How much did you have saved up for retirement at age 30?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
NeutrinoPerson

How much did you have saved up for retirement at age 30?

Post by NeutrinoPerson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:11 am

See title.

1. By the time you were age 30, how much did you have saved up in your retirement accounts (in today's terms http://www.usinflationcalculator.com )? 401k, Roth IRA, etc?

2. Was it not enough? Just right? More than enough? Why?
Last edited by NeutrinoPerson on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

livesoft

Re: How much did you have saved up for retirement at age 30?

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:15 am

Let's see. Maybe $5,000. I didn't start working at a "real job" until I was 29. I didn't own a car and rented an apartment in New York.

It was apparently more than enough as I semi-retired at age 50.

Edit: In today's terms, that would be about $10,000. But I had traveled to many parts of the world and lived overseas at low pay before then.
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

island

Post by island » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:32 am

OMG are you kidding me? I have no idea, that was 2 decades ago and at 30 retirement was the last thing on my mind! Like Livesoft, it couldn't have been much since only a few years into my first real job after grad school, had student debt and a new mortgage. I saved in my 401K, but rarely gave it a thought; just put it on autopilot. Must have been enough because DH and I could most likely pack it in now, but we're not pining away to retire yet.

I think in most cases 30 is too young to predict where life is going to take you and what's enough or not will not be evident until much later.

tj

Post by tj » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 am

I'll be 30 later this year. I'm at roughly ~100k in retirement and taxable investments + another $100k in real estate equity. I got lucky in that I bought RE in early 2010 after the real estate market crashed (w/ some parental help on the down payment) and I got lucky in that I started investing in late 2009 after the stock market crashed. Also lucky in that I had no student loan debt which precluded me to take advantage of those opportunities like many peers have.

I hope that i continue to have the same "luck", but I don't really expect it. I plan to diversify out of the real estate late this year and also to decrease my equity holdings as my portfolio grows. Getting nervous, though it may be completely irrational.
Last edited by tj on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:50 am

island wrote:OMG are you kidding me? I have no idea, that was 2 decades ago and at 30 retirement was the last thing on my mind! Like Livesoft, it couldn't have been much since only a few years into my first real job after grad school, had student debt and a new mortgage. I saved in my 401K, but rarely gave it a thought; just put it on autopilot. Must have been enough because DH and I could most likely pack it in now, but we're not pining away to retire yet.

I think in most cases 30 is too young to predict where life is going to take you and what's enough or not will not be evident until much later.
I disagree completely. Perhaps for those who are high income earners later in life it's fine, but for the rest saving early goes a long way to taking advantage of compounding. The fact that people don't think about retirement early in life is what gets them into trouble. Op, good question. I can't remember the exact amount, but by 30 it was well under six figures. What I do remember was saving up to company match in 401(k) and maxing out a Roth from age 26 or so. At the same time I had just bought a used car with cash, had school loans, and a mortgage I shouldn't have gotten.

I also had a big chunk in individual stocks that was quite riaky in hindsight, although it netted me some significant profits. I wasn't in the best place financially, but I had gotten in about five straight years of saving well in both Roth and 401k, and that was an important habit to get started. Five years later things were much improved.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:52 am

DH and I had about $64,000 by age 30. (60 now) ($142,700 adjusted for inflation by Choy)

I've always been paranoid about covering retirement, and we always put the maximum away in whatever instruments were available. (I'm so old, IRAs were brand new, and the max was $2,000/year. 401Ks were not created yet.)
Last edited by LeeMKE on Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:54 am

1) In 3 years I will be 30 and I am projecting to have ~1.25mil in combined accounts* (this was done soley by high savings rates/low expenses- no windfalls, inheritances, business sales, etc). I also found bogleheads when I was 16 or 17 so that helped a lot.
2) This amount is just enough for my early retirement plans. Will let you know how it works out if I make it to 85ish with money left over.

