Household Gross Income Poll

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

What was your 2014 Gross Household Income?

<$10,000
0%
$10,000-20,000
0%
$20-30,000
1%
$30-50,000
2%
$50-100,000
17%
$100-200,000
34%
$200-$300,000
16%
$300-500,000
13%
$500-700,000
4%
$700-$1,000,000
2%
>$1,000,000
2%
Nobody working full-time in the household
6%
Only people working full-time in the household are also students
No votes
Somehow I do not fit into any of the above options
1%

Total votes: 603

Ron

Re: Household Gross Income Poll

Post by Ron » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:34 am

dodecahedron wrote:Emergdoc, it is great that you have a Horatio Alger rags to riches story of starting out on a shoestring and getting to where you are today, and you are generous with your advice. I also came from a background of very modest means, as did my late husband, and I still find it hard to believe I am where I am today.

But we all need to remember that not everyone on a shoestring is able to do what you did or my husband and I did--not everyone can live within biking or walking distance of their job, not everyone is unencumbered by children or disabled relatives needing care, not everyone can make $30K per year, not everyone had a relative or family friend with a car they could learn to drive in, and not everyone can save $1,000,000.
Amen! :thumbsup :thumbsup

- Ron

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 am

I congratulate the really high earners. Polls and comments such as this make me see how much people are saving so I decided that maybe I'd better save some more - maybe. But at the same time, I've spent decades spending a lot of money on travel. It takes a lot of good health and energy to travel the globe. Should I have lived like many here do and tried to accumulate several million. I have pensions and full SS that should cover all of my expenses including travel for several decades. So I'm quite content with my decisions. I have more than many and I've been able to satisfy my passion for travel. So, for me these polls are positive in that I realize I want to my own thing - have enough for retirement but also spend money on travel.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:04 am

I did not read one of the last questions, can not change my answer, but would like to add that nobody is working in my household, we are retirees.

avenger

Post by avenger » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:10 am

dodecahedron wrote:Emergdoc, it is great that you have a Horatio Alger rags to riches story of starting out on a shoestring and getting to where you are today, and you are generous with your advice. I also came from a background of very modest means, as did my late husband, and I still find it hard to believe I am where I am today.

But we all need to remember that not everyone on a shoestring is able to do what you did or my husband and I did--not everyone can live within biking or walking distance of their job, not everyone is unencumbered by children or disabled relatives needing care, not everyone can make $30K per year, not everyone had a relative or family friend with a car they could learn to drive in, and not everyone can save $1,000,000.
Exactly this.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

Levett

Post by Levett » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:13 am

Ron,

I'm gonna double your thumbs up for dodecahedron.

Two thumbs up for her wisdom plus two thumbs up for her humanity.

:thumbsup :thumbsup + :thumbsup :thumbsup

Lev

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:32 am

Levett wrote:Ron,

Lev
+1 for dodecahedron. I would like to thank her for taking the time to write such a wonderful and common sense post.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:04 am

Artsdoctor wrote:I guess my primary problem with the poll is trying to understand what sort of information you're hoping to get from it. From one doctor to another, I'm just trying to figure out what the conclusion you're going to draw here might be.
The point of the poll is to demonstrate what I already knew to be true from a decade on this site and participation in literally thousands of threads. People who come to this board, on average, have an income and a net worth far higher than the average American. There are very few low earners who post here. That's it. No ulterior motives whatsoever. I certainly was not trying to make anyone feel badly. I was just trying to show who the Bogleheads are, for better or for worse. Different people will draw different conclusions and lessons from the facts.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:10 am

dodecahedron wrote: Emergdoc, it is great that you have a Horatio Alger rags to riches story of starting out on a shoestring and getting to where you are today, and you are generous with your advice. I also came from a background of very modest means, as did my late husband, and I still find it hard to believe I am where I am today.

