again - thus far.)
We also request special arrangements at hotels, and they are well prepared for such situations nowadays.

Me? I never reacted to anything at all, nor did anyone else.
DH *is* particularly sensitive to certain substances, things that would never bother anyone else.
And this can be life-threatening.
(Yes, we now carry a variety of emergency meds, just in case.)

I would never risk questioning anyone who claims to have a medical problem or potential problem.

No one is asking you to incur costs, correct?

If so, leave it to the insurer. This won't be the first time they've dealt with such a problem (or with a potential or real scam).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I would definitely go through the apartment and video all the rooms for documentation. While it could be that they smell the smoke, what are you going to do if they say that now all the carpets and the curtains need to be cleaned in order to rid the rooms of the odor? Or the place needs repainted due to the odor? Will your insurance handle that, or will that be an out of pocket expense?
Mike
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Here is the puzzle to me - If this is some sort of tenant "scam" - what is the benefit and/or motive? Sure seems like a lot of work/effort to get some things cleaned.
Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn »

I don't think it should matter to you one bit. Best case scenario, your tenant is particularly bothered by the smell of smoke in the home and in their clothes and is making every effort to ensure that YOUR home is returned back to it's former state. If it were my home, I'd let the tenants work it out with their insurance company and be happy they were courteous enough to take care of my property as well. And frankly I'd be more than a little offended if somebody tried to get in the middle of my private dealings with my insurance company and insinuated that I was committing insurance fraud.
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

Many people think it is ok if the insurance company has to pay but then go crazy if their rates are increased. I would be honest with the insurance company and tell them I cannot detect any smoke and they can do their due diligence to determine if they want to pay or not.

Post by 123 »

While there could be some kind of scam involving renter's insurance I would agree that it seems like it would take a lot of work for a relatively small benefit.

If there's a scam I would suspect that it might eventually involve the fire extinguisher manufacturer/seller with litigation or an offer of settlement for some type of "breathing problem" associated with the discharge of the fire extinguisher. A small grease fire would be just enough to make the use of the fire extinguisher appear legitimate. The purpose of the renter's insurance claim could be to document a fire.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
mac_guy

Post by mac_guy »

dm200 wrote:Here is the puzzle to me - If this is some sort of tenant "scam" - what is the benefit and/or motive? Sure seems like a lot of work/effort to get some things cleaned.
Well, I agree the benefit is small, but I don't think it is insignificant. For much of this week, my tenant has been in a local hotel. The weather is quite hot where I live and the hotel has a nice pool.

I also think they are going to get a somewhat significant cleaning: rugs, furniture, clothes, walls, floors. That is a lot work and they probably won't have to pay for it.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I wouldn't get involved, but just answer questions honestly. It could be entirely legitimate, and I hope it is, but if it's not, then you should be careful. Scammers gonna scam. :twisted:
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

mac_guy wrote:......When I talk to the insurance company, what should I do? Should I tell them I think my tenant is making this whole situation up? Should it even matter to me at all?
Stay out of it. You inspected your property promptly after the tenant notified you of the grease fire in kitchen. Are satisfied you suffered no loss or damage that would involve your insurance company with a claim. At best, you might have deductions from the tenant's security deposit at move-out, if surface of stove was damaged by the use of fire extinguisher, or the nearby wall became discolored from the chemicals and could not be cleaned off.

You don't know just what the terms of the tenant's insurance policy are. It could be one that is very liberal in terms of coverage for people with asthma, COPD, or other documented medical conditions, that require special consideration with "loss of use" section of the renters policy.

I think the absolute worst thing you could do is say anything to a representative from your tenant's insurer that you have suspicions the tenant "is making this.....up".

You have no evidence to back that up, and, more to the point, such reckless statements could come back to bite you in that well-known part of the anatomy.

Really.

Post by 555 »

dm200 wrote:Here is the puzzle to me - If this is some sort of tenant "scam" - what is the benefit and/or motive? Sure seems like a lot of work/effort to get some things cleaned.
They get to be pampered and fussed over. This may be extremely important to them.
onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 »

mac_guy wrote:
Well, I agree the benefit is small, but I don't think it is insignificant. For much of this week, my tenant has been in a local hotel. The weather is quite hot where I live and the hotel has a nice pool.

I also think they are going to get a somewhat significant cleaning: rugs, furniture, clothes, walls, floors. That is a lot work and pro they probably won't have to pay for it.

It may be worthwhile to consider your prospective course of action if this incident drags on several weeks. If your tenant does not move back into the property promptly and can find a way to extend their stay in this hotel or elsewhere, they may try to resist paying the next month's rent. I also second the recommendation to document all conversations with tenants (pertaining to the exact details of the incident) and insurance agents extensively (time, date, what was discussed) and to take lots of pictures of your property. This event could spiral out of control and your tenants could try to break their lease early if they are not satisfied with the removal of the smoke odor. Best of luck.
"When the market's going up, we think it's going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it's going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen" - John C. Bogle
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Leave it to the insurance company. It is their job to do an investigation, not yours. If you are asked questions, tell the what you know to be true (the facts), not your opinions or conclusions.

