How much has Bogleheads contributed to your net worth?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

0-5%
36%
6-10%
14%
11-15%
7%
16-20%
6%
21-25%
7%
26-30%
2%
31-35%
5%
36-40%
2%
41-45%
2%
46-50%
3%
over 50%
13%
Bogleheads has reduced my net worth
4%

Total votes: 102

Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:55 am

On the 2-comma thread I got to thinking about how much this forum has helped contribute to my wife's and my net worth. In terms of asset allocation, fee minimization, lifestyle and saving, and tax strategies such as using HSAs. I started reading this forum in 2007. while it is just a guess, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that 25% of our current net worth can be attributed to this forum. What about the rest of you?

6miths

Re: How much has Bogleheads contributed to your net worth?

Post by 6miths » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:57 am

It is hard to say. I think I was a Boglehead before I knew what a Boglehead was but it is certainly wonderful to have the community.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:52 am

texasdiver wrote:In terms of asset allocation, fee minimization, lifestyle and saving, and tax strategies such as using HSAs. I started reading this forum in 2007. while it is just a guess, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that 25% of our current net worth can be attributed to this forum. What about the rest of you?
I agree with you on all counts, texasdiver. It would be hard to quantify the benefit, but I know it has been huge. I came around to the old Vanguard Diehards forum slowly, sometime around 2005 or 2006 maybe. Since then, my portfolio overhaul and behavioral modifications include these advantages, directly attributable to this forum:
  • Excellent tax efficiency in taxable accounts. At one point the taxable portion of my retirement portfolio was well over half the total. It even included a REIT fund! Taylor helped tremendously in convincing me to give taxes the attention they rightfully deserve.
  • Excellent control of expenses. Total weighted average ER is down below 0.12%. This forum is nothing if not relentless in its focus on expenses, and it had hardly been on my radar in earlier years.
  • Focus on retirement goal. While I had never been a spendthrift by any means, saving consistently through various personal life changes had been a weak point. This forum has helped me develop a laser focus on my financial goals, maximizing the use of tax-advantaged accounts, with the excess directed to sole-purpose taxable accounts, and prioritizing savings over shorter term goals. Some of that can also be attributed to age/experience, but I'm sure I would never have become as focused without the forum's perspectives. Interestingly, in spite of saving far more diligently, I have never felt my lifestyle was compromised by financial limitations.
  • Developing a long term, easily managed and measured, extremely diversified index fund portfolio and risk-appropriate asset allocation.
  • Staying the course. I rebalanced into equities and bought only equities as required to meet my AA throughout the Great Recession. There's no telling what I would have done had I not been reading this forum through it all, but it's practically guaranteed I would not have fared anywhere near as well. Aside from that, just maintaining (roughly) the same AA for the last 10 years has surely served me well. My performance chasing days are long gone.
I think 25% is a good guess for me also.

Thank you Bogleheads!
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:05 pm

That is difficult to quantify.. Between M* Diehards (which started in the year I retired) and Bogleheads, it has to be considerable. I know I would have gone downhill instead of of our net worth growing in retirement. I will put down 50%, but it could be even more.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:12 pm

6miths wrote:It is hard to say. I think I was a Boglehead before I knew what a Boglehead was but it is certainly wonderful to have the community.
Agree, word for word. :happy
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Somewhere between 5 and 10% - I was already practicing Boglehead like principles before I came upon the site in early 2007, including backing up the truck and picking up those juicy I bonds with reward credit cards. That said, I learned about slicing and dicing and some of those nice 529 plan offerings here - that gained me a point or two in extra return. I can't put a return on the community though - when people quote experts on CNBC I laugh, the real experts are on this forum. :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Minsc

Post by Minsc » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:15 pm

When I found this site and WCI, I had a negative 800k networth. I am now positive 250k.

sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:18 pm

I started with this site sometime in early 09. I used to not worry about asset allocation and was usually 90% stocks 10% money market Clearly in that period to date diversification has hurt and all equities better.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:34 pm

The most obvious benefit has been TLH in 2008. I still have tax carryover losses from that. I probably would not have done that on my own.

