Is CitiBank a Good Company to Do Business With?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Yes
76%
No
14%
I don't know
10%

Total votes: 29

Topic Author
INTRESIS

Post by INTRESIS »

I am thinking about opening the Citi Double Cash card, but I am concerned with all of the negative reviews online.
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Is CitiBank a Good Company to Do Business With?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Assuming you keep up with your end of the bargain, then yes - it's a fine company to do business with. The problems usually crop up when the customer fails to pay as a agreed in the terms and conditions, when one's expectations surpass what is normally and customarily agreed upon or when one expects to get something for free even though in the real world there is normally a cost for it. I've used them before and have never had a problem with them.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
prudent

Post by prudent »

The only relationship I have with Citi is through multiple credit cards and I've never had a problem. I love their Virtual Account Number feature and use it for every online purchase. I make purchases, pay the bill when due, it works.
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

prudent wrote:The only relationship I have with Citi is through multiple credit cards and I've never had a problem. I love their Virtual Account Number feature and use it for every online purchase. I make purchases, pay the bill when due, it works.
+1

In addition, in terms of answering the phone, handling disputed charges, and simply not making mistakes, their customer service (US based) has, in my experience, been way above average.

plannerman
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

I've been a Citibank customer for about 15 years. Just a checking and savings account, nothing else. The relationship has been trouble free. On the rare occasions I go into my branch--maybe once a year, if that--the service is friendly and efficient.

I've paid all my bills through their website for a long time. The interface is intuitive and payments are always made reliably. If I want to see the image of a debit/check, it takes just a couple of clicks.

Setting up and using ACH transfers to/from my brokerage account was hassle free, and over the years of using that service I've never encountered a problem.

Oh, and I pay zero service charges.
midareff

Post by midareff »

INTRESIS wrote:I am thinking about opening the Citi Double Cash card, but I am concerned with all of the negative reviews online.

I have it and use it for everyone that won't take Fidelity's 2% Amex. I have all my plastic set on auto-pay and never have to worry about making a payment. No issues at all.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Yes, it's a small country bank, but you should have no concerns. :wink:
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

INTRESIS wrote:I am thinking about opening the Citi Double Cash card, but I am concerned with all of the negative reviews online.
Citibank is a fine company. I do not recommend playing with credit cards. Working is so much more lucrative.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

plannerman wrote:
prudent wrote:The only relationship I have with Citi is through multiple credit cards and I've never had a problem. I love their Virtual Account Number feature and use it for every online purchase. I make purchases, pay the bill when due, it works.
+1

In addition, in terms of answering the phone, handling disputed charges, and simply not making mistakes, their customer service (US based) has, in my experience, been way above average.

plannerman
Same goes for me. I've been a credit card customer since 1992 and have had nothing but good experiences. And, like plannerman, I use their virtual account numbers for online purchases which identifies each and every vendor in case of any fraud.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I signed up for the Double-Cash-Back card as soon as it came out - it is now my primarily credit card and gives 2% cash-back on everything exactly as promised. I've had other cards from citi throughout the years and have never had an issue. I've never carried a balance - perhaps that's were some of the complaints your reading about are coming from.
goingup

Post by goingup »

I have a Citi cc but rarely use it. One new perk that I am using and enjoying is using the free FICO score they offer. You sign up for the feature and can get your score monthly. I've had no issues with Citi over the years, so I guess that is an endorsement.
wrl

Post by wrl »

I use the double card, works as advertised. I also have checking and savings accounts with Citi for the last 20 years with no problems.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Probably one the better Big Bank Businesses these days.