Thoughts on Chase for everyday banking

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TxAg

Thoughts on Chase for everyday banking

Post by TxAg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Not a BofA fan and we currently have Wells Fargo which is so-so.

Thoughts on Chase for checking/saving accounts?

swong6

Re: Thoughts on Chase for everyday banking

Post by swong6 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:07 pm

TgAx,
Chase is a alright commercial bank as I have had them over 35 years when I started work right after the service. Don't depend on a huge dividend for parking your money with Chase in any of their savings accounts, and consider purchasing your replacement checks with an aftermarket check printer. What Chase excels in is they have huge numbers of local branches, allow you to setup autopay and autodeposit to make your life stress free. You do however have to leave a minimum amount of money in your checking in order to get free checking but then again you have to do this with almost every bank out there to get this perk.

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:25 pm

One nice thing about Chase -- they have a deal with Walgreens where I believe all Walgreens have Chase ATMs in their stores.

If you ever need cash, it's convenient to know you can go to a Chase branch OR find a Walgreens to avoid ATM fees.

moghopper

Post by moghopper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 pm

I have Chase and no complaints. Nothing special - just an average "monster mega bank".

I only use them for checking, and I get it free with workplace paycheck deposits.

Mortgage, money market, etc, I all have elsewhere.

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:29 pm

If you need a big ATM network, get into a credit union. Likely they will issue cards which can be used anywhere with 'AllPoint'. Even the ATM in Walgreens by Chase is no fee for my credit union issued card.
The only time I thought of going with a big bank was when I was considering getting a safe deposit box. All my other needs are met by my local credit union.

mojave

Post by mojave » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:52 pm

We switched to Chase from a terrible local bank. Have been happy with them - also used them before I got married/before bad local bank and was happy then too. Savings rate is basically zero, but I prefer to have both checking and savings at the same place so I can easily move money between the two. Honestly, to me the possible 1% at an online bank isn't worth it. 1% still isn't that much, and I can recover that easily by not buying lunch at work a few times. Chase has a responsive customer service group as well.

Bad local bank used the Allpoint networks which was not convenient for me at all. You can check online to see where their locations are though.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Would just keep enough money there to meet the minimums. And they're are a lot of Chase ATMs around here than Wells Fargo. We've had a Chase Freedom card for 6 years and I've been impressed with the security and customer service over the phone.

edge

Post by edge » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm

swong6 wrote:TgAx,
Chase is a alright commercial bank as I have had them over 35 years when I started work right after the service. Don't depend on a huge dividend for parking your money with Chase in any of their savings accounts, and consider purchasing your replacement checks with an aftermarket check printer. What Chase excels in is they have huge numbers of local branches, allow you to setup autopay and autodeposit to make your life stress free. You do however have to leave a minimum amount of money in your checking in order to get free checking but then again you have to do this with almost every bank out there to get this perk.
Do you mean retail bank? A commercial bank services corporations.

avenger

Post by avenger » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Chase is great in Chicagoland.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

AWH_CPA

Post by AWH_CPA » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:33 pm

If you do not need to go into a local branch all that often, you should check out Fidelity's Cash Management account.

Free checks, no fees, free bill pay, free ATM reimbursements etc. Plus my employer 401k is at fidelity so i have my IRAs there as well. Very nice to have all my financial information under that one login. (Checking, Savings, Brokerage, 401k, Profit Sharing, rIRA).

I do keep a B of A account open in case I need to talk with a teller about something. But usually just transfer whatever is not needed to maintain the free b of a account to my cash management at fidelity.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:35 pm

AWH_CPA wrote:If you do not need to go into a local branch all that often, you should check out Fidelity's Cash Management account.

Free checks, no fees, free bill pay, free ATM reimbursements etc. Plus my employer 401k is at fidelity so i have my IRAs there as well. Very nice to have all my financial information under that one login. (Checking, Savings, Brokerage, 401k, Profit Sharing, rIRA).

I do keep a B of A account open in case I need to talk with a teller about something. But usually just transfer whatever is not needed to maintain the free b of a account to my cash management at fidelity.