It is easier to stay the course when you know others are in the same boat with you.

And you all finally got me to stick with 20% international rather than going hot and cold on the subject.

I estimated 15% but it may well be much more -- who knows what craziness I would have put myself through.
16% cash 48% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:53 pm

BH has contributed little. I work hard, make a good salary, and I had a few fantastic and obvious stock picks (like AAPL) that enabled me to do extremely well. I am so glad that I found BH after I had invested in some individual stocks and made good money (way way over S&P 500, blew that index away), and paid off my house. If I had indexed back then, I would never ever have the net worth that I have. I now use BH philosophy, but it was after doing well in investments that I chose and stock picking. Savings and earnings helped also. Yes, individual stock investing can work, and can work far far better than boglehead philosophy. I'm just not good enough to keep it going, but I am glad I did it to build my nest egg.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:06 pm

As a few others have said, it's hard to quantify.
I was a reasonable buy and hold investor before I was a Boglehead.
But I chased performance a bit and didn't have a comfortable plan for dealing with a stock downturn.
So for me, Bogleheads has definitely increased my comfort and confidence factors related to money management...
Attempted new signature...

DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:13 pm

I came to this forum too late for it to have a meaningful effect on my net worth. However, after receiving a notice of expense increases from CREF, I did a simulation and estimated that over a 30 year accumulation period, a difference of one half of one percent in annual expenses (the current difference between Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund and the College Retirement Equities Fund class R1) would result in a difference of about 10% in the final balance. Fortunately, my wife and I did most of our investing in CREF at lower expense ratios before CREF went over to the dark side.

I also lost money in individual stocks that I would not have lost following a Bogleheads strategy. The total of these losses were probably about $35,000, so avoiding them might have increased my current net worth by $100,000 if I include earnings on the money lost. I was fortunate in that I did not have much money when I made my stupidest investments, which limited my losses. For example, I bought 100 shares of Pan Am at $9 and sold it for $3 as it was on the road to bankruptcy.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)

acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Minsc wrote:When I found this site and WCI, I had a negative 800k networth. I am now positive 250k.
Wow that's powerful... :sharebeer

kolea

Post by kolea » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:02 pm

You don't have an option for negative gain which would be my answer. But that is not a bad thing necessarily. I used to be almost 100% equities. Boglemania finally convinced me that I should put some of that money into fixed income. This has only been in the last 2 years roughly, during which time bond interest has fallen and equities have done great.

Even though our portfolio is not growing as fast as it could have been, I know this is a better approach for us. Probably the most valuable gain for me has been tons more knowledge on the details of retirement asset management (I am retired). Pre-retirement is the easy part, IMO. The harder part is deriving a reliable income in a tax efficient manner off those investments.
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Very difficult to quantify,,,I had the basics down when I got here,but I have learned in immense amount here :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Just taking into account the amount of savings due to low expense rates, by the time I end accumulating, Terminal Wealth could be around 30% greater than usual products.

Minsc

Post by Minsc » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:19 pm

acejacksingh wrote:
Minsc wrote:When I found this site and WCI, I had a negative 800k networth. I am now positive 250k.
Wow that's powerful... :sharebeer
Yeah we made some mistakes, but have corrected them thanks to this site and the white coat investor. It feels good.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:59 pm

sambb wrote:BH has contributed little. I work hard, make a good salary, and I had a few fantastic and obvious stock picks (like AAPL) that enabled me to do extremely well. I am so glad that I found BH after I had invested in some individual stocks and made good money (way way over S&P 500, blew that index away), and paid off my house. If I had indexed back then, I would never ever have the net worth that I have. I now use BH philosophy, but it was after doing well in investments that I chose and stock picking. Savings and earnings helped also. Yes, individual stock investing can work, and can work far far better than boglehead philosophy. I'm just not good enough to keep it going, but I am glad I did it to build my nest egg.

