Citi double cash card vs. Amex Blue Everyday

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bbrock

Citi double cash card vs. Amex Blue Everyday

Post by bbrock » Thu May 28, 2015 1:45 am

Wife and I are looking to replace the Costco Amex. Noticed this Citi Double Cash Card at Nerdwallet.com. I think Costco is only going to be taking Visas when the Amex contract ends. Does anyone know is the Citi Double Cash Card a Visa or M/C?

Also, want to get people's opinions on the Citi Doubl Cash card vs. the Amex Blue Everyday card. They both seem like good enough cash back cards.
bbrock

DSInvestor

Re: Citi double cash card vs. Amex Blue Everyday

Post by DSInvestor » Thu May 28, 2015 2:32 am

My Citi Double Cash is a Mastercard.
Wiki

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 am

My research notes have the Double Cash marked down as a Mastercard, but I don't actually have the card yet (waiting for some other financial milestones to pass first). Chase has recently switched most (all?) of the Freedom cards to VISA (rotating 5% categories, 1% otherwise). There is also a Fidelity cash back VISA card that gets 1.5% on all purchases. The CapitalOne Quicksilver card can also be obtained as a VISA card and also has 1.5% cash back.

The Amex Blue Everyday has categories (3% groceries, 2% gas/department store, 1% else) while the Double Cash is 2% everywhere. There are better grocery and gas cards out there if you want to optimize those categories. The Amex Blue Preferred (6% grocery, 3% gas/department store, 1% else) might be worth it, even with the annual fee, depending on your spending rates in those categories.

TdF fan

Post by TdF fan » Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 am

I recently received my DoubleCash card and it is a MasterCard.

I also have an AMEX Blue Everyday that I got several years ago. I use the AMEX card for gas and groceries and plan to use the DoubleCash card for everything else. I think both cards can compliment each other for me. As was mentioned earlier, the annual fee version of the Blue Cash card could be worth it if your spending level is high enough, but it wold be virtually the same for my spending level.

If I were getting only one card now, it would probably be DoubleCash since I think it would provide more cash back overall. The one slight advantage for AMEX Blue is that you get the reward dollars credited to you when you make a purchase, but for DoubleCash you get 1% when you make a purchase and the other 1% when you make a payment. Not a big deal for those who pay the balance each month, but something to be aware of.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu May 28, 2015 8:23 am

Mudpuppy wrote:There is also a Fidelity cash back VISA card that gets 1.5% on all purchases.
The Fidelity VISA rebates 1.5% on the first $15,000 and 2% on the excess.

So if you charge more than $15,000 per year, it's equivalent to a 2% card with a $75 annual fee. (0.5% times $15,000 equals $75.)

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu May 28, 2015 9:05 am

The Citi 1 + 1 card is a MasterCard. We have the Fidelity Visa 1.5% and retired it when we got this one. We spend about $6K annually at the grocery store so the AMX Blue Cash Preferred 6% was a natural for us, we use it for grocery stores only. PenFed 5% cash back on gas, Fidelity AMX for 2% on everything else and Discover is 5% this quarter on movies and restaurants so it will be used until June 30. Everything is set on autopay so just a quick check for fraud is all that's necessary when statements are out. Granted it is a bit complex but we are at over $1200 in cash back so far this year.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 28, 2015 9:18 am

bbrock wrote:Wife and I are looking to replace the Costco Amex. Noticed this Citi Double Cash Card at Nerdwallet.com. I think Costco is only going to be taking Visas when the Amex contract ends. Does anyone know is the Citi Double Cash Card a Visa or M/C?

Also, want to get people's opinions on the Citi Doubl Cash card vs. the Amex Blue Everyday card. They both seem like good enough cash back cards.
I'd have both cards

The blue cash preferred is a better deal even with the annual fee. (We have this)

6% back on groceries - at 400/month that's $288/year vs 144 for the 3% (the annual fee is paid for here)
3% back on gas - at 100/month $36 vs the $24

Everything else would go to the Citi Double for 2%.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu May 28, 2015 10:42 am

bbrock wrote:Also, want to get people's opinions on the Citi Doubl Cash card vs. the Amex Blue Everyday card. They both seem like good enough cash back cards.
Don't just collect opinions. Run the numbers for your spend. You should be doing so with any rewards card that you are considering. Everyone's spend isn't identical in various categories so you need to do your own due diligence. The Blue Cash Preferred may be a better fit for some. The Sallie Mae card may be a better fit for some. Those are just a couple of examples.
3Factor wrote:Not a big deal for those who pay the balance each month, but something to be aware of.
If one isn't paying in full then one is negating any benefit from rewards.