But we all need to remember that not everyone on a shoestring is able to do what you did or my husband and I did--not everyone can live within biking or walking distance of their job, not everyone is unencumbered by children or disabled relatives needing care, not everyone can make $30K per year, not everyone had a relative or family friend with a car they could learn to drive in, and not everyone can save $1,000,000. Not everyone can afford internet service. If you go to any inner city public library or community college library, you will see many folks using the public computers, for which there may be long waiting lines.
Lest anyone mistakenly think I ever wore rags, let me just correct this. I had a decidedly middle class (the real middle class, not the one where people have six figure incomes) upbringing and basically left home at 18 without any money or further parental assistance. I put myself through college and medical school through scholarships, working at low-paying jobs, selling plasma, and a commitment to serve our country, coming out basically broke but at least debt free. I had the benefit of an intact family that taught me the value of personal responsibility and hard work, confidence acquired from numerous successes as a kid, a good public education, and good genes. I taught my parents how to invest, not vice versa. They taught me how to work.

So....middle class to riches would be appropriate to say, but not rags to riches.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:11 am

HueyLD wrote:
Levett wrote:Ron,

Lev
+1 for dodecahedron. I would like to thank her for taking the time to write such a wonderful and common sense post.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I like this quote from Citizen Kane:

"...well, it's no trick to make a lot of money, if all you want is to make a lot of money."

Not everyone desires, let alone is able to maximize income, and for a lot of reasons. Pursuit of wealth, in and of itself doesn't make for a better person. For me personally, time is more valuable then wealth past a point where my needs( and a few wants ) are met. I think anyone reading the Wiki can get a pretty good idea of what Bogleheads is about, minus any income poll, but hey whatever floats the boat.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:25 am

EmergDoc wrote: The point of the poll is to demonstrate what I already knew to be true from a decade on this site and participation in literally thousands of threads. People who come to this board, on average, have an income and a net worth far higher than the average American. There are very few low earners who post here. That's it.
exactly

Lots of the advice here doesn't apply to a lot of people, and they need to know that and that it's ok to skip 90% of the threads if they just want to retire comfortably.

Despite the dozens of Bogleheads books, the wiki, this forum - all incredible resources - the pure Boglehead philosophy can be boiled down to an index card.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:54 am

EmergDoc wrote:Surprised how many commented this poll made them "feel bad" and that it wasn't "actionable." One of the things I have really appreciated on Bogleheads (I joined with an income under $40K and a net worth under $15K) is the ability to get advice from those who have been there and done that, whether it is a high income, a high savings rate, a high investment return, or a high net worth. I find the advice I receive here far more valuable knowing it comes from a forum where literally half the participants (well, at least those willing to answer polls) have a net worth of >$1 Million and an income > $200K. Why take advice about how to build wealth from people who haven't? It's like dieting advice. If you want to be skinny, do what skinny people do. If you want to be wealthy, do what wealthy people do. Wealthy people have high incomes, high savings rates, and spend time doing things like reading this forum that help increase their wealth.

There will always be somebody who makes more and has more than you and someone who makes less and has less than you. Learning to deal with that fact will help you be a lot happier in your quest for "enough."
I think we can see from dodecahedron's insightful and thoughtful post that it should not be surprising some readers would look at the big incomes and the millions and "feel bad" - and worse, that they might then decide not to bring their financial problems to this forum. I've wondered for some time now how many do not, or have perhaps waited too long to seek help as their problems such as debt continue to mount.

And while there will, of course, always be somebody who makes more and somebody who makes less, learning to deal with it will always be harder for some than others, especially the others dodecahedron has described.

The reaction, positive and negative, on this thread also is not surprising. As Jason Zweig put it, "When you win, lose, or risk money, you stir up some of the most profound emotions a human being can ever feel."
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:58 am

letsgobobby wrote:
EmergDoc wrote: There are very few low earners who post here. That's it.
exactly

Based on what evidence? Anonymous( small sample size) polls? Self reporting? I'm not saying it isn't or can't be true. I'm saying it's a broad statement to make, minus the hard data to back it up. Anyway have fun with your poll, I'm outta here.

Confused

Post by Confused » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:36 pm

One of the rock-bottom households checking in. There's a good chance that my conversation with EmergeDoc sparked the poll, so I just wanted to chime in really quick.

Yes, almost everyone here makes several times more than my spouse and I. And have retirement accounts ten or a hundred times bigger than our $10k.

Do I feel like "Oh, no, I'm too poor to post here" or "Oh, I'm too embarrassed to post here?" No. People do respond to me and my questions involving very little money just like they do for people with questions regarding large quantities of money. I don't feel belittled or disrespected. Sometimes I do feel like people here are, to varying degrees, out of touch with reality because they are so far from the median.