Edit- *I include taxable in this because it is part of my retirement savings.

aj44

Post by aj44 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:01 am

DW and I had 100k combined and that was 5 years ago. It was at that time we really got serious about saving and with the help of an epic bull market managed to turn it into 600k today

I don't think 100k was enough at 30 considering I had been in a corporate job since 20 and DW since 22. It was the lost decade but our savings rate was poor.
Last edited by aj44 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

hmw

Post by hmw » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 am

Can't rememeber the exact number. Probably between 30 to 50k

island

Post by island » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 am

boroc7 wrote:
island wrote:OMG are you kidding me? I have no idea, that was 2 decades ago and at 30 retirement was the last thing on my mind! Like Livesoft, it couldn't have been much since only a few years into my first real job after grad school, had student debt and a new mortgage. I saved in my 401K, but rarely gave it a thought; just put it on autopilot. Must have been enough because DH and I could most likely pack it in now, but we're not pining away to retire yet.

I disagree completely. Perhaps for those who are high income earners later in life it's fine, but for the rest saving early goes a long way to taking advantage of compounding. The fact that people don't think about retirement early in life is what gets them into trouble. Op, good question. I can't remember the exact amount, but by 30 it was well under six figures. What I do remember was saving up to company match in 401(k) and maxing out a Roth from age 26 or so. At the same time I had just bought a used car with cash, had school loans, and a mortgage I shouldn't have gotten.

I also had a big chunk in individual stocks that was quite riaky in hindsight, although it netted me some significant profits. I wasn't in the best place financially, but I had gotten in about five straight years of saving well in both Roth and 401k, and that was an important habit to get started. Five years later things were much improved.
Well we're not disagreeing completely. Note I said I was saving in my 401K, probably didn't even make enough to max it out then, and ROTHs didn't exist, I just didn't obsess on when I'd retire since my career was just getting off the ground.

Choy

Post by Choy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:17 am

LeeMKE wrote:DH and I had about $64,000 by age 30. (60 now)
Would probably be helpful if everyone gave inflation adjusted values. $64K in 1985 is about $142,700 today.

NeutrinoPerson

Post by NeutrinoPerson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 am

Choy wrote:
Would probably be helpful if everyone gave inflation adjusted values. $64K in 1985 is about $142,700 today.
I had mentioned this in the original post so hopefully people are giving adjusted values.

Choy

Post by Choy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:36 am

NeutrinoPerson wrote:
Choy wrote:
I had mentioned this in the original post so hopefully people are giving adjusted values.
Whoops. Completely missed the parenthesis in the OP.

toblerone

Post by toblerone » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 am

Zero dollars, inflation adjusted. I cashed out a 10k SEP IRA to help pay for changing jobs and cities. One of many dumb mistakes until a financial epiphany following divorce at age 40 and Bogle-ution at 43. I'm at ~500k now at 45, so doing ok. Cheers to the 30 yr olds with 100k+! :sharebeer

MossySF

Post by MossySF » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:40 am

$38K nominal dollars -- $50K in today's dollars. OP should move the inflation calculator out into an explicit link.

As to whether that's enough, the amount itself has turned out to be a shrug of the shoulders but the habits were important.
Last edited by MossySF on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:44 am

Now retired. At 30, we probably had a few thousand. Our savings and spending were nowhere "even" throughout the years. But most of the jobs we had did have employer contributions to pensions or 401Ks. In the latter years, we paid more of the contributions as we began to consider retirement.

You could say that employer contributions are fast disappearing. Or you could say the employer contributions are now being replaced by pay increases and it is up to the employee to save.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:56 am

I had a negative net worth at 28, a four figure portfolio at 30, a six figure portfolio at 33-34ish and a 7 figure net worth by 38.

Was a few thousand at age 30 enough? I don't know. It was what it was. That's where I was in life. I wasn't making much.