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Thu May 28, 2015 11:10 am

midareff, that sounds a little too complex what you got going. I am all about simplicity. The fewer the cards, the better, but I have made exceptions. I try just to have only 1 each of Amex, Visa, and MC, which is the case currently. However, I have thought about retiring some of the ones such as my Amex which is just point based, and my Chase Sapphire Visa which is also just point based. I would either cut them up and not cancel the card (to keep my very long credit history open) or just put them in the file cabinet. And, to replace the Amex and Visa, get whatever is the best. You all have me tempted by the Amex Blue Preferred.

wfrobinette, we also spend quite a bit on groceries and gas. 2 year old twin boys and we both commute for work. The Blue Preferred may have to go in the lineup. Let me look at my year end statements.
bbrock

acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh » Thu May 28, 2015 11:28 am

My line up:

Capital One QuickSilver (MC): 1.5%
Chase Freedom (VISA): 5% rotating category
Amex Blue Everyday card: 3% Groceries, 2% Gas

Depending on the category of the Chase I will rotate these around. I like the Amex Blue Everyday card the most because it gives a standard 3/2% on a specific category. It has been my dedicated card for groceries and gas, but only when Chase isn't offering 5%.

Either way I'm always earning more then 1% on any purchase :)

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Thu May 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Actually, just read some of the Terms & Agreement for the Amex Blue cards. Not as great of a deal for us b/c superstores/clubs such as Costco would not be considered grocery. Not to mention, gas is also excluded at Costco. In order to qualify a the business' primary objective has to be gasoline sales. The majority of our shopping is at Costco, and many gas fill ups. Back to the drawing board for us. Perhaps their Costco Visa may be good enough.

Think I will have to read the Terms & Agreements now on the Citi Double Cash to see if there is also an exclusion on Costco.

Edit:
I just looked at what I wrote. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. Costco won't even be taking the Amex any longer, so I don't know why the heck I posted what I did above. I must have been going crazy. Even if Costco ever did take the Amex again, it clearly states in the Terms & Agreements that the Blue cards would not earn cash there.
bbrock

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Thu May 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Just read the Citi Double cash terms & agreements. Nothing stated about any restriction from earning cash at superstores like Costco. But, unfortunately how it sounds in this thread the card is a MC and not a Visa. So, that stinks as far as being able to use it at Costco. Regardless, sounds like a good card to consider.

I think ultimately we'll just sign up for the Costco Visa, with a side helping of the Citi Double cash, and dessert of the Amex Blue Everyday (if the Costco True Earnings if converted to that).
bbrock

ronin

Post by ronin » Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 am

I believe Costco signed a deal with Citi to offer the replacement "Costco" card to the existing AMEX one. This means we'll likely see the Costco branded Citi card soon and it should be a VISA. It will be interesting to see what the rewards program entails.

Munir

Post by Munir » Fri May 29, 2015 11:04 am

wfrobinette wrote:
bbrock wrote:Wife and I are looking to replace the Costco Amex. Noticed this Citi Double Cash Card at Nerdwallet.com. I think Costco is only going to be taking Visas when the Amex contract ends. Does anyone know is the Citi Double Cash Card a Visa or M/C?

I'd have both cards

The blue cash preferred is a better deal even with the annual fee. (We have this)

6% back on groceries - at 400/month that's $288/year vs 144 for the 3% (the annual fee is paid for here)

I hope that everyone is aware that the Blue Amex cards have a cap on the reward money over 1% they pay back per calendar year. If you hit the cap, they will revert back to 1% rewards without notifying you. I was hit with that late last year.

The change in COSTCO cards won't occur till 2016, and it will definitely be a VISA. So the current Citi Double Cash Card (which is a MasterCard) will not work in that capacity.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Fri May 29, 2015 11:39 am

If you don't already have an Amex, the Amex offers, including Small Business Saturday, are alone enough reason to get one! So far this year I've gotten $15 back on $15 at Amazon, $25 back on $75 at Chewy.com (dog food) and now I have another offer for $10 back on $50 at Wag.com (more dog food!). Oh, and $20 back on $20 at Sams Club online! The Amex offers are awesome.

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Fri May 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Ronin, I can't recall where I read it, but I believe the Costco Citi Visa is going to have the exact same perks that the AMEX Costco True earnings does right now. Same percentage cash rewards in the same categories.

Munir, not that I doubt you, but I don't recall reading in the Terms/Agreements that there were caps on the AMEX blue card reward categories. That's a bummer.
bbrock

cuda74360

Post by cuda74360 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Also, want to get people's opinions on the Citi Double Cash card vs. the Amex Blue Everyday card. They both seem like good enough cash back cards.
I hold all 3 cards.