I'll have to look into that. We have 401k, IRA, and Taxable with Fidelity.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:54 pm

TxAg wrote:
AWH_CPA wrote:If you do not need to go into a local branch all that often, you should check out Fidelity's Cash Management account.

I'll have to look into that. We have 401k, IRA, and Taxable with Fidelity.
I have everything with Fidelity and have been very satisfied.

The only problem i've had is Fidelity won't accept any cash deposits. I think 2 - 3 times in the past 7 years I've had to enlist a friend to go with me to his bank and use cash to get a cashiers check to deposit into my fidelity accounts (after my wedding in particular).

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:05 pm

Have had Chase for a number of years....mortgage, home equity, credit cards, checking, savings. No complaints, a positive is they have lots of branches.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:18 pm

I am planning to open a checking account with Chase and close an account with a small local bank. It does not have sufficient international experience for my requirements as I still have some financial dealings with my former country. Its been a slow process to get a small pension transferred to a Vanguard MM. The next step is to unfreeze my credit reports so that I can open a checking account! Then I have to move my salary, SS, pension, update websites where I pay credit cards, etc. etc.

walletless

Post by walletless » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:26 pm

I have my safe deposit box with Chase, and had to open a checking account. Their basic checking account requires at least one direct deposit of $500 or more each month in order to waive the fees. Because of this, I use Chase autopay to pay my mortgage & HOA dues each month, depositing enough from my paycheck to barely maintain that balalnce plus $100 (for annual safe deposit fees) plus a bit more for buffer.

Their Quickpay service is very nice, and I use it frequently to pay/receive small bills to friends/relatives. for example, if I go for dinner with a friend and he pays the bill, I transfer 50% of that bill to him using Chase QuickPay service. Their website is quite good, and overall I don't have much complaints with Chase. They have a good ATM network and I can withdraw cash at Walgreens, Seven-Eleven, etc since they house Chase ATMs.

My primary bank is a Credit Union that requires no minimums, no direct deposits, no fees for cashiers check, etc.. The CU is also located close to where I live and is fairly convenient. I use the CU to pay all other bills, credit cards, etc.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:31 pm

TxAg:

We moved to the Chase branch bank located on the nearest corner about 3 years ago. We have been delighted with their service.

* Ask them if they offer benefits for a new customer (we received a cash benefit of several hundred dollars).

* It's not announced but veterans get extra perks. I am grateful.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:53 pm

TxAg wrote:Not a BofA fan and we currently have Wells Fargo which is so-so.

If you decide to bank with Chase be sure to check out the current offer of a $450 bonus if you open both a checking and a savings account:

https://www.chase.com/customer/rb_acqui ... yaccts/ban

Better hurry though. :moneybag

Edit: You need to have a Chase Bank or Chase Credit Card online account to access the offer that I linked above.
Last edited by jeff1949 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:20 pm

jeff1949 wrote:
TxAg wrote:Not a BofA fan and we currently have Wells Fargo which is so-so.

If you decide to bank with Chase be sure to check out the current offer of a $450 bonus if you open both a checking and a savings account:

https://www.chase.com/customer/rb_acqui ... yaccts/ban

Better hurry though. :moneybag

Thanks for the reminder. That is what got the wheels turning.

jsilver

Post by jsilver » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:28 pm

You may want to ask yourself if you really need a B&M bank. If not, do a search of online banks for some good options.

I've used an online bank for the last 5+ years and haven't stepped into a bank since then. Many banks (including mine and including some B&M banks) will refund ATM fees so I don't think twice about which ATM I go to or how much the ATM fees cost. They'll even refund ATM fees when you use your ATM card in a foreign country. I use an app from my phone to deposit checks. I (sadly) rarely receive large amounts of cash so I have no need to make cash deposits. Traveller checks are mostly obsolete. These cover most of my use cases for banks, but you may have a real need to visit a bank.

