Poll [Cemetery or Cremation]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.

Cemetery or Cremation?

Cemetery
15%
Cremation
85%

Total votes: 33

Topic Author
exoilman

Poll [Cemetery or Cremation]

Post by exoilman »

What is your desire? I realize age, religion, finances etc. will skew the vote. I see no reason for cemetery but DW disagrees. If my children and grandchildren remember me in their hearts, that works for me. Spend all the money and time on some worthwhile deeds.

Sam
stingray5688

Re: Poll

Post by stingray5688 »

Stuffed.
"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft
Index Fan

Post by Index Fan »

Cremation is cheaper and takes up less space- seems to be fairly Bogleheadish to me ;)
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I'm not sure. Haven't thought that far ahead. Can someone convince me one way or another?
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

Buried with a ATM has my headstone. Heir can only withdraw $300 a day. :-)

Creamation
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Cremation, but interred in the ground because family (mom) already owns 4 cemetery plots (since 1949), and we can put two cremated remains in each plot. We refer to it as "The Family Condo". Kind of boring compared to what my friends have done:

One friend, whose husband passed at 58 and was an avid golfer, snuck into his country club one night and scattered his ashes in the sand traps around his favorite green. Another friend whose husband passed at 59 mixed some of his ashes in the cement anchoring a commemorative bench she had placed next to the lake near their Minnesota home where they lived the past 25 years. Then she flew to Seattle , and scattered some of his ashes at his childhood home, and the remainder in the landscaping around his favorite burger drive-in (an iconic drive-in in Seattle).
Last edited by Gnirk on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

exoilman wrote:I see no reason for cemetery but DW disagrees.
I guess she doesn't want you to make an ash of yourself :oops: ...

- Ron
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

In principle, I believe the choice should be made by the living. Funerals and memorials are for the benefit of the living, not the dead. I much prefer the idea of cremation, but I wouldn't want to judge anyone else's choice. It's whatever comforts the living.

I find many things about the expense, resource usage, and egotism of cemeteries troubling, but one should not undervalue their ability to preserve some kind of open space in cities.

I do think there's something particularly sad and creepy about abandoned cemeteries. It's pretty hard to buy immortality even in memories, and easy to pay for it but not get it.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

Honestly, I don't expect to care - I don't plan to stick around for either.
chaz

Post by chaz »

epilnk wrote:Honestly, I don't expect to care - I don't plan to stick around for either.
Me too. :(
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
harryw

Post by harryw »

Cremation all the way! Also, I want my ashes to be used to fertilize a vegetable patch. To reduce my carbon footprint.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

both of us plan to donate to med school if wanted, which would eventually result in cremation. Otherwise, cremate without intervening delay.
Our personal blog (no ads) of why we saved/invested: https://www.lisajtravels.com/
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Cemetery. The worms got to eat!
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

I'm a woodworker and got my hands on a big old pallet that was made out of Ash. I saved the wood and half thought about making a casket out of it, I still like to tease the kids about using it.

Time changes and I'm not feeling being buried and cremation sounds better to me as I get older. Current thinking is to take the Ash wood and make a nice bar top out of it, I ran it through the planner, its beautiful.

Maybe a person can be cremated in a casket, I don't know, if so I will make a nice pine box.

If the kids feel they need to bury me someplace that's up to them, otherwise toss me in the river or under a nice tree, I have a few spots selected!
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

cheese_breath wrote:Cemetery. The worms got to eat!
Do worms like Embalming Fluid?
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
mhc

Post by mhc »

I don't care, and I expect I really won't care after I pass.

There are other options that the poll does not list. My parents have arranged for a medical school to take their bodies. I hope one of their grandkids does not get them in class.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
leonard

Post by leonard »

cremation - until something cheaper comes along.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

I've always wanted a Viking funeral....but I don't think the local Health Department will issue a permit for that to my survivors.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

A funeral director I know liked to say "Well for $200 two men will come and if you don't ask any questions ..... "

Based on cost alone, I think my family will choose that approach vs. cremation and throwing the ashes in the creek at the end of the road.

But, I prefer giving the body to science and let the med students carve it up. Some one might learn something.
Last edited by RadAudit on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
nw14

Post by nw14 »

FreeAtLast wrote:I've always wanted a Viking funeral....but I don't think the local Health Department will issue a permit for that to my survivors.
That is exactly what I tell my DH I want... I nice funeral pyre set adrift in the ocean from a beautiful beach. Since that isn't going to happen, I voted cremation. I do not want to be embalmed. The idea of all that nastiness pumped into my body freaks me out.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Poll [Cemetery or Cremation]

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not related to personal finance or investing, does not fit in any other forum). See: Forum Policy
Personal Finance

This subforum is for personal financial issues that don't involve investments. Examples of acceptable topics are:

- insurance
- employment issues
- credit card and credit rating issues
- mortgage and loan issues
- legal issues that have a financial component like wills and pre-nuptial agreements

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) financial life. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.
I also retitled the thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.