Downloading TurboTax - tips for an easy process

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
FrogPrince

Downloading TurboTax - tips for an easy process

Post by FrogPrince » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:03 pm

TurboTax is available for Vanguard customers with varying prices depending on your Vanguard client level. Intuit has made it especially difficult this year to find and download the products. (This is for those who need to download - I don't know how easy the online version is to sign up for). I ran into issues that I was able to solve with posts across the interwebs.I thought I'd compile everything from my experience so people can have it in one place.

To download Deluxe or Premier:
* Sign in to your Vanguard account
* Go to https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... i/turbotax and click on 'Get started now and save' on the right
* This will bring up a window from Intuit
* DO NOT sign in with your Intuit account. If you have, make sure you are signed out and your Intuit cookies are cleared. See below for instructions on how to do this.
* Scroll down in the Intuit window to the 'Download' icon, and click on 'See Products'
* Click on the product you want & choose PC or Mac - if you need Home & Business, see below on how to get a discount
* If at this step it asks you about signing up for TurboTax Advantage without offering a 'No Thanks' button, the cookies have not been cleared. See below for clearing the Intuit cookies. Click on the 'No Thanks' button
* It should show the product you chose in your shopping cart. If it shows an empty cart, use your back button to go back to the product list, and choose your product again and repeat the above steps
* Click on 'Checkout' and proceed to complete the purchase. At this point you can log in to your Intuit account if you wish to complete the checkout
* Done! Whew - this is harder than a Hogwarts Invisibility spell!

To sign out of your Intuit (not Vanguard) account and clear your Intuit cookies:
* In the Intuit window, click the three horizontal bars on the top left
* Click on 'Sign out'
* Once signed out, uncheck 'Remember Me' and sign in again
* Sign out again
This should clear your cookies and now you can resume your download process

To get discounted Home & Business:
* Purchase the Premier version
* Once the app is installed, open it and click on 'Upgrade' at the top right
* You should see the upgrade offer for $10

Good luck!

southport

Re: Downloading TurboTax - tips for an easy process

Post by southport » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:16 pm

So if you're Flagship the total was about $20?

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:22 pm

Thank you for this outstanding post. Tell me if this makes sense as I have used TTax in the last several years. I had done it through the Vanguard portal. I have not done it yet through Vanguard for the 2014 tax year as I am waiting until things are "finalized" about Dec 25th or so.. So I logged onto TTax. It is showing me Premier for $9.99 + state additional. When I click on state additional, it has some number and it is crossed out and written as zero now. Do you think they "know" I am Vanguard Flagship? In any case, I assume you see the price before you pay and download it right?

FrogPrince

Post by FrogPrince » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Based on the information at https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... i/turbotax if you're Flagship you should get the whole enchilada (Home&Business) for $20 plus tax if any.
southport wrote:So if you're Flagship the total was about $20?

FrogPrince

Post by FrogPrince » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:06 pm

You're absolutely welcome! Yes, they know your Vanguard level because you log in to Vanguard first, and the price in red is what you should end up paying.
Calm Man wrote:Thank you for this outstanding post. Tell me if this makes sense as I have used TTax in the last several years. I had done it through the Vanguard portal. I have not done it yet through Vanguard for the 2014 tax year as I am waiting until things are "finalized" about Dec 25th or so.. So I logged onto TTax. It is showing me Premier for $9.99 + state additional. When I click on state additional, it has some number and it is crossed out and written as zero now. Do you think they "know" I am Vanguard Flagship? In any case, I assume you see the price before you pay and download it right?

trailmk

Post by trailmk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Thank you for your post on downloading TurboTax.

You have saved countless hours and much frustration for many of us. I know how tedious it is to develop instructions for an online procedure, Thank you for your generous donation of your time and effort.

Happy Holidays!

Cernel

Post by Cernel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Thank you for this post.
I had already spent an hour+ trying to download this years TT and wasn't able to, only getting more frustrated by the minute. I finally decided to do a search on this site and low and behold, I came across your thread.

Thanks for your efforts to post. It is clear and it works.

Maybe you should inquire about a job at Intuit. :D They can use some help with their site/instructions.

jonbois

Post by jonbois » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks..FrogPrince..I couldn't get it to work until I cleared turbotax cookies as you advised..then it was smooth sailing.

jon

OhioGozaimas

Post by OhioGozaimas » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks, FrogPrince!

I should have thought to check Bogleheads immediately when it wouldn't download.

You were exactly right!

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:44 pm

To clarify, for those of us not yet in the >$1m-in-Vanguard-accounts territory, am I reading the price sheet right that says Vanguard charges $90 for Deluxe including a state form, as compared to the $70 Amazon charges?

