Checking alternatives to USAA (non-military)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tj-longterm

Checking alternatives to USAA (non-military)

Post by tj-longterm »

Hi,

Although I'm grandfathered into a USAA checking plan, our family doesn't quality for most USAA services (our parents may have been in the military, but they won't sign up for USAA). I love a lot about USAA -- helpful customer service representatives, ATM fee credits, simple website with a lot of control. However, without qualifying for USAA services, USAA locks us out of a lot of the features of our bank account: no electronic check deposit, no online wire transfers, reduced overdraft protection, and the list goes on.

I've been with USAA for almost 10 years, but all my past experiences with any of the big banks were miserable (attempts to nickel and dime and charge for every last thing, poor websites, poor customer service). Is this still the case? Might I be happy somewhere else now?

Thanks for your suggestions!

:sharebeer
dbltrbl

Re: Checking alternatives to USAA (non-military)

Post by dbltrbl »

Credit Unions. Pentagon Federal with a one time donation to qualifying organization. Fidelity smart cash account, free checks free ATMS worldwide, no minimum, deposit checks by your smart phones etc. No need to go to big banks.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Times have changed. Big banks have all the features you want and no fees. Of course, you have to sign up for the no-fee accounts.

I don't suppose you missed yesterday's USAA checking thread, but just in case:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159334
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Schwab Investor Checking or the Fidelity Cash Management Account. Everything free! ATM Reimbursed. These are the best accounts I have utilized.
Topic Author
tj-longterm

Post by tj-longterm »

Thank you for the responses. I did in fact completely miss the very recent thread (I had found some much older ones). Thank you again for your thoughts!
Dumbo

Post by Dumbo »

I bank with Ally. 1% yield on savings, free ATM withdrawals anywhere in the country (reimbursed), very nice and user-friendly website (something that gets overlooked a lot).
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - Isaac Asimov
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Folks who stick with USAA through "thick and thin" generally do so because they get the SSA and senior bonus (don't ask). Folks starting afresh (without such benefits going forward) might look at Alliant Credit Union (see my comments in other threads). As a general rule, you should receive at or about 1% on a savings account (Alliant pays 0.9%). You should be able to keep funds in your savings account earning said rate until you transfer them to a linked checking account. Ideally, said linked checking account should provide the first order of checks free (Alliant does, 200 checks), have no per-check charge (Alliant does not), and no gimmicks (ditto).

Ironically enough, those of us who became members of USAA, back in the early 70's, feel it's lost its way. We'll use it so long as it makes sense, but there's no sense of brand loyalty. It's similar to an AMEX card. Years ago, having an American Express card meant you'd "arrived". Today, nothing. Years ago, having a USAA credit card meant you were a veteran, probably an officer, and were at least worth a nod*. Today, it's just a credit card.

*Not surprisingly, this last happened back in 2010, in Kansas City, in the PenFed office. At the VFW HQ. The nice lady said she could waive the credit check (etc.) when I opened my PenFed CD since I had a USAA credit card. I was obviously a trustworthy soul. I reminded her I was lending "her" money, not vice-versa, so I responded by asking her why she needed a credit check in the first place.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

I'm in the process of switching from Wells Fargo to Capital One 360. No fees, slightly higher interest (negligible though), plenty of free ATMs, online checks, etc. Plus they're giving me $200 to open the account. There is no reason to pay any banking fees nowadays.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

tj-longterm wrote:Hi,

Although I'm grandfathered into a USAA checking plan, our family doesn't quality for most USAA services (our parents may have been in the military, but they won't sign up for USAA). I love a lot about USAA -- helpful customer service representatives, ATM fee credits, simple website with a lot of control. However, without qualifying for USAA services, USAA locks us out of a lot of the features of our bank account: no electronic check deposit, no online wire transfers, reduced overdraft protection, and the list goes on.

I've been with USAA for almost 10 years, but all my past experiences with any of the big banks were miserable (attempts to nickel and dime and charge for every last thing, poor websites, poor customer service). Is this still the case? Might I be happy somewhere else now?

Thanks for your suggestions!

:sharebeer
I'm same boat as you. Grandfathered into a USAA checking but without the legacy of parents in the military.

I'm not sure what features you aren't getting but the electronic check deposit with my iPhone works just fine. I just downloaded the USAA iPhone ap and do all my banking that way. Takes electronic check deposits via the iPhone camera just fine and does instant transfers back and forth between my other checking account with my local credit union.

Basically my wife and I use our local teachers credit union for our primary checking and we use the USAA as our ATM card and international travel card so it doesn't get our primary use. We do that because our local credit union doesn't do the free anywhere in the world ATM transactions like USAA does.