How/when does upgrade to Voyager Select happen?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
bhsince87

How/when does upgrade to Voyager Select happen?

Post by bhsince87 »

I moved some money from individual stocks in my Vanguard brokerage account into to some Vanguard funds on Monday. By my calculations, this should make me eligible for Voyager Select service level. I'm at about $520k in Vanguard funds now (assuming Prime MM counts, which I think it does).

I was going to make a few more trades, but figured I'd wait until my cost drops from $7 to $2 (hey, every little bit counts!) I set up a trade today, but the cost still came in at $7, so I didn't pull the trigger.

Does anyone know if I have to do anything on my part to "activate" the step up? Or is there some sort of waiting period, such as end of month or something?

Thanks!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
Phineas J. Whoopee

Re: How/when does upgrade to Voyager Select happen?

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

You could phone them and ask for the upgrade now, or wait until their business process says for their computers to evaluate accounts, which may be several months away. I don't know their processes.

I bet they'll upgrade you immediately if you ask.

PJW
Toons

Post by Toons »

bhsince87 wrote:I moved some money from individual stocks in my Vanguard brokerage account into to some Vanguard funds on Monday. By my calculations, this should make me eligible for Voyager Select service level. I'm at about $520k in Vanguard funds now (assuming Prime MM counts, which I think it does).

I was going to make a few more trades, but figured I'd wait until my cost drops from $7 to $2 (hey, every little bit counts!) I set up a trade today, but the cost still came in at $7, so I didn't pull the trigger.

Does anyone know if I have to do anything on my part to "activate" the step up? Or is there some sort of waiting period, such as end of month or something?

Thanks!
I found it to be automatic,,may not be immediately :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:You could phone them and ask for the upgrade now, or wait until their business process says for their computers to evaluate accounts, which may be several months away. I don't know their processes.

PJW
I'm not at a place where I can make a call right now (in an open office, and my cell phone died last week :( ). I do see now that I can call them until 10:00 PM so maybe I'll do that tonight. I was not aware they accepted calls so late.

I was going to send them an email, but that says it's a 2 day turn around, so I figured I've give this a shot first.

Thanks.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
Topic Author
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Toons wrote:
I found it to be automatic,,may not be immediately :happy

Thanks! I thought it was automatic too. I guess I'm just impatient!
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

bhsince87 wrote:
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:You could phone them and ask for the upgrade now, or wait until their business process says for their computers to evaluate accounts, which may be several months away. I don't know their processes.

PJW
I'm not at a place where I can make a call right now (in an open office, and my cell phone died last week :( ). I do see now that I can call them until 10:00 PM so maybe I'll do that tonight. I was not aware they accepted calls so late.

I was going to send them an email, but that says it's a 2 day turn around, so I figured I've give this a shot first.

Thanks.
Saving $5 per trade will allow you to get a new cellphone in practically no time!😉
Steve
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Surely you can buy a cell phone given your status? :o There's frugal, but this is going to extremes.......
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
highercall

Post by highercall »

I just went through this. I made a trade and was charged $7.00. I called them and was told that it is not automatic if you qualify for Voyager Select. So the person upgraded my account and in about a week I received a welcome note in the mail.
Topic Author
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Surely you can buy a cell phone given your status? :o There's frugal, but this is going to extremes.......
Oh yes, I didn't mean to imply I wasn't buying a new phone. It took a few days to figure out if my old one was salvageable. Turns out it's not worth saving. So now I'm sorting through other options. I hope to have a new one picked out by next week.
Topic Author
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

highercall wrote:I just went through this. I made a trade and was charged $7.00. I called them and was told that it is not automatic if you qualify for Voyager Select. So the person upgraded my account and in about a week I received a welcome note in the mail.

Thanks! That's the kind of info I was hoping for. I'll give them a call tonight or tomorrow morning.
ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 »

The upgrade may not be automatic, but if it was (like it should be) it sure would make for a much better experience for the customer.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

ShiftF5 wrote:The upgrade may not be automatic, but if it was (like it should be) it sure would make for a much better experience for the customer.
You're right about that.

I don't have inside knowledge, but based on hints and bits of information that come out from time to time, I think the infrequent automated process includes evaluating accounts for upgrading and also for downgrading as part of the same sweep (although I believe downgrades based on market movements, rather than share sales, don't happen).

It would be hard to argue, I think, it would be a better customer experience to be downgraded promptly and automatically.

PJW
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I'll add a data point to this thread. We now have enough assets to get status. We got a nice pre-printed thank-you card from some Vanguard VP or somebody for our deposit. But no status yet. I am not in a hurry to claim status nor really need it, so I will wait until they give it to us and let everybody know how long it takes.

I suspect they run a computer job to look for status changes once every quarter or maybe once a year at the end of the 2nd quarter, but are happy to do phone upgrades.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Update: It happened overnight. That was about 6 weeks after assets were high enough and less than 24 hours after writing about it on a public investing forum.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I didn't call them yet. I went to look at new phones last night.

But now I'm thinking about sending them a "Thank You!" note for not reducing my commissions so soon.

In the time since I originally planned to make my trade, the stock I was going to sell is up $1200! :sharebeer