Too much focus in this forum is often put on investing. Well, the truth is you can't invest anything until you earn it and save it. I think we ought to be emphasizing that to people in their 20s and 30s. Invest in yourself and your future income. It'll pay far bigger dividends than getting a few extra bucks into a Roth IRA and cutting your ER by 10 basis points.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Choy

Post by Choy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:05 am

EmergDoc wrote:Well, the truth is you can't invest anything until you earn it and save it. I think we ought to be emphasizing that to people in their 20s and 30s. Invest in yourself and your future income. It'll pay far bigger dividends than getting a few extra bucks into a Roth IRA and cutting your ER by 10 basis points.
Well said.

bogledogle

Post by bogledogle » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:35 am

Around 100K in retirement(401k)

bogledogle

Post by bogledogle » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:41 am

Mongoose wrote:1) In 3 years I will be 30 and I am projecting to have ~1.25mil in combined accounts* (this was done soley by high savings rates/low expenses- no windfalls, inheritances, business sales, etc). I also found bogleheads when I was 16 or 17 so that helped a lot.
2) This amount is just enough for my early retirement plans. Will let you know how it works out if I make it to 85ish with money left over.

How in hell do you get to 1.25mil under 30 with no windfalls and inheritance ..... Can I borrow some brain cells from you to implant in my head :happy

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:03 am

For retirement? None. I was trying to start an emergency fund.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:46 am

When I was 30 there were no retirement accounts. :shock: IRAs started in 1974. I started one in about 1977.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:38 am

bogledogle wrote:
Mongoose wrote:1) In 3 years I will be 30 and I am projecting to have ~1.25mil in combined accounts* (this was done soley by high savings rates/low expenses- no windfalls, inheritances, business sales, etc). I also found bogleheads when I was 16 or 17 so that helped a lot.

How in hell do you get to 1.25mil under 30 with no windfalls and inheritance ..... Can I borrow some brain cells from you to implant in my head :happy
Sure! I took most of everything from the Bogleheads anyway. Also got a big "oh wow!" moment from this post -> http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/ ... etirement/
As far as income goes (one of the biggest parts of the formula), I always refused to stay at the same salary even at an early age. First job was at 15 making $10/hr mowing lawns. Next year I figured out how much my boss was making off of me and got $15/hr. A year later I went to work for a hotel and was hustling $20/hr before graduating high school (and playing full time year round sports and maintaining a high GPA- no time for the ladies or parties unfortunately). My first internship I asked for $25/hr from an engineering firm (freshman in college) and each year after that I just made sure I got a raise before returning to work the next summer. I just always made sure to ASK for a raise - ask and you shall recieve sayeth the Lord :happy. I think ended up making a little over $30/hr without even having my degree (short periods of time though and <30hrs/wk). Most of this money was used to prevent any student loans and the rest was used to max the ROTH IRA since 16 years old. After college things just exploded with "insert large oil company here and get a relocation package every 2 years" and then a few years ago with "insert larger oil company here and take an expat assignment".

Main keys for me were to ALWAYS give to charity, max ROTH, 401k, and have some taxable investment savings (some years it was minimal- the year I got married...25k but worth it....and bought a brand new car for 25k...biggest financial mistake.... in the same year. This meant that whatever was left over was all we had to spend (not the other way around). We just lived like we were "poor" and now we are at the point that passive income is nearing salary we can finally start to "waste"- although I really don't get much satisfaction out of buying "things" we do like to spend on "experiences". I also feel very uncomfortable having ANY debt. I HATED having a morgage- just a peace of mind thing for me. DEBT = the worst possible thing you can imagine+1 (I know that's not true but to just to drive home the point).

So, nothing special to my formula just make money, give back some money, save most of money, don't loose all of your money in the market, repeat. Some aspect of luck too as you will notice my largest earnings/savings years have been during golden times post 2008 meltdown. Setting short, medium, and long term goals are key (not just financial but with everything-family, health, travel, exit strategies).

I will also note that I really don't like- scratch that- hate- my jobs since college. This is the reason why I have been so driven to save enough to become financially independent early on- my muse you would say- I am reminded of it EVERY SINGLE DAY I have to wake up for work. It is bad now as the end is so close in sight- I don't know how I will make it the next few years. So some sacrifice has been made for this goal. Good thing is 30 leaves me enough hiking and mountain biking time with the family and dogs to make up for it. I may still work past 30 but at least I will have the option to always say NO to my boss and call him out on being wrong the majority of the time and negotiate short work weeks.

