Casual shirts/tops for tall skinny men

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TSR

Casual shirts/tops for tall skinny men

Post by TSR » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Friends, I'm a tall skinny guy -- not "freakishly tall" or wildly disproportionate, just tall, and just skinny. Specifically, I'm 6'3"; 175 lbs; dress-shirt size of 15 1/2, 36; suit size approximately 38L (though I could probably wear a 37L if that actually existed). What this means in my life is that I can usually find dress clothes online, and I can usually find pants (I wear a 32/34, which is not uncommon), but casual shirts are usually too short in the sleeves and waist in a size medium, and way too big in the chest/shoulders in a size large. The same is true of jackets/fleeces/and other warm-weather gear. My ideal size is a "medium/long" in a "slim" cut, but very few places stock such items.

Anyone else deal with this problem? Are there any good resources for this? What I've found so far:

-LL Bean Signature Line (these are a godsend -- decent quality, good look, good fit; the non-"signature" line shirts that LL Bean sells in a medium tall are huge on me though).
-Eddie Bauer slim tall options or sometimes their "athletic" fit (these are fine, but they don't make many of them, and their quality is pretty average); likewise, their sweaters and fleeces fit me ok in medium/tall.
-Banana Republic and J. Crew sometimes stock medium tall stuff, but it's very spotty.
-Oddly, even Filson has a few decent items available in extra-long, and some of them are available in extra-long medium.

I'd love more good sources for casual button down shirts (i.e., ones that are not sized like dress shirts), polos, t-shirts, jackets, fleeces, etc. I much prefer companies that actually stock "medium tall slim" sizes, rather than me having to go look for the measurement of each shirt and comparing it to my sizing. I am not usually willing to pay for individually tailored items, especially in casual items.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

binary13

Re: Casual shirts/tops for tall skinny men

Post by binary13 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Not as nice quality as some of the places you mentioned, but more inexpensive (especially if you use a sale code or get a discounted gift card with Discover Points) is OldNavy.com. I'm 6'1" and ~175 lbs with around 12% body fat and find that the Medium Tall size makes a world of difference in fit. They would probably be long enough for your extra 2 inches, and they do offer some slim varieties. Note that you probably won't be able to find M-Tall in their stores, only online.

I've also had some luck with American Eagle online, usually shopping their Clearance deals.

I've found that some Medium size American Apparel t-shirts in their 50/50 fabric fit well, but it can be hit or miss.

TSR

Post by TSR » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:56 pm

binary13 wrote:Not as nice quality as some of the places you mentioned, but more inexpensive (especially if you use a sale code or get a discounted gift card with Discover Points) is OldNavy.com. I'm 6'1" and ~175 lbs with around 12% body fat and find that the Medium Tall size makes a world of difference in fit. They would probably be long enough for your extra 2 inches, and they do offer some slim varieties. Note that you probably won't be able to find M-Tall in their stores, only online.

I've also had some luck with American Eagle online, usually shopping their Clearance deals.

I've found that some Medium size American Apparel t-shirts in their 50/50 fabric fit well, but it can be hit or miss.
Very helpful, thanks!

maxq

Post by maxq » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Perhaps this belongs in the Personal Consumer Issues forum?

I'm tall and thin, 6'2" 170, 35" sleeve. I've had good luck with Lands End on line. Many dress and casual shirt styles in Med-Tall, some of which are actually a bit snug on me. Returns are a breeze--about $6 to send back via UPS, or just return to local Sears store (the latter may be changing as Sears divested itself of Lands End a while back). Decent quality, decent price with their incessant catalogs that include discount codes and/or free shipping. I've found their trimmer fit tailored pants really aren't any different than the usual styles though. I like cargo pants, but have yet to find anyone who has a decent looking slim or trim fit style.

mikepru

Post by mikepru » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:51 pm

I'm 6-4, 200lbs. I think Lands End and LLBean are your best bets--I order frequently from both, and I think both are very good. The problem with LE is that the quality varies somewhat from item to item. Most items are very well made, but sometimes the quality isn't very good. Read the reviews--they are usually on the money. For example, I have several sport coats 10-15 yrs old from LE--terrific. Most reviews of sport coats now on LE website are iffy.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Made to measure (MTM). I have had good experiences with Luxire. I'm 6'5" with long arms and an athletic build, so off the rack never fits me. Anything off the rack requires alterations, and at that point I might as well get something dialed in to exactly the measurements I need. Besides, something casual that I will wear untucked needs long sleeves for cold weather when I'm not rolling up the sleeves, while also not being absurdly long in the body. OTR will never work for that. For casual button ups, OCBDs are great. For t-shirts/henleys, I stick with J.Crew and Grana. J.Crew sweaters in XLT also fit me well. Only buy from J.Crew on sale.

epitomist

Post by epitomist » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:51 am

Never thought that I'd see a thread of 6'3" men complaining they couldn't find clothes to wear on here. I don't even consider 6'3" to be a tall man. I have a sister that is an inch shorter than that.

