Help! Ive been put on a performance improvement plan!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Mill

Help! Ive been put on a performance improvement plan!

Post by Mill »

Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some general, generic advice on how to deal with this. I had a meeting with my manager today and it wasn't good, and its all hitting me pretty hard right now. I take pride in doing a good job, managing difficult situations and the fear of failure is overwhelming me a bit. Id like to get some advice from those with more experience on how to achieve/overcome/manage a situation like this.

Im a low-level manager with about a year of experience. Like 99% of the work force, I try my best to manage directives from the people I report to (management talking out of both sides of their mouth) to ensure I do the right thing for the company (cost savings, client retention, business development etc.) while keeping in mind the feelings/challenges of employees who report to me.

I have 40-50 employees spread throughout a region who are each billable to the client, so I don't work closely with any of them on a daily basis. I find it difficult to manage remotely but its my job to ensure they have what they need to keep themselves productive, happy and not taking advantage of the company too much. Same thing with my clients. I try to keep them happy with our employees, seek out their needs/goals/challenges, provide solutions and not allow them to take advantage of our company too much.

Unfortunately some negative feedback has gotten to my manager from the employees. I seem to have alienated (some of) them. They don't want to call me to discuss needs, wants, client directives, etc, they feel disgruntled. This is reflecting very poorly on me. Ive been told that I need to work on solutions development, not dictating what can/cant be done, teambuilding ideas and alliance development.

Ive made some mistakes in the past, (sending emails I shouldn't have sent, knee-jerk reactions such as sending employees home for wrecking a vehicle without proper investigation, rejecting questionable expenses) but this seems to be about something else.

Ive asked my manager for specific examples of what Ive done wrong, what I could do differently, but was met with resistance to discuss specifics. I think he is thinking more big picture solutions development.

I was sent home today after our discussion to do some thinking about it. Phone shut off, computer confiscated, to develop my own performance improvement plan, to be presented to my manager and the leader of our group on Friday.

Its difficult not to think negatively at this time, and I think they legitimately want me to succeed, but are questioning my fit for this position and this team, as am I. I also know that most of the time a performance improvement plan is the kiss of death, but I have no back up plans for employment. I hate that it seems to be time to dust off the resume and do some serious job searching. I could potentially ask for a demotion to their level, but theres not much work where I live and I don't particularly want to go back into the field.

Im going to do my best to come up with something that keeps me employed for several months while I job search, and see how it goes in the meantime with my current employer (if they even accept my pip and I can get to that point).

Anything the board can add, general advice, similar experiences, thoughts, suggestions, ideas would greatly be appreciated. I have a lot of thinking to do the next couple of days and I don't even know where to start.

Thanks,

mill
livesoft

Re: Help! Ive been put on a performance improvement plan!

Post by livesoft »

You could put all your charges on their own performance improvement plans. :twisted:
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

Mill wrote:
Unfortunately some negative feedback has gotten to my manager from the employees. I seem to have alienated (some of) them. They don't want to call me to discuss needs, wants, client directives, etc, they feel disgruntled. This is reflecting very poorly on me. Ive been told that I need to work on solutions development, not dictating what can/cant be done, teambuilding ideas and alliance development.

Ive made some mistakes in the past, (sending emails I shouldn't have sent, knee-jerk reactions such as sending employees home for wrecking a vehicle without proper investigation, rejecting questionable expenses) but this seems to be about something else.

Ive asked my manager for specific examples of what Ive done wrong, what I could do differently, but was met with resistance to discuss specifics. I think he is thinking more big picture solutions development.
As I was reading along, I thought your description of your management goals was good, and then I hit the reality part above.

I expect a good manager to react in an adult way - no knee jerk reactions, no regrettable emails, no tossing expenses without discussing it with the employee and so on. A manager should be a dependable resource for the people he supervises. If I had a manager who was acting that way, I would not be happy about working for him.

I think the reason your manager is reluctant to discuss specifics is that he doesn't want you to go to the specific employees and harass them, plus they would be reluctant to provide feedback in the future.

The phone shut off, computer confiscated sounds pretty alarming to me. I would actually expect to be fired pretty quickly in this situation. Maybe you can stretch out the job a bit, and give the performance improvement thing a try, but I would be sending out my resume and networking.

