obamacare policy recommendation request [TX]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
randompacking

obamacare policy recommendation request [TX]

Post by randompacking »

This could be a stupid question as I have not done the appropriate research and this is quite last minute. I would like to sign up during the open enrollment period at healthcare.gov for 2015. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good inexpensive plan with good coverage from the open market place. I am 35 years old, unemployed, and currently reside in Texas, if any of that is pertinent.

Thanks for your help.
kenner

Re: obamacare policy recommendation request

Post by kenner »

My understanding is that if you provide all relevant information (age, income, state of residence, etc.) to the Obamacare website, they will provide you with multiple health insurance alternatives.

Just call them for assistance. There are many phone numbers. You might start with this one: 800 318 2596.

Best wishes.
Last edited by kenner on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Isn't open enrollment over? Once you get on the site, things are pretty selp-explanatory. The premiums, along with their associated deductibles and copays, are clearly listed. Be very sure you are OK with the docs that are on the panel, or network, for whatever company you go with. From one insurance company to the next, the docs that are in the network are the only difference, other than maybe some minor customer service differences. Under Obamacare, the plans and coverages are standardized. The less expensive plans get that way becuase they offer less reimbursement to the providers, and therefore have more limited networks of providers.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Back in 2013, I went through the process to find out the cost with national care.
This is the strange part. Just last week I got called by one of the Kansas firms. Kansas isn't in the national pack.
The lady insisted that I wanted this policy. I had to explain to her I had insurance. I finally hung up on her.
She also insisted that the firm had just gotten the app and information from the national exchange.
What a hoot.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

If your expected income is less than 16,000, you will not be able to acquire coverage in Texas through the exchange.
magellan

Post by magellan »

bluemarlin08 wrote:If your expected income is less than 16,000, you will not be able to acquire coverage in Texas through the exchange.
I don't believe that's correct. As I understand it, you can't get premium subsidies if your income is below the medicaid cutoff, but you can buy coverage through the exchange regardless of your income level.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

I correct myself, I meant you can't get a subsidy, certainly can buy a policy off the exchange, sorry for the confusion.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Here's last week's thread about a Texan seeking ACA coverage for the first time:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=157584

You might even want to PM kat78613 who is several days ahead of you researching Texas options, dancing with income guidelines and application process and insurance plans.

Open enrollment deadline is Feb 15.
Topic Author
randompacking

Re: obamacare policy recommendation request [TX]

Post by randompacking »

thank you very much, everyone, for all your guidance. This will guide me in the right direction.