Also, am I right that this statement on the Vanguard page is false? "Users filing Schedules C or F must use TurboTax Home & Business. This applies to both TurboTax Online and Desktop products."

I know TurboTax steers Schedule C users to Home and Business, but it is my understanding that this is not a requirement. Deluxe includes Schedule C. At least that's what TurboTax says here.

EDIT: I answered the Schedule C question myself. Turbotax seems to have created some kind of crippled version of Schedule C that they include in Deluxe and Premier.

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks FrogPrince!

bslice

Post by bslice » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:02 pm

THANKS!

Higman

Post by Higman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks FrogPrince. Your instructions worked for me. Just a FYI though. After I installed TT Premier I found a small debug.log file in my TT folder (where the .tax2014 file is located). This concerned me enough, thinking the installation failed, that I researched Intuit and found that it is normal and also you may see a cache file there also. See:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/25808 ... wapi&tags=

FrogPrince

Post by FrogPrince » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:18 am

Cernel and everyone else - you're very welcome! Consider it my gift to you for the holidays :)

Oh I doubt I can get a job there - making things absurdly complex while squeezing more money from loyal customers is unfortunately not my forté :twisted:
Cernel wrote:Thank you for this post.
I had already spent an hour+ trying to download this years TT and wasn't able to, only getting more frustrated by the minute. I finally decided to do a search on this site and low and behold, I came across your thread.

Thanks for your efforts to post. It is clear and it works.

Maybe you should inquire about a job at Intuit. :D They can use some help with their site/instructions.

jimkinny

Post by jimkinny » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for the post.

I am pretty sure I will stop using TurboTax. I have used it for maybe 12 years now.

I do not understand why TT, google, MS, apple etc.... want us to use the cloud for storing data and I do understand the appeal but I am confident it is not purely out of benevolence and good will.

I read constantly how this company or that company has been hacked and I do not want to store financial information on the web, TT included.

I browsed H&R Blocks tax software last week and I am pretty sure they have a simple download button, or maybe it was on Amazon that I saw it.

Jim

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm thanking you in advance. I think it is horrible that they make it such a frustrating process to download. It won't make me go to the cloud version -- I will go elsewhere. Vanguard should put some pressure on them to make it easier since their customers have this as a perk. It kind of makes a perk into a problem - why is that a good idea??

If I were Vanguard I'd ask (tell) them my customers deserve better service than that - you will have to improve it if this relationship is going to continue and I'd send them the work around email.

rockylou

Post by rockylou » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:28 pm

I am flagship but always purchase TT software as I also do my sons' taxes. If I use TT on vanguard site, can I use for my sons? Thanks

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:30 pm

rockylou wrote:I am flagship but always purchase TT software as I also do my sons' taxes. If I use TT on vanguard site, can I use for my sons? Thanks
You are not really using TT on the VG site. Instead you are actually on the TT site which you may have gained access through VG.
I can't imagine why you couldn't prepare as many returns as you like. I can't remember for sure, but, I think that TT will only allow one efile without paying an additional fee.
Bob

trailmk

Post by trailmk » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks, FrogPrince

I downloaded TurboTax Premium today and your instructions worked perfectly. In fact, I started the process without reviewing your post and Zap! I was off track almost immediately. Thanks to you, when I started over and followed your notes, the process went perfectly.

Your instructions are awesome. I never would have scrolled down past the first TurboTax login without your instructions.

mktrail

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:33 am

I am still seeing a price of 74.99 even when logging in through vanguard. Does the price change to free after putting in cc info?
Mike

brmlburt

Post by brmlburt » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:38 am

Thank-you very much, FrogPrince, for the clear and helpful suggestions. Though I made a few missteps along the way, I was able to follow your advice and obtain a version of TurboTax 2014 (Home and Business) that is able to handle both asset sales (with capital gains or losses) and Schedule C income (with high business expenses). The total cost when obtaining the package through the Vanguard website and following FrogPrince's suggestions was $10.60. Before encountering the Prince's useful advice, I was very close to switching to competing H&R Block tax software, even though I've used TurboTax for more than 20 years. Based on the discussion in Amazon reviews of the latest versions of TurboTax, I concluded that, even with coupons and an Amazon sale price, the price of the lowest cost version of TurboTax that would serve my needs would be 45% to 55% higher for the 2014 tax year compared with the 2013 tax year. Since there was no change in tax law that could account for such a dramatic price hike, I concluded that the only practical step to avoid the higher cost was to switch tax preparation software ... incurring the risk that H&R Block would be harder to use or might not serve my needs. Instead, I obtained TurboTax at the lowest nominal price I have every paid, going back to the late 1980s.

I appreciate the time and dedication it takes to guide users of the website through the nonintuitive steps needed to get a low-cost version of TurboTax. Thank-you once again!