But on the flip side, I also go to other personal finance forums in which a vast majority of posts are "Help, I'm $75k in debt and don't have a job!" In some regards, I, too, am out of touch with reality because I am not going to an expensive university, realizing a plight of nearly insurmountable student debt when it's much too late to prevent it. Nor am I disabled or supporting a disabled relative. Nor did I have parents who failed to teach me anything about fiscal responsibility.

There will always be people with more money than you; there will always be people in more dire straits than you. Yet we all come to this forum to help other people and to receive help from other people. And by "help" I mean answers to general questions, advice on particular situations, outside perspectives, tips, ideas, etc.

It doesn't matter how much or how little we're earning, we're all trying to keep our financial ship righted and pointed in the right direction.

Post by 555 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:14 pm

I've had discussions about optimizing Earned Income Credit on this forum. A lot of financial topics are covered.

It's logical that incomes of participants on this forum would be somewhat skewed higher compared to the general population, but not to anything like the degree this poll indicates. That's an absolute shock to me.

The majority of households in the United States have excess disposable income that could be saved. The problem is, they dispose of it instead.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Confused wrote:
Do I feel like "Oh, no, I'm too poor to post here" or "Oh, I'm too embarrassed to post here?" No. People do respond to me and my questions involving very little money just like they do for people with questions regarding large quantities of money. I don't feel belittled or disrespected.
And if things like this thread somehow drive people away from the site, well, it'll be off the main page in a few hours or days anyway and replaced by a thread about where to stay in Carmel, how to buy a $5000 watch, or how to get a good price on tickets to France.

What I would hate, however, is if those who have been successful (income, savings rate, investment return, net worth, happiness etc) stop posting here because they feel belittled or disrespected for doing too well! I have fairly thick skin from working in an ED and from having a rather visible internet presence for years. Most people don't.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Ninegrams wrote:
I'm saying it's a broad statement to make, minus the hard data to back it up.
It seems like I've got as hard of data as anyone is likely to get, certainly without a great deal of expense and hassle. I guess the methodology can be debated until the cows come home. No data is perfect, but there certainly isn't any data suggesting my conclusion isn't true.

10/527 respondents have an income under $30K. That's under 2%. 20/527 have an income under the median US household income (just over $50K). That's under 4%. 106/527 have an income of less than twice the median US household income. That's 20%. So 80% of those willing to answer an anonymous poll on the Bogleheads forum claim they have an income more than twice that of the median US household. A lot of drugs are being prescribed based on less data than that.

TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Reading this thread, I'm reminded of a book I read several years ago, "Limbo" by Alfred Lubrano (easily found on Amazon).

It's rare for me to find a book that resonates so strongly with me. It deals with the cultural and class issues of those born and raised in the blue collar world who end up pulling themselves up a few rungs to the white collar professional class and how they strive to get along there.

The bottom line is that we never really fit in - anywhere.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:Reading this thread, I'm reminded of a book I read several years ago, "Limbo" by Alfred Lubrano (easily found on Amazon).

It's rare for me to find a book that resonates so strongly with me. It deals with the cultural and class issues of those born and raised in the blue collar world who end up pulling themselves up a few rungs to the white collar professional class and how they strive to get along there.

The bottom line is that we never really fit in - anywhere.
?? I dunno; based on my extensive anecdotal database of one. :P Depends what you mean with "really fit in," I guess. I'm comfortable with my family members, who are the only people from my home town that I ever see; don't discuss some things with them, but that is true of anyone. As for as not fitting into the "white collar professional class," we fit in as much as we desire to. Can't say that I've ever had difficulty of this type except for the first few months out of law school, when I was a male version of Eliza Doolittle in a big "society" lawfirm (unsurprisingly, you quickly learn the behaviour of the natives). :-)

(It is weird to visit the old neighborhood though; as others have often observed on this and other boards, "gosh, we we poor, but didn't know it.")

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:38 pm

EmergDoc wrote:What I would hate, however, is if those who have been successful (income, savings rate, investment return, net worth, happiness etc) stop posting here because they feel belittled or disrespected for doing too well! I have fairly thick skin from working in an ED and from having a rather visible internet presence for years. Most people don't.
I've noticed that none of the people genetically related to me have any inkling of what an inferiority complex is. I didn't know such a thing existed until recently.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:36 pm

Ahem! Fit in and inferiority complex - imagine that you're an Asian immigrant who did not even speak English. Being a geek did not help either, except maybe these days.