I use E*Trade bank and I'm satisfied, although the latest reviews have them rated only so-so. Savings rates are pretty close to 0 everywhere but at one point I selected E*Trade because of their good savings rates.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:43 pm

I like Chase a lot. Going on 15 years now as a customer, and I'm very satisfied.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:26 am

JPMorgan Chase plans to close 300 bank branches over the next two years, about 5 percent of the total, as more customers move online and the bank seeks to cut costs.

thebeerbarron

Post by thebeerbarron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:33 am

I've had a chase checking account for years but I hardly use it. It gets part of my direct deposit from work and I just haven't had the energy to switch everything over to my schwab account. I'd stay away from Chase as they try to nickel and dime you on fees.

I would recommend a Schwab checking account though. They reimburse all ATM fees so you can take money out at your convenience. You can deposit checks via their app which clear in about 24 hours. The interest rate isn't anything to write home about, but it blows Chase out of the water.

ALinLI

Post by ALinLI » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Try a local credit union. Mine pays up to 3% on balances up to $25k in their checking accounts. I also have Chase Checking which pays zero,

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:44 pm

I use a Alliant Credit Union and get interest checking with no fees.

I am happy to have paid off my mortgage, which was sold to Chase, so that I will have no further dealings with them ever again.

They are too big to fail and I'm doing my very minor part to make them just a little smaller.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Louis Winthorpe III wrote:I like Chase a lot. Going on 15 years now as a customer, and I'm very satisfied.
+1
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

punkin

Post by punkin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:49 pm

We left Chase after they upped their fees a few years ago and have been with a local credit union ever since with no regrets except that we didn't do it sooner.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm

I like Chase, they have a branch in one of the grocery stores I shop at. I figure over the years I've made somewhere north of $800 by opening and closing check/savings accounts with them to collect the bonuses offered. I recently found out they offer veterans free perks, so I may stay with them a while.

heerekj1

Post by heerekj1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:39 pm

I am trying to close my banking accounts with Chase. My reasons for doing it were: 1) essential zero interest on savings 2) no atm in my home town and they won't pay the providers atm fee 3) they do not appear to keep online transaction records for more than 90 days.

I asked them to close the accounts last week. A charge from Sirrius/XM on my debit card came in. The account was still open so I transferred the money into the account. They charged me 34 dollars because the funds were not there. Yesterday they charged me an additional 15 dollars because I have a negative balance. They will not close the account because I have a negative balance and will continue to accept debit card transactions. I finally gave up and just sent them $100. I am hoping that there will be a positive balance at some point and they will close the account.

I was only using them for about 3 years and I they are the worst bank I have ever dealt with. The staff at the branch in the next town over were friendly.

I switched to Ally which is pay .99% versus .01% and they say they pick up the atm fees.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:41 am

I use BoA they bought out a smaller bank and have no fee checking and a HELOC currently at 2.74% - no problems. I had a Chase account (to get the $250? bonus) awhile ago and had no problems got extra bonus for opening credit cards and have been satisfied with their cash back feature/service. So while their bonus lure to open a checking account didn't keep us as checking customers it did work for our mutual benefit.

The key with any of the big brick banks is "don't check you guns at the door" i.e. very much a buyer beware relationship.

Resist their cross selling efforts for CDs, brokerage services, financial planning, credit cards etc without very careful analysis. They are usually not designed in your best interest. Most on line banks offer better banking products - even then be cautious there are sometimes some gotchas in the fine print. e.g. one bank used to charge a monthly fee for having an atm card, unless you had a certain level of assets with them. So, no charge for using their atm but a $2 a month charge to have the card? They make it almost impossible to understand the potential fees you might be charged until you get them.

slipp1229

Post by slipp1229 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Out of all of the "Big Four" Monster Mega Banks.... Chase is probably the most "small guy friendly". Wells Fargo ... has to die very soon (unfortunately this just means another name change within the incestuous banking industry .. unfortunately). Bank of America... mostly interested in larger commercial business only, they hate the little guy with checking and savings accounts (fees.. fees... fees). I personally like Chase for my daily banking stuff (10+ years). They have always taken care of any fraud/theft/hacking that has occurred within my accounts ... it does and will happen!
Slipp

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:57 am

I switched from BofA to Chase as my main B&M bank about 6 months ago. It was mostly because I moved and the Chase branches happen to be closer to my new home. I signed up for the Chase bonuses a few times and eventually I stuck with them! My review of local banks is below.