You were very lucky. Glad you saw the light before it was too late.

Boglemama

Post by Boglemama » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:59 pm

People gave me ideas by reading all of the posts and I got incredible direction from personal suggestions. Bogleheads is the rich family that I never had, but that I can ask for advice. I thank all of you for making a difference in my whole family's lives! :happy
Last edited by Boglemama on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:27 pm

I'm one of those who have a reduced net worth. But I'm not complaining!

I've always been very bogleheadish. Been with Vanguard since 1987, lived below my means, saved a bunch, etc. But along with Vanguard funds, I've also owned up to 40 different individual stocks at one point. My AA varied between 80/20 and 95/5, with the lower number being held in Prime MM. I never owned a bond fund until I found this forum and learned about their true value in a portfolio, especially as I near early retirement.

Over the past few years, I've been transitioning to 65/35, which is where I want to be longer term. My annual rate of return in the past averaged 15-16 percent. Last year it was 7%.

But like I said, no complaints. I know my nest egg is much safer and more stable now.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

cseinv

Post by cseinv » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:51 pm

I started investing on my own in 2009 after retiring on disability. My coworker suggested vanguard, and thats how I learned about the boglehead philosphy.
Intially I was just shooting in the dark at some mutual funds that were based on past performance, but this forum has taken my retirement accounts from
97K to over 250K with consistent returns using indexing with some active funds. Although I got in right after the great recession, I did not know anything about
investing on my own, so I just kept reading this forum and learning about Jack Bogle and his philosphy. Now I just laught at all the business news on tv and the internet
about buying and selling. Wish I could have started at younger age, but now I just look forward at my returns and AA being consistent. I will gladly need the money for
my health problems to survive all the doctors/hospitals/drugs and leave some for my family.

I would say over 90% from this forum has contributed to my net worth.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:27 pm

6miths wrote:It is hard to say. I think I was a Boglehead before I knew what a Boglehead was but it is certainly wonderful to have the community.
Same here. I was a practicing Boglehead starting at age 23 or so, back around 1996/97. I even managed to marry one.

Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:29 pm

TwoByFour wrote:You don't have an option for negative gain which would be my answer. But that is not a bad thing necessarily. I used to be almost 100% equities. Boglemania finally convinced me that I should put some of that money into fixed income. This has only been in the last 2 years roughly, during which time bond interest has fallen and equities have done great.

Even though our portfolio is not growing as fast as it could have been, I know this is a better approach for us. Probably the most valuable gain for me has been tons more knowledge on the details of retirement asset management (I am retired). Pre-retirement is the easy part, IMO. The harder part is deriving a reliable income in a tax efficient manner off those investments.
The bottom option on the list was for negative gain. I didn't express it in percentages so maybe you missed it. Hopefully the negative gain is only a temporary blip and the advice here will end up helping in the long run.

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Hard to quantify. I became a boglehead in late 2013 when I had a spike of unexpectedly high income and found this forum. Prior to that point I had saved but not really invested except for a mandatory retirement account contribution. I had never even contributed to an IRA since my contribution plus employer match was 12% of my salary and I didn't see the point. Since then I have maxed my retirement accounts. I learned what a sep IRA was and opened one (but was upset I didn't know what they were for the 10 years of self employment income prior to that). I learned about taxes more and now do my own. I even bunched property tax payments last year to exceed the standard deduction per livesoft's suggestion. I expect the changes I have made to contribute to my net worth more significantly as time goes by.

abyan

Post by abyan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:58 am

I just learned about you guys last year. So the best I can quantify is that the last several years dad's evil broker took half my annual IRA contribution in fees over the year, totally $6k a year in fees just from trades. This year, so far, my only fees are going to be about $275 in expense ratios. So my ira contribution will effectively double, thanks to the Bogleheads. And that ain't nothin' :-)

epitomist

Post by epitomist » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:34 am

Threads like this serve to convince me we are at a market top.