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:50 am

We had virtually nothing saved at age 30. My husband got his first "real" job at age 28 after finishing graduate school. He started contributing 5 percent of his salary to a 403(b) a year after that when he became eligible for his employer's match, so we had whatever small amount of money was in the 403(b) after one year of contributions. I didn't have anything in retirement accounts at age 30 because I was a full-time mother who did some part-time work on the side to supplement our household income. We still had student loans so we probably had a negative net worth.

I do think it is important that we started saving as soon as one of us was eligible for a 403(b) and that we steadily increased our savings rate as our income went up rather than spending all the extra money. As soon as I started working full-time we really increased our savings rate and soon went up to the maximum for both of us. We had some lifestyle creep, but we still managed to live well below our means.

People who have little or no money saved by age 30 should not get discouraged. Yes, the earlier you start to save the more years of compounding you have, but if you save diligently you can still do fine.

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:57 am

My net worth at age 30 was $98,000 in 1985.............which is $212,000 in 2014 dollars.

When I got out of college and starting working as an engineer, I saved anywhere from 15% minimum to a maximum of 25% of gross pay.

When I started investing in 1979, inflation was in double-digits, the prime interest rate was 21%, and banks/savings & loans quit issuing mortgages in Illinois because the high rates would have violated the states usury laws.....designed to prevent loan-sharking!

The cover of Business Week also declared the stock market dead. Everyone was investing in gold, antiques,and art. I went bravely ahead and put away money every month in stock mutual funds.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

minesweeper

Post by minesweeper » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:28 am

Nearing 30, and I have about $280,000 saved for retirement (in investing). I also have a $250,000 paid off rental, which I've earmarked for retirement, as well. Done through high savings rate and starting early; no windfalls, though my parents did help with college tuition.
Last edited by minesweeper on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:50 am

In current dollars, I had the equivalent of just under 6 figures in my Savings Investment Plan (basically a 401-k but it predates the name 401-k). I also contributed to an IRA, but I don't have the foggiest notion where I had it at the time, so there is no easy way to check the balance. FYI - my retirement balance was the equivalent of slightly more than 1 years worth of salary.

gbru316

Post by gbru316 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:05 am

Judging by some of the others here, I'm behind the curve at $37k. I turn 30 in 2 weeks.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:16 am

toblerone wrote:Zero dollars, inflation adjusted. I cashed out a 10k SEP IRA to help pay for changing jobs and cities. One of many dumb mistakes until a financial epiphany following divorce at age 40 and Bogle-ution at 43. I'm at ~500k now at 45, so doing ok. Cheers to the 30 yr olds with 100k+! :sharebeer

In our late 20's my husband cashed out his IRA to buy my engagement ring. :shock:

At 30 we had nada.

Around 35 we paid down our house, cut back on everything and invested like crazy.

Now, late 40's, we are sitting very pretty for retirement. :sharebeer

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:22 am

gbru316 wrote:Judging by some of the others here, I'm behind the curve at $37k. I turn 30 in 2 weeks.
You may or may not be behind the curve here on Bogleheads but doing much better than many 30 year old Americans.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

NeutrinoPerson

Post by NeutrinoPerson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:36 am

Updated OP to make the link explicit

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 am

$1000

No debt. No car. Renting.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:42 am

DW and I had inflation adjusted $36,000 in IRAs, but negative net worth, at that point. (this was year after she finished residency, and we had no other retirement savings options available)

Enough? Looks like it will be--but we had huge earnings increases in the near future, and were already talking about retirement by our early 50s (didn't quite make that, but the kids were and are fun!). If we would have continued on same savings path (which was never the plan), it would not have been enough.
Edit Signature

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:45 am

10k :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

passivestream

Post by passivestream » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 am

Around $190,000, Married couple, including a paid off primary residence.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:49 am

At age 30, I got married. Had no debt, but nothing saved for retirement. At age 33, I got a new job that offered a 401k. My contributions varied from 10% to 17% (including match), and my asset allocation started at 60/40 and transitioned to 50/50 today. Now at age 52, I have a balance equal to about 3.5 times my salary.

gbru316

Post by gbru316 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:51 am

dbCooperAir wrote:
gbru316 wrote:Judging by some of the others here, I'm behind the curve at $37k. I turn 30 in 2 weeks.
You may or may not be behind the curve here on Bogleheads but doing much better than many 30 year old Americans.