BofA
- Lots of branches, lots of ATMs
- Branches are crowded and in poor condition. Customer service is 'meh'
- Terrible loan rates across the board
- I like all their online services!
- $300 balance required for free savings
- I have some high-tier account with them, free lock box and no charge for cashiers checks (due to past employer, I think)
- BofA checking is now my backup account on paypal

Chase
- Lots of branches, enough ATMs - about the same as BofA
- Branches are beautiful, customer service is great
- Great credit cards
- They charge a fee for cashiers checks
- Online services are ok
- $300 balance required for free savings
- I use them as my main checking account, which is just a conduit for online bill pay

Local Credit Union
- Enough branches but not nearly as many as Chase/BofA
- Customer service is good
- Fewer fees, don't keep anything in my savings
- Great HELOC rates! I always have a HELOC through them
- Online services are from the stone age. Takes 3 days to set up transfer to another bank. Takes 3 days to transfer cash. :|

There is no 'best' option out there but I don't have a problem with accounts at multiple banks. I also have accounts at online-only banks: USAA, Fidelity, Cap One. All of them have something unique.

meebers

Post by meebers » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:07 pm

I am in the process of slowly moving out of my Credit Union to Chase. The Credit union I was with was not up to date as far as web services, the bank statements resembled a dot matrix type print out and the list goes on. I am in the 2nd month with Chase now making sure all my deposits and credit cards are being paid from Chase. The branch manager set me up with a particular service person to handle the transfers, checking/savings setup etc. He was just an excellent and knowledgeable person. I responded to the 300/200 military bonus deal, got the $300 already, 6 months for the $200. So far I would say excellent.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:35 pm

heerekj1 wrote:
Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:39 pm
I am trying to close my banking accounts with Chase. My reasons for doing it were: 1) essential zero interest on savings 2) no atm in my home town and they won't pay the providers atm fee 3) they do not appear to keep online transaction records for more than 90 days.

I asked them to close the accounts last week. A charge from Sirrius/XM on my debit card came in. The account was still open so I transferred the money into the account. They charged me 34 dollars because the funds were not there. Yesterday they charged me an additional 15 dollars because I have a negative balance. They will not close the account because I have a negative balance and will continue to accept debit card transactions. I finally gave up and just sent them $100. I am hoping that there will be a positive balance at some point and they will close the account.

I was only using them for about 3 years and I they are the worst bank I have ever dealt with. The staff at the branch in the next town over were friendly.

I switched to Ally which is pay .99% versus .01% and they say they pick up the atm fees.
This is almost unbelievable to me lol.

1 - Zero interest in savings...what else is new? Use a big bank for branch access and park your money at ally or capital one. Big deal.

2. Where do you live? They seem to have ATMs on every corner...but I guess this depends where you're at.

3. They keep several years of online statements available and all credit card transactions are stored, and searchable, by category, for the entire calendar year if I'm not mistaken. What transactions have you been unable to find?

I've been banking with chase for 20 years and can't remember a single negative experience. Period. Their checking requires no minimum with direct deposit...which we have...so it's no bother.

Their customer service is absolutely OUTSTANDING. We very rarely incurred any fees, but did on my wife's checking account when she was out of work for a couple months (overdraft for an autopay and fee for no direct deposit). They happily refunded the fees without any hassle except for a 5 minute stress-free-no-waiting-on-hold-no-talking-to-a-robot phone call. Did you press the issue about your fees? I seriously can't believe they wouldn't refund them. Makes no sense.

They have immediately flagged and stopped fraudulent transactions 2-3 times over the years.

I also use them for small business banking. The $1500 minimum is easy to meet to avoid the fees. Got $500 for opening the account. Quickpay is amazing and has been 100% reliable to pay my coworkers. The app is sleek and easy to use. Remote check deposit works flawlessly.