I just count my blessings that somehow we managed to struggle through junior, high school, college and work our behinds of to save and invest, facing heavy odds in our society. Never took food stamps or handouts either.

We've been in the two-comma club since last century but still feel strange spending money as if it is burning a hole in my pocket. :D

Bought my most expensive used Cartier back in the '90s for just under $1k. Did not see the need for a $17k Apple watch. My daily watch is a used mechanical Omega from the flea market.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:43 pm

we would be in the 5 digit club but I am not ashamed nor depressed about it. For the income that we make, we live comfortably and save as much as we can. We might not ever join a 2 comma club but definitely happy where we are. Only stress I have is the job stability in the IT industry (not a specialized skill that cannot be sent out).

Other than that, i love to share info with other posters and learn about topics that we might never have a need (Back door Roth and such). Whenever I see new posters with income in 5 digits, I definitely feel the connection to what they are going through and try to provide my input accordingly (I prefer to do trad 401k and roth ira than roth 401k as some suggest since we are in low tax bracket. My idea is that me saving 10k in trad 401k allows me to have more money than putting 10k in roth 401k.)

As for feeling poor compared to others in this forum, shouldnt I feel the same looking at US Govt or newspapers surveys and stats about income earned by some? When I go to a doctor, do I feel depressed that they make a lot more than me ? I dont feel like that.

rayson

Post by rayson » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:18 pm

I've participated in this anonymous poll. I really don't see any disrespect or belittlement by OP. People read too much into polls these days.. They are purely for entertainment value as Livesoft pointed out. If you don't like to participate, you can just ignore the poll and move on to next thread. Problem solved. :beer

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

I found the poll and resulting thread interesting. Luck is involved yes, but hard work helps as well. I'd much rather talk to someone who is richer than me about gaining wealth than someone who isn't. That's why I come to this forum rather than asking my broke coworkers questions about investing and saving.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:12 pm

ofcmetz wrote:I found the poll and resulting thread interesting. Luck is involved yes, but hard work helps as well. I'd much rather talk to someone who is richer than me about gaining wealth than someone who isn't. That's why I come to this forum rather than asking my broke coworkers questions about investing and saving.
Luck? Maybe.

Though, I notice luck (good and bad) seems to run in certain families.... even across multiple generations. Go figure!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

vested1

Post by vested1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:25 pm

I was somewhat surprised that the income levels on average weren't higher for members of this forum, but income seems less important than savings rate during accumulation years to me anyway. I suppose it's all relative because of the phenomena often mentioned of "you spend what you make", which applies less here than elsewhere. Saving and investing wisely by taking the advice of more informed members is the true value of this forum, not the net worth of it's members, and I think we all understand that.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
ofcmetz wrote:I found the poll and resulting thread interesting. Luck is involved yes, but hard work helps as well. I'd much rather talk to someone who is richer than me about gaining wealth than someone who isn't. That's why I come to this forum rather than asking my broke coworkers questions about investing and saving.
Luck? Maybe.

Though, I notice luck (good and bad) seems to run in certain families.... even across multiple generations. Go figure!

Broken Man 1999
Don't underestimate the value of a positive attitude and really hard work. :moneybag

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:01 pm

I wonder how much the relative high-income of posters here may make it difficult for BH's to reach a larger audience. I think you see that in the "Can I afford House" threads where people think you need $400,000 income to buy a $500,000 home.
Last edited by denovo on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

asif408

Post by asif408 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:24 pm

EmergDoc wrote:It seems like I've got as hard of data as anyone is likely to get, certainly without a great deal of expense and hassle. I guess the methodology can be debated until the cows come home. No data is perfect, but there certainly isn't any data suggesting my conclusion isn't true.

10/527 respondents have an income under $30K. That's under 2%. 20/527 have an income under the median US household income (just over $50K). That's under 4%. 106/527 have an income of less than twice the median US household income. That's 20%. So 80% of those willing to answer an anonymous poll on the Bogleheads forum claim they have an income more than twice that of the median US household. A lot of drugs are being prescribed based on less data than that.
IMO your poll is fairly representative, and matches my observation about the Bogleheads website since I joined last year.

