Insurance Discount for Taking Smart Driver Course

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
tuckeverlasting

Insurance Discount for Taking Smart Driver Course

Post by tuckeverlasting » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:08 am

I took the AARP Smart Driver "refresher" course for seniors and got a $30 annual discount off my auto insurance for 3 years. I didn't ask, but possibly could retake the course after 3 years and get a new discount. I took the course online--cost was about $12 (on sale price), regular price about $15-20 depending if you are AARP member or not. The same class is also offered in real life at various physical locations. AAA has a similar course which also may net a discount.

It is an 8-hour class and I found some parts pretty boring, repetitive and not all that helpful-- but YMMV (your mileage may vary). A lot of it focused on when and how an elderly driver should give up the keys. There was also a fair bit about new auto technology and newer road signage. I think the in-person class would likely be more engaging.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

desiderium

Re: Insurance Discount for Taking Smart Driver Course

Post by desiderium » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:09 pm

I did this and found it was a real hurt. My ability to skim material and perform well on tests was useless as the program was designed to defeat this skill.

Then I requested my discount from Geico. No problem, except that I did not have to submit anything showing that I took the course. It would be tempting in 3 years to simply read the material and check the box to obtain the discount

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Discounts for completion of a defensive driving class are determined by your state's insurance regulatory agency. It varies widely: how much, who qualifies, age requirements, availability.

I reconfirmed this morning: for me, in my state, the maximum discount is $8.48/year.

The best, easiest GEICO offering remains the 8% discount for owning a single share of BRKb. It applies in all 50 states, although it may require some perseverance with phone representatives to secure it.

gt4715b

Post by gt4715b » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Flobes wrote:The best, easiest GEICO offering remains the 8% discount for owning a single share of BRKb. It applies in all 50 states, although it may require some perseverance with phone representatives to secure it.
Is the 8% discount on top of all other discounts that already apply (alumni association, etc.)? Also, can you own the share in a 401k brokerage account?

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:28 pm

In NY GEICO had me take a pathetic on-line course. The content seemed aimed at improving the behavior of people who, judging from the content provided, are beyond hope. A fair amount of it was also wrong. But it triggered the discount so who cares.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:01 pm

The waits can be less bothersome on a machine with more than one browser.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:19 pm

gt4715b wrote:
Flobes wrote:The best, easiest GEICO offering remains the 8% discount for owning a single share of BRKb. It applies in all 50 states, although it may require some perseverance with phone representatives to secure it.
Is the 8% discount on top of all other discounts that already apply (alumni association, etc.)? Also, can you own the share in a 401k brokerage account?
Evidently not. When I called geico about this they said I was maxed out on discounts and BrkB would not lower my rate further