In a quick search I wasn't able to find any similar threads around the March of 2009 timeframe.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Since I'm a newer poster 0%.

But I've been a regular over at this financial website: http://ymam.proboards.com/board/17/money for nearly 8 years. A few posters there have recommended or referenced the Bogleheads forum. Most of the financially well off over there do subscribe to Bogledom. :D

DH and I were doing pretty well without the website but having a "stay the course" chorus from some older investors kept us from doing something stupid like panicking and selling at the bottom. Of course it helped that I didn't open my 401k statements for about 18 months. :wink: I also had the courage to take on a short sale from my mother's estate which has gone up 50% value since the end of 2008.

Mostly I'm grateful for forums like so that folks like me who came from financial trainwreck families have an alternative to discuss financial matters. 8-)

I look forward to learning from this website too and hope that by sharing some of my experiences I can be of help to others.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:45 pm

epitomist wrote:Threads like this serve to convince me we are at a market top.

In a quick search I wasn't able to find any similar threads around the March of 2009 timeframe.
If you had asked this question in March 2009, I would have been even more positive. Yes, I was down at that time, but I shudder thinking of how far I might have gone down without the Bogleheads supporting each other. I was living off of my investments then and I did not panic. Scared? Yes, but this time I held.. I came close at times, like in 1987, but because of our mantra of finding our appropriate age related stock allocation, not chasing the hot stock or sector, and staying the course strongly contributed to my financial health today.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:49 pm

If Jack Bogle is a Boglehead then over 50%. Without him, we would not have had Vanguard low-cost index funds.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm

I also had trouble putting a number on it. I would liked to have seen a choice of "a lot". :happy

Like others have said, I think I had some natural Boglehead tendencies... found it easy to save, lived below my means, and disliked debt. Although, I did not start early! :oops: After a divorce, paying off debt, and finally getting serious about saving and finances, I luckily found Bogleheads to get me pointed in the right direction. From Bogleheads I have learned about investing, taxes, mortgages, and I'm sure more that I didn't know about or pay attention to before.

Bogleheads has definintely contributed a lot to my net worth growing as much as it has the last couple years, but it has also helped educate me in many things financial.

arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:03 pm

100%?

I read Eric Tysons Investing for Dummies in about 1998-99... found the old Vanguard Diehards on Morningstar. Really didn't get to start investing until about 2001, didn't finish training and get a real job until 2006. Have bounced around a bit index wise as things have grown over the past 13 years requiring shuffling amongst accounts... however, I've never held any investments that weren't index funds. Given where I stand now... unlikely to ever hold anything else unless something changes.
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:04 pm

I wish I knew for sure. I put down more than 50%.

I was brought to the Bogleheads site via a friend from work. He also introduced me to Vanguard. I'm very grateful to the contributors in the forums here and the WIKI is indispensable. I hope that this community continues to flourish for a very long time.

- Tim

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:04 pm

I enjoy reading it and posting occasionally, but I don't think it has had much effect on my net worth.
Last edited by Abe on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:05 pm

Aggressive saving and living below our means was key to get a nice size nest egg by my late 40's then it was Bogle and especially Wm Bernstein's 4 Pillars of Investing that got me to be investing like a Boglehead. That came at a time of peak earnings so it really made a difference. So, lots of things came together including a pretty favorable investment climate, luck, a Stable Value Fund that paid double digit and high single digit rates for many years, etc

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:10 pm

I chose 11%-15%. I think the Boglehead maxim of "own the market" has helped me fill a gap in my previous allocation where I was way too heavy on mega/large caps. I now have an appropriate mix of large/medium/small caps. I also upped my exposure to emerging markets (through VEU/VSS) and while that hasn't really paid off, it should in my 30 year time horizon.