It may be that management is not for you.
Dumbo

Post by Dumbo »

Well Dale Carnegie would recommend you internally accept the worst (you will be fired) and then try to improve on that situation. So coming up with proposals such as demotion is a good thing to do, improving your attitude (whatever that means) and how you handle the team is also something you can do. Sometimes the perception of trying matters more. The silver lining is that you have anywhere from 1-3 months warning now before you're fired, so take that time to find a new job in your area or relocate to a new area. That's much better than layoffs which are usually instant and you're out on the street.

Pick up this book, read the first 3 chapters (takes 30 mins) and you'll not only feel a lot better but will have a new toolset on how to handle this very frustrating situation.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Stop-Worrying ... B003WIYCCY
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - Isaac Asimov
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

Without more info on your corporate culture it's hard to offer advice. In some organizations, management preaches but doesn't mean it. In others they do. Given that this arose from employee complaints, I wonder if you have misread how much pressure you are supposed to put on them. What industry are you in?

What problems does your group have that team building might solve?
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

It's only a kiss of death of you put it in your mind it is. It's all about your response, and your future is directly related to what you do in the next 36 hours. I've had many people on a PIP and it was amazing the turn around that they did, the results they drove, and the overall improvement as an employee that resulted in it. In fact one went from the fringe of firing to being promoted the next year.

You've got to be very honest with yourself right now. Be tough on yourself, don't let you or anyone else play on the worlds smallest violin cry me a river. The previous poster is right, Dale says you need to accept that your going to be fired, and move on with it. However you are not fired yet.

I wish someone on this board could tell you exactly what you need to do it. However that is within you. You will figure it out, things have to work themselves, and as cliche as it is, everything does happen for a reason. In this case either as a wake up call, or to lead you down another path that you are intended to be on.

Take time, go on a walk, drive around, do something that relaxes you right now. Clear your mind, don't think about it for the afternoon. Then by this evening you'll be able to start working on your plan. Get yourself a nice dinner, a wine or :beer and settle in to do some work for yourself. In the end this is what the PIP's are meant to be.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

This does not sound good. Expect to be fired. Very few people come back from PIPs to begin with, much less when their equipment has been confiscated. You need to focus on the end game. You need to focus on getting whatever severance you can (lump sum is preferred)- check with HR for the severance policy. You may want to drop some words like constructive dismissal, etc. so they know you may not go quietly. One of the key things to focus on is how much history do they have on you. How many times have they spoken to you about these issues, etc. You have a better case if this has just been sprung on you. Managers notoriously keep poor records which you can use to your advantage. Bottom line is that they want you gone but want to avoid a lawsuit. You want to secure as much severance as possible and even look at negotiating whether they will cover some of your Cobra costs during the severance period. Also look to see how much vacation you are owed and try to negotiate a partial bonus payment if you are bonus eligible and leaving before the annual bonus pays out.
dolphinsaremammals

shepherd wrote:This does not sound good. Expect to be fired. Very few people come back from PIPs to begin with, much less when their equipment has been confiscated. You need to focus on the end game. You need to focus on getting whatever severance you can (lump sum is preferred)- check with HR for the severance policy. You may want to drop some words like constructive dismissal, etc. so they know you may not go quietly. One of the key things to focus on is how much history do they have on you. How many times have they spoken to you about these issues, etc. You have a better case if this has just been sprung on you. Managers notoriously keep poor records which you can use to your advantage. Bottom line is that they want you gone but want to avoid a lawsuit. You want to secure as much severance as possible and even look at negotiating whether they will cover some of your Cobra costs during the severance period. Also look to see how much vacation you are owed and try to negotiate a partial bonus payment if you are bonus eligible and leaving before the annual bonus pays out.
As I recall, dimly, from when I once fired someone, the company had rules about how many warnings had to be issued in writing before a person could be fired. I assume some flagrantly bad activity would be the exception to this, but it doesn't sound like that's the case with the OP.

Don't forget about handling a 401K, pension, employee stock, etc.

I see from his previous posts that the OP lives with his parents, so we can stop worrying that he's going to be homeless.
Topic Author
Mill

Post by Mill »

I really appreciate everyones responses so far. I think its a fantastic idea to take a walk, clear my mind, and come back and attack this tonight. And Ive already ordered that book. Thank you very much!
dolphinsaremammals wrote:
shepherd wrote:
I see from his previous posts that the OP lives with his parents, so we can stop worrying that he's going to be homeless.
LOL. its true. That made me smile for the first time today. :D Im actually somewhat worried about disappointing them.