Tall clothing is specifically designed to fit men up to 6'3" which is why I have such a problem with it at 6'7" and 210 lbs. With a 38" sleeve length, button-down shirts are no problem but casual shirts are impossible to find in proper fit. Made to Measure / Made to Order clothing is great but if there is a place that sells casual shirts that way it has eluded me completely.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:02 am

Lands End is a great source of what you are seeking. My husband is 6'4" and 175 pounds and LE shirts are almost always a good fit for him. He appreciates especially that both the sleeve and overall length is adequate; in a world of wrist-exposing shirts that are almost impossible to tuck in, that's important :D . I buy both button down cotton shirts for his work 'uniform' requirements and knit t-shirt styles for his casual wear at Lands End and he is always very happy with both styles. Prices aren't bad and there are often sales which bring the cost down even further.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:29 am

I'm 6'5, 205lbs and have the same issue finding clothes that fit well (I have a 6'7 wingspan, so shirts are really a problem). I will check out LL Bean and Lands End. I've had luck with H&M and A&F clothes since they have a lot of slim fit clothing, however I'm also 41 yrs old so I do try dress "age appropriate" within reason. The one thing I have going for me in that department is that I work in the music industry where we don't really have dress codes.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:31 am

I'm about the same size as you, just a little bigger in the shoulders (6'2", 175ish, 35 waist, 31 inseam, 34 sleeve, 40ish jacket). I've had good luck with Izod slim fit shirts. They're a little tight on me in the shoulders, but they should be perfect on you. Good variety of colors and fabrics, but I think they're mostly made from the same pattern. That's fro long-sleeve, which I prefer (I look like more of a dork than usual in short sleeve button-down shirts)

thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:35 am

Costco Kirkland brand slim fit shirts.
Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts.

Both fit me well - 6'2", 180lbs, 33 inch waist, 34 inch inseam.

stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:39 am

6'8" and 200lbs here, so I feel your pain.
For button-up shirts, I find Express 1-MX shirts fit me well. They are nice enough to wear with a suit and tie, but also look fine unbuttoned with jeans. They come in S-M-L-XL and they have extra slim fit sizes. Kind of expensive but I wait until they have a buy 1-get 1 deal going on when I need more.
As far as casual shirts (thermals, t-shirts, etc) I have had luck with American Apparel's stuff. Very slim.

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:55 am

This has all been really helpful. Thank you! I haven't looked at Lands End in years. And do check out the LL Bean Signature line. Very good stuff for what it is.

And to the folks at 6'8", believe me, I feel your pain. It's certainly nicer to be in the 6'3" range where there actually are some non-made-to-measure clothes that really do fit. But there is also something really unfortunate about wearing clothes that are JUST off -- wrists popping out of sleeves, waists riding up over belt-line whenever you raise your arms, etc.

Thanks again!

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 am

Tommy Bahama seems to promise everyone a good fit.
4nursebee

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:20 am

How is the fit in the arms for the LE and LL Bean? 6' 180-185, 36" sleeve. The issue i have is in the arms. 17.5" arms either look like sausage casings or entirely too big. I really need a XL shoulder/arm thru back area and a Medium waist area.
Last edited by zimmer0 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 am

Take a look at Territory Ahead. Lots of interesting shirts and many are in tall sizes. Expensive but last a long time and often available on sale.

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:35 am

retiredjg wrote:Take a look at Territory Ahead. Lots of interesting shirts and many are in tall sizes. Expensive but last a long time and often available on sale.
Had never even heard of them. Thanks!

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:47 am

thomasbayarea wrote:Costco Kirkland brand slim fit shirts.
Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts.

Both fit me well - 6'2", 180lbs, 33 inch waist, 34 inch inseam.
I have never seen Costco Kirkland brand slim fit shirts online or in the warehouse. That may a function of where I live and the demographics. Is this a warehouse only item in your area? For the sale price ($29) Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron slim fit are an exceptional value compared to the BB that I was buying.

wowsomeforum

Post by wowsomeforum » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:32 pm

I'm making a list of stores that sell medium tall upper clothing and I came across this thread. I am 6'3 and 160lbs, all torso.
Here's the list so far, I have only tried the first two stores listed.

Eddie Bauer - T shirts are a little spendy but excellent quality and fit, slim fit is very slim, I wear regular fit MT
Old Navy - Low quality, but you can get shirts for dirt cheap. Not quite as long as I'd like, but still pretty good
Gap - Old Navy, but higher quality
Banana Republic - Gap, but higher quality
American Eagle
Kohl's
Target
2tall.com is good if you're super tall and also European
J. Crew has stuff but is kinda spendy

These have some stuff, but not much and they're mostly ugly jackets
Cabela's
Carhartt
L.L.Bean

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:46 pm

You already mentioned LL Bean. Over the years I've moved from their standard L shirts to M Long and found them to be a good fit. I'm 6'2", skinny and 172-175. I'm no youngster(70) so I may also be losing some of my meager muscle mass in shoulders, chest, etc. That may also explain why M Long is better than L these days.

PS I was at their main store in Freeport, ME about a week ago - love that store!
Friar1610

Compound

Post by Compound » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:10 pm

For t-shirts, I love Eddie Bauer legend wash shirts. Durable, comfortable, and great fit for me.

Thanks all for the other suggestions; I've got some online shopping to do and this will help.

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:48 am

Compound wrote:For t-shirts, I love Eddie Bauer legend wash shirts. Durable, comfortable, and great fit for me.

Thanks all for the other suggestions; I've got some online shopping to do and this will help.
I agree. I've started stocking up on those shirts. Thanks!