Do you respond to recruiters contacting you?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ThankYouJack

Do you respond to recruiters contacting you?

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:20 am

In the last month or so a lot of recruiters and companies have been contacting me. Mostly through LinkedIn. Is there a "Do not contact me / not currently looking" setting on LinkedIn? If not, I may consider deleting my LinkedIn account since I never really use it. Also, a few recruiters have contacted me directly through email. The last one was for a job in a different part of the country that I have no desire to move to.

I feel that it is polite to respond, yet at the same time, they will know that my email address is active and will often follow up with "Do you know anyone who may be interested"
type emails. What do you do?

John3754

Re: Do you respond to recruiters contacting you?

Post by John3754 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 am

I ignore them.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 am

I generally gave them the names of co-workers I would like to see leave.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 am

Ged wrote:I generally gave them the names of co-workers I would like to see leave.
Ha, maybe that's why I'm getting so many contacting me :)

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 am

I ignore them. I do not think there is any obligation to respond to a cold call.

I find LinkedIn entertaining, so I keep my account.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 am

It's always interesting to see what's out there. I get a lot of these where there is no obvious fit and I don't know anyone who would be interested, but there have been a few that were interesting and we actually got into discussions, even though in the end I stayed put. In one case I was contacted on something that was a great fit for a close friend who was happy to get out of the job he hated.

At the end of the day, you never know when your needs or desires will change in the career area (by your choice or by your employers). So I try to be nice to recruiters :)

Mike

bs010101

Post by bs010101 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:45 am

I've seen two types. One is recruiters who ask me to add them to my network. I ignore those. The other is In-Mails asking if I am interested in a particular role. I always reply to these with a nice message thanking them for contacting me, saying I'm not currently in the market, but perhaps we can be in touch in the future. You never know when you might want them to be contacting you.

Recently, someone mentioned to me that they don't have to pay for the In-Mail unless you reply, so I noticed there is a "no thank you" option that lets you add a message. Perhaps that is the most considerate way to reply?

I am more curt when people call me at work. I don't like that.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:35 am

Never. At 55, I am too old too change jobs.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 am

I am not on LinkedIn, but I am on Careerbuilder and Monster.

I get unsolicited emails all the time.
Many times from Indian recruiters who are spamming anybody with an email address regardless of where and what the position is.
I ignore those.

I will respond with a thank you if the email is addressed directly to me, and if it is at least for a position for which I am qualified.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

rob

Post by rob » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 am

I contact some and ignore most.... most could not be bothered to read your profile first so don't need a response.... I have so far never got a job interesting enough AND paying enough through that channel but I like the pings anyway.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:44 am

Most of these recruiters are just on a wild goose hunt, they are not really interested in you. They probably just found that some key words in your background information matched the key works in some of the clients' job descriptions.

yosef

Post by yosef » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:48 am

Almost never. I hold recruiters in about the same regard as the stereotypical used car salesman.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:54 am

As long as it's a direct hire position I always listen to what they have to say, doesn't hurt to consider your options. Myself and several friends have received very good job offers due to well put together linked in profiles, it's basically a digital resume.

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:19 am

It depends on what mood I'm in. Sometimes I reply to an email, sometimes I'll ignore it.

SpaceMonkey

Post by SpaceMonkey » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:24 am

I don't acknowledge every message, but nor do I make a point to get them to stop contacting me. As others here said, you never know if one of them might actually have something interesting. I got my current job through this kind of solicitation, actually.

FuyuKei

Post by FuyuKei » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 am

I ignore, but don't delete. Might be useful later on. Recruiters usually send out mass messages, so don't feel obligated to respond.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:29 am

I always respond and thank them for their consideration and let them know my requirements for seeking another job which are fairly restrictive.

I am really only open to moving to a very specific part of the country to be closer to my wife's family and really only open to that if my wife can find employment in the area or it needs to be a very large bump up in salary.

You never know.

Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 pm

I usually listen, but recruiters don't seem to actually have any concept of who is qualified for a position. They will randomly contact me about practices only tangentially related to my own in cities I have never been to. I have told a few what I would be looking for if I were to move, but, as much as I could endlessly criticize my current firm, I think it might be the best place to be... for now.

ElJay

Post by ElJay » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:01 pm

I usually ignore them. I did talk with one last summer who didn't have his facts straight with regards to the salary of the position, so it was a waste of time.

Many of them want me to move thousands of miles away. If Amazon wants to spin up a development site near me, I'd love to go in for an interview. But I'm not flying over to Seattle to do it, even on their dime.