I originally had just the Blue Cash Everyday, but got the True Earnings card when I was offered a $50 signup bonus. I was looking at it anyways for the 3% back on gas.

I applied for the Double Cash after Costco and AmEx announced their breakup. I was sure that Costco would switch to MasterCard, since that is what they did in Canada. They announced their new partnership with Visa two weeks after I received it. :(

But, I'm very happy with the Double Cash. It has become my primary card except for grocery stores (Blue Cash Everyday), and gas (True Earnings.) I put everything else on the Double Cash, unless there is an AmEx offer.

If you really want to get rid of the Costco card, why not call AmEx and ask them to convert it to the Blue Cash Everyday? Then you can apply for the Double Cash and have both. You'll still need a Visa for Costco, but not until April 2016.

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Fri May 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Alright, just called and excepted the RSVP and qualified for the AMEX blue cash every day. Our plan is to eventually sign up for the Costco visa and the city double cash MC.

I assume (and I think I read somewhere) that the Costco Visa will have the same restrictions like the Costco True Earnings Amex which are 3% on gas up to $4000, 2% on restaurants/travel, and 1% everything else. We would use the Costco visa for gas up to the limit then switch to the Citi double (besides fillings at Costco), the Citi double MC for everything else (besides Costco shopping), and the AMEX every day blue for 3% on groceries up to $6000 and then switch to the city double MC for groceries.

While I said earlier I wanted simplicity, clearly this isn't as simple as I thought. Oh well, it'll work.
bbrock

coolguy954

Post by coolguy954 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 pm

don't know...thus I got both :sharebeer :sharebeer

Intrepyd

Post by Intrepyd » Sat May 30, 2015 8:35 am

My lineup:

Amex Blue Cash Preferred (6% grocery, 3% gas, $75 fee)
Citi Double Cash (2% everything)
Chase Freedome (5% rotating)

I don't think Amex has a rewards cap for the high categories. Am I mistaken? I know the Chase card caps at $75 bonus rewards per quarter.

Munir

Post by Munir » Sat May 30, 2015 9:40 am

Intrepyd wrote:My lineup:

I don't think Amex has a rewards cap for the high categories. Am I mistaken? I know the Chase card caps at $75 bonus rewards per quarter.

From AMEX web site for the Blue Cash Preferred Card:

"6% US supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 3% US gas stations & select US dept stores, 1% other purchases.‡"

It is not clear to me if the $6000 cap is for purchases from supermarkets or for total card purchases.

HalfMillionaire

Post by HalfMillionaire » Sat May 30, 2015 10:08 am

I will just put in a good word for Barclay Arrival+. 2.22% reward rate, $89 annual fee. You can redeem rewards for any travel purchases. I am not sure whether I will renew and take the 89 bucks hit - but the first year with 40,000 joining bonus has been awesome.

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Sat May 30, 2015 10:10 am

When I spoke with them yesterday, it's $6000 in the groceries category. Both the preferred and every day have this cap on groceries.
http://www.nerdwallet.com/card-details/ ... -Preferred
bbrock

Munir

Post by Munir » Sat May 30, 2015 10:35 am

bbrock wrote:When I spoke with them yesterday, it's $6000 in the groceries category. Both the preferred and every day have this cap on groceries.
http://www.nerdwallet.com/card-details/ ... -Preferred
I just had a chat online with an AMEX rep and he said the cap is on total purchases from that card and not just groceries!! I will call and check with a phone rep.

PS (correction): called a rep by phone and the $6000 cap is for grocery purchases only. The online advice was erroneous. The time period on my card is the calendar year.

bbrock

Post by bbrock » Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 am

Same info I got too Munir yesterday. Also if u read the Tems & Agreements, and I verified with the phone rep, that clubs & superstores like Costco, Sams, Target, & even Amazon don't qualify for groceries or gas percentages, but they still qualify for the 1% everything else category. All spending will qualify for something I was told.
bbrock

ChiefIlliniwek

Post by ChiefIlliniwek » Sat May 30, 2015 12:32 pm

bbrock wrote:Same info I got too Munir yesterday. Also if u read the Tems & Agreements, and I verified with the phone rep, that clubs & superstores like Costco, Sams, Target, & even Amazon don't qualify for groceries or gas percentages, but they still qualify for the 1% everything else category. All spending will qualify for something I was told.
Grocery store gas stations like Kroger gas don't count as gas stations so you just get the normal 1% on those purchases.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 30, 2015 12:52 pm

Munir wrote:From AMEX web site for the Blue Cash Preferred Card:

"6% US supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 3% US gas stations & select US dept stores, 1% other purchases.‡"