I am one of the 4%ers (my wife and I made less than $50,000 gross income last year). I will say I have learned a lot from this website and greatly value the knowledge gained. We both enjoy our work and could probably earn more money if we were willing to move around or switch jobs (we both have college degrees) but we aren't interested in that at this point. We do live in a low cost of living region of the country and don't need a 6 figure income to live comfortably. She bought her home (I married her after she bought here home) for $70,000 about 10 years ago, and it might be worth $100,000 now. We are both pretty frugal and were able to put away more than 1/4 of our income in tax-advantaged accounts last year. We put enough in our Roth's to max out the Saver's Credit, got a big tax savings maxing out the HSA, and got some tax deferred space contributing to a 457(b) and buying a small amount of I-bonds. We almost have more tax advantaged space available than income so we likely won't ever max out all of our accounts at our current income levels.

One thing I find that is lacking here is investment advice geared towards those of us in the lower marginal tax brackets (which is likely simply the result of a lack of demand, as many people at our income level don't or aren't able to save much). I've thought at times it might be useful to have a section just for those in the 15% marginal tax bracket and below, considering that the average household income is less than $50,000. There are definitely things that are beneficial no matter what your tax bracket is, but there are other things that would be useful for lower income earners to be aware of that they probably aren't. Things like the Saver's Credit, 0% LTCG on investments (for those in the 15% marginal tax bracket and below), using a Roth instead of a 529 for college savings, I-bonds, how to invest with small amounts (less than $3,000), etc. would be information geared towards us vs. information for higher earners, like backdoor Roth IRAs, selecting municipal bond funds, etc. Sure, you can find the information here if you search for it (which is what I did), but it might be beneficial to have it all in one place. It might draw in people who don't make as much money but still want to learn about saving and investing.

I'll admit I was somewhat intimidated initially when I saw the incomes of many of the posters, but I also realized that a good portion of the knowledge here is beneficial no matter what your income. It is nice to know that there are some other posters here who don't make 6 figures and are able to save and live by Boglehead principles. Overall my experience here has been overwhelmingly positive and I've only dealt with a few posters who were condescending or gave me the impression they thought I should be trying to make more money vs. having a career I enjoy for less income.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:01 pm

asif408, I found your post refreshing and inspirational. With your outlook on life you'll do fine. One plays the cards they are dealt and makes the best of what they've been given. Cheers to you!
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:02 pm

asif408 wrote:...One thing I find that is lacking here is investment advice geared towards those of us in the lower marginal tax brackets (which is likely simply the result of a lack of demand, as many people at our income level don't or aren't able to save much).
I agree that it's a lack of demand. We give advice appropriate for the situation. Since October 2011 (the furthest back the internal search engine goes), we have 279 posts which discuss savers credit in the Personal Investments forum (requests for assistance). Anyone who needs assistance meeting expenses, how to payoff loans, how to save, etc. is encouraged to ask for help.
asif408 wrote:...I've thought at times it might be useful to have a section just for those in the 15% marginal tax bracket and below, considering that the average household income is less than $50,000...
I disagree on this one. The last thing anyone needs is to be categorized as "low income". There are a ton of reasons why someone is in one tax bracket or another and I'll leave it at that. Additionally, tax calculations are complicated. We don't want to drive anyone away because they don't understand Marginal tax rate.

(If anyone doesn't understand something, by all means ask. Don't worry about the question being " too simple." If you don't know the answer, it's hard. The hardest questions to answer are those not asked.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Post by 555 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:03 pm

It looks like about 22% have "gross incomes" <$100k/yr and if MFJ they would be in the 15% marginal bracket. That's still a sizeable minority in that bracket. Plenty of retirees will be in that bracket too (and on this forum). I see plenty of advice here for that bracket.

TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:11 pm

EmergDoc wrote: ... A lot of drugs are being prescribed based on less data than that.
Medical quote of the century.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Ninegrams wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:
exactly

Based on what evidence? Anonymous( small sample size) polls? Self reporting? I'm not saying it isn't or can't be true. I'm saying it's a broad statement to make, minus the hard data to back it up. Anyway have fun with your poll, I'm outta here.

Why so much anger? Not everything on this site is mean for everyone.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:01 pm

I retired from the big job in May so I light year but DW was still working so I put down 2014's total.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 am

Locked. Non-actionable.