I know Ive got a lot of growing up to do.
gbru316

Post by gbru316 »

You might be able to find a professional leadership development course either locally or online. Enrolling in one should help your case.
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

Mill wrote:I really appreciate everyones responses so far. I think its a fantastic idea to take a walk, clear my mind, and come back and attack this tonight. And Ive already ordered that book. Thank you very much!
dolphinsaremammals wrote:
shepherd wrote:
LOL. its true. That made me smile for the first time today. :D Im actually somewhat worried about disappointing them.

I know Ive got a lot of growing up to do.
Well whatever you do, DO NOT put anything like that in your SIP. That, or anything like that, will just give them more justification to let you go, without going through the entire process. "See here, he said he had growing up to do".

Keep your SIP focused on the actions you are going to take, and the next steps. Give them a few courses of action that they can take, so you can tell them you gave them viable options. Depending on your work history, and how you were before you were a manager, the most viable option would be to demote you. And let you continue to building your managerial skills (especially attractive to the employer if you are in a hard to recruit for position, or if you were a particular good workbee). If you really want to go for it, ask for a 6 month probationary period that if X,Y and Z metrics aren't filled, further steps will be taken, or something like that.
Dumbo

Post by Dumbo »

When you've read some of "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" and you're in a better spot I recommend you pick up "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Both of these books are nearly 100 years old now and offer invaluable knowledge. Do I practice all of it all the time? Hardly, but at least I'm aware and they are resources I keep going back to over and over again every few months. From what little you've described I can already see you're breaking several of Dale's guidelines in "How to win friends" and it's not hard to imagine how a lot of little things combined have led to where you are now.

One story that stuck with me is how Lincoln handled General Meade in 1863. After the battle of Gettysburg general Meade pursued Lee until Lee had reached an impassable river, he couldn't escape. With Lincoln notified of this he ordered the general to capture Lee's army and end the war immediately. Meade refused and after some days the water receded and Lee escaped thereby extending the war indefinitely. So if anyone had a reason to be pissed off ever it was Lincoln, and instead here's the letter he wrote to Meade:

http://www.historyplace.com/civilwar/lett-6.htm

I retell the story only to remind you to be careful how and when you criticise others. If Lincoln could find it in his heart to move on and forgive and never send that letter to Meade, then sure you can do the same with a stupid expense report that has neither the magnitude nor impact of a civil war.
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - Isaac Asimov
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Whatever you do, remember that HR has NONE of your interest in anything and is likely building evidence to be used against you. I would get resumes out. I was threatened with a similar plan as a cover for company policy to push anyone over 55 out of the company
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
epitomist

Post by epitomist »

The #1 reason why people end up in your situation is a lack of effective communication. A lack of communication with your direct reports and a lack of communication with your manager.

Your management is almost assuredly going through the process of firing you while simultaneously trying to "manage you out" - i.e. make you feel negative enough to quit. It is unlikely you will be able to salvage this. Having said that, it's worth a shot.

First off, don't go out taking a walk. Don't read some book you should have read 5 years ago. Do that stuff later - now is the time for decisive, focused action.

You know who is disgruntled. You've known for a while, but you've allowed it to fester. You instead should've picked up the phone and called them, spoke about the elephant in the room (i.e. the tension and its cause) and worked out a mutually acceptable resolution. You need to communicate, communicate, communicate. Don't let there be any unspoken tensions between anyone. You also need to communicate with the proper channels (ex: don't put criticism in writing).

The entire focus of your PIP should be on how you are going to be a better communicator and facilitator. Because frankly that is your job. The consultants you manage are the rainmakers and some of those people appear to believe you're in their way. Management is going to listen to them because they're the ones billing hours and you're just a very replaceable middle manager with poor communication skills.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

I'm sure you're a great guy, but you sound like a horrible boss. I'm glad the company is finally doing something about it. I wish mine had PIP'd the low-level managers who made my life a misery.

If you're serious about retaining your job, go to to them on bended knees with a mea culpa-filled list of resolutions: "Yes, I want to be a better manager and human being. I need training (or retraining.)" As indicated above, communication is key. And a ton of 1:1 apologies would go down well. Just pretend you're doing that atonement step in rehab. Maybe you'll feel better and your blood pressure will drop.

