TurboTax Deluxe

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Winsome

TurboTax Deluxe

Post by Winsome » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:39 pm

I have used TurboTax Deluxe for several years and it serves us nicely. I did read early in the year that folks were making an uproar about the Deluxe no longer including all the forms that it previously did and if you needed those forms, you had to upgrade.
I had an email from Intuit back in February that beginning February 7th, those forms were included. I was looking at a Deluxe box the other day and I didn't see that the full meal deal was there. Perhaps when I buy and load it, the updates will take place?? Do any of you know anything about this.
Winsome

retiredjg

Re: TurboTax Deluxe

Post by retiredjg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:47 pm

I buy TT by download, not the box. But this might apply to you as well. I bought Deluxe because I forgot that I would need one of the missing Schedules. While doing my taxes, TT told me I needed the schedule and it downloaded for free. I suspect the same may happen for you.

Winsome

Post by Winsome » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:31 pm

That sounds reasonable. The email I got was unsolicited, meaning Intuit knows who has been using their product for the past year or so. I guess that would be obvious. It would be no trick on their part to know that I used it in 2013 and make good on their promise to update. I'll buy one in the next few days, eventually get the taxes done, and let you know how it plays out for me.
Winsome

Winsome

Post by Winsome » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Me again. Do you know if TT Deluxe can handle the loss on appreciated stock to charity and still give us the full deduction?
Winsome

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:02 pm

I don't, but there are lots of TT users here. Somebody should know.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:21 pm

Winsome wrote:Me again. Do you know if TT Deluxe can handle the loss on appreciated stock to charity and still give us the full deduction?
Winsome
FYI :happy

https://ttlc.intuit.com/search?utf8=%E2 ... ck&button=
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Winsome

Post by Winsome » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks Toons. Looks like it will work.
Winsome

mainiac

Post by mainiac » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:34 pm

I have used TT for years. I debated buying it again but I did. I didn't feel like learning something new and I didn't know if the previous year data would transfer with a new brand. I bought TT Deluxe. It upgraded me to Premier for free for the schedule D. When I did my brother's taxes ( self employed), it upgraded me to the Business version for free. No issues so far this year.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:08 am

I too bought the "free" version through Vanguard then was surprised to see that they charge a fee for electronic filing.
I am a bit late in the game with our taxes but I will certainly look elsewhere next year. I hate their games.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:16 am

Winsome wrote:Me again. Do you know if TT Deluxe can handle the loss on appreciated stock to charity and still give us the full deduction?
Winsome
What does that mean? "loss on appreciated" is an oxymoron I would think.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:01 am

Winsome wrote:Thanks Toons. Looks like it will work.
Winsome
:thumbsup
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Winsome

Post by Winsome » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:15 pm

livesoft -

You are so right. That would be a gain on appreciated stock.
Winsome

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:14 pm

I'm really grumpy about taxes today. Reading about the TT upgrade games this year pushed me over the edge to say "forget it, no TT for me". So I bought TaxACT, which claimed it would import my data from my previous years return to make life easier. Turns out TaxAct didn't import much more than name and SS number, and entering charitable donations was really painful. And import from my brokerages was broken. My wife said it wasn't worth the aggravation, so go buy TT.

So I buy TT deluxe, which we used for many years, since Intuit had announced that they were going to provide an auto upgrade for their users to mollify folks this year. But last year, I had to file an estate tax return, and a trust form, so I ended up buying Premier last year, and then having to buy home and business as well. So no fix for the deluxe issue for me! And of course, you don't find this until you are halfway through with a bunch of data entry, and phone support doesn't answer the phone.

Intuit has certainly made it to the top of my "Detested Companies" list.

partner

Post by partner » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Hexdump wrote:I too bought the "free" version through Vanguard then was surprised to see that they charge a fee for electronic filing.
I am a bit late in the game with our taxes but I will certainly look elsewhere next year. I hate their games.
Was it the Fed or state it wanted you to pay for?
I filed Fed for free but it wanted 19.95 to do the state. I used a 49 cent stamp.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:46 am

partner wrote:
Hexdump wrote:I too bought the "free" version through Vanguard then was surprised to see that they charge a fee for electronic filing.
I filed Fed for free but it wanted 19.95 to do the state. I used a 49 cent stamp.
It was the Fed e-file. Texas has no state tax.

partner

Post by partner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:30 am

Hexdump wrote:
partner wrote:
This I do not understand at all. It clearly states "5 federal efiles included" , I just went back into vanguard/TT to look. Did you call TT to ask about it?

MilleniumBuc

Post by MilleniumBuc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:56 am

curmudgeon wrote:
So I buy TT deluxe, which we used for many years, since Intuit had announced that they were going to provide an auto upgrade for their users to mollify folks this year. But last year, I had to file an estate tax return, and a trust form, so I ended up buying Premier last year, and then having to buy home and business as well. So no fix for the deluxe issue for me! And of course, you don't find this until you are halfway through with a bunch of data entry, and phone support doesn't answer the phone.

Intuit has certainly made it to the top of my "Detested Companies" list.
I also bought Premiere version last year due to some complicated one-time issues, and bought the Deluxe this year. For those folks, there is a free upgrade to both premier and home business. There is a button or link at the bottom right that says upgrade, but when you hit it, it gives you an upgrade price of $0. Just did it this weekend and it was a flawless update. Hopefully that works for you.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:08 am

partner wrote:
Hexdump wrote:
partner wrote:
This I do not understand at all. It clearly states "5 federal efiles included" , I just went back into vanguard/TT to look. Did you call TT to ask about it?
And now as I recall what I did, I think that I did it to myself.
I started my return using the Vanguard version then switched to the online version for some forgotten reason. The online version charged me the $9.99.
When I get back from vacation I will give them a call.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am

I changed over to Tax Act in protest. And the $12.99 version handled donation of mutual fund shares to charity just fine.

My MIL's simple return was free.

Not near as slick or easy as continuing to use Turbo Tax, but I thought we needed to send a message about the outrageous cost/service.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:52 am

Naismith wrote:I changed over to Tax Act in protest. And the $12.99 version handled donation of mutual fund shares to charity just fine.

My MIL's simple return was free.

Not near as slick or easy as continuing to use Turbo Tax, but I thought we needed to send a message about the outrageous cost/service.
Does Tax Act import from brokerages?

Winsome

Post by Winsome » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:44 am

The upgrade works just like you said it would. I was well into preparing the return for one of my family when I got some weird downloaded info from a brokerage. Somewhere in the mix I got the offer of upgrading "for free" to Premier. I clicked accept and now I am a happy camper. Three more returns to go!

Winsome