best credit card for hotel rewards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
climbey

best credit card for hotel rewards

Post by climbey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:40 am

I will be traveling for work and would be interested to know everyone's opinion as to the best credit card to get for hotel rewards. Thank you.

atreat600

Re: best credit card for hotel rewards

Post by atreat600 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44 am

I use the Marriott Rewards Visa for all my business travel. 85 per year fee, but you get a free room stay yearly which covers that expense. 5X points on money spent within Marriott, 2X on car rental, food, and air travel, and 1X on everything else. We get about 6-8 free hotel stays per year which is beneficial because we like to travel a lot outside of work.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:51 am

climbey wrote:I will be traveling for work and would be interested to know everyone's opinion as to the best credit card to get for hotel rewards. Thank you.
Check your company's policies prior to applying for any cards. My company requires the use of a corporate card (vs personal) for all major expenditures (e.g. airfare, hotel, rental car).

-Steph

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:57 am

It also depends on company policy and if they have any agreements with specific hotel chains for discounts. You dont want to get marriott related credit card but then forced to stay at Hilton properties.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:58 am

climbey wrote:I will be traveling for work and would be interested to know everyone's opinion as to the best credit card to get for hotel rewards. Thank you.
Best is always highly subjective so don't rely on collecting opinions to determine what is best for you. Define your needs and find the card the best suits those needs. As stated above your company's policies are probably going to be relevant. If you want suggestions it would help to post all that information.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:15 am

Marriot has a 70k bonus point offer, after $2k in 3 months spending.

Annual Fee waived first year. Pretty hard to beat for current offers.

tedclu

Post by tedclu » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 am

Club Carlson ( radission country inn suites etc). visa 85,000 points after sign up and send $3k.

2nd night is free when you redeem the 1st night with points

$75 fee a year that includes 40,000 points at renewal.

COFF

Post by COFF » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:53 am

I would have to vote for the Marriott card. My wife travels a lot for work, I believe she spent over 100 nights in a Marriott last year. They treat her extremely well and she has had Platinum status for as long as I can remember. I like Marriott because they are all over and we can often find a Marriott at just about every place we travel to. I also like that they partnered up with Ritz Carlton and they started buying up a lot of boutique hotels under they Autograph Collection. I would highly recommend staying at any of the Autograph Collection hotels. The wife and I have stayed at the one in Nashville, Asheville NC and Manhattan and have never been disappointed. Best of luck to you.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:54 am

You have to look into your own vacation needs. I stay regularly at Marriott hotels when I travel on business (reimbursed by my employer), and earn points, but I don't usually stay at Marriott hotels on personal travel, so a Marriott rewards card isn't that useful for me. (Instead, I use a United card, because I fly United Airlines for a lot of my personal travel, and live near a United hub which makes it easier to use the miles.)
Wiki David Grabiner

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:00 pm

I agree that you have to assess your own travel needs. When I first started traveling after getting out of school, I happened to stay at a Marriott, so I dutifully signed up for their rewards program and subsequently tried very hard to stay at a Marriott whenever I traveled. But I found that, in a number of the cities I went to, the Marriott was on the outskirts of town or otherwise not convenient for what I was going to be doing in that city. Or when it was convenient, it was often significantly more expensive than other hotels that I would have been just as happy with. I eventually just started staying at whatever hotel worked best for me based on the city I was visiting at the time, joined all the free loyalty programs for the hotels I stayed at, and figured that I'd treat any free stays or upgrades as a nice bonus rather than as a driver of where I'd stay.

As a result, credit cards that yield hotel rewards, at least if they require an annual fee, aren't that useful to me. But if a given hotel chain is nearly consistently one of your better options in most of your travels, your answer might be different.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:45 pm

FedGuy wrote:I agree that you have to assess your own travel needs. When I first started traveling after getting out of school, I happened to stay at a Marriott, so I dutifully signed up for their rewards program and subsequently tried very hard to stay at a Marriott whenever I traveled. But I found that, in a number of the cities I went to, the Marriott was on the outskirts of town or otherwise not convenient for what I was going to be doing in that city. Or when it was convenient, it was often significantly more expensive than other hotels that I would have been just as happy with. I eventually just started staying at whatever hotel worked best for me based on the city I was visiting at the time, joined all the free loyalty programs for the hotels I stayed at, and figured that I'd treat any free stays or upgrades as a nice bonus rather than as a driver of where I'd stay.
For similar reasons, I don't usually earn hotel points at all when I travel; I earn airline miles, and use stays at different hotels to keep my miles alive on different airlines. Marriott is an exception because I happen to stay at Marriott hotels enough on business to earn elite status there, earning more points from my stays, and using the points occasionally when a Marriott is the most convenient hotel for me to use when traveling personally.
Wiki David Grabiner

WHL

Post by WHL » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:58 pm

I stay almost exclusively at hilton properties so I have Hilton cc's only for hotel expenses. I had the surpass, something like 13x points per dollar spent, but cancelled it to get rid of the annual fee. Now using a Hilton amex with no annual fee and something like 7x points per dollar spent.

I have a chase sapphire preferred that gives 2x points on all travel expenses that I use for non-hilton stays.

Sibelius

Post by Sibelius » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:59 pm

I have found that I receive lots of value from my Marriott Visa. I previously traveled a lot and used an airline card but eventually lost a couple of hundred thousand points when I stopped flying so much and could not find a sensible way to use the accumulated points. I am much more likely to use a free hotel night and have done so a couple of times a year since getting the Marriott card. When I travel on business there is usually a Marriott hotel close to the destination and that makes it an easy choice. I won't pay more to stay in a Marriott but with the range of hotel properties that is uncommon.

When my old television finally dies for good I will probably cash in some of points and get a new one.

xyz12

Post by xyz12 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:09 pm

It's all personal preference. First, figure out where you intend to use the points and your typical spending patterns. Based on this, find a card that best fits.

For instance, we went with the Chase Sapphire Preferred because it has 2x points on restaurants and travel (which accounts for over 70%+ of our household spending). Ultimate rewards points transfer 1:1 to Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz Carlton, United, and British Airways (which can be used to book on American Airlines). We like the flexibility and didn't like being locked into a single hotel chain.