Be careful about direct contact with HR, though. And reading self-help books is pointless at this stage.
midareff

Post by midareff »

It seems to me that the issues involve a lack of communications up and down, and in your perception of your job function. You are not the enforcer, you are the facilitator.. or more plainly, it is your responsibility to make sure all of the field agents have the tools, coordination and support to be the best "rainmakers" possible. When they are griping over your head it is plain that communications, support and the coordination function are not happening. I believe your PIP needs to focus directly on those concerns and what steps you are going to take to correct that situation and facilitate the entire field support spectrum.

Before I retired I was responsible directly and indirectly for about 35 - 40 field facility managers and a half dozen or so of their on-site report 2's. I never lost site of the reason for my position ... which was to make sure the front line personnel had fast and easy access to anything and everything they needed for them to service their customer (hands on) in the most cost effective manner, and at times if that's what it took, not the most cost effective manner. The people we serviced had to get their jobs done, so ours was to make sure they could do their jobs by us doing our support function. Your job is a support function and those who report to you seriously don't think you are supporting them. Travel, car, etc., expenses..... never send anything back until AFTER you have talked to your employee. .. and softly. As in.. Joe, I'm trying to tidy up the group's report and if I get asked about this one I will need to explain it. Can you explain it to me so I will know? Emails are plain Jane neutral and factual. It's business, you aren't writing a scorned love letter. Knee jerk decisions.. really? Why would you go on record with any decision this isn't well thought out? You are building your own record of management performance. The items you need to clean up are many for a young manager, and are probably mistakes you should learn from regardless of the outcome in this situation. .

That said, with a short deadline PIP and the badge and gun confiscated I would tend to think the decision has already been made and they are following company protocol up to the final. Wish I had better news for you but give it the best sales job you can.
Last edited by midareff on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

You could use the improvement plan as incentive to pull together thoughts of your past year as objectively as possible (no mention of specific instances or employees or management as it's beyond that now). Write down what you did wrong, what you did right, what you liked and were good at, what you did not like and were not good at and how you would improve. But you would be doing this not only for the current company; you would also be doing it for your future with another company if it comes to that. In other words, use it as a bridge from past to future. Good luck.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

epitomist wrote: First off, don't go out taking a walk. Don't read some book you should have read 5 years ago. Do that stuff later - now is the time for decisive, focused action.
This is what got the OP in trouble in the first place. :happy
:beer
dolphinsaremammals

I'm wondering about that improvement plan in writing. I would not like to see an unfortunate one get to a future employer or the like, or if there is any possibility of legal action involving this one. Tread carefully.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Your only hope of salvaging your position is to come up with a PIP that shows a genuine commitment to change your interaction and responsiveness with subordinates. I do not think you are facing imminent termination but you could be if you do not have a good PIP. You should have a better idea of what those improvement things should be. One certainly is toning down your response to problems and bad news. Acknowledge this problem and state your commitment to improve that. Another concrete item could be to communicate with every subordinate at least once a week (at a minimum but it may be appropriate to do so more often depending upon circumstances) and respond to every voice message or email from staff within x hours. You could also ask your staff for feedback on how you can improve your interaction with them (without getting into what your management told you, just stating you want to make sure you are interacting with them and supporting them properly). Nothing is more frustrating to staff than a manager who does not respond to their requests in a reasonable timeframe. You could also commit to management training for yourself, either from local colleges or online courses. Showing a genuine commitment to improve your management ability is important and should convey to your management that you want to be successful. After all, managing a staff of 35 is not an innate thing and you were essentially thrown to the wolves. Remote managers can often improve staff and client relationships by visiting them at their sites occasionally. This may not be practical but it usually pays dividends when done.