I am actually working with a recruiter presently that somebody recommended to me and I hate the experience.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:11 pm

I have linkedin set to bundle all their stuff to me in no more than one email per week. I have a very minimalist profile set up, but still get a fair bit of semi-relevant contacts. If I'm in the mood, and the job is somewhat relevant, I may politely respond with some form of "not interested, but thanks for asking" (too many of them cue in on a particular job I did in the past and have no interest in doing again).

It feels odd, but I think I'm done with job seeking, at least of the career type. I'm at a stage where I could retire, but I still find some stimulation and interest from work. I volunteered for a layoff the other day, but they wouldn't take me up on it.

Savvy

Post by Savvy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:16 pm

In my field, not because of my talent, I get at least 10 emails & calls per week for other job opportunities. I now always ignore them.

Recruiters get a huge bonus if they move me to another company, they usually don't care if it's a good fit.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:03 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:In the last month or so a lot of recruiters and companies have been contacting me. Mostly through LinkedIn. Is there a "Do not contact me / not currently looking" setting on LinkedIn? If not, I may consider deleting my LinkedIn account since I never really use it. Also, a few recruiters have contacted me directly through email. The last one was for a job in a different part of the country that I have no desire to move to.

I feel that it is polite to respond, yet at the same time, they will know that my email address is active and will often follow up with "Do you know anyone who may be interested"
type emails. What do you do?
I've been getting a lot of inquiries from recruiters too - it just means that the job market is picking up - finally! Most of the ones that are targeted come through LinkedIn. However, some of them are clearly from recruiters who have joined a LinkedIn group just so they can see more profiles and send out blast emails. I don't respond to those. FYI, you can change your preferences so that fellow group members can't send you messages and so they can't see your email address. The other way to contact you is via InMail. (Depending on the level of account the sender has, they may be paying to send you the message). You always have the option of accepting on declining an InMail.

But if the request says we are looking for someone with x, y, and z skills and I have mentioned those same skills on my LinkedIn profile, I usually do respond. That shows they are doing a targeted search and that they are actually recruiting in an area that might be of interest to me sometime in the future. My response is generally that I'm not actively in job search. I'm not interested in relocating, nor in contract positions, so if they mention a location that isn't local or if it's for a contract position I generally point that out. Sometimes, I do know of someone who might be a good fit for a job so I pass it along. I have gotten my last two positions through network contacts - they heard about opportunities that were a good match for me. So I like to pay it forward.

I wouldn't delete my LinkedIn account, if I were you. It is a good way keep up with former coworkers and other professional contacts. People's emails change, but if they update their email in LinkedIn then you can still get back in touch. You might need that contact list sometime in the future.

Hunky-dory

Post by Hunky-dory » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:01 am

I always respond. It only takes a minute or two. You never know when you might need to make a move and reaching out to multiple recruiters who have contacted you in the past may be fruitful when the time comes. I think they are also a good resource for what is "marketable" in your field and can be very valuable in determining what your skills are worth on the open market. A lot of people treat recruiters like used car salesman so a little professional courtesy might go a long way. Of course, recruiters are like a lot of other professional contacts - they are not all of equal value to you and many will only help you if they see a potential benefit to themselves.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:44 am

I've been dealing with them almost twenty years. They've been a complete waste of time.

These days I ask if there's a company car provided. That ensures I never hear from them again. (They're on a fishing expedition hoping to place a B level candidate at a C level company at below market rates.)

Rayandron

Post by Rayandron » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 am

I don't get as many inquiries to my LinkedIn as it sounds like many do here, but when I do get inquiries I ignore the obvious spam ones and respond to anything that appears to be written by somebody who demonstrates they at least glanced at my profile and consider it relevant to the position they're trying to fill. I will mention my salary requirements in my response so that they can make the call on whether it is worth our mutual time to continue the conversation or not. Usually they don't which is fine by me since I'm not actively looking anyway.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:12 am

I did once.

One called me at my desk phone when I worked at "The worst company ever" back in 2008. He turned out to be a complete waste of time. Supposedly had some $100K+/year opportunity somewhere near to me that I was a perfect fit for. But the owners of the company were on vacation in Hawaii and an interview would have to wait until they returned.

Apparently they never returned. Or the whole thing was a joke.. Hmm..I did get laid off about two weeks or three weeks later actually. Then the company went bankrupt about six months after that.

Generally I ignore everything on linkedin.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:16 am

I always respond.

Makaveli

Post by Makaveli » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:26 am

Ged wrote:I generally gave them the names of co-workers I would like to see leave.
:twisted: