Which Credit Cards Offer >=$100 Back in First Few Months?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
INTRESIS

Which Credit Cards Offer >=$100 Back in First Few Months?

Post by INTRESIS »

I know that the Chase Freedom card allows you to "Earn a $100 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening." What other cards offer this? Are there any better deals, which offer more than $100?

I wants a third credit card open, and I basically plan on using it to buy a PS4 and a few games (over $500) within the first few months, thus getting cash back. I currently have the Citi Double Cash Card, and a card from a regional bank with a high credit limit/long credit history.
IndexBeliever

Re: Which Credit Cards Offer >=$100 Back in First Few Months

Post by IndexBeliever »

American Express Cash Preferred. $150 back after first 1,000 spent in 3 months. Great card for groceries (6% off) and gasoline (3% off). Annual fee of $75
inspector00

Post by inspector00 »

Depending on how much you can spend in the first few months, you can do much better than $100.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-cash ... p-bonuses/
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

You start a lot of threads asking very specific questions about credit cards. Bogleheads is not the best forum for this. Try fatwallet or flyertalk.

What Credit Card Should I Get ? FAQ
logandouglasbr

Post by logandouglasbr »

I got an offer in the mail yesterday for the American Express Cash Everyday card offering $250 after your first $1000 spent on the card.

This is the free version of the card IndexBeliever mentioned and gets 3% on groceries, 2% on gas and department stores, and 1% on everything else.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

INTRESIS wrote:What other cards offer this? Are there any better deals, which offer more than $100?
Define "better". Is the cash value of the sign on bonus all that matters? Does the long term benefit of the card to you not matter at all? What about annual fees and total cost/benefit aside from the bonus? How much is too much for you for a spend requirement on a sign on bonus? There are plenty of point/mile cards that offer sign on bonuses that can be valued for much more than $100 but you'd have to consider their redemption options and whether or not you can maximize point/mile value. That said, I'd recommend looking at the long term benefit of those cards. I'd recommend doing so for any card unless you have a strong enough credit profile to churn. Keep in mind that it's not just the age of your oldest account that matters but your Average Age of Accounts as well and opening new accounts does reduce AAoA.
Ketawa wrote:You start a lot of threads asking very specific questions about credit cards. Bogleheads is not the best forum for this. Try fatwallet or flyertalk.
I'd also suggest using credit card specific sites as they have active discussions on such topics. FlyerTalk is better suited to travelers and churners. CreditBoards can be handy if you have a thick enough skin. myFICO can be handy if you can filter the information.

There are also sites you can use to narrow down card options on certain criteria. I don't know of any specific ones off the top of my head for sign on bonuses though.