Best wishes in turning your situation around.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

I guess this shows how different companies are. Because everywhere I've been this means you are walking fired.
Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III »

Live by the golden rule, including at work. Treat people like you'd like to be treated. This might or might not be the beginning of the end at your current job, but in any case, learn from your mistakes.
Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig »

good luck OP but phone+laptop confiscated means they are ACTUALLY finding something on those devices to uncover some mess that has occured for which they are blaming you already. You're beyond fired

Sounds like the best course is a stiff drink, chin up, and on to the next job. I'm sure it will be better!
gbru316

Post by gbru316 »

Manbaerpig wrote:good luck OP but phone+laptop confiscated means they are ACTUALLY finding something on those devices to uncover some mess that has occured for which they are blaming you already. You're beyond fired

Sounds like the best course is a stiff drink, chin up, and on to the next job. I'm sure it will be better!
Any competant IT department can do this anytime they want without physically handling the devices, provided it is connected to a network.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

If this happens to be a large enough company that the press reports on it, and if the press is reporting that the company is trying to make a major reduction in its workforce, then you should proceed on the assumption that you're not likely to get your job back.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
gbru316

Post by gbru316 »

nisiprius wrote:If this happens to be a large enough company that the press reports on it, and if the press is reporting that the company is trying to make a major reduction in its workforce, then you should proceed on the assumption that you're not likely to get your job back.

Possibly. I believe there is a certain percentage that the company can lay off before reporting needs to occur. It's been my experience that companies are having more frequent, smaller layoffs to avoid this mandated reporting.

Either way, I think a "hope for the best, plan for the worst" strategy is prudent given the OP's situation.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

If it were a term on Friday this would be a suspension pending investigation, yes? RIFs, etc. usually don't involve PIPs, unless the RIF is coming several months later but even still those don't necessitate PIPS. Sometimes management really needs the person to improve. I've seen many employees survive them, get better, or bide time till management changed and the situation was forgotten or roles changed.

I've seen employees put on PIPs go nuts with intra-company emails lambasting management, disclosing imprudent information, etc. so perhaps the confiscation was to assess how OP handles the situation and seems like a prudent step. The end may be near, but there is really only one option for OP which is to take the situation seriously and make a presentation to the manager on basic commitments. The written version should come from the manager with employee buy-in and clear goals, which shouldn't be related to evidence building.

One in the corporate world should always have a network and updated resume, plus that handy E-fund. These things allow you to have confidence when dealing with situations like this.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

At my former company (Megacorp) I observed that PIPs were not really intended to be successful, although I know some people who were able to turn things around. None of us has any way of knowing whether your manager is just setting you up to ultimately fail or would like to see you succeed.

My recommendation: First decide whether you want to remain with this company and in this job. There is nothing shameful in recognizing that a corporate culture is a bad fit. If you really do want to try to make a go of it, you are going to have to be sincere in showing your willingness to change and humble in accepting criticism. (This is not the same as becoming a doormat.) This may or may not save your job, but this episode can be a valuable learning experience for you.

And to reiterate what someone above said: HR is NOT your friend. They are there to protect the company, not you. Never forget that.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

Hi Mill,

What miserable day you have had.

I can not believe they took you computer and confiscated your phone without firing you on the spot.
My take is that they want you to resign.

Do not do it.

What resources do you have other than this forum you can discuss this with?

Im my opinion the best defense is offense. Make clear that you are determined and are committed to do what it takes to be a success. What documentation do they have? How can you learn from this review doing the best job in trying circumstances given your training and supervision. Make clear that you are appalled about unfair and unsubstantiated crititism and that you have right as a manager to see what you can do, to improve and for that you need facts and need to see the documentation they have.

What was supervision/guidance program/ performance improvement plan, they have in place for you to succeed?
Go through the handbook and copy their guidelines as to what according to the company may constitute a performance improvement plan and what the company considers appropiate supervision.

Make clear to the reviewer that you want to meet with his/her superior in addition as to what appeal procedures,there are for this performance review.

If it does not work for you at least you have given the next guy a change for fairer review.

Polish of your resume.

Good luck.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Topic Author
Mill

Post by Mill »

OP here.

Fantastic responses, and I appreciate everyones time taken to review and advise.

Ive worked all day today to come up with some notes which I will turn into an outline and present to management on Friday.

We are a smallish company. Me and my manager and my mangers manager work relatively closely together. Call me nieve, but I believe them that want me to be phone and computer-less so I can concentrate on my pip and not communicate officially with other similar-level managers or subordinates or clients. Punishment by isolation, or at least that's what Im thinking based on how well I think I know them. If Im wrong, so be it. Good for them, they took a phone and computer so I wouldn't make inappropriate calls or emails. Doesn't matter, I wouldn't want to anyway.

