CPA doing taxes for first time

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Allan12

CPA doing taxes for first time

Post by Allan12 »

All,

I've been doing my own taxes via the turbo tax platform for close to a decade. This year I was referred to a CPA who is charging a little more than what I paid last year with turbo tax.

I have a new job this year and he works with many members of my professional community and I feel I may be able to benefit by his expertise on deductions.

I have a meeting with him in April, but my question is when using a CPA do they file the taxes once they complete their paperwork or do they usually contact you to discuss it then submit the return if I am satisfied.

Thanks for any insight into the typical process.

A
Sidney

Re: CPA doing taxes for first time

Post by Sidney »

They won't (should not) file your return until you sign From 8879 authorizing them to e-file your return.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Topic Author
Allan12

Post by Allan12 »

Sidney wrote:They won't (should not) file your return until you sign From 8879 authorizing them to e-file your return.
Perfect thanks for the heads up! Exactly what I was looking for.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Depends

They will contact you to check the return before you file
OR
They may send the completed return to you
OR
They can file return on your behalf when you authorize
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

If you do use a CPA, one thing that seems to fall between the cracks are non-deudctible contributions to tIRA and the Form 8606 that documents that contribution. I don't why this happens, but it has been reported numerous times that this question just didn't get asked.

So if it applies to you, make sure that gets included in the interview.
Topic Author
Allan12

Post by Allan12 »

retiredjg wrote:If you do use a CPA, one thing that seems to fall between the cracks are non-deudctible contributions to tIRA and the Form 8606 that documents that contribution. I don't why this happens, but it has been reported numerous times that this question just didn't get asked.

So if it applies to you, make sure that gets included in the interview.
My return is fairly simple- contributions via work to 457, Roth IRA contributions and 401k rollover to Roth IRA.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

If I were you I'd try to reschedule that meeting sometime in Mid March. CPAs get very busy in April and you may be looking at an extension.
fandango

Post by fandango »

My CPA gives me a brief onnaire to fill out. I return it with any tax related documents. Sometimes I schedule a brief meeting to go over something unusual with him. I just did this today.

About 5 to 10 days later, he calls and tells me the bottom line (refund/payment for state/federal). I can ask any questions then.

If everything looks good, I tell him to file and then go by his office the next day or so to pick up a paper copy of the filings and an electronic copy on a disk.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Sidney wrote:They won't (should not) file your return until you sign From 8879 authorizing them to e-file your return.
This is correct. Do not wait until April or even March. Schedule some time now for any questions or concerns you may have and to be very proactive.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."