It is not clear to me if the $6000 cap is for purchases from supermarkets or for total card purchases.
The $6000 cap is just for the grocery category. That's why it's only listed after the grocery category on AmEx's website and in the above quote. If you look into the Benefits Terms for Blue Cash Preferred on AmEx's website, it's also clear that the cap only applies to groceries:
You will earn a reward of 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets; 3% on eligible purchases of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations); 3% on eligible purchases at select department stores located in the U.S. (The current list of select major department stores at which you can earn a 3% reward is available at americanexpress.com/rewards-info); and 1% on all other eligible purchases.
And I wouldn't really call it something that people would be unaware of. The $6000 cap on the grocery category is clearly listed on the website. It's also clearly discussed at a multitude of third party websites that discuss rewards cards and their limitations. You can't Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo/etc for the Blue Cash Preferred card without seeing this limitation mentioned repeatedly.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat May 30, 2015 1:03 pm

bbrock wrote:midareff, that sounds a little too complex what you got going. I am all about simplicity. The fewer the cards, the better, but I have made exceptions. I try just to have only 1 each of Amex, Visa, and MC, which is the case currently. However, I have thought about retiring some of the ones such as my Amex which is just point based, and my Chase Sapphire Visa which is also just point based. I would either cut them up and not cancel the card (to keep my very long credit history open) or just put them in the file cabinet. And, to replace the Amex and Visa, get whatever is the best. You all have me tempted by the Amex Blue Preferred.

wfrobinette, we also spend quite a bit on groceries and gas. 2 year old twin boys and we both commute for work. The Blue Preferred may have to go in the lineup. Let me look at my year end statements.

It's actually much simpler than it writes. The PenFed card is 5% on gas and used only for gas. The AMX Blue Preferred is 6% groceries and used only for groceries. The Citi 1% + 1% is used anywhere the FIDO AMX 2% isn't accepted. The Discover is just an opportunity this quarter since we eat out frequently and go the movies three or four times a month. Generally just carry four cards.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Sun May 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Spark cash from capital one.

2%?cash at time of purchase, auto redeemed whenever it crosses $25 threshold as a credit to your bill, has not fx fees, low annual fee, and a chip for oberseas travel. Best card out there.

The only better deal is having X number of specialty cards and using them at different times for different spending purposes.

Quite frankly, the amount of additional gain you get for all the hassle makes it not worth your time for most people.

go with 2% unless you've got nothing but time on your hands.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun May 31, 2015 2:31 pm

2tall4economy wrote:Spark cash from capital one.
That's a business card, which I know some people like to get anyways for the rewards. But the levels of protection on a business card are not always the same as the levels on a consumer card. There are fewer mandated fraud protections, although some credit card issuers do opt to keep the two classes at the same level of fraud protection.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:15 pm

Munir wrote:
wfrobinette wrote:

I'd have both cards

I hope that everyone is aware that the Blue Amex cards have a cap on the reward money over 1% they pay back per calendar year. If you hit the cap, they will revert back to 1% rewards without notifying you. I was hit with that late last year.

The change in COSTCO cards won't occur till 2016, and it will definitely be a VISA. So the current Citi Double Cash Card (which is a MasterCard) will not work in that capacity.
The preferred has $6k limit on groceries. My wife and I have a separate account because we usually spend about 9k on groceries.

guwop

Post by guwop » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:56 pm

I use the Blue Cash card. After you spend $6,500 year, you start earning 5% on groceries, gas stations and select drugstores. I usually wait until just after my card anniversary date to make large purchases so that I have an entire year of 5% back.

AllenSmith

Post by AllenSmith » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Intrepyd wrote:My lineup:

Same for me. Best lineup around!

readZinn

Post by readZinn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm

My line up:

1) Fidelity AMEX (2% on everything) - use this at Costco (and everywhere else pretty much) in conjunction with the Executive Membership, which gives you another 2% back. I will look into other options once their VISA card is announced.
2) Sam's Club MC (5% gas (except at Costco/other clubs), 3% restaurants/travel, 1% everything else) - I am hoping that Costco will offer an even more compelling card since I've heard that Costco wanted to and this is one of the reasons why Amex/Costco could not come to an agreement.
3) Amazon Visa (3% Amazon) - use exclusively for Amazon, though I think it provides 2% back on gas and 1% on everything else as well.

I'm looking into the Citi Double Cash to get 2% back at Sam's and places that don't accept Amex, and possibly the Amex Blue Cash Preferred to handle groceries we buy at places other than Costco.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:30 pm

I've had the Amex Blue Cash for 10 years and its 1.5% cash back for groceries, gas, pharmacies, 0.5% for everything else until $6000 is hit then it's unlimited 5% on the first three categories and 1.5% everything else plus the Amex deals that ring in at 15-20% cash back. We have been happy with it.