Im not looking to make waves right now. My pip will have my goals and resolutions outlined, along with some mild groveling, appreciating their second chances. I think its probable that it will be accepted, and Ill then go on a 30, 60, 90? day probationary period, then reassess??? I haven't decided if I want a long term future with this company, but Im leaning towards no. I would like an opportunity to improve, and I think they'll afford me that. Unfortunately, if I were to "suddenly leave the company mid-pip" I do think there would be hard feelings. Im just hoping to get to that point.
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

I think there are already hard feelings.
4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches »

Sorry OP, but I'm guessing you are a terrible manager and some degree of a jerk to your direct reports. Things must be pretty bad for your direct reports and other things you are doing\not doing that personnel above you are going as far as a formal PIP. Polish off that resume and LinkedIn account. I'd also review how ready your household is for an unemployment stint.

Unless you work in civil service or some highly unionized area where is possible to come back from a PIP you are likely doomed.
billern

Post by billern »

OP, this is also a good time to evaluate what you are doing and whether you want to continue down the same path. Do you like being in management? What about the industry you are in? The specific company?

I would not consider quitting without something else lined up. It may be worth considering a move (different employer, different industry, or not management) if you are not happy with the work and you should start looking for opportunities if you want a change. Best of luck!
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

My advice is for you to immediately resign before you are terminated. It may already be too late.
billern

Post by billern »

Trader Joe wrote:My advice is for you to immediately resign before you are terminated. It may already be too late.
His former employer will not disclose anything beyond title and dates of employment in either case due to potential liability. What benefit would he get by quitting now?
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

If you get fired, you don't get paid. If you resign, you don't get paid but you avoid the emotional impact of getting fired. Dollar-wise, neither scenario is an improvement over the other so steel yourself to ignore the emotional impact in order to get as much financial compensation as possible.

In terms of your future beyond this company, it does sound like you misread your job position badly (support/secretarial/book-keeper vs an actual manager). You always have to think about how companies makes money as those that bring in the money have real power over their supposed managers.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

In California you cannot be fired without delivering your final paycheck. With my megacorp's payroll back east, you could do anything and not be fired for legal reasons.

You can have your badge and equipment confiscated, and be ordered not to go on company property until invited (presumably the next business day when the final check arrives FedEx). But you'll get 1 more day of pay and have that much time to make it a voluntary termination by resigning.

PIPs happen all the time. Roughly half result in terminations. Half don't. Confiscating equipment is a real bad sign. Your performance can't improve without your gear.

So you're not performing in your current job (reminder: their opinion is all that matters). Options:

1) Convince them they are wrong and it's not your fault. This will fail and you'll get fired. I just wanted to make that clear.

2) convince them you realize you've messed up and will try to improve in the current job. With confiscated equipment I doubt this will be successful but perhaps I'm wrong. They did ask you to write your own PIP.

3). Convince them you realize you've messed up and will try to be a productive employee as an individual contributor (voluntary demotion). Presumably if you were managing a group you could be one of the group and let someone else manage. You'd have to check your ego at the door and eat humble pie, but you might keep a steady paycheck. The OP didn't see this as a good option.

4) voluntary termination. You resign. The company always prefers this. In future job applications you won't have to worry about the "have you ever been fired" question. A big disadvantage is you won't be eligible for unemployment ( check this, I am not a lawyer and rules may vary by state). They may offer you money to go quietly (a "mutual termination with package"). Managers hate firing people. Even if they've decided to fire you they will jump if you make it voluntary and sign a resignation letter.

5) involuntary termination. You go in and try to eat humble pie but refuse to voluntarily resign. In the end they may pull the trigger and fire you. Advantages: unemployment insurance, delay while they get their paperwork in order. The disadvantage is how you answer the "have you ever been fired" question on future job applications.

I personally prefer #4 over #5 as an employee. As a manager I also preferred #4 over #5. But up if you need the unemployment that's moot (check this, I am not a lawyer).