Their bill pay service makes ordering your own checks almost non existent. Send a check to anyone online and they'll mail and memo it. The box of checks I bought is half gone after like 9+ years.

I could probably go on. I seriously couldn't come up with a negative thing to say if I tried.

**I do not work for Chase.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:55 pm

I find that Chase generally has great service, and very poor rates and fees.

I do have an account with Chase mainly because I need the ability to make cash deposits.

I love their ATMs that scan bills. In January when I sold a car for $7000 cash, I was able to deposit it all immediately through the ATM (in two deposits, max 40 bills at a time) after hours. I only have a savings account which has a $300 minimum. You can request an ATM card for it even if you don't have a checking account.

My main banking is with a credit union, including checking, savings and auto loans, which has much better rates, but does not offer 24 hour phone service or the fancy bill-scanning ATMs that Chase has.

When I travel abroad, I normally use my Fidelity Cash ATM/VISA debit card for cash transactions. Services from Fidelity are limited though, no cash deposits, no cashier checks, and cash withdrawal only up to the daily $500 ATM limit with no exception, even in person at Fidelity branches.

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 pm

I have done chase checking/savings bonuses twice so am a "customer" currently.

No problems with them but they do have fees and minimums.

My main checking account is Capital One 360. All the benefits of having an online checking account (no fees, no minimums), while still having the ability to have convenient ATM access (think depositing cash, no account limit although some Capital One ATMs limit $3-4K per day) as well as in branch deposits.

Ally also works, but i don't believe they have any analogous branches for deposits to your account.

Gort

Post by Gort » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Chase offers current and former military members no fee checking and savings accounts, no minimum balance, free checks, no fee cashier's checks, reduced fees on safety deposit boxes. Very nice of them to offer this! I have also found their customer service to be outstanding.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Gort wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 pm
Chase offers current and former military members no fee checking and savings accounts, no minimum balance, free checks, no fee cashier's checks, reduced fees on safety deposit boxes. Very nice of them to offer this! I have also found their customer service to be outstanding.
+1. Very happy with Chase. I've also got several bonuses "recycling" my savings account. Never a hassle from the reps for doing that.

basspond

Post by basspond » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Very pleased so far after 5+ years. Works great that we were able to link children's accounts. Many locations and no fee ATMs. Have premium account that requires a $15K minimum but most services are free including cashier's checks. Transferred a CD into a conservative growth fund that is counted as part of the $15K.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:20 pm

The Chase by me does free notarizations.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:55 am

Chadnudj wrote:
Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:25 pm
One nice thing about Chase -- they have a deal with Walgreens where I believe all Walgreens have Chase ATMs in their stores.

If you ever need cash, it's convenient to know you can go to a Chase branch OR find a Walgreens to avoid ATM fees.
Not sure about anywhere else... but in Chicagoland, Chase pulled out all of their ATMs from Walgreens or maybe Walgreens pulled Chase out? Not sure which is which but there are still a lot of branch locations to meet my need. A little nostalgia for the folks that can relate... way back when I opened my first bank account, it was with First Chicago which merged with Bank One then merged with Chase. So, the time that I have been with Chase, which has to be more than a decade now, has been pretty good.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Chase is fine. I have mortgage, credit card and checking account with them. I am sure Wells fargo or Bank of America is fine too. But I chose Chase because of their Chase reserve card give me 100,000 mileage. I use for Eurpean trip, it covers my flight, rental car and foreign transition fee free.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:10 pm

avenger wrote:
Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:30 pm
Chase is great in Chicagoland.
Yes, they have the most locations and so that works for me. I also have a grandfathered account from about 4 takeovers ago so I haven't paid a fee for anything in years.

I would balance # of locations that are convenient (assuming you regularly use an ATM or branch) and what the services/fees are. I just refuse to pay any fees on a checking account and I pay all my bills through my checking account.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm a big fan of Chase. I moved a few years ago and no longer have branches near me but I kept my banking with them. I realized with technology I don't even need a branch.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549