job advice: move to Florida Keys??

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
z06ray

job advice: move to Florida Keys??

Post by z06ray » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Hello all,

It's been a while since I have posted on here. I absolutely love reading all of the threads and am always addicted. Last time I have asked for job advice it seemed to be beneficial so I am hoping for some help here.

I just turned 25 and am in a co-op position for a large company. I am a co-op since I am working on my MBA. I am almost done with the MBA and paying cash as I go along for it so I haven't been in a terrrible hurry especially since my income won't change much at my age after having it. My undergrad degree is from a top 30 university and my MBA is a smaller local University. Fortunately, I have no student loan debt from MBA or Undergrad.

One year ago, I joined my current company after feeling I had a better opportunity. Even though I loved my previous job. I am in purchasing (kinda regret not doing engineering but that is okay). I love manufacturing. I was lured into the new position and was given much more promise to join. The past few months, things have gotten worse. I was set to receive a promotion before I finished my MBA and was going to be completing a "trial period". The trial period was going along okay and there are some things that now I realize I could have done different. The main thing is I lost communication with my boss and he never kept it going either. There were things I wasn't doing that I didn't realize were in my authority. Regardless, it was a communication issue and I take responsiblity. I didn't realize any of this until my boss decided to schedule a meeting with me last week. I am disappointed and my pride is obviously hurt but I will bounce back and take it as a complete learning experience. They are looking to hire someone else. The truth is, I don't really care for the job or company much. I don't consider myself a corporate type person. I don't like the "don't talk to me before I have my morning coffee", office potlucks, office drama/chatter, meeting after meeting, or the 8-5 traffic. I believe that corporate america is bogged down by process and I truly don't get to use knowledge most of the time it's systems and processes that consume my day.

The pay is pretty good for a co-op, ~$41k a year. I get 401k match 75% of 6%. I do have a side business with my brother that nets me an additional ~$4-5k a year. Yes small, but it's fun and can grow.

Now, the florida keys. My brother has been wanting me to come down for a few months. He lives there and has just opened up a promotional product company. Mostly screen printing, business cards, engravings, etc. He has been super busy and doing real well. He really wants me to come down and see how I like it. He owns a few other companies and said that I will be able to get close to the same pay there. For only a couple months, I think it sounds perfect. I am not enrolled in any classes next semester, I do not have rent, I have above average in my roth and 401k, and own my pride and joy's (corvette and motorcycle). I think this is the time to go before the real bills pile up and I get married.

I don't want to live there permanently just temporarily and to get my head straight. My giflfriend of 6.5 years is even okay with the idea. She has a good job here and will stay.

There is a lot of opportunity in the keys and my brother and I have a lot of other potential ideas. I would love to have ties there even though I do not want to live there full time (too laid back).

I do not see anything happening positive with my current job and really do not want to continue to work there. This just seems like the last chance I will have to do anything like it. I have no debts and no ties (aside from girlfriend). Plus, to get out of a Michigan winter....

One other option, I could try to get back with my old company. I still play hockey on the company team and have a lot of friends there.

I am nervous leaving the industry may be difficult to get back into it given that I am young. What do the bogleheads think?

I am sorry that everything is so jumbled, I kinda rambled on. I have thick skin and take every failure as a lesson learned. I am confident that I can succeed at anything I want to. just nervous that I will be making a damaging mistake if I do go.

timboktoo

Re: job advice: move to Florida Keys??

Post by timboktoo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:36 pm

This is a very personal thread, and so it seems to require very personal comments in return. I hope I don't offend you, but I don't want to give bad advice.

The long-distance relationship is a red flag to me. It also sounds as if you're unsure of what you want in life. You're not really taking charge of things. I would make it your focus to find a passion and run with it wherever it takes you. If that's engineering, then quit whatever you're doing and get into engineering. If you're not sure what your passion is, find it quickly. It doesn't sound like you're very interested in Florida. It just sounds like you don't know what you want.

- Tim

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Your only 25 an supposed to take risks! And you're supposed to 'Not know what you want' --- Why settle for the Mega Corp Lifestyle if you don't have to. I'd move to Key West and try it out! ... It's a great place!.... If things don't work out, you can always move back to Mega Corp..... You have a lot of life ahead of you....take risks now, when you're 60 you won't be able to!

Laura

Post by Laura » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:51 pm

I agree with the comment that it doesn't seem that you know what you want. You have an undergraduate degree and are working on an MBA but don't like mega-corp world. Why are you studying for an MBA if you don't like that type of work? If you love engineering then start taking classes in engineering instead. Taking off a semester to work with your brother and have some fun may be okay but you need to figure out what you want to do then get on the path in that direction. Wasting time and money studying for a degree that doesn't get you where you want to go doesn't seem like a good investment to me.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:26 pm

My quick thought based clearly on assumptions:
You aren't happy with the current situation. Job wise, take the jump now, you are young with no long term tenure. Relationship wise, 6.5 years and no formal commitment; well it works for some and not for others. Long distance can make the heart grow stronger and it can also get you and her looking in other directions.

Bottom line: sounds like you have no formal commitments, job or relationship wise. If you have the itch, now is the time to scratch it. At your age don't go through life wondering. It is easier to screw up young with time to fix it than to grow old and not have experienced it.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Ahh the keys....Make sure have good flipflops and watch out for the pop tops.

Mike83

Post by Mike83 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:12 pm

If you see a plausible opportunity to make a national equivalent comp, but in Florida, why wouldn't you? But the GF should either go with it, or pursue other opportunities. Sounds like you will happier with with a business of your own, and Florida is a welcoming state for business. Are you prepared for the hard work and risk?

Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:13 pm

I say go. After 6 months, should you choose to come back, try to return to your old company. They won't even notice you were in Florida. You probably won't have this opportunity again.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:09 pm

My first thought, are you running away from something or running to something? What is most clear about your thread is that you are not clear about what you want. I give you credit for taking responsibility for your situation. I would add, not to judge all "jobs" from this one not so great experience. Finally I am not sure abandoning all you support and taking off to the keys is a wise move. I have nothing against entrepreneurs or the Florida Keys. If that's what you want to do ...then do it. But do it on "your" terms. Your terms are clear idea on what you want to do. No loose ends at home. With specific time horizon on getting you to your goals. Not, leaving girlfriend, hang out in keys, dabble here and there while sleeping on brothers couch for a couple of years. That does not appear to be a sound plan to me.

VesperLynd

Post by VesperLynd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:55 am

You're 25 - this is the time of life to contemplate such moves.

Don't burn out early. Corporate life leaves a lot to be desired.

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:39 pm

I would go.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Young man, grab your cheeseburger in paradise! A little less Warren Buffet and a little more Jimmy Buffett is ok at your age...

Marmot

live your life

Post by Marmot » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Go for it! Don't live life how you are supposed to, live life like you want to. Maybe you will even have fun.

DFWinvestor

Post by DFWinvestor » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:53 pm

MikeWillRetire wrote:Young man, grab your cheeseburger in paradise! A little less Warren Buffet and a little more Jimmy Buffett is ok at your age...
I love this quote and I may borrow it in the future!

Just reading the thread title, my initial reaction was "YES, go to the Florida Keys!". I read the entire post and still have the same reaction as my initial one. You are young, these opportunities don't come along every day, and it's harder the older you get to jump and go. You may regret not going later in life, but I highly doubt you will regret it if you do take the leap.

four7s

Post by four7s » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Having lived in the Keys for 15 years & they were the best years of my life, btw, I highly recommend a move to paradise. You might love it and stay or maybe not and you'll leave. Either way you'll have a great and unusual 'time of your life' and you'll learn why the motto of the Keys residents is "We're all here because we're not all there." Even if you decide to leave and go back to reality I guarantee that as you grow older you'll occasionally find yourself staring off into space dreaming of the ocean and wishing you were sailing again! Don't linger--hurry--The Keys are calling you. GO!

Kevin_OMeara

Post by Kevin_OMeara » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:00 pm

I would go.. plenty of time to jump on the corp treadmill.. go for it..

Mr. Digweed

Post by Mr. Digweed » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm

Motto of the Keys residents -- "We're all here because we're not all there."

I think that's a motto found in more places than just the Keys.

A good expression none the less.

z06ray

Post by z06ray » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:11 am

Uodate: I made it to the keys last Friday. I really appreciate everyone's responses and thank you very much! Now I just need to start making some money lol

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:23 am

I'd caution that one Mega-Corp experience does not equal all Mega-Corp experiences. When I was your age I worked for a large consulting company with many people my age, traveled all over the world, experienced different cultures, met leaders of some of the largest corporations in the world, worked with different systems/business processes, etc etc you get the point. This is experience had a significant impact on my career, help guide me to what I wanted to do, and provided me with the network to get what I want. My suggestion is to go to the recruiting events at your school for undergrads/MBAs and speak to the consulting reps (e.g., Accenture, IBM, Bain, McKinsey, etc.) and see what they have to say. They might surprise you.

Your boss surprising you with bad news or negative feedback is a reflection on him as a leader, not on you as his subordinate. Great leaders, lead. If you decide against working with brother, work for a company who values you and surround yourself with leaders. You will learn and grow so much more because of it.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:52 am

This thread touched a lot of personal things for me, so my response from the heart:

1) Experiencing the same Michigan winter as you right now. Most people I know here are down emotionally (seasonal depression) and it's prompting many to look at career and other changes in life right now. Also, lots of harsh job decisions have been happening this month.

2) The girlfriend thing is a real red flag as well. She is going to have a lot of pain, if you don't figure out how to do this right. My daughter was going out with someone who failed upward in everything he did relating to corporate Michigan: he took the GM buyout and partied overseas and around America for almost a year because he didn't like corporate, he then went to Chrysler and kept getting promoted, but was unhappy. Then he got a pilots license and started an import/export business very successfully, and dumped all that to move to China to start a new business venture. You have similar potential, and now is the time to do it, without hurting those close to you. I am not saying not to go have adventures that further you in life, at all, but figure out where the girlfriend fits in and treat her fairly, whether it means breaking up with her, or seeing her frequently (you two can come back and forth to DTW-FLL on Spirit for $200 bucks every couple of weeks, if you plan well). Just don't waste her time or cheat on her. Be open with her.

3) If you work on this business, learn social marketing as a side part of the rest of what you do. If you come back to corporate america, a smaller firm, or you own gig, these skills will help you, and at your young age, they will be expected of you, and add value.

FredL

Post by FredL » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:39 pm

If you haven't take an engineering course, how do you know you like it? You can take free college course online, though. You may try the popular coursera.org to see what you like. If you don't know coursera, it was started by two Stanford University professors and now has more than 100 universities from all over the world participating.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:27 am

Your current job is a dead end. Learn from the communication problem.

Why is the Florida opportunity only for a few months as opposed to longer term? In any event, I would try it.

At your age, you can experiment and find out what you want to do. There is still plenty of time to consider engineering, but I warn you that when I ran an engineering group I used to encounter people who thought they'd love it but when push came to shove were driven crazy by the attention to detail it requires. Find out if you are okay with that.