It sounds like the OP was going to go with #2 (try to improve in current role) followed by #5 (keep job as long as possible for financial reasons till they actually do fire you--if it comes to that).
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

darrellr wrote:In future job applications you won't have to worry about the "have you ever been fired" question.
Is this really a big advantage? Many job applications immediately follow "Have you ever been terminated?" with "Have you ever voluntarily resigned to avoid termination?" or some similar formulation, so I'm not sure how much that really helps. Also, if it takes the person resigning long enough to get a new job that there is a gap on the resume, it might be better to explain that you were pushed out the door than to claim that you weren't pushed, but you resigned anyway, even though you had nothing else lined up. The latter explanation could make you look impulsive and not very bright.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Over my 33 year career with Mega Corp I saw a lot of people go through the PIP process. I can't think of a single one that was employed 6 months later.
Things might be different in a smaller company but I would start polishing the resume and contemplating if you want to stay in the same line of work.
Good Luck.
dolphinsaremammals

Unemployment benefits can be a significant amount of money. I would not toss that away by resigning. Also, it always looks better to be employed when looking for a new job.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

One rule of thumb everyone should follow. Never ever ever send negative emails/text messages/instant messages to coworkers. This is a very easy paper trail to avoid. Those emails could come back to haunt you! If you really need to get a point across to someone, schedule a meeting with that person and your manager and discuss in person.

As far as your PIP...its not good. The reason these plans exist is to protect the employer in the event they fire you. Its an easy way for them to avoid a lawsuit. Ive been through a PIP...after the 3 months on the plan I straightened up, everything checked out...I was no longer on the PIP. Couple months after that I was fired. Again...this is a first step of them getting you out the door without repercussions against the company. Once they start the PIP process, you can almost always assume the worst.

Learn from my mistakes, I didnt see the writing on the wall. You need to formulate a plan and present it to your manager. Keep working hard so they dont get rid of you. In the meantime, you need to start looking for a new job...seriously, revamp your resume and start applying. Its always easier to find a job when you currently have one. Less pressure, you wont look as desperate, and you'll still have all your medical benefits in place.

Good luck, I wish you the best. And you do sound like a terrible manager. May want to interview for a different position next time.
MGBGTV8

Post by MGBGTV8 »

Use this as an opportunity to honestly confront your mistakes, and use this as a professional development exercise.
Best case- you keep your job; worst case is that you get a plan, maybe some feedback from your current management, and some time to pull together a lessons learned before you leave.

It may be that the lesson learned is not that you did the wrong thing, but that you did the right thing in the wrong manner, or in a way that ruffled too many feathers. The lesson learned might be to get your own management buy-in before taking actions that might agitate your people.

What I hope you get out of this is being able to answer the typical interview question on "What was your worst failure?" in a way that enhances your chances of being hired at your next interview!
TroutMD

Post by TroutMD »

Please purchase and read 'Drive' by Pink.

Good luck,
GT
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I worked at a large software company for 19 years. Starts with Micro and ends with the opposite of "hard".

If you received this message you were toast. There was essentially no way to recover even if your performance improved dramatically and quickly.

I'll give you an example. A manager is tasked to hire a new team. They cherry pick a group of 10 top performers. A year later 1 of the 10 must go. The team could be killing it. All 10 could be essentially the same. But they are evaluated and 1 or 2 are identified.

I left but the system is still in place. They say they changed, but they still have an automatic flushing of the "bottom" 5-7%. It creates a toxic culture.

I don't miss it at all. Good luck. Life is short. I'd start looking for a new/better job.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

You will never regain upward mobility in this company after being on a PIP. It's a fool's errand to pretend otherwise. Even if they let you stay on permanently, you will never be seen as a star.

If you want to grow your career, you need to look elsewhere post haste. That said, go through the motions and learn from your mistakes and try to stay on, as it's a lot easier to get hired when you still have a job. Most importantly, try to talk to the people who were going above you and figure out honestly what their problem with you was. Do it earnestly, as you want to not repeat in the future.

But I'd be out the door as soon as I had another place to land.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

bloom2708 wrote:I worked at a large software company for 19 years. Starts with Micro and ends with the opposite of "hard".

If you received this message you were toast. There was essentially no way to recover even if your performance improved dramatically and quickly.

I'll give you an example. A manager is tasked to hire a new team. They cherry pick a group of 10 top performers. A year later 1 of the 10 must go. The team could be killing it. All 10 could be essentially the same. But they are evaluated and 1 or 2 are identified.

I left but the system is still in place. They say they changed, but they still have an automatic flushing of the "bottom" 5-7%. It creates a toxic culture.

