OT - How do you mail your tax return?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rholt

OT - How do you mail your tax return?

Post by rholt »

Regular US Mail? Registered Mail? Other?

Thanks
BrianTH

Post by BrianTH »

We filed electronically this year. In the past we used regular mail.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We always file for an extension by regular mail. Then we file by regular mail or electronically later in October.
AshKK

Post by AshKK »

Electronically if we are due a big refund.
By regular mail otherwise.
Ash | | The 82nd Boglehead.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Regular mail, put into a USPS box (vs. my mailbox). I've occasionally used certified if there was a big check involved.
mas

Post by mas »

Certified Mail
WWV

Post by WWV »

If the return shows tax due, I usually don't worry about registered mail, and just mail it in. I have noticed that the IRS wastes no time in cashing the check-and I can see online that the check has cleared.

Bob
"The average investor has only 11,000 more genes than a worm"-New York Times
LarryG

Mail Returns

Post by LarryG »

We file electronically and if there is a payment due, we send the check (and voucher) by certified mail. ( Years ago one of my partners sent a payment by regular mail, the state treasurer didn't receive it, and he was penalized.

Good luck.

Larry G.
CyberBob

Regular Mail

Post by CyberBob »

Regular first-class mail for me too.
My withholding is adjusted so that I always owe a small amount. The cancelled check then serves as my receipt that they received my return.

Bob
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I did not mail my return, I electronically filed it.
mijo40

Certificate of Mailing

Post by mijo40 »

I usually attach a USPS Certificate of Mailing. This is of little value but proves I mailed something to the IRS.
cgold

Post by cgold »

For all those that file electronically, are you paying for this service or have you discovered a way to e-file for free?

To date, I've been too cheap to e-file so I go with 1st Class USPS.
Last edited by cgold on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Mostly electronic

Post by Phil »

Filed 12 returns
My own, two states, my mother's and state, daughter and state, son and two states, aunt and state.

11 electronic – couldn't file a New Hampshire return electronically, so printed it and mailed regular mail. All payments made by electronic debit from my checking account.

Used TT online – didn't pay any fees because I qualify for Flagship.
BrianTH

Post by BrianTH »

We used TaxAct for electronic filing. I'm cheap, but it was too cheap even for me to worry about.
schellhase

Post by schellhase »

I always file by USPS mail with first class postage. If the IRS is going to audit me they will have to do the data entry first. It makes no sense to me that I would have to pay a few to reduce the amount of work the IRS is required to do.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Use to file electronically when that was a free part of the TurboTax program. Since they stopped that, I've been mailing it in regular mail.

Electronic filing and preparation of returns should be 100% free for 100% of Americans. I would gladly divert money from a bridge-to-nowhere to pay for it.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser
xenial

Post by xenial »

Good old fashioned first class mail.

Best wishes,
Ken
binarysemaphore

Post by binarysemaphore »

Certified Mail.
relay

Re: How do you mail your tax return?

Post by relay »

Hi rholt,

Historically I have simply mailed it first class, unregistered/uncertified.

More recently I file electronically.

Another option if you live near an IRS office is to file your return at the office: they will give you a receipt.

Regards,
relay.1
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

e-file for federal and USPS first class for state.

Last time to e-file unless the price goes down. I couldn't believe the charge for $16.95 with TurboTax.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
HockeyMike35

efile

Post by HockeyMike35 »

Efile is free if you use the online version of Turbotax.

Mike
quidditchfan073

Post by quidditchfan073 »

Always Always mail your taxes certified or registered mail. Yes you have proof from your check that you paid your taxes but the IRS will give pentalities to you unless you can prove that you mailed them to the IRS ON TIME. ALso, if you go to the IRS web site and if your income is under 50k( don't quote me on that) you can e-file your federal return for free.
Ballgame

Post by Ballgame »

I file electronically as soon as I can if I am receiving a refund. If I have to pony up then I wait to push the button.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

CPAs and attorneys recommend to always use certified mail return receipt requested or some other trackable method so you get paper proof of mailing. If there is a problem, proof of date of mailing or receipt is key. BTW, don't try to send UPS or FedEx to a P.O. Box, it will get bounced.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
kaveman

Post by kaveman »

I second the notion for a USPS Certificate of Mailing. IANAL, but this should be reasonable "proof" that you mailed something to the IRS, which I would think is good enough to avoid late payment penalties.

This helped out in one such instance a couple of years back when the IRS didn't cash the check for several weeks (I was wondering if it was indeed lost in the mail). Then, a month later, had a nice letter telling me I paid late. I sent in a copy of the certificate of mailing and the matter was resolved.

This seems to be the cheapest/minimum "insurance" for mailing in the taxes, but probably certified mail is best if a large check is involved.

kv
tfb

Post by tfb »

Certified mail, NO return receipt requested. Clearance of my check is proof they received it.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
goggles

Post by goggles »

Corner mailbox. I put on two stamps, which I guess is inexplicable.
DRiP Guy

Re: OT - How do you mail your tax return?

Post by DRiP Guy »

rholt wrote:OT - How do you mail your tax return?

Thanks
Please.

The only people who don't either E-file or have their accountant do all that stuff for them are:
a) poor (can't qualify for a credit card)
b) very financially ignorant
c) stupid.

Wouldn't you agree?

:lol:
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

This thread is four years old.....
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Regular mail, but if I can I mail it from the local post office. If I have several forms in the envelope, I will check to see if it needs extra postage.
Minot

Re: OT - How do you mail your tax return?

Post by Minot »

DRiP Guy wrote:
rholt wrote:OT - How do you mail your tax return?

Thanks
Please.

The only people who don't either E-file or have their accountant do all that stuff for them are:
a) poor (can't qualify for a credit card)
b) very financially ignorant
c) stupid.

Wouldn't you agree?

:lol:
Is the smiley supposed to cancel out the snarky?
Minot
travellight

Post by travellight »

My accountant won't mail it for me. I have to write the check, sign it and send it in.

I pay quarterly taxes and I used to just do regular first class mail but now I do certified mail but not return receipt requested which costs extra.

One year, I sent state and federal in on time at the same time. The state cleared in normal time. The federal took weeks to clear however and then they penalized me and claimed I had mailed it late. I had no proof of mailing date and had to pay $258 as a late fee. (I fought this and lost) Since then, I do certified mail so I have proof of mailing date. They don't keep the envelope YOU mailed it in which would have proof of the postal date so you are on your own out on a limb when THEY screw up and misplace your mailing in their system for weeks.