Buying Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE)??

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Erwin

Buying Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE)??

Post by Erwin »

Is anyone buying Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE)? So very tempting as a long term investment
Erwin
Meg77

Re: Buying Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE)??

Post by Meg77 »

My husband is wanting to...I roll my eyes a bit at his market timing inclinations, but as long as he agrees to hold it forever - i.e. at least 15 years - then I don't care. It'll be a tiny portion of our total portfolio, and it does seem like a decent time to get in for the long haul. I'd rather him bug me about putting money into any investment versus into a golf club membership or some other expense!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Meg77 wrote:My husband is wanting to...I roll my eyes a bit at his market timing inclinations, but as long as he agrees to hold it forever - i.e. at least 15 years - then I don't care. It'll be a tiny portion of our total portfolio, and it does seem like a decent time to get in for the long haul. I'd rather him bug me about putting money into any investment versus into a golf club membership or some other expense!
Agree. My view is that the big, multinational energy companies, in essence the XLE portfolio, have a strong balance sheet. So, it is a matter of time before they will recover, and in the meantime, they are yielding 2.3%, very competitive with bonds. What is not to like?
Erwin
G12

Post by G12 »

I don't know. I look at all the shares I own of VDE, the Vanguard equivalent, @ $62.96 and tell myself I was dumb for not selling when it was > $145.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

So whats the plan? Looking for a quick turnaround on the expected bounce or is this long term and you think the energy sector will outperform the market. Does this change your AA from what your IPS states? I have 5% dedicated to speculation myself. Just be careful since the blades of a falling knife can be sharp. BTW, I was looking into IXC myself but decided against it since I am not comfortable making a call on energy at the moment.