I get that. It's easy to lose perspective here.

NYC34

Post by NYC34 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:56 am

$104k in retirement accounts at nearly 29 years of age (current)

Hopefully around $125k by the age of 30.

My wife and I have both spent our 20's going to grad school and 2014 is the first year we have reported a 6 figure income on our taxes.

We are doing ok.

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:59 am

I will be turning 30 in four months. My wife and I currently have about 375k saved for retirement. We built a beautiful home in 2011 and hope to have it paid off in about 7 years or we could possibly have a lot more. I graduated pharmacy school just before turning 24 and have been saving well since. However we probably spend way to much on vacations and other activities but I still feel we are doing great.

tnbison

Post by tnbison » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:11 am

Barring any huge market swings in the next month I'll be right at
275k retirement
400k NW

Came from a combination of aquiring a STEM degree, early and often investing during the market bottom in 09', a pretty good ESOP, and the purchase of a foreclosure for our first home.

Consequently these are the exact goals I set eleven months ago ago which is always fun

TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:18 am

I'll be 30 next year. Right now I have ~$220k in retirement accounts (Roth IRA + 401k).

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:20 am

Im 31 and wife is 30. On 1/1/2015 we had $345,000 in our retirement accounts (roth/401k.) We've been maxing those accounts for years which really helps. Im hoping to be at 1mil by the time we hit 40. If the market plays nice we may make it.

NeutrinoPerson

Post by NeutrinoPerson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:31 am

(removed)
Last edited by NeutrinoPerson on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:38 am

You are way ahead of where I was.

I think the take-home message should be that everybody is different and both early savers and late bloomers can do just fine over the next 20 to 30 years.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:41 am

Don't feel bad. At age 30 I had close to nothing in retirement savings. However I had good human capital having finished graduate school with an engineering PhD a couple of years earlier.

In the long run that turned out to be plenty. I retired at 63 with 7 figures, no debt and a pension.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:51 am

I finished my Ph.D. at 33 with a few thousand dollars of medical bills. I started my retirement accounts at 34 when I got my current job. (My wife got her formal job two years later at 36).

P.S.: To be more encouraging to other people, I think we made us technically financially independent at 50.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:00 am

$103k in today's dollars. By 40 I retired but I took the business ownership path to do that.

I remember really sweating it back then how I was ever going to make enough money to retire like what I wanted to retire and wasn't even considering retiring early. I was unhappy with my job and started job searching. I found a company that was 100% employee owned and when I joined there were about 40 of us. Ten years later we owned ten companies across the Midwest and there were around 5000 employee owners while the 40 original owners remained grandfathered into a much larger piece of the stock share pie. Things were starting to get stressful and I started thinking, hey, I really don't need to do this anymore and so I quit and cashed out my stocks. I often wonder where I would be if I had kept on doing the same thing at age 30. Probably still quite well compared to my non-boglehead peers but still working 9 to 5 with no immediate end in sight.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 am

tnbison wrote:Barring any huge market swings in the next month I'll be right at
275k retirement
400k NW

Came from a combination of aquiring a STEM degree, early and often investing during the market bottom in 09', a pretty good ESOP, and the purchase of a foreclosure for our first home.

Consequently these are the exact goals I set eleven months ago ago which is always fun
You are so close to my doppleganger its scary...

I will turn 30 next month.

275k in tax advantaged portfolio.

Close to 400k in net worth depending on the valuation of our house. We benefited from buying real estate in early 2009 and our local market has been humming along nicely.

No STEM degree for me however (I went economics) but I benefited from going to grad school while still keeping my full time job and having my employer subsidize tuition.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:07 am

About 300k. I'd like to retire by 50.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

CrowTRobot

Post by CrowTRobot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:17 am

Whatever loose change was in my car's ashtray.