What you know is that you don't smell or sense anything significant in your short visit to the condo. That does not mean the tenant doesn't smell anything or that the tenant isn't sensitive to some residue that only becomes irritating after more prolonged exposure than your short visit.

If asked for an opinion, state the truth - "I don't notice anything myself. I don't have any way of knowing if they do or not. My experience with these people is they seem to be (truthful, sleazy, whatever is your past experience) with me in the past".
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

It's entirely possible the asthma claim is legit. My wife has asthma and severe allergies, and has a nose like a bloodhound. Things I can't even smell will often make her extremely ill.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
js2012

Post by js2012 »

It sounds like the insurance company will also be coming to the apartment to assess the damages. They've probably seen a lot more homes claiming smoke damage than just yours so I'm sure they will be able to suss out the situation. That is their job, not yours - it's in their best interest to do a thorough inspection and maybe they will see something that you don't. I would give your tenants the benefit of the doubt and let the insurance company do their job and your tenants deal with it. As a tenant that pays rent and renter's insurance, I would not want my landlord suddenly becoming an "expert" in these things, being that I actually have to live here and he doesn't.
leonard

Post by leonard »

I wouldn't get involved.

The reality is that you allow someone 24/7 access to one of your most valuable assets. I wouldn't give them any incentive to mistreat your asset, especially over an insurance claim that is between them and their insurance company.

However, if they are being dishonest, I'd recommend that you check up on your property more often, especially approaching the end of the lease agreement. And, be especially vigilant at move out.
Last edited by leonard on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

TomatoTomahto wrote:I wouldn't get involved, but just answer questions honestly. It could be entirely legitimate, and I hope it is, but if it's not, then you should be careful. Scammers gonna scam. :twisted:
I agree with Tomato.

Also, I think if it is a scam, the insurance company will figure it out.

Post by 555 »

Why does someone who is sensitive to smoke play with grease fires?

I think OP should minimize contact with this individual, and part ways amicably when lease ends or is broken.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

555 wrote:Why does someone who is sensitive to smoke play with grease fires?
To put it out?
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

retired recently wrote: I would be honest with the insurance company and tell them I cannot detect any smoke and they can do their due diligence to determine if they want to pay or not.
+1

No need to speculate. Tell them what you saw and they'll deal with it.
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

I agree. The tenant is gaining very much from this "scam." A hotel for a few nights and free laundry?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Potentially, they could say that the apartment is an unsafe environment for them, and withhold rent. Or break the lease. Or demand that the landlord pay for the hotel and medical treatments. Or some combination of the above.

I am not saying that they are scammers. I am saying that I've heard of scammers doing outrageous things, playing the system, and it's a tough ride for the landlord. I was a landlord once; never again.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

It is their insurance? Well, then it is their problem. Meaning, that they need to validate the damage to their insurance company and deal with the after effects. You are not claiming any of the damage.

I would not worry about it - and at the same time, tell them your side of the story as far as factual information - anything else is between them.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

A tenants business is my tenants business.
I say butt out.
Tend to your business
Pale Blue Dot

Post by 555 »

4nursebee wrote:A tenants business is my tenants business.
I say butt out.
Tend to your business
These kinds of posts totally miss the real point. Yes, it's true that this particular insurance claim needn't involve the OP much, and it would be prudent to keep their distance.

But the fact remains that the OP now has new information, with negative implications, that their tenant started a fire on the OP's property and is now doing what appears to be a drama queen victim act. This kind of individual poses a significant danger to the OP, and OP needs to efficiently disentangle themselves from this individual. There could be a personality disorder involved, and that is really bad news.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

555 wrote:Why does someone who is sensitive to smoke play with grease fires? ...
I' m guessing it wasn't a fire when they started cooking. My wife can cook bacon which generates lots of grease, but she is deathly allergic to smoke.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

555 wrote: But the fact remains that the OP now has new information, with negative implications, that their tenant started a fire on the OP's property and is now doing what appears to be a drama queen victim act. This kind of individual poses a significant danger to the OP, and OP needs to efficiently disentangle themselves from this individual. There could be a personality disorder involved, and that is really bad news.
Well, OP has new information which has increased his suspicions, not to mention 555's suspicions, but proves nothing... certainly not enough to justify accusing the tenant of posing a significant danger and possibly having a personality disorder.

Drama queen victim act? Quite a conclusion given we have no idea how serious the tenant's medical condition is.