I don't miss it at all. Good luck. Life is short. I'd start looking for a new/better job.
You must have been Dynamics :)
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Personally if it were me, I would resign my position. I was in a similar situation about 22 years ago and I didn't want to go through the humiliation. My performance improvement plan would have lasted six months and I did not like the people I worked for. So I cut my losses and resigned.

If they have cut off your phone and computer, that is a pretty big sign to me that you will get fired soon.

But each situation and each company is different. It might be that you could work your way out of this. My take is that your company is doing this to cover themselves legally and perhaps to relieve guilt.

There are times that job situations just don't work out. Sometimes it is just personalities. You may have to cut your losses and move on. That is what I did. One reason I quit was that I was getting tired of my career and wanted to make a change. I didn't want to continue on the path I was on and that made my decision much easier.
A fool and his money are good for business.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Keep in mind there is a time imbalance between you and your manager. Your manager still has a presumably a lot of direct reports to manage AND a segment of a business to run. Their time is still spread thin AND dealing with your PIP and monitoring and documenting is only one aspect of all of their duties.

When an employee gets put on a PIP - dealing with it generally consumes most of their time. Yes, you still have your own duties to do - but generally the employee on the PIP - rightfully so - focuses on preserving their job and managing the PIP process.

So, use this to your advantage. Document everything. When you have in person one on ones with your manager, document extensively and specifically what was discussed. In particular, document in writing any discussion about your assessment of how you have performed against the improvement plan goals, your bosses assessment (which may be counter to your points), and then specifically address how you have improved on the points they are bringing up. If the boss does not address your emails specifically, send follow up emails "confirming" that they agree with your outline of the meeting and progress against goals. If the meetings are simply too contentious - proactively get HR involved.

Proactively, schedule skip level one on one's with your bosses boss. You want to get an opportunity to manage how this is being seen by all levels in the organization. If possible, you want to try to get a more positive assessment of the chain of command. Proactively document these conversations in email.

If you have good relations with your peers or even your bosses peers - you may want to recruit them to provide feedback as well.

Some companies require pretty diligent and complete documentation by the manager to actually fire an employee for performance issues (some don't, but that is a different issue.). This usually requires a lot of time, documentation, and effort that is a huge hurdle for managers to get over. So, drive the discussion, document in email (and print out emails), follow up on emails to get feedback in writing, and be proactive on avenues that require the manager to spend time on them. In some companies, the manager may simply let it slide or allow you to transfer, cause it's easier than following the PIP through to termination.

Also, don't tell your company this, but spend a hundred or 2 and consult a lawyer familiar with employment issues. Understand your rights. Have the lawyer tell you if the company is doing anything illegal in this process.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

leonard wrote: If the meetings are simply too contentious - proactively get HR involved....

Also, don't tell your company this, but spend a hundred or 2 and consult a lawyer familiar with employment issues. Understand your rights. Have the lawyer tell you if the company is doing anything illegal in this process.
Agree with everything in this post (do read it) except these two points.

HR works for the company and you going to them is not going to help your case in any way. HR is not your friend. If your manager is ignoring you, HR is working to fire you. Going to them will do nothing positive at all, period, full stop.

If you are about to lose your job and you admit you've performed poorly, I would also save your hundred or two and own your mistake rather than trying to make a legal case out of it. Put your energy into finding a new position.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

First off, Its sad this has happened, all you can do now is learn from your mistakes, and do better in the future.

As others have stated, a lot of this depends on the company culture, and the business yall are in. We have a PIP type plan within my large company. It is either delivered as a wake up call to individuals that have become lazy, or need a kick in the a$$, or to force under performers out. I do agree that taking your equipment was a big upfront step.

Having a team of 50 individuals, especially remote, can be a huge struggle. That is 50 different personalities, 50 different ways of doing business, and 50 different lives to get to know. IMO remote employees need more attention than office workers so they feel they are apart of the team. This can be done by video calls, 5 minute daily conversations, monthly check ins, or a combination of all. its not necessarily a bad thing for coworkers to not like their manager, after all you are suppose to be pushing them to become better employees, but it doesnt sound like this is what that is about.

If I were you, I would figure out where you stand with the company, probably best to sit down with your boss again. If they do want you to become better, sit down with other individuals in your shoes, buy them lunch, and figure out what works for them.