Post by 555 »

cheese_breath wrote:
555 wrote: But the fact remains that the OP now has new information, with negative implications, that their tenant started a fire on the OP's property and is now doing what appears to be a drama queen victim act. This kind of individual poses a significant danger to the OP, and OP needs to efficiently disentangle themselves from this individual. There could be a personality disorder involved, and that is really bad news.
Well, OP has new information which has increased his suspicions, not to mention 555's suspicions, but proves nothing... certainly not enough to justify accusing the tenant of posing a significant danger and possibly having a personality disorder.
It's also a big mistake to think something necessarily has to be "proved" with certainty. We (including the OP) are dealing with incomplete information, and it is prudent to make statistical judgements. There is a range of possibilities, but the worst case scenarios are really bad, and the OP should be cautious.

I see you just added this bit.
cheese_breath wrote:Drama queen victim act? Quite a conclusion given we have no idea how serious the tenant's medical condition is.
No-one's concluding things with certainty. People are listing various possibilities. Saying "it might rain tomorrow" is not the same as saying "it will definitely rain tomorrow". This is not a difficult concept.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

So what was the asthma sufferers sample size you used to make these statistical judgments??
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

GoldenFinch wrote:Also, I think if it is a scam, the insurance company will figure it out.
I agree. Insurance companies try their best to not pay, and they have a lot more experience with similar claims.

Let the insurance company deal with it. When the insurance company talks with you, tell them the facts (you personally didn't smell smoke, tenant said X to you) but not your opinion or suspicions. If the company allows it, get a copy of their report and investigation notes.

How have the tenants been otherwise--have they paid rent on time and not damaged the place?
kenner

Post by kenner »

Stay out of this. It's between the tenant and the insurance company. The extent of fire damage is a matter of opinion. If you diss the tenant, you could be sued for libel or slander. Let the insurance company handle this. That's their job.
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

You should ask the insurance company if they sell mutual funds and if so, what would they recommend for a SCV tilt.

-Sorry for the snark.

If you have to let the insurance company in for an inspection, let them do the talking. Listening may give you more information. If you have a hard time not engaging strangers, like I do, ask them about their company and if they offer a 401k. Ask them If they've ever heard of John Bogle and his retirement investing philosophy. (You might be responsible for giving them the best information they've ever received. :mrgreen: )
She/he may be more relaxed and loosen up if you don't talk about the job at hand and they might mention company policy or something else informative.
You may be glad you didn't offer an opinion.

Two cents,
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

Frankly, the landlord has nothing to do here. This is between the renter and the insurance company.

Landlord was not there, can not provide eyewitness testimony, and landlord's opinion does not count.

Landlord would be advised to stay away from this.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

cheese_breath wrote:
555 wrote:Why does someone who is sensitive to smoke play with grease fires? ...
I' m guessing it wasn't a fire when they started cooking. My wife can cook bacon which generates lots of grease, but she is deathly allergic to smoke.
Try cooking a goose! Talk about grease fire, wont do that ever again....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
mac_guy

Post by mac_guy »

I just wanted to give a small update. I spoke to my tenant today. Tenant told me that the insurance company has given them two weeks of hotel room stay and they intend to use all of it. The insurance company has still not been inside the condo. I also haven't been able to get in touch with the insurance agent.

After reading a number of the posts, I now believe it is possible that my tenant is legitimately bothered by a smell that I cannot detect. Since I have no way of knowing if this is the case, I'm not going to mention any of my opinions to the insurance agent. I'm just going to answer the questions asked as honestly as possible and leave it at that.
kenner

Post by kenner »

mac_guy wrote:I just wanted to give a small update. I spoke to my tenant today. Tenant told me that the insurance company has given them two weeks of hotel room stay and they intend to use all of it. The insurance company has still not been inside the condo. I also haven't been able to get in touch with the insurance agent.

After reading a number of the posts, I now believe it is possible that my tenant is legitimately bothered by a smell that I cannot detect. Since I have no way of knowing if this is the case, I'm not going to mention any of my opinions to the insurance agent. I'm just going to answer the questions asked as honestly as possible and leave it at that.
Good choice.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Yes, good choice. Thanks for the update.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

mac_guy wrote:I just wanted to give a small update. I spoke to my tenant today. Tenant told me that the insurance company has given them two weeks of hotel room stay and they intend to use all of it. The insurance company has still not been inside the condo. I also haven't been able to get in touch with the insurance agent.

I would just give the tenant the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he can still smell some smoke. Figures he's gonna get a thorough cleaning and gets two weeks in a hotel WITH A POOL! And since he paid for the renter's insurance, why not? Honestly I can smell cigarette smoke anywhere nearby and it kills me. I absolutely could not stay in a smoking hotel room. I would rather sleep in a car. Or outside. Fire smoke is probably the same annoyance. Maybe it's the same for the tenant.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Isn't it tenant's obligation to let *his* insurance examiner come in and examine the property in which tenant is legally residing? Why is it your responsibility to open the property for his insurance examiner? I do not get that part, Let your tenant and his insurance company handle everything including getting the estimates etc. You will have to eventually authorize them to do the repairs, provided it does not cost you anything but at this stage you need to do nothing.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Let the insurance company handle the issue. State the facts honestly if they question you.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.